search

Author Topic: More assholes in the beer world - Hailstorm Brewing & Chicagoland  (Read 275 times)

Offline beastiefan2k

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Double IPA
« Last Edit: December 07, 2021, 09:26:29 AM by beastiefan2k »

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
Re: More assholes in the beer world - Hailstorm Brewing
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2021, 11:56:40 PM »
I know Steve, and finding this out shocks me.  He's been very outspoken on his beliefs and everything leading up to this has shown me that he's a good guy that has good values.  Nothing negates what he did, but it is completely out of character for the Steve I know.  He's always spoken up for other peoples' rights and has empathy for all. :shrug:

Offline bakes

• VIP and TBS Founding Member
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Barleywine
  • Alcospeakerholic
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2021, 12:55:50 AM »
I know Steve, and finding this out shocks me.  He's been very outspoken on his beliefs and everything leading up to this has shown me that he's a good guy that has good values.  Nothing negates what he did, but it is completely out of character for the Steve I know.  He's always spoken up for other peoples' rights and has empathy for all. :shrug:

I will second that.  To me it sounds more like a lapse of judgement on his part.  Having seen him at the Great Taste at the Hailstorm booth shortly before the end of the fest, I know he was kind of out of it at the end of the fest - not necessarily drunk, but definitely "people'd out" and very down.  Sad all around, but as Jeff said, it's not an excuse.
My friends say I'm like doing the laundry and forgetting the bleach: I'm not as bright as I could be.

Gator to Pols: I bet you wish the last wedding you went to was the one right before yours....

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • If I've offended you, it made me happy.
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2021, 06:29:19 AM »
First reaction was "wait, I know these assholes!"  Yuck.

Offline beastiefan2k

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Double IPA

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
    • Research page @ Lambic.info
Re: More assholes in the beer world - Hailstorm Brewing & Chicagoland
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2021, 09:47:28 AM »
What about Jared from Moody Tongue
https://www.reddit.com/r/chicagobeer/comments/nh3o8q/this_community_needs_to_talk_about_moody_tongue/

The one and only time I met Rouben, he was a pompous asshole. I know the source of that claim, so I trust it. His chef also has some allegations of making racist comments and creating a toxic workplace. This came out last year via 86dlist on instagram, anonymous staff reports similar to the Ratmagnet account.

Don't know the other people.

Additionally, this seems to be an endemic problem industry-wide, and not limited to this area.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2021, 10:00:34 AM by emerge »

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2021, 01:01:18 PM »
https://www.reddit.com/r/chicagobeer/comments/nh3o8q/this_community_needs_to_talk_about_moody_tongue/

The one and only time I met Rouben, he was a pompous asshole. I know the source of that claim, so I trust it. His chef also has some allegations of making racist comments and creating a toxic workplace. This came out last year via 86dlist on instagram, anonymous staff reports similar to the Ratmagnet account.

Additionally, this seems to be an endemic problem industry-wide, and not limited to this area.

:goodposting:  It's been a boys club for a long time and is having trouble adapting with the changing times.

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2021, 02:50:35 PM »

:goodposting:  It's been a boys club for a long time and is having trouble adapting with the changing times.

Just want to be clear that it wasn't ok before, but it's still having troubles even when things are moving forward.

Offline bakes

• VIP and TBS Founding Member
  • Barleywine
  • Alcospeakerholic
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2021, 07:45:10 PM »

Just want to be clear that it wasn't ok before, but it's still having troubles even when things are moving forward.

Even Lawson's, which is inclusive AF, is changing the names on a couple of their beers (Knockout Blonde, Maple Nipple) that could be construed as sexist.  Slow progress I guess.
My friends say I'm like doing the laundry and forgetting the bleach: I'm not as bright as I could be.

Gator to Pols: I bet you wish the last wedding you went to was the one right before yours....