Thank you for the years of support! TheBeerSpot will permanently redirect to this discord server at 11:59 PM PST on 12/31/22.
Please see this thread for more details.
search

Author Topic: Repository of beer videos (especially old stuff)  (Read 2462 times)

Offline beastiefan2k

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Double IPA
Repository of beer videos (especially old stuff)
« on: November 14, 2021, 11:04:10 AM »
It seems throughout the years many interesting youtube videos have been posted throughout the site (and other sites).  I thought it may be worthwhile to put them all in one thread (for anyone that cares in the future).

Here are all the Michael Jackson The Beer Hunter episodes:

(I start with the Belgian episode  ;D )

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • American Sour Ale
    • Research page @ Lambic.info
Re: Repository of beer videos (especially old stuff)
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2021, 11:43:30 AM »
It seems throughout the years many interesting youtube videos have been posted throughout the site (and other sites).  I thought it may be worthwhile to put them all in one thread (for anyone that cares in the future).

Here are all the Michael Jackson The Beer Hunter episodes:

(I start with the Belgian episode  ;D )
Such a classic :cheers:

For whatever reason, the YT links aren’t showing up for me. Modified them and still don’t see anything. Usually you have to take out the “s” in “https”, and change the “m” to “www”. :nerd: copy and pasting the playlist link did work though, but we may be SOL for embedding them. :(

Will search and see what I can find  :thumbup:

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • If I've offended you, it made me happy.
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2021, 11:45:02 AM »
I see the video twice in emerge's post :shrug:

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2021, 11:47:43 AM »
I see the video twice in emerge's post :shrug:
Huh, weird. I just updated my iphone’s iOS so maybe that’s causing it. :bag:

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2021, 03:27:16 PM »
http://www.thebeerspot.com/forum/index.php/topic,3810.msg143288.html#msg143288

Blast from the past, a day that will forever live in infamy.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2021, 03:32:36 PM by emerge »

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2021, 04:12:03 PM »
Emerge, did you post some public access beer show before?

Also, the videos work for me as well.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2021, 05:36:01 PM »
Emerge, did you post some public access beer show before?

Also, the videos work for me as well.

Yeah, that was back aways in the lambic thread :cheers:

Belgian lambic tour of Beersel, 1998 public access tv Hawaii

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2021, 05:52:13 PM »
TDG at home 2021:
Intro:
https://vimeo.com/534781135

(turn on captions)

De Cam:
https://vimeo.com/541546899

Tilquin:
https://vimeo.com/540250418

Lambiek Fabriek:
https://vimeo.com/537404203

Everything is up now, except for De Troch that goes up tomorrow. Interviews are Dutch with subtitles, the intro video is English with an auto-speech narrator.

All videos:
https://vimeo.com/user137471191

Interactive site:
https://toerdegeuze.be/language-select/en/

The live stream starts at 8am on Saturday :cheers:

Short film (24m) Beer Among the Belgians

Might be a honda, but it's a good honda :coffee:

Oral history about Cantillon from Jean-Pierre Van Roy.

Long video of a tour at Drie Fonteinen, we got the short version of this one:

The guy in the back is part owl, part horse. :blink:

30 min. documentary on spontaneous brewers in Europe.
Cantillon, Bokkereyder, and Antidoot repping Belgium. UK, France, Switzerland, & Spain also represented.

+ Ales Agullons (Spain): http://www.masia-agullons.com/
+ Antidoot - Wilde Fermenten (Belgium): https://www.antidoot.be/
+ Bokkereyder (Belgium): http://www.bokkereyder.com/
+ Brasserie Cantillon (Belgium): https://www.cantillon.be/
+ Brasserie Trois Dames (Switzerland): http://brasserietroisdames.ch
+ Burning Sky Brewery (England): https://www.burningskybeer.com/
+ Micro Brasserie La Montagnarde (France): https://www.facebook.com/lamontagnarde73/

Found some unintentional comedy gold, ever turn captions on youtube videos?

Describing what De Troch unblended lambic tastes like...

hmm, could you elaborate?

okay... :lol:

Not a fan of Hanssens apparently. :mellow:
« Last Edit: November 14, 2021, 06:15:46 PM by emerge »

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2021, 09:40:50 AM »
A bunch of old TDG footage with english subtitles.

This Girardin video is pretty rare, as they have since withdrawn from HORAL and don't allow tours. Pretty sure you get chased out if you aren't there to buy from the shop during the limited hours they're open Fri-Sat. :mellow:

This years' virtual TDG was posted upthread, tons of good content. :thumbup:
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 10:20:34 AM by emerge »

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2022, 10:49:56 PM »
Some (extensive) saison talk from Phil Markowski (try to ignore the host)

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2022, 08:24:49 AM »
Some (extensive) saison talk from Phil Markowski (try to ignore the host)

:thumbup:
Host guy sounds like a preacher to me, idk. Will listen today :cheers:

Edit: made it through the first 30 min, subtitles sort of work. Seeing "Cezanne" and "cazon" a few times.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2022, 09:50:03 AM by emerge »

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2022, 11:37:05 AM »
I basically fast forwarded anytime Phil wasn't talking. Lots of Saison Dupont talk and interesting info about their brewery. Phil is also a fan of De Glazen Toren.

What really surprises me is how much I do not enjoy 2 Roads. Maybe I should try the Saison one more time but I am generally not a fan of anything they make. Interestingly, I was a big Southampton homer and even enjoyed their contract brewed stuff.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2022, 03:21:03 PM »
I basically fast forwarded anytime Phil wasn't talking. Lots of Saison Dupont talk and interesting info about their brewery. Phil is also a fan of De Glazen Toren.

What really surprises me is how much I do not enjoy 2 Roads. Maybe I should try the Saison one more time but I am generally not a fan of anything they make. Interestingly, I was a big Southampton homer and even enjoyed their contract brewed stuff.

Does that include their Area Two/spontaneous stuff? :popcorn:

I had a few beers from Birds Fly South (Greenville, SC) early on and really liked those. Sean the BFS brewer pops in during the video.

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2022, 09:59:12 PM »

I had a few beers from Birds Fly South (Greenville, SC) early on and really liked those. Sean the BFS brewer pops in during the video.
I think I have tried the Area Two beers at fests and was not impressed. Similarly, found the BFS brewer on this convo very vapid. Maybe I would like the beers but what he was saying seemed, to me, very surface level and poorly informed. But now we are moving things toward the OMYAB thread b/c I am not into the idea of green bottles (I don't like the skunk for beers with significant hops)) or throwing brett into everything and hopping it up to the max. I gagged a bit when he mentioned his green bottles may be sitting on the selves for 2 years.

Phil, on the other hand, kept pushing the idea that saison is a wide open style despite constant questions regarding "what is allowed in a saison." I also finally learned what the heck separates a grisette from a saison, which is apparently not much (malted vs unmalted wheat, maybe).

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2022, 10:24:30 PM »

I think I have tried the Area Two beers at fests and was not impressed. Similarly, found the BFS brewer on this convo very vapid. Maybe I would like the beers but what he was saying seemed, to me, very surface level and poorly informed. But now we are moving things toward the OMYAB thread b/c I am not into the idea of green bottles (I don't like the skunk for beers with significant hops)) or throwing brett into everything and hopping it up to the max. I gagged a bit when he mentioned his green bottles may be sitting on the selves for 2 years.

Phil, on the other hand, kept pushing the idea that saison is a wide open style despite constant questions regarding "what is allowed in a saison." I also finally learned what the heck separates a grisette from a saison, which is apparently not much (malted vs unmalted wheat, maybe).

Always thought a grisette was defined by low abv, and more of a 2nd runnings small beer.

You’ve never had a sublime bottle of Fantome or Dupont in a green bottle? That’s all it is, a tribute. It’s not a Heineken or skunky euro lager, apples and oranges. :shrug: It’s funny to me how much this triggers old money beer geeks.

I think the BFS brewer was maybe deferring to Markowski since it was his interview? I haven’t seen the whole thing yet. Heard another interview of his before, and he seemed plenty informed then. Are you really dismissing a brewery based on one green bottle beer you’ve never had? :blink:

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2022, 10:44:09 PM »
Always thought a grisette was defined by low abv, and more of a 2nd runnings small beer.
I think all the saisons back then were low abv, I don't think farmhouse breweries made 2nd runnings.

You’ve never had a sublime bottle of Fantome or Dupont in a green bottle? That’s all it is, a tribute. It’s not a Heineken or skunky euro lager, apples and oranges. :shrug: It’s funny to me how much this triggers old money beer geeks.
Fantome, yes, but that was old Fantome with lots of weird bugs that did weird things. I haven't enjoyed anything from Fantome in over a decade (unrelated to the glass). I am not the biggest fan of Saison Dupont and have found a lot of inconsistencies when drinking the beer, partially b/c of the green bottles.  I do not enjoy the light struck character that I sometimes would get in Saison Dupont.  When I lived in Seattle, Saison Dupont was available in almost every QFC (Seattle Kroger) and I got to drink it a fair bit.  I know they make brown bottles as well but I am not the biggest fan of green bottles unless we are talking very low hop beers and I would not put Saison Dupont in the low hop category. But I have had some French BdGs in green bottles that did better.  But we have talked about the green bottles in another thread before.  I can understand why others enjoy it but it is not for me.

[/quote]
Are you really dismissing a brewery based on one green bottle beer you’ve never had? :blink:
[/quote]
Definitely not dismissing the brewery, would try their beers and then dismiss them  :) 
I was only saying that what the brewer had to say was much less interesting and almost completely uninformative compared to Phil.  But, maybe I am being too rough and indeed he was trying to be quiet and deferential in front of Phil. I also don't think one needs to be very knowledgeable to make beer that I enjoy. I actually like creativity and novelty and appreciate that, at times,  more than German-like rigid-to-style-brewing. From the interview (and in general), it was evident that Phil has thought about brewing, Saisons, and beer much longer and more in depth (than any of us probably).

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2022, 11:11:57 PM »
Agree with you there on the last points, the guy is a saison savant. :bow:

The modern green bottle thing is for mixed ferm saisons, like Fantome. It accentuates and doesn’t detract from the flavor, imho. Not highly hopped ones either. Honestly it’s been years since i’ve seen green bottle Dupont. Cans are around now and it’s very drinkable and consistent, imho.

I will agree that he rubbed me the wrong way calling his beers “product” like they were kilos of cocaine.

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2022, 12:38:45 PM »
I will agree that he rubbed me the wrong way calling his beers “product” like they were kilos of cocaine.
hahahahahaha

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2022, 01:58:05 PM »
hahahahahaha

I've also heard a lot of people calling beer liquid with triggers me for whatever reason. :shrug:

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2022, 04:44:33 AM »
hahahahahaha

I've also heard a lot of people calling beer liquid with triggers me for whatever reason. :shrug:

To be fair, a lot of “beer” these days looks & feels closer to chicken soup.  :-X :-X

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2022, 05:28:45 PM »

This is some historical footage of Rene De Vits & Frank Boon, interesting now that Boon has retired. This was basically at the very beginning of his career.

Edit: Recent chat with Frank Boon, haven't watched yet.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2022, 05:33:34 PM by emerge »

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2022, 02:51:29 PM »
Recent interview with Tim Web, who recently retired from authoring Good Beer Guide Belgium.

Topic is mostly the global beer industry, Europe and North America, a little bit about Belgium.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2022, 03:33:00 PM by emerge »

Offline bakes

• VIP and TBS Founding Member
  • Barleywine
  • Alcospeakerholic
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2022, 06:43:24 PM »

There's a "house flavor" in Two Roads beers that just doesn't quite work for me.  And like you, I was a huge SPH fan - think I still have two bottles of Old Herb in the cellar.  :o
My friends say I'm like doing the laundry and forgetting the bleach: I'm not as bright as I could be.

Gator to Pols: I bet you wish the last wedding you went to was the one right before yours....

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2022, 05:33:44 PM »
I still have two bottles of Old Herb in the cellar.  :o
I have a 750 of the 10th anniversary old ale that I have no idea what to do with.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2022, 12:08:03 PM »
I have a 750 of the 10th anniversary old ale that I have no idea what to do with.

Aren't you coming to Chicago soon? :coffee:

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2022, 08:33:14 AM »

Would this be a good prank beer? Instead of bringing good beer I bring something that will taste like cardboard and trash.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2022, 10:54:22 AM »

Would this be a good prank beer? Instead of bringing good beer I bring something that will taste like cardboard and trash.
:lol:
Wait, how old are we talking? :unsure:

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2022, 12:01:07 AM »
More than 15.  :unsure:

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2022, 09:46:04 AM »
More than 15.  :unsure:

Kinda iffy. If it was Lambic, i'd say sure. :D