search

Author Topic: A New Rochefort  (Read 751 times)

Offline beastiefan2k

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Double IPA
A New Rochefort
« on: October 02, 2020, 12:23:05 PM »
A new Rochefort Triple (notice the spelling)

https://plus.lesoir.be/328319/article/2020-09-29/une-blonde-forte-la-brasserie-de-rochefort-un-siecle-plus-tard

The first new beer for Rochefort since 1954 when the 8 was added as an intermediate beer between the 6 and 10.  Though, it may be based on a beer from the 20s.

:pickle: :pickle: :pickle: :pickle:

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
    • Research page @ Lambic.info
Re: A New Rochefort
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2020, 12:37:05 PM »
A new Rochefort Triple (notice the spelling)

https://plus.lesoir.be/328319/article/2020-09-29/une-blonde-forte-la-brasserie-de-rochefort-un-siecle-plus-tard

The first new beer for Rochefort since 1954 when the 8 was added as an intermediate beer between the 6 and 10.  Though, it may be based on a beer from the 20s.

:pickle: :pickle: :pickle: :pickle:

Very cool! :thumbup:

Here's a blurb I found in English:

https://newsabc.net/rochefort-brewery-is-marketing-blonde-trappist-for-the-first-time-in-65-years/

Rochefort brewery is marketing blonde Trappist for the first time in 65 years

Fantastic news for beer lovers: Trappist brewery Rochefort is launching a new Trappist beer, the Triple Extra. It is their first new product in 65 years and their first blond beer ever. The Triple Extra will be in stores from this weekend.

The Trappist brewery at Notre-Dame de Saint-Remy Abbey in Rochefort is known for its iconic beers Rochefort 6, 8 and 10. The Rochefort 6 is amber, Rochefort 8 and 10 are extremely heavy brown Trappists. A blond beer was still missing, but that will change with the arrival of Triple Extra. It is a Trappist with an alcohol content of 8.1 percent.

(AB Inbev calls on people from Leuven to invest in their solar panels, but all energy goes to the brewery.)

“Discontinued in 1923”

“In 1920, the abbey was already producing a strong blond beer, but production was discontinued in 1923,” the brewery said in a press release. “We had been considering releasing a blonde beer for several years, but then decided to wait until exactly 100 years after the production of the first ‘blonde’.”

(Duvel comes with a new beer.)

Limited stock

Although the beer will already be introduced this weekend, it will initially only be produced in a limited edition. “We are surprised by the quality of the first brews, but we will continue to evaluate the beer and make adjustments where necessary,” said the brewery.

As if all that wasn’t enough, this Trappist gets a bottle with a purple sticker on it. “A color that is very present in the Catholic religion and also the color of friendship”, the brewers say.

Offline Stu

• Trade Count: (0)
  • IPA
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2020, 01:31:16 PM »
IN!!!

:pickle: :pickle: :pickle: :pickle: :pickle: :pickle:
A good plan violently executed today is better than a perfect plan next week.

Strong like bull, smart like tractor.

Offline stoney

• Double IPA
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2020, 01:31:42 PM »
WOW!!!

I haven't been so excited about a new beer since, like, forever!!!

I LOVE Tripel. Or Belgian Strong Golden (Blonde), whatever.

MUST BUY NUMEROUS BOTTLES.

*grunt*
Poor unfortunate elderly isolated beer god.

Offline BryanC

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Old Ale
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2020, 01:44:53 PM »
Triple is probably my least favorite Belgian style, but I’ll still try this if it makes it’s way here.

Offline borrowedladder

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Old Ale
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2020, 03:26:33 PM »
Triple is probably my least favorite Belgian style, but I’ll still try this if it makes it’s way here.

Seconded!

Offline Westside Threat

• VIP and TBS Founding Member
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Barleywine
  • Carpe Cervisiam
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2020, 10:19:45 PM »
My wife loves tripels.  Generally they are too sweet for me but once in a while they really hit the spot (Dulle Teve) and they do age great.  I’m really excited about this release, 8% has hopes of not being overbearing.

But the choice is interesting...nobody in the states is going to be buying this.  Is the market for tripels in Belgium still thriving?
Should we take a cab home, Jesus?
Shit man, we can hoof it from here.
I know you can walk on water...
But can you walk on this much beer?

Offline borrowedladder

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Old Ale
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2020, 06:14:23 PM »
My wife loves tripels.  Generally they are too sweet for me but once in a while they really hit the spot (Dulle Teve) and they do age great.  I’m really excited about this release, 8% has hopes of not being overbearing.

But the choice is interesting...nobody in the states is going to be buying this.  Is the market for tripels in Belgium still thriving?

From what I remember reading a lot of this stuff is for the export market especially US and UK.  emerge is your guy, however on all things Belgium. When we were there, a lot of the tourists were American or Brit and we wanted that stuff and Lambic.  The locals(young, beer centric) seemed more interested in hoppies and pastry stouts. Everyone else was old and drank Jupiler or Jupiler with flat soda.

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2020, 08:32:11 PM »
For the past few decades, there is barely a market in Belgium. Belgium is highly reliant on exporting (and limiting imports) their beers to sustain the small brewery market. The US was traditionally their largest export market.

Of course things have a changed a bit over the years. But even if each store that currently carries Rochefort in the US purchased a case of the new one that would likely be enough reason to brew it. The US isn't even on the radar at the moment. Looks like the UK got their allotment.

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2020, 08:33:09 PM »
Jupiler with flat soda.
ewww. didn't realize that was a Belgian thing.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2020, 08:39:38 PM »
Tripels aren’t all the rage, but Trappists are pretty popular in Belgium, at the beer bars and cafés at least. They often have their own page on the menu. Rochefort has cachet, and multi-generational appeal. I’d guess it will sell on name alone.

Offline stoney

• Double IPA
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2020, 08:43:17 PM »
Tripels aren’t all the rage, but Trappists are pretty popular in Belgium, at the beer bars and cafés at least. They often have their own page on the menu. Rochefort has cachet, and multi-generational appeal. I’d guess it will sell on name alone.

Shit, put me down for a case right now if it helps.

How bad can it possibly be.
Poor unfortunate elderly isolated beer god.

Offline Westside Threat

• VIP and TBS Founding Member
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Barleywine
  • Carpe Cervisiam
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2020, 09:54:57 PM »

From what I remember reading a lot of this stuff is for the export market especially US and UK.  emerge is your guy, however on all things Belgium. When we were there, a lot of the tourists were American or Brit and we wanted that stuff and Lambic.  The locals(young, beer centric) seemed more interested in hoppies and pastry stouts. Everyone else was old and drank Jupiler or Jupiler with flat soda.

Reminds me of Spain.  I never saw a local drink anything, and I mean anything, besides beer.  Once I got north I saw cider but never wine, port, etc
Should we take a cab home, Jesus?
Shit man, we can hoof it from here.
I know you can walk on water...
But can you walk on this much beer?

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2020, 10:42:00 AM »
This may be prompted by waning sales in export markets. Belgians have been relegated smaller & smaller shelf space in the last couple years. New products can catch interest sometimes.

I've noticed that Verhaghe has thrown out a few different Duchesse variants in the last couple years to keep things interesting, even canning.

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2020, 12:14:08 AM »
I've noticed that Verhaghe has thrown out a few different Duchesse variants in the last couple years to keep things interesting, even canning.
And I still refuse to buy them. I cannot stand Duchesse, it is highly aversive to me.

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2021, 10:03:55 PM »
Anyone try this yet? I don't think it is imported yet but available on BH.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2021, 10:22:49 PM »
I saw it on there, but went for lambic instead. Big surprise :bag:

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2021, 11:03:37 PM »
I saw it on there, but went for lambic instead. Big surprise :bag:
makes sense