search

Author Topic: The Kitchens' Sink: Welcome Back  (Read 985 times)

Offline James Kitchens

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Barleywine
« on: June 25, 2022, 04:41:14 PM »

Welcome back, your dreams were your ticket out
Welcome back, to that same old place that you laughed about

Well the names have all changed since you hung around
But those dreams have remained and they've turned around

Who'd have thought they'd lead ya (Who'd have thought they'd lead ya)
Back here where we need ya (Back here where we need ya)

Yeah we tease him a lot 'cause we got him on the spot, welcome back
Welcome back, welcome back, welcome back
Welcome back, welcome back, welcome back

--- www.lyricsondemand.com

As some on here know, things have recently changed in terms of upcoming ownership of the website. For anyone else, the important fact to know is that I am working with Mike to assume the mantle of leadership here again. These changes will not happen suddenly. For the most part, barely anything will change for probably the next year or more.

The forums will not change any time soon, if ever, that much is for sure. Also, when things do start to happen, I will do my best to work with someone who can maintain the character and continuity of the forums, as that part of the site is currently the core of the operation. Make no mistake, no matter what happens going forward, my mandate will first be "do no harm" when it comes to the key components of this place. That starts with the forums.

The areas around here that I am hoping will have the biggest changes starting sooner than later will likely be the blogs. Both this blog, as well as the TBS blogs (general and news), will hopefully be far more active starting some time later this year. I am currently going through the finishing touches on a few bigger life changes (mostly at work). But I am hoping to be able to keep the flow of posts on the blogs at about 1-2 per week initially. Maybe more frequently at some point in the future, but I'm not sure of that yet. I do plan to at least maintain my own writings here more frequently than the current "once per decade" pace I've had in the last.....decade+.

Another change I am hoping to initiate in the somewhat near future is the social media presence of the business. Mostly Twitter and a few other spots. Nothing major. Just enough activity to begin the process of re-setting our public footprint for the business long term. That will maybe include other spots like Facebook, Instagram, maybe TikTok, etc. I haven't yet figured out how that might look long term. Also, just because I've mentioned a few social media ideas here, don't take that to mean any or all of them will actually happen. Again, no formal plans have been established. So if you're antisocial (media), then you may still get your way in all of this.

One last point on the resurrection of this website and business --- anything I do to build this place from a business perspective will be done with the history of this place in mind. Meaning that the forums will be maintained. Meaning that reviews, databases, and the current information will be maintained. Meaning that the current group of VIP members won't be forgotten. Meaning that any commercial efforts to monetize this place will be handled in a way that is consistent with the original ethos of this place. The bottom line will be that I want to make any potential long term commercialization efforts as unintrusive as possible. I would rather not pursue something if it damages this place, of that you can be sure.

So if you have questions, thoughts, ideas, or anything at all regarding the future of this place, please join in the conversation in the forums. There are threads in the Non-Beer Related areas of the forums for these purposes. Otherwise, we will begin the very, very slow walk toward a real business around here at some nebulous point in the future. Maybe.

"Tenny mucho mucho deniro in su trucky trailer?"

Offline Westside Threat

• VIP and TBS Founding Member
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Barleywine
  • Carpe Cervisiam
Re: The Kitchens' Sink: Welcome Back
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2022, 05:29:07 PM »
Let’s do it
Should we take a cab home, Jesus?
Shit man, we can hoof it from here.
I know you can walk on water...
But can you walk on this much beer?

Offline James Kitchens

• Administrator
  • Barleywine
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2022, 07:12:07 PM »
I'll be happy if I can even get started on things by the end of Claire's first year at LMU, to be honest.

Offline flyingbison

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2022, 08:49:34 AM »

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • American Sour Ale
    • Research page @ Lambic.info
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2022, 12:51:02 PM »
If there was some sort of beer news aggregator set up to auto-post to the TBS blog, that would be cool. Otherwise, we often just repost select beer news in the forum.

Offline James Kitchens

• Administrator
  • Barleywine
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2022, 03:07:06 PM »
If there was some sort of beer news aggregator set up to auto-post to the TBS blog, that would be cool. Otherwise, we often just repost select beer news in the forum.

I have been looking into this exact idea over the weekend. I've considered doing something on the forums, on the site itself, or even just starting a WordPress TBS blog for news. So far haven't found anything that works, but I'll keep looking.

Offline urbanhack

• VIP and TBS Founding Member
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • no manches
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2022, 04:24:44 PM »
Check out Feedly.  Not sure you can import a feed from them into the site.

I have competitor and market intelligence software that we sell where I can possibly create some aggregated news feeds that can either be delivered via email newsletter or pushed to a "dashboard" that could be embedded on the site inside an iframe.
i'm not good at putting this stuff in words but i can't see myself with anyone else except maybe urbanhack.

Offline James Kitchens

• Administrator
  • Barleywine
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2022, 05:35:30 PM »
Thanks. I'll look at this.

I am also completely open to adding or doing anything sooner than later that will upgrade the usefulness of the site without changing the forums or other areas.