search

Author Topic: Visiting Temecula and San Diego Next Week  (Read 3044 times)

Offline borrowedladder

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Old Ale
Visiting Temecula and San Diego Next Week
« on: August 23, 2021, 05:12:58 PM »
Monday the 30th through Saturday and I will have a rental car the first few days in Temecula.  Just looking for wines and beers to try and places to visit that anyone who hasn't been to the West Coast should visit.  I was probably going to the San Diego Zoo but literally up for anything.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • American Sour Ale
    • Research page @ Lambic.info
Re: Visiting Temecula and San Diego Next Week
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2021, 05:14:02 PM »
:blackdot:

Bine & Vine in SD, say hi to Geoi! :bye:

Mostra Coffee is a newer place, has some interesting beers too.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 05:17:11 PM by emerge »

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2021, 05:27:20 PM »
Temucula is fun but I would highly suggest avoiding the wine.

:mellow:

If you had a little more time, I would recommend the short drive to Temecula, there are 7-8 really nice breweries there, it is also sort of the middle of a wine region, so there are wineries too... We went there a year or two ago just to visit a couple of places I had heard about andwe were amazed to find how many more there were.

:excited:

Another old chat about Temecula wine:
http://www.thebeerspot.com/forum/index.php/topic,3.msg33994.html#msg33994
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 05:32:24 PM by emerge »

Offline borrowedladder

• Old Ale
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2021, 06:08:53 PM »
It appears WST went from enthusiastic to the opposite regarding Temecula wine.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2021, 10:00:55 PM »

Right? Maybe just had a bad one. Surely they can’t all be bad.

Offline KingG

• VIP and TBS Founding Member
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Old Ale
    • Bine & Vine Bottle Shop
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2021, 12:37:18 AM »
Temecula:
-Ironfire (Decent beers that are super hop-forward...like almost too much so)

-Wild Barrel Brewing (Tasting room is in Temecula, brewery is really close to Lost Abbey in San Marcos)

If you enter (North County) San Diego:

-Lost Abbey (Still amazing, they have every style under sun and done well)

-Burgeon (Escondido tasting room location, fantastic West Coast IPAs and lagers)

-Churchills (Pub with English fare, top notch beer list and solid food)

-

Bine & Vine Bottle Shop

www.BineandVine.com

Offline KingG

• Old Ale
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2021, 12:39:30 AM »

It's built for tourism, so a lot of oak and fruit bomb Cabs and Zins that are 15%+. If you're into those you'll enjoy it.
Bine & Vine Bottle Shop

www.BineandVine.com

Offline beastiefan2k

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Double IPA
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2021, 12:51:44 PM »
I went to San Diego in February before the pandemic.  I picked a neighborhood that was close enough to my hotel and had a bunch of breweries. I was completely on foot, so that was part of my planning. Started with the first one that opened and did the crawl until early evening (until my palate told me to stop). Basically, just recommend drinking the West Coast IPAs at every spot, was never disappointed.

If it matters, I was in the area of Attitude Brewing, Iron Fist, Border X, and Mission (there were more but can't remember). Nothing was particularly worth visiting (and Mission was sad) but it was a fun time. Got a light edible from a shop in the area. Had some delicious food at Border X. Eventually also stopped at a Stone location near Petco Park.

If I had a car, I would have probably done more of the farther stuff but I was in the city and didn't feel like getting out.

Offline borrowedladder

• Old Ale
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2021, 02:16:50 PM »

It's built for tourism, so a lot of oak and fruit bomb Cabs and Zins that are 15%+. If you're into those you'll enjoy it.

I am not unfortunately.  Thanks for the heads up!  I mean I can appreciate them just not what I buy.

Offline borrowedladder

• Old Ale
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2021, 02:19:38 PM »
I went to San Diego in February before the pandemic.  I picked a neighborhood that was close enough to my hotel and had a bunch of breweries. I was completely on foot, so that was part of my planning. Started with the first one that opened and did the crawl until early evening (until my palate told me to stop). Basically, just recommend drinking the West Coast IPAs at every spot, was never disappointed.

If it matters, I was in the area of Attitude Brewing, Iron Fist, Border X, and Mission (there were more but can't remember). Nothing was particularly worth visiting (and Mission was sad) but it was a fun time. Got a light edible from a shop in the area. Had some delicious food at Border X. Eventually also stopped at a Stone location near Petco Park.

If I had a car, I would have probably done more of the farther stuff but I was in the city and didn't feel like getting out.

Thanks for this! No edibles for me.  Weed knocks me out or causes incredible paranoia.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2021, 03:40:13 PM »

Thanks for this! No edibles for me.  Weed knocks me out or causes incredible paranoia.

I'm not a fan of those effects either. There are many different strains now, with known effects so you don't have to take a risk. "I just want a light body buzz, or a calming strain" and they have the right one for you. Edibles i've had were far less intense than smoking in the past. Just my $0.02.

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • If I've offended you, it made me happy.
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2021, 03:43:56 PM »

I'm not a fan of those effects either. There are many different strains now, with known effects so you don't have to take a risk. "I just want a light body buzz, or a calming strain" and they have the right one for you. Edibles i've had were far less intense than smoking in the past. Just my $0.02.

This has been hit or miss from me.  Got capsules, two different strengths, same manufacturer.  One is 5mg THC, 5mg CBD, says it's for energy.  The second one is 2.5mg of each, says it's for focus.  Took up to seven of the 5mg and was fine.  Took two of the 2.5mg and was visibly stoned.

Offline Westside Threat

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Barleywine
  • Carpe Cervisiam
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2021, 10:45:36 PM »
Maybe I’m reading it wrong.  Temecula is fun..but the wine sucks.  Nothing has changed.  Still fun to go wine tasting, lots of gorgeous properties and a few breweries.  But the wine is a huge letdown, especially for the price
Should we take a cab home, Jesus?
Shit man, we can hoof it from here.
I know you can walk on water...
But can you walk on this much beer?

Offline Westside Threat

• Barleywine
  • Carpe Cervisiam
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2021, 11:18:42 PM »

Oh?

Offline Westside Threat

• Barleywine
  • Carpe Cervisiam
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2021, 11:40:50 PM »
In all seriousness I have a lot of experience with Temecula wine.  It’s where we used to go wine tasting before we realized how close Santa Barbara was.  And before our palates developed.  I would go multiple times a year, I was a member at a couple of places. 

I created a map of every winery and ranked them.  I drank every wine offered.  I stayed at every inn.  I’d eaten at every restaurant.  I was an “expert”.  It’s a fun place to go because all the wineries are smashed together.  The weather is hot and you just get wasted.  Bachelorettes all over.  It’s fun.

The problem is, the terroir sucks.  It’s too damn hot and everything over ripens.  The wines from there have a very specific flavor you will pick up on.  And oak is oak.  New French oak costs $$$ even if your wine sucks and that is passed to the consumer.  A lot of the wine is brutally tannic.  Not to put a lot on wine ratings, but the publications barely acknowledge that it’s an AVA, let alone rating the wine.

We started going to Santa Barbara and Paso, then decided to go back to Temecula for old times sake.  We found the wine inedible.  It was the last time we went.

But I have a soft spot for Cab Franc and have fond memories of drinking it there.  So I would recommend drinking that style.  Frangipani I enjoyed.  Hart, Wiens and Palumbo as well or cab franc.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 11:44:08 PM by Westside Threat »

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2021, 11:59:21 PM »

Oh?

I believe you, just was surprised considering the density of wineries. Also I have no clue about the area. ;) Your experience tells it better than anything, and it totally makes sense about the terroir widely affecting them.

They aren’t planning on hauling any cases back, afaik just tasting and checking out the area. Should at least be good for that, for first timers?

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2021, 12:19:25 AM »

Offline KingG

• Old Ale
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2021, 12:42:17 AM »
In all seriousness I have a lot of experience with Temecula wine.  It’s where we used to go wine tasting before we realized how close Santa Barbara was.  And before our palates developed.  I would go multiple times a year, I was a member at a couple of places. 

I created a map of every winery and ranked them.  I drank every wine offered.  I stayed at every inn.  I’d eaten at every restaurant.  I was an “expert”.  It’s a fun place to go because all the wineries are smashed together.  The weather is hot and you just get wasted.  Bachelorettes all over.  It’s fun.

The problem is, the terroir sucks.  It’s too damn hot and everything over ripens.  The wines from there have a very specific flavor you will pick up on.  And oak is oak.  New French oak costs $$$ even if your wine sucks and that is passed to the consumer.  A lot of the wine is brutally tannic.  Not to put a lot on wine ratings, but the publications barely acknowledge that it’s an AVA, let alone rating the wine.

We started going to Santa Barbara and Paso, then decided to go back to Temecula for old times sake.  We found the wine inedible.  It was the last time we went.

But I have a soft spot for Cab Franc and have fond memories of drinking it there.  So I would recommend drinking that style.  Frangipani I enjoyed.  Hart, Wiens and Palumbo as well or cab franc.
The other issue is they don't grow much of what could/would thrive here in this Mediterranean climate; sangiovese, carignan, grenache etc. They cater to the tourists who want Cab and Zin. Best wine I tried at Wiens was a sangiovese, no shit.
Bine & Vine Bottle Shop

www.BineandVine.com

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2021, 09:32:53 AM »
Otra Cosa sounds interesting. A natty side project of Wiens using neutral oak, co-ferments, and other experimental stuff.

https://www.pe.com/2020/05/28/heres-how-otra-cosa-is-the-next-generation-of-temecula-valley-wine-country/

https://www.wienscellars.com/blog/otra-cosa-young-wine-young-wiens

https://vinoshipper.com/shop/otra_cosa

Welp, sounds like the Wiens brewery shut down/got sold May 1st, and OC was running out of there. They went dark on social media March 10th... wonder if they will resurface or what the deal is. Bottles are still on Vinoshipper.

https://www.pe.com/2021/05/05/dine-909-temecula-brewery-pours-its-last-pint
« Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 09:35:28 AM by emerge »

Offline borrowedladder

• Old Ale
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2021, 11:37:16 AM »

I know. I told them to a t what I wanted but it did not do what they said it would.  Honestly, thc is thc so I don't see why strains would matter. Weed sellers/dealers are like used car salesmen.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2021, 12:27:53 PM »

I know. I told them to a t what I wanted but it did not do what they said it would.  Honestly, thc is thc so I don't see why strains would matter. Weed sellers/dealers are like used car salesmen.

Indica and sativa are different, they produce different effects that are documented. It definitely has to do with the dosage too, as Howard mentioned upthread. Guess why I haven't been to a dispensary? I don't like car salesmen either, and I can get my own weed. :mellow: Anyway, back to the relevant substance, alcohol! :ale:
« Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 12:30:34 PM by emerge »

Offline beastiefan2k

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Double IPA
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2021, 01:59:43 PM »
Threadjack at this point.

As far as I know, there are no pure strains of sativa  or indica. Everything is a blend and most are blends of blends. The descriptors are either someone’s anecdotal experience or marketing from a company. Neither of those are strong sources and I generally don’t take much stock in them.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2021, 09:08:23 PM »
Here’s more SD stuff

North Park Beer
Burgeon
Pure Project
Pizza Port
Craft Coast

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2021, 04:04:09 PM »
Any opinions on Burgeon, Pure Project, or Fathom Bistro? :popcorn:

Offline KingG

• Old Ale
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2021, 11:27:03 PM »
Burgeon = Fantastic IPAs and Pilsners. New tasting room in Little Italy has bomb food too.

Pure Project = Solid to very good beer, a little over-priced and over-hyped though.

Fathom Bistro = One of my favorite places to have a beer in SD, owned by a terrific human being.
Bine & Vine Bottle Shop

www.BineandVine.com

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2021, 11:01:08 PM »
Burgeon = Fantastic IPAs and Pilsners. New tasting room in Little Italy has bomb food too.

Pure Project = Solid to very good beer, a little over-priced and over-hyped though.

Fathom Bistro = One of my favorite places to have a beer in SD, owned by a terrific human being.

Cool, thanks! Fathom looks like a cool spot. I think BL did make it to Burgeon.

Offline sunscar22

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2022, 12:04:28 AM »
I just booked a stay in Escondido and will be going to a few breweries while I'm down there.  I'll make sure to stop by the Bine and Vine. 

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2022, 12:18:39 AM »
I just booked a stay in Escondido and will be going to a few breweries while I'm down there.  I'll make sure to stop by the Bine and Vine.
:goodposting:
Joshua Tree & Salton Sea if you have time.

Offline sunscar22

• Quadrupel
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2022, 10:23:34 PM »

We went to Joshua Tree last year.  It was great.  Loved the rock formations and Chula Cactus. 

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2022, 08:09:14 AM »

We went to Joshua Tree last year.  It was great.  Loved the rock formations and Chula Cactus.
Awesome :cheers:
Salton Sea is more of an oddity, a decayed ghost resort town, dried up lake that looks more like the moon, unusual art installations. Slab City is another weird spot like this, sort of a post apocalyptic art colony.

Offline KingG

• Old Ale
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2022, 01:02:43 AM »
Not sure of what styles you prefer but Lost Abbey still kills it. Wild Barrel is solid. Burgeon has a nice tasting room in Escondido and their beers are terrific.

Let me know when/if you come down to B&V.
Bine & Vine Bottle Shop

www.BineandVine.com

Offline sunscar22

• Quadrupel
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2022, 10:27:54 PM »
Not sure of what styles you prefer but Lost Abbey still kills it. Wild Barrel is solid. Burgeon has a nice tasting room in Escondido and their beers are terrific.

I will definitely make B&V a priority.  I like most styles but will have three other families with me.  One of them likes most everything but the other two have narrower interests.  If the places are family friendly it will make it easier and if they have food that is even better.  I haven't had Lost Abbey in a while but I've loved all their beers I have tried so good to hear it is worth the stop.  I'll look into Burgeon. 

We'll be traveling down to SD each day so we can stop anywhere in between. 

Offline Westside Threat

• Barleywine
  • Carpe Cervisiam
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2022, 10:31:22 PM »

I havent drank Lost Abbey in forever.  Did they get their quality control together or still releasing infected beers?  Or was that only 15 years ago  :lol:

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2022, 07:46:46 AM »

I havent drank Lost Abbey in forever.  Did they get their quality control together or still releasing infected beers?  Or was that only 15 years ago  :lol:

They were my first experience with the hype-disappointment cycle.  Drove up to Chicago after they entered that market, to buy a bunch of old hop-faded beers.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2022, 09:58:10 AM »

They were my first experience with the hype-disappointment cycle.  Drove up to Chicago after they entered that market, to buy a bunch of old hop-faded beers.
Were these the Port beers? I remember there was a time where we'd only buy them on draft. Met Tomme Arthur at a Binnys event when they launched here, but I vaguely remember the distributor sending old stock so it just sat around.

Still have a Red Poppy can in the fridge. Seems very weird that they're essentially in black Red Bull cans. :D

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2022, 10:04:40 AM »

Were these the Port beers? I remember there was a time where we'd only buy them on draft. Met Tomme Arthur at a Binnys event when they launched here, but I vaguely remember the distributor sending old stock so it just sat around.

Still have a Red Poppy can in the fridge. Seems very weird that they're essentially in black Red Bull cans. :D

Was a mix of Port and the non-rare Lost Abbey beers.  The LA's were fine but not great, and the Ports were all totally disappointing.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2022, 10:18:13 AM »

Was a mix of Port and the non-rare Lost Abbey beers.  The LA's were fine but not great, and the Ports were all totally disappointing.

I remember getting burned by the old Port bombers too, but the kegs were always fresh. Same feelings about their standard lineup, I tried everything but didn't repeat buy much. Red Poppy, Cuvee de Tomme, and Old(er) Viscosity being the exceptions.

Before they arrived here, I was trading with a guy in SD and getting super fresh Port stuff that was great. I swear that i've seen Port Wipeout on tap here in the last 5 years, but the bombers have been long gone. Getting crowded out by the haze and candy beers.

Offline KingG

• Old Ale
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2022, 02:16:07 PM »
The key with the Port stuff is freshness. Mongo DIPA and Wipeout IPA are amazing beers and heavily in my rotation, but I also get them a week after canning so...
Bine & Vine Bottle Shop

www.BineandVine.com

Offline KingG

• Old Ale
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2022, 02:17:05 PM »

I will definitely make B&V a priority.  I like most styles but will have three other families with me.  One of them likes most everything but the other two have narrower interests.  If the places are family friendly it will make it easier and if they have food that is even better.  I haven't had Lost Abbey in a while but I've loved all their beers I have tried so good to hear it is worth the stop.  I'll look into Burgeon. 

We'll be traveling down to SD each day so we can stop anywhere in between.
If you want family-friendly just go to a Pizza Port. Kids get video games and pizza, parents get drunk off world class beer. Win-win.
Bine & Vine Bottle Shop

www.BineandVine.com

Offline KingG

• Old Ale
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2022, 02:19:04 PM »

I haven't had much from them as far as barrel-aged bottles in a while, but the BA stuff I've drank on tap have been great. Their Wild beers have become more acetic over the years.
Bine & Vine Bottle Shop

www.BineandVine.com

Offline sunscar22

• Quadrupel
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2022, 07:16:19 PM »
Heading to B&V in a couple hours. Right after I finish the zoo

Offline sunscar22

• Quadrupel
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2022, 07:33:34 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions.  We went to Pizza Port in San Marcos and it was great.  Kids had fun and the adults really enjoyed it also.  Also went to one of the Stone breweries with just the dads one night.  Stopped by Bine and Vine.  Great selection but parking was rough. 

Offline KingG

• Old Ale
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2022, 04:07:05 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions.  We went to Pizza Port in San Marcos and it was great.  Kids had fun and the adults really enjoyed it also.  Also went to one of the Stone breweries with just the dads one night.  Stopped by Bine and Vine.  Great selection but parking was rough.
Thanks for stopping by!  :cheers:
Bine & Vine Bottle Shop

www.BineandVine.com