search

Author Topic: March 2021 DARK LAGERS month  (Read 3525 times)

Offline beastiefan2k

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Double IPA
Re: March 2021 DARK LAGERS month
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2021, 01:20:20 AM »
Lev Black Lion - Czech, 4.7%, 500mL, can’t figure out bottle code

There is a spoiled fruit & light lactose mix in the nose. That’s not great. F: A lovely clean maltiness w/ dark biscuit. But then a weird medicinal finish. There is a bad start & end but middle ain’t bad. May be old, can’t tell code.

Offline heckmanm

• TBS Founding Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2021, 10:22:39 AM »
Stopped at my local and found they had a doppelbock that just came on tap. PERFECT!

It ended up being a pale doppelbock (like a big Maibock), so it didn't fit the category but it was excellent. Big bready malt with a hoppy finish, kind of like an imperial Helles.
Give a man a beer, and he'll waste an hour

Teach him to brew, and he'll waste a lifetime

Offline sunscar22

• Quadrupel
« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2021, 11:38:48 PM »
Local place finally got their Schwarzbier, General Schwarz, back so I grabbed a crowler.  Hoppier than I remember but not so much that it dominates the malt.  Nice and sticky with a great bready aroma.  32 ounces of 5.8% goodness. 

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2021, 10:15:12 AM »
It’s nice that the schwarz has become a bit more of a popular seasonal across the country. I remember a time when finding a domestic schwarz was super rare, it was Saranac and barely anyone else.

Offline flyingbison

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2021, 03:11:08 PM »
Had Kostritzer Schwarz and I am reminded that I keep forgetting how drinkable and flavorful this is for such a commonplace beer. I had a 330mL capped bottle from a random store. However, they sell 4-packs of tallboys for $6.99 at my local beer shop. Real steal for that price. If I had to pull a lager lifestyle, this would be a staple.

That's another one I forget about from time to time.  I've seen the 500 ml 4 packs as low as 4.99 here in the recent past.

Picked up a 4-pack of cans today.  Regular price is still 4.99 at my local store. 

Refreshing beer with light mouthfeel and a very clean finish.  Less roasty and less sweetness than the Titletown Dark Helmet. A real bargain for $2.50 a liter. 

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2021, 03:17:31 PM »
Had Kostritzer Schwarz and I am reminded that I keep forgetting how drinkable and flavorful this is for such a commonplace beer. I had a 330mL capped bottle from a random store. However, they sell 4-packs of tallboys for $6.99 at my local beer shop. Real steal for that price. If I had to pull a lager lifestyle, this would be a staple.

That's another one I forget about from time to time.  I've seen the 500 ml 4 packs as low as 4.99 here in the recent past.

Picked up a 4-pack of cans today.  Regular price is still 4.99 at my local store. 

Refreshing beer with light mouthfeel and a very clean finish.  Less roasty and less sweetness than the Titletown Dark Helmet. A real bargain for $2.50 a liter.

Had one of these on Friday. Super drinkable.  Would revisit for sure.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • American Sour Ale
    • Research page @ Lambic.info
« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2021, 04:33:10 PM »
My local advised against it, the distributor here never has fresh stuff apparently. :(

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Geuze
« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2021, 06:00:39 PM »

woodman's?
Quote from: urbanhack
my head was buried in shuke's tits.
TITS help you hit home runs.

Offline BryanC

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Old Ale
« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2021, 10:10:34 PM »
Picked up a 4 pack of Landbier Dunkel from Shliling out of NH.  These guys know their lagers, and this is no exception.  Dryer than I expected, but ultimately it worked.  Goes down super easy, was hard to not immediately grab another after I finished one.

Offline flyingbison

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2021, 10:11:00 PM »

woodman's?

yes. 

They also have 4 x 500 ml of Benediktiner Helles for $4.99.  I will drink a shit ton of that this summer.

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #60 on: March 23, 2021, 12:15:31 AM »
Picked up a 4 pack of Landbier Dunkel from Shliling out of NH.  These guys know their lagers, and this is no exception.  Dryer than I expected, but ultimately it worked.  Goes down super easy, was hard to not immediately grab another after I finished one.

dang, how common is that in VA? May have to sneak over the boarder and find some.

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #61 on: March 23, 2021, 12:17:29 AM »
Had a drain pour import, something with a Z, probably super old.

Jack's Abbey Bourbon Baltic Porter did not disappoint. Mild bourbon character on a super clean Baltic Porter with low roast.

Offline BryanC

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2021, 08:19:14 AM »

dang, how common is that in VA? May have to sneak over the boarder and find some.

Honestly not sure.  The shop nearest me gets as much of it as they can, I basically haven’t shopped anywhere else since the pandemic started.  I’ve popped into TW a couple times (primarily for these threads) and I don’t think I’ve seen it there, but I can’t be sure.  I’m not really tied into the beer shop scene in NoVa anymore, but if I was you I’d call Norm’s.  If they don’t carry it you probably can’t get it north of Richmond.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #63 on: March 23, 2021, 09:30:10 AM »

Jack's Abbey Bourbon Baltic Porter did not disappoint. Mild bourbon character on a super clean Baltic Porter with low roast.

Zywiec?

Jack's Abby is great :thumbup:

Offline thewimperoo

• Old Ale
  • Commit to the Indian
    • TBS Blog
« Reply #64 on: March 23, 2021, 12:04:27 PM »
Local lager brewery with a very tasty Schwarzbier

Dan

Offline stoney

• Double IPA
« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2021, 12:19:38 PM »
Local lager brewery with a very tasty Schwarzbier

That's one byootyfull glassa beer.  :o
Poor unfortunate elderly isolated beer god.

Offline BryanC

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2021, 06:21:32 PM »

I drank a crap ton of this 2 summers ago.  Still a very solid beer, but I think that batch was a little better.  There is just a tiny bit of off flavor in the finish, maybe a little metallic?  Barely enough to notice, still a great beer. Surprising amount of body for a 4.8.

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2021, 08:43:48 PM »

Zywiec?

The beer was so bad and I was so uninterested I didn’t even take a pic. You had me searching high and low. Turns out I actually had it a few years back and rated (different label). Sucked then, as well.

Zlatopražske Dark

Love Zywiec Dark. Haven’t seen it in a while, though.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #68 on: March 23, 2021, 10:41:45 PM »

Zywiec?

The beer was so bad and I was so uninterested I didn’t even take a pic. You had me searching high and low. Turns out I actually had it a few years back and rated (different label). Sucked then, as well.

Zlatopražske Dark

Love Zywiec Dark. Haven’t seen it in a while, though.

Huh, never saw that around here, and we get a lot of oddball euro lagers.

Offline BryanC

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #69 on: March 25, 2021, 06:36:22 PM »

https://i.imgur.com/Vg6bLPI.jpg

Honestly not sure.  The shop nearest me gets as much of it as they can, I basically haven’t shopped anywhere else since the pandemic started.  I’ve popped into TW a couple times (primarily for these threads) and I don’t think I’ve seen it there, but I can’t be sure.  I’m not really tied into the beer shop scene in NoVa anymore, but if I was you I’d call Norm’s.  If they don’t carry it you probably can’t get it north of Richmond.

Just got Norm’s newsletter for the week. They do in fact get Shilling. I don’t know if they’ll have any of this left or not. You might also look for Modernism, their Czech dark, too.

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #70 on: March 30, 2021, 12:05:20 AM »

https://i.imgur.com/Vg6bLPI.jpg

Just got Norm’s newsletter for the week. They do in fact get Shilling. I don’t know if they’ll have any of this left or not. You might also look for Modernism, their Czech dark, too.
I probably wont get down there till May at the earliest. But now its on my radar. Appreciate the info.

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #71 on: March 30, 2021, 12:10:47 AM »
Had 2 beauties last week.

Monument City (a local) Campfire Series Doppelbock
I was into it, not just a sweet mess lager. Can't remember too much but would buy again if I had the chance.

Pardubický Porter
This Baltic Porter was phenomenal. Look for it in the Euro lager section. I am so happy I tried it thanks to these threads. It was less than $3 for a 500mL bottle. Not super fresh but still drank good  :banned: Clean lagered dark malts with nothing off-putting. Super quaffable despite being almost 8%. Could have put down another one right away if I had more.

Offline heckmanm

• TBS Founding Member
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #72 on: March 30, 2021, 09:55:42 PM »
Gout flareup set me back for a week or so, but I drank the Schlenkerla Marzen on Sunday with no ill effects. It was fabulous, as usual.

Will target the Schlenkerla Doppelbock tomorrow evening.

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #73 on: March 31, 2021, 08:44:01 PM »
So far, this has been my favorite month of doing this.

Offline fRed Scare

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • Fnord
« Reply #74 on: April 01, 2021, 09:48:35 AM »
Finished out the month with a Troegenator dopplebock
Quote from: J-Rod
I ended up drinking 9 times my body weight in beer, broke three glasses over my head, 7 over others, ordered up 17 hookers for a little afterparty, held a cabbie hostage while running his cab through the Madison capitol doors, and I grabbed gator's ass.

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #75 on: April 25, 2021, 12:49:52 PM »
OK, I 'll be buying Xingu more often.  This stuff is fantastic.
inspired by this post, I picked up a bottle recently as well.  Completely agree that this stuff is stellar. One tends to overlook this beer b/c it typically sits in the import section surrounded by less than stellar stuff.

Offline urbanhack

• VIP and TBS Founding Member
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • no manches
« Reply #76 on: April 26, 2021, 11:16:48 AM »
Adding a note that I had an Ex Novo dark mexican lager over the weekend it was fucking fabulous! 
i'm not good at putting this stuff in words but i can't see myself with anyone else except maybe urbanhack.

Offline bakes

• Barleywine
  • Alcospeakerholic
« Reply #77 on: April 26, 2021, 05:29:51 PM »

One branch of my mom's family hails from near Bad Kostritz.  Pretty sure there's a detectable concentration of it in my blood.  One of my favorite brews when fresh.
My friends say I'm like doing the laundry and forgetting the bleach: I'm not as bright as I could be.

Gator to Pols: I bet you wish the last wedding you went to was the one right before yours....

Offline BryanC

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #78 on: May 10, 2021, 09:27:18 PM »
Stumbled across this while search TW for bocks, couldn’t resist including it.  First time I’ve seen this one, and only the 3rd beer I’ve seen from them.  This was very good, great even.  Not super surprising though, given how good their ofest and Pilsner are.  At this point I’ll drink anything Ayinger.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #79 on: May 11, 2021, 12:58:04 AM »

One branch of my mom's family hails from near Bad Kostritz.  Pretty sure there's a detectable concentration of it in my blood.  One of my favorite brews when fresh.
Found a single can of this, and it was better than I remember. More dry and less sweet molasses.

Offline stoney

• Double IPA
« Reply #80 on: May 11, 2021, 11:51:54 AM »
Stumbled across this while search TW for bocks, couldn’t resist including it.  First time I’ve seen this one, and only the 3rd beer I’ve seen from them.  This was very good, great even.  Not super surprising though, given how good their ofest and Pilsner are.  At this point I’ll drink anything Ayinger.

OMG, Ayinger brews some of the finest beers on the planet. I'd drink little else if it was readily available up here.

https://www.ayinger.de/cms/index.php/our-beer-specialties.html

Four precious bottles of Celebrator still lurking in the DBF............
Poor unfortunate elderly isolated beer god.

Offline heckmanm

• TBS Founding Member
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #81 on: May 12, 2021, 07:02:04 AM »

OMG, Ayinger brews some of the finest beers on the planet. I'd drink little else if it was readily available up here.

https://www.ayinger.de/cms/index.php/our-beer-specialties.html

Four precious bottles of Celebrator still lurking in the DBF............
It *IS* bock month, don'cha'know

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #82 on: May 21, 2021, 10:57:29 AM »
Had a nice Schwarzbier at BiXi last night with BL :cheers: :banned:

Online Westside Threat

• Barleywine
  • Carpe Cervisiam
« Reply #83 on: May 24, 2021, 03:52:48 PM »
Step brother is coming down for Memorial day and he will be bringing me some of the legendary Death and Taxes canned  :excited:

https://moonlightbrewing.com/products/death-taxes
Should we take a cab home, Jesus?
Shit man, we can hoof it from here.
I know you can walk on water...
But can you walk on this much beer?

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #84 on: May 24, 2021, 06:07:57 PM »
Step brother is coming down for Memorial day and he will be bringing me some of the legendary Death and Taxes canned  :excited:

:ohyeah:

Offline BryanC

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #85 on: May 24, 2021, 09:22:44 PM »
Currently drinking a Trodden from Decidious Brewing out of NH.  Forgot to get a pic.

I may be slipping, but the beer is on point.  Perfectly balanced roast malts, smooth mouthfeel.  Honestly feels more full bodied than it’s 5%.  That might bug me if I was drinking this out in the sun, but on the couch right now it’s perfect.

Offline thickfreakness

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #86 on: May 24, 2021, 09:42:53 PM »

Moonlight makes some great stuff. When I was in Santa Rosa probably ten years ago, I enjoyed their beers as much as Russian River!

Online Westside Threat

• Barleywine
  • Carpe Cervisiam
« Reply #87 on: May 24, 2021, 10:03:18 PM »

Moonlight makes some great stuff. When I was in Santa Rosa probably ten years ago, I enjoyed their beers as much as Russian River!

When I was in college I used to drink it all the time.  It’s been 20+ years since I have had it.

Am I going to be let down...that is the question

Offline thickfreakness

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #88 on: May 25, 2021, 12:00:13 AM »

When I was in college I used to drink it all the time.  It’s been 20+ years since I have had it.

If you like well made traditional beers, you'll probably be good. I gravitate a lot towards Live Oak locally. Well made German styles all day.  :ale:

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #89 on: May 25, 2021, 04:25:30 AM »
Meeting Brian from Moonlight on my honeymoon was pretty awesome. The beer ain’t bad either. :banned:

Online Westside Threat

• Barleywine
  • Carpe Cervisiam
« Reply #90 on: May 25, 2021, 02:08:10 PM »

If you like well made traditional beers, you'll probably be good. I gravitate a lot towards Live Oak locally. Well made German styles all day.  :ale:

Jesus, I used to trade for Live Oak back in the day.  I haven't thought about the brewery in a long time

Offline thickfreakness

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #91 on: May 26, 2021, 12:41:23 PM »

Jesus, I used to trade for Live Oak back in the day.  I haven't thought about the brewery in a long time

Back in my early beer days and Live Oak Hefe was in the top 25 on BA, a group of locals and myself would split a keg of the Hefe and bottle and trade bombers of it. It was a great deal for us and the beer still kicks ass. One of the few Hefes I ever drink.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #92 on: May 26, 2021, 01:01:11 PM »

Back in my early beer days and Live Oak Hefe was in the top 25 on BA, a group of locals and myself would split a keg of the Hefe and bottle and trade bombers of it. It was a great deal for us and the beer still kicks ass. One of the few Hefes I ever drink.
:goodposting:
Best in the US i've tried, although tied with New Glarus Dancing Man. ;)
Still want to try Live Oak Pilz...

Offline thickfreakness

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #93 on: May 27, 2021, 02:43:28 PM »

They have a Pre-War Pils that they released for brewery, draft and specialty beer stores that is my favorite beer right now.

https://liveoakbrewing.com/pre-war-pils/

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #94 on: May 27, 2021, 03:26:46 PM »

They have a Pre-War Pils that they released for brewery, draft and specialty beer stores that is my favorite beer right now.

https://liveoakbrewing.com/pre-war-pils/
Damn, sounds nice! :ale: :cheers:

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #95 on: December 09, 2021, 11:21:05 AM »
Had this last night:

This is a fun brewery and a fun take on the style.