search

Author Topic: Avon, CO  (Read 1276 times)

Offline beastiefan2k

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Double IPA
Avon, CO
« on: January 03, 2022, 01:09:19 PM »
I find myself in ski country in CO. Here for just a few days.  Avon appears to be a bit of a beer desert, which is surprising for CO. Vail, which is about 20 minutes away, has 2 brewpubs but that is about it.  Might head over there by bus (I have no car) to try out the 2 uninspiring-appearing brewpubs.

The really interesting thing is that cold beer is very unappealing as soon as the sun starts to set. We went to a local tap and grill type place last night that had about 8 taps (4 macros, SN IPA, a Vail tap, and 2 other local IPAs) and I drank a Laphroaig 10 neat instead.

We did get a mix of Denver Beer Co hard seltzer from the supermarket  :bag:      it's damn good.

Online emerge

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • American Sour Ale
    • Research page @ Lambic.info
Re: Avon, CO
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2022, 01:15:32 PM »
Looks like there's a Vail Brewing Co. there?

Is there any Casey to be found? :popcorn:

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2022, 08:56:20 PM »
I walked into one liquor store and Casey would be like finding Waldo in a black hole.

Now at 7 Hermits. Couldn’t force myself to Vail based on the dull tap list. This place isn’t great. The mild and brown are just way too clean and American.

However, they have a green chili lager. And that makes up for everything. It’s not that the beer is great but the pepper is done well (for me) and the base beer isn’t bad enough to get in the way. Yeah, the green chili is hitting my right spots.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2022, 05:11:15 PM by beastiefan2k »

Online emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2022, 09:32:25 PM »
Casey is 40 min west of 7 Hermits in Glenwood Springs. Just sayin’.

There used to be a brewery in WI like the one you’re at, terrible beer except for their jalapeño pilsner. Guy was just homebrewing in the kitchen of a bar and applied for a commercial license. Wasted space at the Great Taste for 5 years, last time he was just making cocktails with homemade spirits.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2022, 09:37:20 PM by emerge »

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2022, 10:33:17 PM »
Damn you, emerge. Now I feel like I have to search for Casey. Cause, you know, they are worth searching for. 

On a much more easier, and less rewarding, level, I did stop at Vail Brewing. I avoided all the IPAs in my 4-trey sampler. The stout was good. The seltzer was ok. The other two were existentially uninteresting.

Online emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2022, 09:15:01 AM »
Damn you, emerge. Now I feel like I have to search for Casey. Cause, you know, they are worth searching for. 

On a much more easier, and less rewarding, level, I did stop at Vail Brewing. I avoided all the IPAs in my 4-trey sampler. The stout was good. The seltzer was ok. The other two were existentially uninteresting.

:bowtie:

Glenwood Springs looks pretty nice actually. Go west young man! :P

There's a brewpub in town too, Glenwood Canyon. Beers sound decent, though it looks like the typical 90's brewpub.

Also, Ball Brewing: https://untappd.com/v/ball-brewing/9098731
« Last Edit: January 04, 2022, 09:50:00 AM by emerge »

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2022, 03:35:08 PM »
Taking a city bus to the only liquor store in the area that carries Casey.

Being carless doesn’t allow much further travel.

Online emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2022, 05:01:19 PM »
Taking a city bus to the only liquor store in the area that carries Casey.

Being carless doesn’t allow much further travel.

GLLLL GB*

*good luck good buddy :cheers:

This place looks cool, has some imports anyway:
https://g.page/einprositavon?share

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2022, 05:22:43 PM »
Back from West Vail Liquor Mart and that place is the beer spot in the Eagle-Vail area. I went for Casey but most left with Russian River.

Picked up the Casey Funky Blender, which I have had before and enjoyed but that was 5 years ago.  I passed up on new Casey beers that started at $25 and had fruit in them (the Funky Blender was $18 for a 750mL and that was expensive enough). I also passed on their clean beers (a Helles and an adjunct imperial stout) because...

I could not say no to the Russian River beers.  Drinking a Funky Foeder (500mL for $10) and had to buy a Beatification (for the insane price of $18/375mL). Also, got a new one, Intiction (Sauvignon Blanc). It was hard passing on Temptation but now I have the rest of today to drink all this beer since checking bag tomorrow isn't worth the extra cost (I already spent $25 just getting to and back from the store).

Online emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2022, 05:56:39 PM »
Back from West Vail Liquor Mart and that place is the beer spot in the Eagle-Vail area. I went for Casey but most left with Russian River.

Picked up the Casey Funky Blender, which I have had before and enjoyed but that was 5 years ago.  I passed up on new Casey beers that started at $25 and had fruit in them (the Funky Blender was $18 for a 750mL and that was expensive enough). I also passed on their clean beers (a Helles and an adjunct imperial stout) because...

I could not say no to the Russian River beers.  Drinking a Funky Foeder (500mL for $10) and had to buy a Beatification (for the insane price of $18/375mL). Also, got a new one, Intiction (Sauvignon Blanc). It was hard passing on Temptation but now I have the rest of today to drink all this beer since checking bag tomorrow isn't worth the extra cost (I already spent $25 just getting to and back from the store).

Damn, nice haul! :excited:

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2022, 06:18:33 PM »
I walked in there earlier.  They have a few macro German taps and the standard Belgian imports in bottles.  In a pinch, this is a decent spot.

Online emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2022, 11:34:15 PM »
I walked in there earlier.  They have a few macro German taps and the standard Belgian imports in bottles.  In a pinch, this is a decent spot.
I saw an Andechs tap in one pic, but yeah seemed to stick to more standard imports. Not bad for a town that size.

How was the RR? :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2022, 12:59:54 AM »
I asked about the Andechs right away. The bartender tried to get me to drink the Aventinus they had on tap instead.

I rated the RR beers on here. Enjoyed them both but the more affordable sour cherry beer was better than Inviction. And Inviction was not worth the cost. I made it half way through the Casey Funky Blender before passing out (very strong edibles in CO). This beer was, for me, definitely a step below the RR. Never did make it to Beatification. I gifted it to someone that showed us around town.

Online emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2022, 10:07:18 AM »
I asked about the Andechs right away. The bartender tried to get me to drink the Aventinus they had on tap instead.

I rated the RR beers on here. Enjoyed them both but the more affordable sour cherry beer was better than Inviction. And Inviction was not worth the cost. I made it half way through the Casey Funky Blender before passing out (very strong edibles in CO). This beer was, for me, definitely a step below the RR. Never did make it to Beatification. I gifted it to someone that showed us around town.

Nice gift :excited: :cheers:

It sounds like you made out pretty well, considering the locale. ;) :cheers: