search

Author Topic: Headed to California in August  (Read 3352 times)

Offline BryanC

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Old Ale
Headed to California in August
« on: June 08, 2022, 04:11:53 PM »
The family and I are finally doing the west coast trip we've been threatening for the last few years.  It's kind of all over the place, but that tends to be how we roll.  Flying into Vegas on 8/3, then drive to AZ / Grand Canyon for a couple days.  Then heading to LA for Six Flags (my oldest has become something of a roller coaster nerd and she has been dying to go to this one).  Then doing Sequoia National Park, Monterrey Aquarium, then back to LA for Disney and not sure what else.  Then back to Vegas flying out on the 17th.

My wallet is hurting but I'm glad to finally be going on this trip.

Any recommendations?  Would love to meet up for a beer or a meal with anybody if the timing works out.

:cheers:

Offline urbanhack

• VIP and TBS Founding Member
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • no manches
Re: Headed to California in August
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2022, 04:42:19 PM »
i'm not good at putting this stuff in words but i can't see myself with anyone else except maybe urbanhack.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • American Sour Ale
    • Research page @ Lambic.info
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2022, 04:57:09 PM »
:thumbup:

Gonna be hot out there.

We really liked going to that weird, kitschy Flinstones park south of the Grand Canyon. I realize that may not be for everyone, but it's good for a photo op at least. Called "Raptor Ranch" now I guess.

Always wanted to go to the old sign museum "graveyard" in Vegas, and the pinball museum.

Kern River near Sequoia Natl Park, are they still any good? :popcorn:

Offline BryanC

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale

Online Westside Threat

• VIP and TBS Founding Member
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Barleywine
  • Carpe Cervisiam
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2022, 07:58:50 PM »
California is a really big place.  Make sure you understand how FAR away everything is, taking traffic into consideration (as you get into LA county)

When doing Monterrey, make sure you drive the coast, don't get suckered into taking an inland freeway even if its quicker.  Inland California is one disgusting place (no scenery, heat, dust storms, insects, smell of cow farms, you name it....sorry Gator). 

Paso Robles is excellent for wine tasting, dare I say the best in California.  Happy to supply reccs.

I live at the corner of 405 & 101 freeways (not literally but figuratively).  You will most likely be six minutes away from my house at some point.  Love to host your family, cook some bbq and do some swimming. 

If you are into shit shows, Venice beach is always there.   

Getty museum amongst others are good options.

Sort of depends on what floats your boat
Should we take a cab home, Jesus?
Shit man, we can hoof it from here.
I know you can walk on water...
But can you walk on this much beer?

Online howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • If I've offended you, it made me happy.
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2022, 08:09:03 PM »
I went to Venice Beach pre-covid, and I understand it's much worse now, but it was the highlight of the trip.

Offline unclejedi

• VIP Member
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2022, 10:51:33 PM »
California is a really big place.  Make sure you understand how FAR away everything is, taking traffic into consideration (as you get into LA county)

When doing Monterrey, make sure you drive the coast, don't get suckered into taking an inland freeway even if its quicker.
Very true, as someone who has done lots of road trips out there, what you've listed sounds like a whole weeks worth of just driving...
and going to Monterrey, PCH is the best (as long as it is open, frequent landslides,) but the 101 is only inland for parts, and pretty scenic most of the way.  If you take the PCH, Hearst Castle is kinda cool.

Also, in Monterrey, there is a pretty good Salvador Dali exhibit, if anybody cares about art...

https://www.mhaadali.com
Kern River brewing is close to Sequoia as the crow flies, but not really by driving.  It is a cool place to visit, though.
non-conformists are all the same...

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2022, 08:21:24 AM »
Paso Robles is excellent for wine tasting, dare I say the best in California.  Happy to supply reccs.

While in Paso Robles I went to Herman Story, Tablas and Halter Ranch.  Curious as to your thoughts on them. :coffee:

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2022, 09:02:40 AM »

While in Paso Robles I went to Herman Story, Tablas and Halter Ranch.  Curious as to your thoughts on them. :coffee:

TT drinks wine? :o :thumbup:

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2022, 10:45:08 AM »

TT drinks wine? :o :thumbup:

Not nearly as often as beer, but yes. 

Offline BryanC

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2022, 10:20:02 PM »

When doing Monterrey, make sure you drive the coast, don't get suckered into taking an inland freeway even if its quicker.  Inland California is one disgusting place (no scenery, heat, dust storms, insects, smell of cow farms, you name it....sorry Gator). 

I live at the corner of 405 & 101 freeways (not literally but figuratively).  You will most likely be six minutes away from my house at some point.  Love to host your family, cook some bbq and do some swimming. 

If you are into shit shows, Venice beach is always there.   

Getty museum amongst others are good options.

Sort of depends on what floats your boat

Definitely planning on driving the coast.  Getty is definitely on the list.  Probably going to skip the wine tasting with 3 kids with us, though I appreciate the thought.

I would definitely be down for a BBQ.  Very generous of you to offer.  Now I just gotta talk the wife into it.  :unsure:

Offline BryanC

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2022, 10:21:00 PM »

When doing Monterrey, make sure you drive the coast, don't get suckered into taking an inland freeway even if its quicker.
Very true, as someone who has done lots of road trips out there, what you've listed sounds like a whole weeks worth of just driving...
and going to Monterrey, PCH is the best (as long as it is open, frequent landslides,) but the 101 is only inland for parts, and pretty scenic most of the way.  If you take the PCH, Hearst Castle is kinda cool.

Also, in Monterrey, there is a pretty good Salvador Dali exhibit, if anybody cares about art...

https://www.mhaadali.com
Kern River brewing is close to Sequoia as the crow flies, but not really by driving.  It is a cool place to visit, though.

I would love to see the Dali exhibit if there is time.  The museum in Tampa was one of the highlights of my time there.  Thanks for the tip.

Offline sunscar22

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2022, 12:01:16 PM »
Let me know the date you are driving down from Monterey.  You'll be passing right through my town (Arroyo Grande).  I can meet up for a meal/drink or stop by and the kids can jump in the pool for a bit to get off the road.  No pressure if y'all end up just wanting to gun it down to Disney though. 

Offline BryanC

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2022, 03:36:19 PM »
Hey guys,

Just want to say I really appreciate the offers.  After looking at the schedule my wife laid out, I don’t think we’re going to have time to meet up with anyone.

Keep your fingers crossed that we can stay healthy until the return trip at least.

Offline James Kitchens

• Barleywine
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2022, 06:01:46 PM »
We are heading to Los Angeles this coming weekend. Actually driving, believe it or not. Dropping the daughter off at Loyola Marymount for college. Leaving Saturday the 20th from Chicago, hoping to get there by late Monday or Tuesday, then coming back maybe the Following Friday or Saturday.

If anyone has suggestions for things to see along the way, let me know. Biggest ball of twine in Utah, smallest roller coaster in Kansas, etc.
"Tenny mucho mucho deniro in su trucky trailer?"

Offline sunscar22

• Quadrupel
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2022, 06:18:54 PM »
Hey guys,

Just want to say I really appreciate the offers.  After looking at the schedule my wife laid out, I don’t think we’re going to have time to meet up with anyone.

Keep your fingers crossed that we can stay healthy until the return trip at least.

Enjoy your trip and drive safely.

Offline sunscar22

• Quadrupel
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2022, 06:22:33 PM »
We are heading to Los Angeles this coming weekend. Actually driving, believe it or not. Dropping the daughter off at Loyola Marymount for college. Leaving Saturday the 20th from Chicago, hoping to get there by late Monday or Tuesday, then coming back maybe the Following Friday or Saturday.

If anyone has suggestions for things to see along the way, let me know. Biggest ball of twine in Utah, smallest roller coaster in Kansas, etc.

I like stopping in Glenwood Springs and soaking near the river.  Moab Utah is great in that it is centrally located near a bunch of national parks if you have the time.  You'll be passing through Vegas.  Most stops I know of take some time to see. 

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2022, 11:31:12 AM »
Salton Sea is pretty weird, also Slab City. :unsure:

Offline James Kitchens

• Barleywine
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2022, 01:33:26 PM »
Pretty sure we will take I-70 west, which means going through Denver and Vegas. So that leaves out anything south of LA obviously. Also, the wife and daughter have already figured out several things they want to see along the way. But I'll bring up the above ideas also.

Offline James Kitchens

• Barleywine
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2022, 01:34:37 PM »

I like stopping in Glenwood Springs and soaking near the river.  Moab Utah is great in that it is centrally located near a bunch of national parks if you have the time.  You'll be passing through Vegas.  Most stops I know of take some time to see. 

I actually have a friend I haven't talked to in years who lives in Glenwood Springs. Debating whether to say anything, since I don't know the timing....

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2022, 02:20:14 PM »

WST lives there...

Not in LA proper, but El Segundo makes among the best West Coast IPAs you'll find.

Offline James Kitchens

• Barleywine
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2022, 04:04:58 PM »

WST lives there...

Not in LA proper, but El Segundo makes among the best West Coast IPAs you'll find.

Been talking to him about the trip. Problem is the driving part. Not sure when exactly we'll be there, and how much time we'll have. I might be out of luck with meeting him because of schedules for either or both of us.

I'll look into the IPA if I can while I'm there. Anyone else have other suggestions about beers to bring back from the area?