search

Author Topic: Homebrew with grocery store ingredients  (Read 623 times)

Offline beastiefan2k

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Double IPA
Homebrew with grocery store ingredients
« on: January 23, 2022, 09:00:05 PM »
My club's beer is ingredients one can buy at a grocery store. I looked stuff up on the interwebs. This seems to be the best
https://barleyandthehops.com/brewing-a-beer-with-only-grocery-store-ingredients/

Some talk using sweet potatoes as well.

Anyone every do anything like this? Any advice or ideas?

Offline smellysell

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Old Ale
Re: Homebrew with grocery store ingredients
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2022, 09:09:31 PM »
Have to use grocery store yeast too?

Kvass maybe?

Javit› Nothing kills a boner like Jesus

braconid› I could have fucked her, but she was pure so I just went with the oral

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2022, 10:12:15 PM »
Have to use grocery store yeast too?

Kvass maybe?
I plan on using bread yeast even though we are allowed to use US-05.

I was sort of thinking something akin to kvass, even bought some Russian style black bread.

My biggest concern is turning starches into sugars without germinated grains.

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2022, 10:13:45 PM »
I should add, I am just making a gallon batch and can mess around.  Not committing to 5 gallons here.

Offline wisconsinbeer1

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Double IPA
  • 40 oz. to Freedom
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2022, 10:33:21 PM »
Interesting. Keep us updated
“Great ballplayers drink Lite beer because it’s less filling. I know. I asked one.” -Bob Uecker

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
    • Research page @ Lambic.info
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2022, 10:52:35 PM »
Get raisins for the kvass, golden if you can find them. A lot of recipes also add fresh herbs or spices.

Spontaneously ferment? That’s how I made tepache once.

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2022, 11:23:33 PM »
Get raisins for the kvass, golden if you can find them. A lot of recipes also add fresh herbs or spices.

Nice idea on the raisins.  I wont be making kvass kvass but it may have a bit of a kvass quality.  ;D

Technically, I could harvest yeast from another beer since that would fit the criteria but I worry about spont fermenting since it is already likely to taste a little off. Plus, 100+ year old Bmore home doesn't seem like the best place for diverse and exciting microflora for beer making. Maybe I should chew up some of the fementables and spit them into the wort, chicha style.  :)

tepache you say. tell me more.

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • If I've offended you, it made me happy.
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2022, 06:27:08 AM »
There's a dizzying array of grains available at grocery stores now, even more so at a Whole Foods, or specialty grocer.  Stuff like bulgur, freekeh, amaranth, etc.  Wonder what would happen if you boiled down some of those hop seltzers, could you get to something close to hop syrup?

Offline wisconsinbeer1

• VIP Member
  • Double IPA
  • 40 oz. to Freedom
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2022, 07:31:37 AM »
https://hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/d/7/2/d72ad53c71e38ba5/bbr12-02-21breadyeastsampler.mp3?c_id=116676617&cs_id=116676617&expiration=1643031487&hwt=8983eb726d24b708b43ba79031f8f044

Here’s a clip from Basic Brewing Radio where they compare beers made with yeast bought at the grocery store. Pretty interesting.
“Great ballplayers drink Lite beer because it’s less filling. I know. I asked one.” -Bob Uecker

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2022, 10:26:09 AM »

Nice idea on the raisins.  I wont be making kvass kvass but it may have a bit of a kvass quality.  ;D

Technically, I could harvest yeast from another beer since that would fit the criteria but I worry about spont fermenting since it is already likely to taste a little off. Plus, 100+ year old Bmore home doesn't seem like the best place for diverse and exciting microflora for beer making. Maybe I should chew up some of the fementables and spit them into the wort, chicha style.  :)

Draai Laag harvested yeast from an antique cabinet once :D The beer was actually pretty good. But yeah, spontaneous may take a lot longer to get something decent.

I made tepache the old fashioned way with a pineapple core, and piloncillo sugar. Spontaneously fermented for 5-7 days in a cloth covered pitcher at room temp. It was tart and Bretty. I took it to a party in a bag, like it's sold in Mexico, but people were horrified by that for some reason. More for me :ale:

Offline borrowedladder

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Old Ale
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2022, 05:33:55 PM »

Draai Laag harvested yeast from an antique cabinet once :D The beer was actually pretty good. But yeah, spontaneous may take a lot longer to get something decent.

I made tepache the old fashioned way with a pineapple core, and piloncillo sugar. Spontaneously fermented for 5-7 days in a cloth covered pitcher at room temp. It was tart and Bretty. I took it to a party in a bag, like it's sold in Mexico, but people were horrified by that for some reason. More for me :ale:

You pulled out a non sealable plastic bag from what looked like you crotch region filled with a yellow liquid.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2022, 08:17:30 PM »

You pulled out a non sealable plastic bag from what looked like you crotch region filled with a yellow liquid.

Non-sealable? It was a ziploc bag in a shoulder bag. Can’t really transport an open bag of liquid. :confused:

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2022, 07:47:39 PM »
I’d pay extra for that

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2022, 07:51:06 PM »
I can't believe that this was the only yeast they used.  Why would that yeast be good for beer?

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2022, 08:47:09 PM »
I can't believe that this was the only yeast they used.  Why would that yeast be good for beer?

It was probably an airborne wild yeast that adhered to the wax layer and was preserved somehow, potentially for centuries. Not unlike wild yeast that is captured/cultivated today. I think the antique part is more of a novelty for a good story.

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2022, 01:21:20 AM »
Jeez, I’m so tired. I got a 1032 beer out of bread, sweet potatoes, unmarked wheat, and honey. Just pitched the Red Star bread yeast (and some dregs from Boom Black Label).

I don’t know if it was all worth it.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2022, 09:39:24 AM »
Jeez, I’m so tired. I got a 1032 beer out of bread, sweet potatoes, unmarked wheat, and honey. Just pitched the Red Star bread yeast (and some dregs from Boom Black Label).

Unmilled? Did you crush all this up by hand?

Offline JJ

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2022, 10:14:20 AM »

Unmilled? Did you crush all this up by hand?
The Force is what gives a brewer his power. It's an energy field created by yeast. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It converts polysaccharides to ethyl alcohol.

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2022, 11:23:04 AM »
damn autocorrect.

yes, unmilled.

Fermenting as we speak.

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2022, 12:30:13 AM »
I racked it into a growler that carbonates on Friday.  Got it down to about 1004 with the bread yeast, damn! Gave it a taste and it was not bad at all. Very lemony and light.  Hoping to give it a real sample on Thursday at the club meeting.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2022, 10:54:44 AM »
I racked it into a growler that carbonates on Friday.  Got it down to about 1004 with the bread yeast, damn! Gave it a taste and it was not bad at all. Very lemony and light.  Hoping to give it a real sample on Thursday at the club meeting.

:thumbup:

Any trace of sweet potato?

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2022, 10:31:11 PM »

haha. I have tried a decent number of potato beers over the years and can absolutely say that I can never pick up potato in a beer. Not this one either.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2022, 11:04:55 PM »

haha. I have tried a decent number of potato beers over the years and can absolutely say that I can never pick up potato in a beer. Not this one either.
It’s all starch that all gets eaten up, but if they’re roasted/caramelized, surely that would lend something? Guess all the beers i’m thinking of that pick up flavor are other root veg like beets and carrots. They must have more complex sugars?

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2022, 12:19:46 AM »
Not sure I could taste beet in a beer either.  Beets are seemingly a great source of sugar but not sure much flavor gets left behind. I have not had a lot of beers with beet added. Perhaps a grittiness comes to mind but I could just be making it up. Don’t think I’ve ever had a carrot beer. Pumpkin beers are commonplace but all the flavor seems to come from the spices.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2022, 10:04:40 AM »
Not sure I could taste beet in a beer either.  Beets are seemingly a great source of sugar but not sure much flavor gets left behind. I have not had a lot of beers with beet added. Perhaps a grittiness comes to mind but I could just be making it up. Don’t think I’ve ever had a carrot beer. Pumpkin beers are commonplace but all the flavor seems to come from the spices.

Beet is a pretty strong flavor, very earthy like soil. Good examples are Crane Beet Weiss and Furthermore Thermo Refur. Definitely a love or hate thing. Scratch and Keeping together make carrot beers, they are earthy also, with a bit more sweetness and an herbal note from the tops I guess. I've had an unspiced roasted pumpkin beer before, it was subtle but good. Definitely had a squash like veg flavor.

We brewed with pumpkin seeds once which was pretty good but also too subtle. The key is to roast the ingredients, and use a shit ton. Maybe even dehydrate them before brewing?

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2022, 12:41:42 PM »

Beet is a pretty strong flavor, very earthy like soil. Good examples are Crane Beet Weiss and Furthermore Thermo Refur. Definitely a love or hate thing. Scratch and Keeping together make carrot beers, they are earthy also, with a bit more sweetness and an herbal note from the tops I guess. I've had an unspiced roasted pumpkin beer before, it was subtle but good. Definitely had a squash like veg flavor.

We brewed with pumpkin seeds once which was pretty good but also too subtle. The key is to roast the ingredients, and use a shit ton. Maybe even dehydrate them before brewing?

I really liked this beer.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2022, 12:43:13 PM »

:hifive:
Same. Whatever happened to Furthermore? :popcorn:

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2022, 01:00:45 PM »

They were contract brewing and then sold the brand/recipes when it never really took off enough to fund a brewery.  Eventually the recipes weren't produced anymore either.

Offline wisconsinbeer1

• VIP Member
  • Double IPA
  • 40 oz. to Freedom
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2022, 01:57:26 PM »

They were contract brewing and then sold the brand/recipes when it never really took off enough to fund a brewery.  Eventually the recipes weren't produced anymore either.

Holy shit I haven’t thought of Furthermore in years. I actually really liked their beer.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2022, 03:07:12 PM »

Holy shit I haven’t thought of Furthermore in years. I actually really liked their beer.

I liked Three Feet Deep and Makeweight pretty well. Thermo Refur was memorable, big beets, pepper, and Brett. Maybe the most vegetal beer i've ever had.

Offline smellysell

• Old Ale
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2022, 04:27:44 PM »
I'm just glad I got confirmation that beets taste like dirt. I'm calling my mother shortly...

Javit› Nothing kills a boner like Jesus

braconid› I could have fucked her, but she was pure so I just went with the oral