search

Author Topic: We went to Atlanta  (Read 1404 times)

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Barleywine
  • If I've offended you, it made me happy.
We went to Atlanta
« on: March 28, 2021, 08:58:20 PM »
We decided to go to Atlanta for spring break.  Numbers were trending down for covid, and we really wanted a small slice of normal, so we went for it.  Booked an apartment instead of a hotel, and the only indoor activity we had planned was going to the aquarium, so we thought it was a calculated risk.

I had recently been talking to my brother about a family member of ours (grandmother's uncle), who had 275 wooded acres in the middle of nowhere Tennessee.  We looked it up on Google Maps, and his family must have cross cut the entire property.  The way the logging roads were carved, it looked like it was being prepped to be turned into a subdivision, but nope, just completely scalped.  That made me not want to stop by, but when we drove past Murfreesboro, it wasn't the middle of nowhere anymore.  I-40 is eight lanes wide, there was a shopping center, car dealerships.  This was where I learned to hunt and fish, miles from civilization, and now it's just another suburb.

Other than the realization that my memories are nothing but, the drive was uneventful.  Atlanta was busy as all fuck, just like it always is.  There's an express lane when you come in on I-75, but you have to use a pass that I don't have, so stuck sitting in 6-8 lanes of gridlock for the last hour.  Our apartment was downtown, mixed in to the Georgia State campus.

Six Flags was only open on the weekend, and we got in on Saturday, so we did that on Sunday.  Nobody's distancing anything there, but it's all outside, and there was tons of sunshine, which the president told me kills the virus instantly.  Easy lines until the end of the day when it got really busy.  The longest line we saw all day was to get flash passes that let you skip the line.  Talk about irony.

The aquarium is really cool, but other than the whale sharks, not monumentally better than the Newport or Shedd aquariums.  People were trying to distance, but kids will be kids.  They setup viewing stations for the big tanks, separated by plexiglass, so that helped.  Those whale sharks are enormous, and so were the manta rays.  Very cool to see in person.

The kid had a project to do something history related during spring break, and there's tons of civil rights stuff in Atlanta, so we looked up the King Center.  What I didn't realize was our apartment was on Auburn Avenue, ground zero for the entire movement, and a short walk away from King's church.  We walked over there, but because it's all run by the national park service, it's all closed.  They had a walking tour of the outsides of the buildings, but that was it.  Saw his tomb and eternal flame, the house he was born in, walked around his church. 

This was really melancholy for me for a few reasons.  First, it doesn't feel like we've made a ton of progress since then.  I know that's a pessimistic viewpoint, but just how I felt.  At the same time, there are a fuckton of homeless black men in this area, even sleeping on the sidewalk directly across the street from his church.  Was weird seeing people who slipped through the cracks so close to such a profound location.  Kind of doubled down on my feeling of no progress.

Since we were on our own, we talked about the history her school leaves out.  That King was a notorious pussy hound.  That the FBI tried to use that against him, and the letter they sent encouraging him to kill himself.  I had her look up the letter later.  I also told her that this isn't to downplay his contributions, or say the government's evil, but to highlight that nobody is pure good or evil, there's always shades of grey.  We walked through the Sweet Auburn Market on the way back to the apartment.

Of course I had to take the ladies shopping.  Most stores are doing the distancing thing, but some are going to the next level and only letting a handful of customers in the store at a time.  There's a shitload of money in Atlanta, but not just in general, specifically well to do black folks.  Nice cars, expensive clothes, well put together, it really felt like a movie.  We went to a cool breakfast spot (Breakfast at Barney's) and had an amazing meal, but the bus boy was the only other white dude in the place.  Even then, lot's of Louis Vuitton, Gucci, etc.  Kind of reframed my feelings on the homeless, and it just felt like the rest of America where the people struggling are really struggling, and the rich are very rich.

My wife and I snuck out one night to a bar with a patio.  Emerge would love this place.  Sister Louisa's Church of the Living Room & Ping Pong Emporium.  Crazy that it shares an alley with the King Center.  The entire place is decorated in sacrilegious art.  It was very kooky and strange, and the walls were packed with stuff.  We sat out back on the patio while my wife had a few drinks, then walked back to our hotel.  Even though there's tons of homeless, they keep to themselves, and nobody bothered us.

All in all I'd say it was a good trip, even if I was down about a bunch of stuff while there.  We had a good time, got to enjoy some time together, and got to see something new for a while.  Hopefully we can get our vaccines soon and truly get back to normal.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
    • Research page @ Lambic.info
Re: We went to Atlanta
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2021, 03:55:26 PM »
Awesome read, Howard! :thumbup: Glad I could live vicariously. :D Went to Atlanta once as a kid to visit family, but never really saw the sights. All I remember is the kudzu. Sister Louisa's looks quirky as hell :thumbup:

Offline smellysell

• Old Ale
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2021, 04:26:31 PM »
No Brick Store?!?!

Javit› Nothing kills a boner like Jesus

braconid› I could have fucked her, but she was pure so I just went with the oral

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Barleywine
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2021, 04:46:48 PM »
No Brick Store?!?!

I'm with you on the wagon.

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Barleywine
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2021, 06:48:26 PM »
Awesome read, Howard! :thumbup: Glad I could live vicariously. :D Went to Atlanta once as a kid to visit family, but never really saw the sights. All I remember is the kudzu. Sister Louisa's looks quirky as hell :thumbup:

I've been to Atlanta three times, and each was a totally different experience.  Went when I was 19 to go to the last E3 convention hosted there before they moved it to LA.  That was me and a buddy using phony credentials to get into the "industry only" event.  Went out drinking underage because the bouncer couldn't find my birthdate on an out of state ID.  Walked straight up to the door, he asked for ID, stared at it furiously, let me in.  We stayed in Buckhead, a crazy nice area, and went to the convention center downtown, and that was about it.

Second trip was on business, so flew in right after a hurricane ravaged the city and all the rental cars were gone.  They asked if we knew how to drive a stick, and gave us a brand new 5.0 Mustang, that we treated very poorly.  The look on my boss' face when I Fast & Furioused out of the parking lot sideways will forever be burned into my memory.  The business we were there for was fact finding on a $100M+ purchase, so we kept it mostly business.  Because there was so much dough on the line, the vendors were in town too, and treated us pretty nice.  The area we were in was basically Korea-town, but usually ethnic enclaves are downtown, and this was the suburbs.  Had Korean BBQ where you cook on the table for the first time.

The city is huge, and busy, and has so much to offer.  If it was a little less of a shit-show traffic wise, it would be higher up on my retirement destination list.

Offline smellysell

• Old Ale
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2021, 07:23:06 PM »
No Brick Store?!?!

No shit? Had no clue, good for you!

braconid› I could have fucked her, but she was pure so I just went with the oral

Offline Swabs

• Where's my parrot hat?
  • VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Barleywine
  • Furley is amazNOG
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2021, 07:25:08 PM »
No Brick Store?!?!

Did we go to Brick Store?  I remember not so much of our trip there other than golfing during the day....  :unsure:
Gilly> this is totally murdering my unicorn blood boner

Offline smellysell

• Old Ale
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2021, 08:02:34 PM »
No Brick Store?!?!

Did we go to Brick Store?  I remember not so much of our trip there other than golfing during the day....  :unsure:

Yeah, it was the place with the Belgian bar upstairs. I think Konigshoeven quad on tap was both of our demise that night.

Offline sunscar22

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2021, 10:54:10 PM »
Fond memories of meeting several TBS members (Dr. Bug, Evertends, Gator) in Decatur several years back.  I had lived in Athens for three years but rarely went to Atlanta for night life.   

Offline OHLRangers

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Old Ale
  • Too much beer, too little time.
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2021, 08:16:48 PM »
Won't be too far from your middle-of-nowhere TN spot over Memorial weekend (Smithville/Cookville). Niece is having her first kid in July so heading down for the baby shower. Missed her wedding last year but will not be missing this. Want to take some time and hit Memphis (never been down that way), then perhaps to the St. Louis area to do some genealogy work (maternal grandmother grew up in Collinsville, IL).

Not on the wagon, but not really drinking either. Just want to leave work behind for a while, one PTO day taken since Feb 22, 2020.

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Geuze
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2021, 09:59:34 PM »
Won't be too far from your middle-of-nowhere TN spot over Memorial weekend (Smithville/Cookville). Niece is having her first kid in July so heading down for the baby shower. Missed her wedding last year but will not be missing this. Want to take some time and hit Memphis (never been down that way), then perhaps to the St. Louis area to do some genealogy work (maternal grandmother grew up in Collinsville, IL).

Not on the wagon, but not really drinking either. Just want to leave work behind for a while, one PTO day taken since Feb 22, 2020.

Ed!
Quote from: urbanhack
my head was buried in shuke's tits.
TITS help you hit home runs.

Offline OHLRangers

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2021, 10:17:22 PM »

Ed!

:wub:

Offline coldchill

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Old Ale
  • Foul balls are yours to keep.
    • Bootknocker Brewing Co.
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2021, 08:57:55 AM »

Be sure to wave when you pass through Nashville on your way to Memphis.  Or if you have time, we could get together and catch up a bit.
"beaver butt is not kosher"

Offline OHLRangers

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2021, 05:25:59 PM »

Be sure to wave when you pass through Nashville on your way to Memphis.  Or if you have time, we could get together and catch up a bit.

:cheers:

I'll ping you once I know what the hell we're doing, especially if I know we'll have some time in and around Nashville.

Offline OHLRangers

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2021, 07:21:31 PM »

:cheers:

I'll ping you once I know what the hell we're doing, especially if I know we'll have some time in and around Nashville.

Heading down tomorrow but still not 100% sure what kind of time we'll have (my family tends to either not say anything or not shut up...this time they're going the "not say anything" route). We had to kibosh the Memphis/St. Louis plans when my kid's boyfriend started having issues with his car last week so they're riding down with us rather than going solo as they had planned. This means we have to be back home Monday evening so those two can be at work Tuesday (I took the week off and even when plans changed I am sticking with using the PTO).

If I had to guess, plans will be made for us most of the weekend. But if that changes, I'll reach out. I think the only run up Nashville way may be to check out my niece's house (in Greenbrier, I think...can't find the address  :lol:). We shall see....

Offline unclejedi

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2021, 04:19:29 AM »
Oh my... so many experiences in ATL, including attending a wedding in MLK's church...
and yeah, mixed feelings about the place, but not sure I want to get into it.

And shit, Ed, if I had seen this sooner, I woulda said something about catching you in Mid TN too!
non-conformists are all the same...

Offline OHLRangers

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2021, 05:18:25 PM »
Oh my... so many experiences in ATL, including attending a wedding in MLK's church...
and yeah, mixed feelings about the place, but not sure I want to get into it.

And shit, Ed, if I had seen this sooner, I woulda said something about catching you in Mid TN too!

Turned out the weekend's events were hosted where we were staying, time for anything off-site became limited. Long drive down Wednesday (in heavy rain for 60+ percent of it) led to a mostly rest day Thursday. Then Friday was prep for the party, Saturday was the party, Sunday was clean-up. Checked out and headed home at 5:30am Monday.

Throw in an abscess developing in one tooth on Thursday and a staph infection on my left thumb blowing up Sunday....I was alcohol-free all weekend, save a tequila shot on Saturday night (had already ate too many XS Tylenol to get me through the tooth pain so figured let the booze try to do it instead). Despite all that, we had an outstanding trip seeing/spending quality time with the fam.

May head back to N'ville later in the summer after my niece has her baby (she's due in six weeks). She threatened me with bodily violence if I didn't come back before September. She's tiny but fierce and would easily kick my ass so I don't think I am gonna take that chance.  :lol:

Who knows, perhaps that trip (and being WAY closer to Nashville as opposed to being in the "rural" part of Baxter  ;D) there may be a better opportunity to get together with folks over a beer/hot chicken sammich or something.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
    • Research page @ Lambic.info
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2021, 09:16:14 PM »
Get well soon dude, sounds painful. :thumbdown:

Offline OHLRangers

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2021, 07:21:44 PM »
Get well soon dude, sounds painful. :thumbdown:

Thumb got drained by my doc the day after we got back - antibiotic ointment for the outside and oral antibiotics taking care of both the thumb and abscess (had a handful of antibiotic caps at home from a previous dental procedure, so started taking them when we got home on Monday evening, so the worst of the tooth pain started clearing up pretty quickly).

Thumb is doing ok...no pain, is healing up but skin has been shedding a bit all around the nail. Keeping up with the antibiotics (oral and external) for one more week and covering it up as much as possible. Should be fine and not anticipating any long-term issues.

Dentist referred me to the endodontist, so likely will need a root canal when I see the endo on Monday.  :pickle: And later this month, two more dental implants will be attempted (first try (on a different tooth) failed two years ago - had to get a permanent bridge). These two implants are next to the potential root canal tooth. So lots of fun in June.

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Barleywine
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2021, 07:56:07 PM »
My wife has had a couple root canals and says they get a bad rap.  She's rather do that than get a filling.

Offline OHLRangers

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2021, 09:53:04 PM »
My wife has had a couple root canals and says they get a bad rap.  She's rather do that than get a filling.

I've unfortunately had my share...but agree they are really no big deal.