search

Author Topic: ***Official*** Spontaneous Fermentation Thread  (Read 2289 times)

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • American Sour Ale
    • Research page @ Lambic.info
Re: ***Official*** Spontaneous Fermentation Thread
« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2021, 04:42:48 AM »
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 05:11:41 AM by emerge »

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #51 on: May 25, 2021, 10:33:21 PM »
Counter Weight, Hamden, CT

“Metanoia is a blend of 1 and 2 year old spontaneous barrels rested on Carignan wine grapes. The result is a beer with notes of juicy ripe raspberry, tart pomegranate, subtle spice with a bright acidity. It's almost hard for us to believe that the conceptualization of this beer began more than 5 years ago and is in bottles and ready to be enjoyed.”

Offline bakes

• VIP and TBS Founding Member
  • Barleywine
  • Alcospeakerholic
« Reply #52 on: June 05, 2021, 06:48:37 PM »

It's odd they go to the trouble to brew spontaneous, but then crank out abominations like this. :mellow: :no:

https://untappd.com/user/MattSRoss81/checkin/978847002

What did it look like before it came back up?  :-X
My friends say I'm like doing the laundry and forgetting the bleach: I'm not as bright as I could be.

Gator to Pols: I bet you wish the last wedding you went to was the one right before yours....

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2021, 08:03:47 PM »

It's odd they go to the trouble to brew spontaneous, but then crank out abominations like this. :mellow: :no:

https://untappd.com/user/MattSRoss81/checkin/978847002

What did it look like before it came back up?  :-X

:lol: :-X

Offline BryanC

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Old Ale
« Reply #54 on: June 05, 2021, 10:43:57 PM »
Found another brewery releasing their first spon beer, Triple Crossing in Richmond, VA: BryanC>hey

Wild Air: Raspberry

Looks like it’s still available too.  Guess I’ll have to take one for the team and check it out.  IMO - TC is one of the better breweries here.  If they put this out @22 a bottle, it’s probably pretty good.

Popped one of these the other day.  Pretty good.  Fruit forward and pretty sour without being overbearing.  I don’t know that I’ll buy another one at 22$, but I’m glad I tried it.  Sorry, forgot to take pics.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #55 on: June 06, 2021, 04:40:25 PM »
Found another brewery releasing their first spon beer, Triple Crossing in Richmond, VA: BryanC>hey

Wild Air: Raspberry

Looks like it’s still available too.  Guess I’ll have to take one for the team and check it out.  IMO - TC is one of the better breweries here.  If they put this out @22 a bottle, it’s probably pretty good.

Popped one of these the other day.  Pretty good.  Fruit forward and pretty sour without being overbearing.  I don’t know that I’ll buy another one at 22$, but I’m glad I tried it.  Sorry, forgot to take pics.
Thanks for doing the research!  :D :cheers:

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #56 on: July 21, 2021, 03:56:15 PM »
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 03:58:52 PM by emerge »

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #57 on: July 24, 2021, 09:28:00 AM »
Barrique Brewing
Nashville, TN

http://barriquebrewing.com/

Found this one thanks to Braconid’s IG post. Thanks GB :cheers:

Buried in this article, the brewer says they cool the wort overnight in the coolship.

Podcast with the brewer.

Coldchill> know any more about these guys? :popcorn:

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #58 on: August 11, 2021, 08:34:09 AM »

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #59 on: September 07, 2021, 05:47:23 PM »
Well this is interesting, another Illinois brewery trying their hand at an MT spon beer.

https://scorched-earth-brewing-company.square.site/product/koelspring-spontaneously-fermented-m-thode-traditionelle-ale/520

Apparently medalled at the "US Beer Tasting Championship" which sounds made up.

https://x.facebook.com/scorchedearthbrewing/photos/a.613883942000996/4253524208036933/?type=3&source=48

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #60 on: September 07, 2021, 11:12:12 PM »

Offline Murphadam

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Quadrupel
  • You're Awesome
« Reply #61 on: September 08, 2021, 01:36:30 PM »
HOMES Brewery in Ann Arbor, MI:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CTfAM3zruST/?utm_medium=copy_link

This is a good brewery doing fruity sours mostly.  Interesting Korean BBQ street food too.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #62 on: September 08, 2021, 01:39:21 PM »

This is a good brewery doing fruity sours mostly.  Interesting Korean BBQ street food too.

:thumbup:
Heard good things, I should plan a trip out that way. AA is a cool town, a little farther than the lake though...

Offline Murphadam

• Quadrupel
  • You're Awesome
« Reply #63 on: September 08, 2021, 02:29:15 PM »

Heard good things, I should plan a trip out that way. AA is a cool town, a little farther than the lake though...

Yeah AA also has one of the OG US spon breweries Jolly Pumpkin and a great all-lager spot called Wolverine State.  All have above average food.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #64 on: September 08, 2021, 02:39:36 PM »

Yeah AA also has one of the OG US spon breweries Jolly Pumpkin and a great all-lager spot called Wolverine State.  All have above average food.

Back when JP was doing bottle releases, I went to their AA brewpub for the Biere de Mars release. Also went to Arbor, Rathskeller, and found a bunch of records at Underground Sounds. Good times :cheers: :bakes:

Offline Murphadam

• Quadrupel
  • You're Awesome
« Reply #65 on: September 08, 2021, 04:58:52 PM »

Back when JP was doing bottle releases, I went to their AA brewpub for the Biere de Mars release. Also went to Arbor, Rathskeller, and found a bunch of records at Underground Sounds. Good times :cheers: :bakes:

Arbor Brewing was our #1 college hang.  Epic themed monthly tasting events ("holiday beers" in December, wheats in July, barleywines in January  :drunk:) with 40-50 bottles of each which was a huge rarity 1999-2001. :bakes:  All for $20 or $25. Closed last year.  :cry:
« Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 05:03:23 PM by Murphadam »

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #66 on: September 08, 2021, 05:14:53 PM »

Arbor Brewing was our #1 college hang.  Epic themed monthly tasting events ("holiday beers" in December, wheats in July, barleywines in January  :drunk:) with 40-50 bottles of each which was a huge rarity 1999-2001. :bakes:  All for $20 or $25. Closed last year.  :cry:
Cool :cheers: RIP :(

Looks like their production brewery is in Ypsi, and they have a brewpub in Plymouth still?
https://arborbrewing.com/locations/

Offline Murphadam

• Quadrupel
  • You're Awesome
« Reply #67 on: September 09, 2021, 12:54:16 AM »

Looks like their production brewery is in Ypsi, and they have a brewpub in Plymouth still?

Yeah the brand is still alive but the beer is just ok without that flagship space and the dartboards and shuffleboard.  They weirdly expanded to India a few years back - haven't heard how that  pub is doing  https://arborbrewing.com/locations/arbor-brewing-company-india/
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 12:59:23 AM by Murphadam »

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #68 on: September 09, 2021, 09:26:16 AM »

Yeah the brand is still alive but the beer is just ok without that flagship space and the dartboards and shuffleboard.  They weirdly expanded to India a few years back - haven't heard how that  pub is doing  https://arborbrewing.com/locations/arbor-brewing-company-india/

Huh. Interesting they open in India, but they don't distribute to other midwestern states. Looks like they distro cans in India, and have closed the brewpub due to covid. No FB posts for a year and a half: https://m.facebook.com/arborbrewindia/?_rdr

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #69 on: November 16, 2021, 01:24:16 PM »

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #70 on: December 08, 2021, 10:42:34 AM »
Tried Beechwood's 3-year spontaneous blend last night. "We Are Who We Pretend To Be"

Pretty good, though it lacked the funk and rustic qualities that make a great lambic. Lemon pith and grapefruit, clean lactic and citric acidity, very dry with a lot of fresh oak too. A little too clean and straightforward, but enjoyable to drink.

"WE ARE WHO WE PRETEND TO BE 2020
Gueuze-inspired sour ale. Blend of 1, 2, and 3 year old barrels.

This is our third three-year blend of spontaneous beer! The 2020 blend consists of nine oak barrels ranging from 16 to 41 months old, with average blend age of 20 months old. Blending this beer each year is one of our favorite things to do and gives us a chance to apply the experience and knowledge accumulated over the last few years and focus it into a single blend. The aroma is complex with earthy funk, earth, hay, apricot, apple and light oak. Flavors of overripe stone fruit, aged hops, funk, slightly salty minerality that is supported by a pleasing acidity balanced by a medium body and touch of bitterness."

Offline thewimperoo

• Old Ale
  • Commit to the Indian
    • TBS Blog
« Reply #71 on: December 11, 2021, 12:09:06 AM »
Tried Beechwood's 3-year spontaneous blend last night. "We Are Who We Pretend To Be"

Pretty good, though it lacked the funk and rustic qualities that make a great lambic. Lemon pith and grapefruit, clean lactic and citric acidity, very dry with a lot of fresh oak too. A little too clean and straightforward, but enjoyable to drink.

This is our third three-year blend of spontaneous beer! The 2020 blend consists of nine oak barrels ranging from 16 to 41 months old, with average blend age of 20 months old. Blending this beer each year is one of our favorite things to do and gives us a chance to apply the experience and knowledge accumulated over the last few years and focus it into a single blend. The aroma is complex with earthy funk, earth, hay, apricot, apple and light oak. Flavors of overripe stone fruit, aged hops, funk, slightly salty minerality that is supported by a pleasing acidity balanced by a medium body and touch of bitterness."

Had this today. I thought the aroma was pretty spot on for gueuze. Really had some nice funk. I'd agree that the taste was a bit one dimensional. Overall though still one of the better Methode I've had.
Dan

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #72 on: December 11, 2021, 11:08:22 AM »

This is our third three-year blend of spontaneous beer! The 2020 blend consists of nine oak barrels ranging from 16 to 41 months old, with average blend age of 20 months old. Blending this beer each year is one of our favorite things to do and gives us a chance to apply the experience and knowledge accumulated over the last few years and focus it into a single blend. The aroma is complex with earthy funk, earth, hay, apricot, apple and light oak. Flavors of overripe stone fruit, aged hops, funk, slightly salty minerality that is supported by a pleasing acidity balanced by a medium body and touch of bitterness.”

Had this today. I thought the aroma was pretty spot on for gueuze. Really had some nice funk. I'd agree that the taste was a bit one dimensional. Overall though still one of the better Methode I've had.
Definitely smelled better than it tasted. Not bad at all, just lacked complexity imho. Seems like they’re pretty early on in their program, this might only be the second release. Hope they build up their barrels and have more to work with over time.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #73 on: December 11, 2021, 11:24:22 AM »
Microbrasserie Pit Caribou in Montreal Quebec has a spontaneous program, bottling several varieties.

https://pitcaribou.com/en/beers/?beer-category=spontaneous-fermentation

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #74 on: December 29, 2021, 02:23:52 PM »
Norbæk GaardBryggeri, Arhus, Denmark

https://instagram.com/norbaekgaardbryggeri
« Last Edit: December 29, 2021, 02:48:51 PM by emerge »

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #75 on: January 11, 2022, 11:32:43 AM »
Yazoo added to the list. Coldchill>hey

When did Mantra Artisan Ales close? They did some coolship stuff too.

Embrace The Funk: Ciel Natal

From the “Natural Skies” of Tennessee this sour pale ale rests overnight in our coolship slowly inoculating with the environmental native wild yeast & bacteria of our area. Brewed with pilsner malt, raw wheat and whole leaf aged hops this blended beer evolves multiple years in oak casks

In other news, funkiest coolship award, an El Camino. :lol:
https://beerandbrewing.com/a-coolship-is-anything-you-want-it-to-be/

Offline bakes

• VIP and TBS Founding Member
  • Barleywine
  • Alcospeakerholic
« Reply #76 on: January 26, 2022, 10:35:52 PM »
Wayward Lane Brewig opened last weekend in an old hop drying barn about 45 minutes south of me in Schoharie.  Theu have a coolship upstairs and have been talking to Scotty Veltman at Indian Ladder about how and when to brew the wort. :thumbup:

:excited: Wow, really exciting! :cheers:

Do many of these exist? Could it apply for landmark status? I ask bc they've been landmarked in Belgium, not sure i've ever seen one in the states, but surely they're all over the PNW.

No idea. Heading down there again next weekend, will ask them.  Also, this:  https://www.facebook.com/waywardlanebrewing/posts/519207019458377

Awesome :cheers:

Spoke w the brewer a week or so ago.  Just brewed another batch and going to be sampling the first couple of batches soon for blending.  Soon!!!  :pickle:
My friends say I'm like doing the laundry and forgetting the bleach: I'm not as bright as I could be.

Gator to Pols: I bet you wish the last wedding you went to was the one right before yours....

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #77 on: January 27, 2022, 07:01:10 AM »
Wayward Lane Brewig opened last weekend in an old hop drying barn about 45 minutes south of me in Schoharie.  Theu have a coolship upstairs and have been talking to Scotty Veltman at Indian Ladder about how and when to brew the wort. :thumbup:

:excited: Wow, really exciting! :cheers:

Do many of these exist? Could it apply for landmark status? I ask bc they've been landmarked in Belgium, not sure i've ever seen one in the states, but surely they're all over the PNW.

No idea. Heading down there again next weekend, will ask them.  Also, this:  https://www.facebook.com/waywardlanebrewing/posts/519207019458377

Awesome :cheers:

Spoke w the brewer a week or so ago.  Just brewed another batch and going to be sampling the first couple of batches soon for blending.  Soon!!!  :pickle:
Nice! :excited: :thumbup: