search

Author Topic: December 2021 Beer of the Month - Merry Fucking Christmas  (Read 1097 times)

Offline fRed Scare

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • Fnord
December 2021 Beer of the Month - Merry Fucking Christmas
« on: December 01, 2021, 10:01:32 AM »
Celebrate the holidays like a bunch of drunken sailors on shore leave ransacking Santa's private stash of Chrismas beers.
Quote from: J-Rod
I ended up drinking 9 times my body weight in beer, broke three glasses over my head, 7 over others, ordered up 17 hookers for a little afterparty, held a cabbie hostage while running his cab through the Madison capitol doors, and I grabbed gator's ass.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • American Sour Ale
    • Research page @ Lambic.info
Re: December 2021 Beer of the Month - Merry Fucking Christmas
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2021, 11:13:14 AM »
Already December, eh? :mellow:

On Thanksgiving I committed a seasonal faux pas and drank an Xmas beer. Zümbier Gingerbread Red, which wasn't bad. Nutmeg, ginger, cinnamon, molasses. Not sweet.

Offline Westside Threat

• VIP and TBS Founding Member
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Barleywine
  • Carpe Cervisiam
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2021, 12:27:11 PM »
Had a Deschutes Jubelale over the weekend which was solid. I'll drink another this weekend and post a pic
Should we take a cab home, Jesus?
Shit man, we can hoof it from here.
I know you can walk on water...
But can you walk on this much beer?

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2021, 03:08:00 PM »
Dear Santa, hurry up and Avec Les Bons Voeux me, ASAP.

Offline fRed Scare

• Administrator
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • Fnord
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2021, 10:26:25 AM »
St. Bernadus Christmas in the can!
I ended up drinking 9 times my body weight in beer, broke three glasses over my head, 7 over others, ordered up 17 hookers for a little afterparty, held a cabbie hostage while running his cab through the Madison capitol doors, and I grabbed gator's ass.

Offline bakes

• Barleywine
  • Alcospeakerholic
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2021, 09:50:38 AM »
St. Bernadus Christmas in the can!

I believe it is designed to be ingested orally rather than as a suppository but...  :shrug:
My friends say I'm like doing the laundry and forgetting the bleach: I'm not as bright as I could be.

Gator to Pols: I bet you wish the last wedding you went to was the one right before yours....

Offline urbanhack

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • no manches
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2021, 11:03:10 AM »
Just got to my mom’s house last night. Saw they had a sixer of Christmas Ale from Great Lakes and thought….great! Grabbed a bottle and then noticed it’s from 2019.  LOL
i'm not good at putting this stuff in words but i can't see myself with anyone else except maybe urbanhack.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2021, 11:12:43 AM »
Just got to my mom’s house last night. Saw they had a sixer of Christmas Ale from Great Lakes and thought….great! Grabbed a bottle and then noticed it’s from 2019.  LOL

OOF

Offline fRed Scare

• Administrator
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • Fnord
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2021, 04:10:58 PM »

That seems like the appropriate amount of time for the overload of spices to mellow out.  I'm not a fan of that beer fresh.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2021, 04:25:07 PM »

That seems like the appropriate amount of time for the overload of spices to mellow out.  I'm not a fan of that beer fresh.

Neither am I. Maybe Hack should drink one for science.

Offline heckmanm

• TBS Founding Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2021, 09:47:26 AM »
Mad Anthony Snowplowed Winter Ale

Had it on draft at the brewery, although it's also being canned. No "holiday" spices, just a full-bodied dark ale with a little roastiness from chocolate malt and a little crystal malt caramel.
Give a man a beer, and he'll waste an hour

Teach him to brew, and he'll waste a lifetime

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2021, 05:20:24 PM »
St. Bernardus Christmas Ale

New 12 oz. cans. Tastes pretty good, if this is my only one of the season that’s alright.

Dried orange peel and nutmeg, rich maltiness, caramelized sugars, graham crackers.

Offline Westside Threat

• Barleywine
  • Carpe Cervisiam
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2021, 05:21:11 PM »
Bitter and piney.  Fairly one dimensional but fun for a seasonal

Offline Westside Threat

• Barleywine
  • Carpe Cervisiam
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2021, 10:04:42 PM »
Dude Where's My Sleigh from Green Flash.  This was solid.  Reminded me of a Belgian dubbel, lots of toffee and caramel with only a hint of spice.  I think its the Xmas beer for people who like the idea of xmas beers but are unhappy with the execution.  The subtle hand at spice was really great

Offline Swabs

• Where's my parrot hat?
  • VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Barleywine
  • Furley is amazNOG
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2021, 10:52:47 AM »
Only thing I saw at the store was Cherry Jubelale, which was ok.  I also grabbed a Winter Reaper from MS because winter was in the name so it counts.  It might kill be though, a bomber of BA Wheatwine solo is a bit out of my wheelhouse as of late.
Gilly> this is totally murdering my unicorn blood boner

Offline Westside Threat

• Barleywine
  • Carpe Cervisiam
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2021, 12:00:35 PM »
Jubelale was fine.  Pretty much just malty and sweet, not very xmasy or interesting

Offline flyingbison

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2021, 10:15:38 AM »
Had a Revolution Fistmas over the weekend.  It was good, but not what I remember from the last time I had it a couple of years ago.  Hoppier than I recall.  Do they change this one up from year to year?

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2021, 10:30:42 AM »
Had a Revolution Fistmas over the weekend.  It was good, but not what I remember from the last time I had it a couple of years ago.  Hoppier than I recall.  Do they change this one up from year to year?

I'm not a fan, but it was consistent the few years I tried it and didn't care for it. :coffee:

Offline flyingbison

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2021, 10:32:25 AM »

I'm not a fan, but it was consistent the few years I tried it and didn't care for it. :coffee:

I liked it better this year than in the past.  Just curious - what don't you like about it?

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2021, 10:36:44 AM »

I liked it better this year than in the past.  Just curious - what don't you like about it?

Too much spice, like when you taste a spoonful of cinnamon and immediately regret it. Also very phenolic/clove-y, which I don't like in any beer. It's been a few years though.

Offline urbanhack

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • no manches
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2021, 06:43:17 PM »
Jubelale was fine.  Pretty much just malty and sweet, not very xmasy or interesting

That's Deschutes for you.  Had one a few weeks ago and it was just okay.
i'm not good at putting this stuff in words but i can't see myself with anyone else except maybe urbanhack.

Offline urbanhack

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • no manches
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2021, 06:44:15 PM »

Too much spice, like when you taste a spoonful of cinnamon and immediately regret it. Also very phenolic/clove-y, which I don't like in any beer. It's been a few years though.
I got a sixer for Indiana and enjoyed them. Thought it was brighter and hoppier than previous versions. 

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2021, 09:51:34 PM »
Harvey’s Christmas Ale

This one is a little odd. Not much spice to speak of, malty and leathery. Two fingers of tan foam and ample delicate lacing. Smells like Malt-o-meal cereal, cooked malt, burnt sugars.

Tastes raisiny, like prunes and fairly vinous. Supposedly this is what Christmas pudding tastes like, but it’s sort of a loose impression. Light bodied and fruity, stewed fruit, burnt sugar, malty stickiness in the aftertaste. Mellow carbonation, lighter side of medium bodied. Slight astringency, a whiff of hop bitterness in the aftertaste. Pretty old school, though not like any barleywine i’ve tried.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2021, 09:54:57 PM by emerge »

Offline heckmanm

• TBS Founding Member
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2021, 06:58:18 AM »

I tell my homebrew club that the proper way to use cloves in a beer is to hold one clove in the steam over the kettle for a minute and then throw it away.

Of course, at a commercial scale you'd need two cloves.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2021, 09:47:47 AM »

I tell my homebrew club that the proper way to use cloves in a beer is to hold one clove in the steam over the kettle for a minute and then throw it away.

Of course, at a commercial scale you'd need two cloves.
:lol: :thumbup:

Offline beastiefan2k

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Double IPA
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2021, 10:59:16 AM »
Harvey’s Christmas Ale

This one is a little odd. Not much spice to speak of, malty and leathery. Two fingers of tan foam and ample delicate lacing. Smells like Malt-o-meal cereal, cooked malt, burnt sugars.

Tastes raisiny, like prunes and fairly vinous. Supposedly this is what Christmas pudding tastes like, but it’s sort of a loose impression. Light bodied and fruity, stewed fruit, burnt sugar, malty stickiness in the aftertaste. Mellow carbonation, lighter side of medium bodied. Slight astringency, a whiff of hop bitterness in the aftertaste. Pretty old school, though not like any barleywine i’ve tried.
Would you buy it again?  :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: (kid was asking for this)

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2021, 12:43:55 PM »
Harvey’s Christmas Ale

Would you buy it again?  :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: (kid was asking for this)

Probably not, just my personal preference though. I like English Barleywines, and will keep trying any I find (pretty rare).

Also, the label on the bottle was a newer wrap-around style, listing some obscure awards from a Finnish Christmas beer competition and the "British Bottlers Association".

:bye: :pickle: :cheese: :banana:

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2021, 03:10:44 PM »
Marz Brewing - Krampbiscus
Holiday Ale with Cranberries and Hibiscus

"Named in honor of Saint Nick’s more punitive-minded, goat-demon counterpart, every Krampusnacht the eponymous figure stalks from house to house punishing naughty children, swatting them with ruten and stuffing them into his bag to carry them back to hell. To escape his clutches and throw him off our scent, we created this smooth and fruity wale suffused with raspberry and cranberry. Its big cranberry notes and flaked-oat creamy mouthfeel compels him to skip our house and move on to the next. Sure, after a cuppa two or tree ox horns we might be half in the bag, but at least we won’t be in Krampus’ bag–he doesn’t even have pretzels in there!"

Got this one on deck... :banned:

Offline heckmanm

• TBS Founding Member
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2021, 08:52:50 PM »
Two Brothers - Peppermint Bark Porter

Pretty subdued peppermint.  The porter itself is nice and roasty with some dark chocolate bitterness.  Minimal aroma of any kind, just faint roasted malt with a hint of cocoa. Peppermint comes out a bit in the flavor after a few sips and definitely lingers in the finish.

Given the choice between a subtle touch like this and an in-yo-face spice bomb, give me this all day long.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2021, 04:28:58 PM »

Dovetail Glühkriek

Served at 150° from a coffee warmer in the taproom. Tasted like warm cherry pie out of the oven. Cinnamon, pie crust, dark tart cherries. Really excellent!

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Barleywine
  • If I've offended you, it made me happy.
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2021, 05:22:35 PM »
That sounds awesome!

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2021, 07:09:59 PM »
That sounds awesome!

It was a treat. They nailed the blend of spices and serving temp, it was like a mulled cherry wine. First year they served it from a crock pot, then they released a DIY bottling with a spice packet and recipe. Third time was the charm.

Offline Westside Threat

• Barleywine
  • Carpe Cervisiam
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2021, 12:24:33 PM »
Had a party at the house yesterday and bought a mixed 24 pack from Costco of mediocre at best micro (now macro) brews.  Widmer, GI, Redhook, Golden Road etc.  Nobody drank a god darn one and only drank wine, so now Im stuck with them.  Few winter beers in the pack so I will start working through those I suppose.

Here's an exceptionally mediocre Winterhook

Offline fRed Scare

• Administrator
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • Fnord
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2021, 12:50:49 PM »
It's pretty, at least.

Offline Swabs

• Where's my parrot hat?
  • VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Barleywine
  • Furley is amazNOG
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2021, 01:45:00 PM »
Red Hook's calling card, mediocre.  They were one of the first craft beers I drank though  :shrug:  ESB maybe?
Gilly> this is totally murdering my unicorn blood boner

Offline Westside Threat

• Barleywine
  • Carpe Cervisiam
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2021, 05:24:31 PM »
Red Hook's calling card, mediocre.  They were one of the first craft beers I drank though  :shrug:  ESB maybe?

Used to be solid, back when red ales were king. 

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2021, 09:03:36 PM »
Callback to last year’s thread, drinking an Einstock Toasted Porter. Not officially a holiday beer, but a winter beer for me. Pretty good :thumbup:

Offline fRed Scare

• Administrator
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • Fnord
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2021, 09:49:43 AM »
Callback to last year’s thread, drinking an Einstock Toasted Porter. Not officially a holiday beer, but a winter beer for me. Pretty good :thumbup:

When you're drinking a beer from Iceland, they're all winter beers.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2021, 10:03:44 AM »

When you're drinking a beer from Iceland, they're all winter beers.

:goodposting:

Offline sunscar22

• Quadrupel
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2021, 10:02:01 PM »

Sounds like something I'd like.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2021, 10:48:49 AM »

[img]http://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51727059141_08ef35654f_c.jpg[/img

Sounds like something I'd like.

I'm a sucker for juniper too.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2021, 09:04:06 PM »
OEC Obscura Baltic Porter

Paired with fresh baked snickerdoodle cookies, tipping it into holiday territory. ;)

Smooth, creamy, dry and roasty.

Offline heckmanm

• TBS Founding Member
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2021, 09:41:40 PM »
Bell's Christmas Ale

Billed on the website as a traditional Scotch Ale, so no special holiday spices or anything. Aroma is subdued, at least straight from the fridge. It's sweet with caramel/toffee in the flavor, but not all that "malty" like the Belhaven and Orkney beasts from November.  I'll let it sit for a little while to warm up.  Definite alcohol warming at 7.5% abv

Sidebar: This is my first beer in the category because I've been sidetracked with the "Brewers Advent Calendar" my homebrew club put together.  10 or so guys in the club each brewed some beers and put together a 24-pack to share back out to those same guys.  (One of our members is getting ready to go "pro" and has a canning rig.) But they had extras, so they offered a set to each of our BJCP judges in the club even though none of us brewed for the event. 

Anyway, as a result of having a daily assigned beer, I've let the BotM slide a bit because I normally don't have beer every day, and most nights when I do, it's one with/after dinner.

OK, after letting it warm up, the aroma pops a lot more: toffee and a bunch of dark fruits like raisin and plum. Flavor gets some light roasted notes and a bit more bready maltiness.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2021, 04:32:45 AM »
Saving this one for Xmas :pickle:

Offline fRed Scare

• Administrator
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • Fnord
« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2021, 01:37:39 PM »
Bell's Christmas Ale

Billed on the website as a traditional Scotch Ale, so no special holiday spices or anything. Aroma is subdued, at least straight from the fridge. It's sweet with caramel/toffee in the flavor, but not all that "malty" like the Belhaven and Orkney beasts from November.  I'll let it sit for a little while to warm up.  Definite alcohol warming at 7.5% abv

Sidebar: This is my first beer in the category because I've been sidetracked with the "Brewers Advent Calendar" my homebrew club put together.  10 or so guys in the club each brewed some beers and put together a 24-pack to share back out to those same guys.  (One of our members is getting ready to go "pro" and has a canning rig.) But they had extras, so they offered a set to each of our BJCP judges in the club even though none of us brewed for the event. 

Anyway, as a result of having a daily assigned beer, I've let the BotM slide a bit because I normally don't have beer every day, and most nights when I do, it's one with/after dinner.

OK, after letting it warm up, the aroma pops a lot more: toffee and a bunch of dark fruits like raisin and plum. Flavor gets some light roasted notes and a bit more bready maltiness.

Scotch ales were November

Offline flyingbison

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2021, 01:48:39 PM »

Scotch ales were November

Intersectionality

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2021, 09:59:24 PM »
De Dolle Stille Nacht

Amazing, as usual. I vaguely remember this beer being a darker BSDA back in the day. Now it’s a wine soaked fruit bomb, apricot and orange, orange wine, marzipan. Finishes pretty dry, I guess from the booze.

Offline beastiefan2k

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Double IPA

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2021, 04:07:19 PM »
De Dolle Stille Nacht

Amazing, as usual. I vaguely remember this beer being a darker BSDA back in the day. Now it’s a wine soaked fruit bomb, apricot and orange, orange wine, marzipan. Finishes pretty dry, I guess from the booze.

Storytime... Kris Herteleer tells the tale of the first Stille Nacht brew in 1981: :bakes:
https://christmasbeer.net/the-first-brew-of-stille-nacht/

Offline heckmanm

• TBS Founding Member
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2021, 05:00:18 PM »
Fat Head's Pimp My Sleigh - Belgian-style Christmas Ale

Pours a slightly-hazy deep red-brown. Low tan head with poor retention. Hugely aromatic - biscuit, toffee, plum, raisin from the malt, peppery yeast phenols and then spicy cinnamon and clove. I don't think it's actually spiced, as the website doesn't mention anything (as it does for their Holly Jolly); I think it's all yeast-derived. Enough alcohol to singe my nose hairs.

The flavor is similarly complex - rich malt flavors of toffee, caramel and dark fruits; spices are subdued, and none stand out over the malt. I think the spicy character here is mainly from the yeast. Big, chewy body, low carbonation and a big, blooming warm alcohol glow that's just short of being "hot".

I like this quite a bit, but more than one would put me down for a nap.