search

Author Topic: Great Taste Tickets 2020  (Read 582 times)

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
Great Taste Tickets 2020
« on: April 01, 2020, 10:30:44 AM »
Great Taste Fans,

Craft beer is really important to us.  But nothing is more important than the health and safety of every patron that joins us at the Great Taste of the Midwest on the second Saturday every August.  Our traditional process for obtaining tickets (in-person sales and mail order) are a big part of the Great Taste experience that so many beer fans enjoy every year.  In addition to the festival itself, the in-person ticket sales events have become a great way to catch up with old friends, make new friends, tell stories, share tasty beers and support some of our favorite local beer establishments.

In light of recent event cancellations (including the NBA, MLB, PGA, NCAA, SXSW Festival, numerous concert tours, etc.), we are deep in discussion regarding our processes and events surrounding this year’s festival.  Since August is a long way into the future, we are still planning to hold the 34th Great Taste of the Midwest on August 8, 2020 at this time.

Great Taste ticket sales are quickly approaching on May 3, 2020 and the climate may evolve as the weeks go by.  We will continue to monitor the situation and work within the recommendations provided by the Center for Disease Control, Public Health Madison and Dane County and other local health authorities.  Our staff is evaluating the safety concerns of holding in-person ticket sales events as well as other options we could implement for ticket sales.

Any updates will be communicated on this website, so please check in for current information before heading out to your favorite ticket sales location to buy tickets.

Jason Walters
Chairman
Great Taste of the Midwest

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Geuze
Re: Great Taste Tickets 2020
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2020, 10:34:26 AM »
been thinking they will have to go mail or online orders only.  this is going to be a tough year for tickets.
Quote from: urbanhack
my head was buried in shuke's tits.
TITS help you hit home runs.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
    • Research page @ Lambic.info
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2020, 05:42:56 PM »
Gonna be a sad year for the line nazi. :coffee:
Maybe this is a chance to overhaul the whole outdated process.

Offline unclejedi

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2020, 07:41:57 PM »
We postponed indefinitely our Rocket City Brewfest which was scheduled for mid May, even so, if we had launched ticket sales, we pretty much knew we would have to make them refundable.  Can't see how you don't.  Thats a pretty big deal, particularly if you sell to a lot of non locals and have never done it before.
non-conformists are all the same...

Offline Severstad

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2020, 10:35:21 PM »
That statement told me absolutely nothing.

:shrug:

Offline flyingbison

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2020, 10:49:28 PM »
80/20 GT ain't happening this year.

Offline Murphadam

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Quadrupel
  • You're Awesome
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2020, 11:23:50 PM »
80/20 GT ain't happening this year.

I'm more 95/5.  It's really hard to see a path where we are clear enough of this mess to have a huge shared cups event in August.

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2020, 09:38:34 AM »
Comment

‎Doug Randall‎ to Great Taste of the Midwest
12 hrs ·
Greetings fans, Please note the following statement from our Event chair. Stay tuned here as well as our website: https://greattaste.org/tickets/ for further details and specifics for our mail order procedure.

Great Taste Fans,

Craft beer is really important to us. But nothing is more important than the health and safety of every patron that joins us at the Great Taste of the Midwest on the second Saturday every August at our favorite park in Madison.

Our traditional processes for obtaining tickets (in-person sales and mail order) are a big part of the Great Taste experience that so many beer fans enjoy every year. In addition to the festival itself, the in-person ticket sales events have become a great way to catch up with old friends, make new friends, tell stories, share tasty beers and support some of our favorite local beer establishments.

As I write this, we are required to eliminate gathering in groups larger than 10, so it may be difficult to envision a time when we can gather in a group of 10,000 at our favorite park. However, since August is a long way into the future, we are still making plans to hold the 34th Great Taste of the Midwest on August 8, 2020.

Unfortunately, the current health crisis has forced us to change our ticket sales process for this year. I know, we're just as bummed out as you are.

With the temporary ban on large gatherings, we will sell all tickets for the 2020 Great Taste of the Midwest through a mail order lottery. We will begin accepting mail order entries on June 1, 2020.

Traditionally, we sell about half of our tickets to patrons through mail order, so we know this system well and have a trained, experienced staff to process the requests.

The health climate will evolve as the weeks go by. We will continue to monitor the situation and work within the recommendations provided by the Center for Disease Control, State of Wisconsin, Public Health Madison & Dane County and other local health authorities. Our staff is continuing to evaluate the safety concerns of our staff, volunteers, patrons and brewers.

Mail order details will be communicated on this website, so please check in for current information as we approach June 1, 2020.

Jason Walters

Chairman

Great Taste of the Midwest

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2020, 11:23:17 AM »
we will sell all tickets for the 2020 Great Taste of the Midwest through a mail order lottery. We will begin accepting mail order entries on June 1, 2020.

All tickets, meaning homebrew/tasting clubs that got tickets since the beginning are SOL? :sadbanana:

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2020, 01:53:29 PM »
also noticed that it said "a group of 10,000 at our favorite park"

which seems like a lot more than 2019

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2020, 03:05:53 PM »

Maybe this was the rough draft? :unsure:

Offline Murphadam

• Quadrupel
  • You're Awesome
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2020, 03:46:11 PM »

It's 6000 tickets right?  Plus all the brewers, volunteers, vendors, bands, media, comps.  10k doesn't sound too far out of line. 

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2020, 04:29:03 PM »

It's 6000 tickets right?  Plus all the brewers, volunteers, vendors, bands, media, comps.  10k doesn't sound too far out of line. 

ooh, guess i hadn't considered it that way. good point.

Offline unclejedi

• VIP Member
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2020, 05:54:24 PM »

ooh, guess i hadn't considered it that way. good point.
yeah, we figure about only 2/3 of the people at our fest actually paid to be there... but I'll also admit, I think most festivals inflate their numbers a little.
non-conformists are all the same...

Offline Murphadam

• Quadrupel
  • You're Awesome
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2020, 12:18:29 PM »
https://greattaste.org/faq/2020-statement/

:cry:

Inevitable, but still sad to see.

Offline warriorsoul

• Macro
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2020, 12:39:14 PM »
Fucking terrible. Not like I'm shocked, but I had a few friends making the trip for their first time and I was super excited to take them around the city. So sad.
Just ring the fucking bell, you pansy.

Offline borrowedladder

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Old Ale
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2020, 01:04:50 PM »
https://greattaste.org/faq/2020-statement/

:cry:

Inevitable, but still sad to see.

I guess canceling was their only option.  Too big to move to a different date most likely.

Offline orbitalr0x

• VIP Member
  • Quadrupel
  • No sir.......I don't like it.
    • For The Love Of Beer
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2020, 01:27:35 PM »
Hey everyone!!  We're very sad as well - but with everything else being cancelled this summer - figured this was on the horizon :(

Miss everyone and hopefully we can all meet up sometime again soon.

I for one am not a fan of home-schooling I have found, LOL, who could have guessed??
It's better to regret something you have done, than it is to regret something you haven't done.

howardf says: it's rare that i don't have my cock in my hand, but whatever

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2020, 01:57:58 PM »
Fucking terrible. Not like I'm shocked, but I had a few friends making the trip for their first time and I was super excited to take them around the city. So sad.

Hey everyone!!  We're very sad as well - but with everything else being cancelled this summer - figured this was on the horizon :(

Miss everyone and hopefully we can all meet up sometime again soon.

I for one am not a fan of home-schooling I have found, LOL, who could have guessed??

Welcome back guys!!  :excited::cheers:

Sad news, figured it was coming though. :kickrock:

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2020, 02:23:35 PM »
fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucking sucks

fuck

Offline flyingbison

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2020, 02:26:53 PM »

Amen, brother. 

Offline orbitalr0x

• VIP Member
  • Quadrupel
    • For The Love Of Beer
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2020, 02:52:11 PM »

Amen, brother.

Are you doing school for multiple kids?? I'm having trouble just handling it for Marshall and he is only in 1st grade.  Regardless, hope all is well!
It's better to regret something you have done, than it is to regret something you haven't done.

Offline heckmanm

• TBS Founding Member
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2020, 07:12:10 PM »
I'm keeping the hotel room reservation for now. If it's safe to travel by then (even though logistically I get why GT has to make a decision months ahead), I still want to go kick around Madison for a few days.  Might even open up enough time to visit the Mustard Museum.

Although I may give it a bit and see if I can book the hotel way cheaper after the cancellation is announced.
Give a man a beer, and he'll waste an hour

Teach him to brew, and he'll waste a lifetime

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2020, 07:56:12 PM »
I'm keeping the hotel room reservation for now. If it's safe to travel by then (even though logistically I get why GT has to make a decision months ahead), I still want to go kick around Madison for a few days.  Might even open up enough time to visit the Mustard Museum.

Although I may give it a bit and see if I can book the hotel way cheaper after the cancellation is announced.

:goodposting: considering same

Offline flyingbison

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2020, 09:14:56 PM »

Amen, brother.

Are you doing school for multiple kids?? I'm having trouble just handling it for Marshall and he is only in 1st grade.  Regardless, hope all is well!

No, thank jeebus.  One is more than enough.  One of us is going to murder the other one before this is all over, and right now it is too close to call who it's going to be.

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Barleywine
  • If I've offended you, it made me happy.
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2020, 09:28:53 PM »

:goodposting: considering same

Let's do it!

Offline Severstad

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2020, 10:35:44 PM »
So much joy that ain't gonna happen this year.    :cry:

Offline bakes

• VIP and TBS Founding Member
  • Barleywine
  • Alcospeakerholic
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2020, 01:45:59 PM »

This is what I am thinking as well - if things have opened a bit by then, may be a fun trip.
My friends say I'm like doing the laundry and forgetting the bleach: I'm not as bright as I could be.

Gator to Pols: I bet you wish the last wedding you went to was the one right before yours....

Offline orbitalr0x

• VIP Member
  • Quadrupel
    • For The Love Of Beer
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2020, 07:36:15 PM »

This is what I am thinking as well - if things have opened a bit by then, may be a fun trip.

TBS trip to Madison for a long weekend since we can't go to Great Taste?? I'd say I'd be down for that!  Hopefully by that time things will be settled down more and maybe that's something we can pull off.

I definitely miss the pub crawls in the city and I don't even know if there have been any in recent years.

Online fRed Scare

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • Fnord
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2020, 12:25:56 PM »
If things are relatively stable in September or early October, I would absolutely LOVE to get together with everyone.
Quote from: J-Rod
I ended up drinking 9 times my body weight in beer, broke three glasses over my head, 7 over others, ordered up 17 hookers for a little afterparty, held a cabbie hostage while running his cab through the Madison capitol doors, and I grabbed gator's ass.

Offline bakes

• Barleywine
  • Alcospeakerholic
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2020, 12:03:53 PM »
If things are relatively stable in September or early October, I would absolutely LOVE to get together with everyone.

Works for me. :cheers:
My friends say I'm like doing the laundry and forgetting the bleach: I'm not as bright as I could be.

Gator to Pols: I bet you wish the last wedding you went to was the one right before yours....

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2020, 12:07:51 PM »

Works for me. :cheers:
That would be a guaranteed good time :excited: :giggity:

Offline heckmanm

• TBS Founding Member
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2020, 03:37:58 PM »
Just re-booked my hotel for the traditional weekend for $150 less  :thumbup:

Still with free cancellation, so might also be open to going a bit later (Sept/Oct like Fred mentioned) - probably want to avoid home football weekends tho.

eta - would be sweet if NG re-opened the beer garden by then.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 03:40:08 PM by heckmanm »

Offline bakes

• Barleywine
  • Alcospeakerholic
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2020, 03:53:00 PM »

Still with free cancellation, so might also be open to going a bit later (Sept/Oct like Fred mentioned) - probably want to avoid home football weekends tho.

Yeah, it's definitely going to be driven by what's open and availability, but it would be great to head out that way again.   :pickle:

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2020, 09:51:26 PM »

Yeah, it's definitely going to be driven by what's open and availability, but it would be great to head out that way again.   :pickle:
TBS beer picnic? :excited:

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Barleywine
  • If I've offended you, it made me happy.
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2020, 10:15:22 PM »
I'm in for this if we can get a consensus on when, virus allowing and all.

Offline heckmanm

• TBS Founding Member
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2020, 10:28:15 AM »
I'm thinking we probably want to avoid UW home football weekends (hotels likely more crowded/expensive), which rules out the weekends of September 4, 12, and 19; and October 3, 10 and 31.

September 26 weekend has no home football game and also coincides with New Glarus Oktoberfest (so far not canceled AFAIK)

Or later in August than the regular GT weekend might work too.

Offline Murphadam

• Quadrupel
  • You're Awesome
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2020, 09:14:51 AM »
Happy Great Taste day, team.  Miss you all!  :cry:

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2020, 01:21:59 PM »

Damn, didn’t even realize what day it was. :bag: :cry: Miss seeing everybody too. :kickrock:

Offline Severstad

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2020, 01:25:36 PM »

Damn, didn’t even realize what day it was. :bag: :cry: Miss seeing everybody too. :kickrock:

We should all start drinking at 1:00. Just because...  :banned: :banned: :banned:

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2020, 01:31:56 PM »

We should all start drinking at 1:00. Just because...  :banned: :banned: :banned:
Okay :suds:

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2020, 05:50:32 PM »

And only drink beers from the Midwest and only one of each.

Offline bakes

• Barleywine
  • Alcospeakerholic
« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2020, 03:20:37 PM »

And only drink beers from the Midwest and only one of each.

Got this message after I cracked open a Unified.  After that it was all midwest. Lots of them... LOL!