search

Author Topic: COVID-19 Closures/Sales  (Read 3575 times)

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
COVID-19 Closures/Sales
« on: March 23, 2020, 02:07:58 PM »
Has anyone heard of any yet?  I'm sure there will be some.  Curious who's going under.

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Barleywine
  • If I've offended you, it made me happy.
Re: COVID-19 Closures/Sales
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2020, 02:13:58 PM »
I bet a ton of small business go down.

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2020, 03:11:57 PM »
I bet a ton of small business go down.

That's my thought too.  We have one that is for sale locally.  I imagine that's not unique.

Offline Westside Threat

• VIP and TBS Founding Member
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Barleywine
  • Carpe Cervisiam
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2020, 03:33:33 PM »
how much you think I'll be able to buy a small scale brewery for in a couple of months?
Should we take a cab home, Jesus?
Shit man, we can hoof it from here.
I know you can walk on water...
But can you walk on this much beer?

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Barleywine
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2020, 04:33:04 PM »
how much you think I'll be able to buy a small scale brewery for in a couple of months?

Asks the only guy I know that can buy one with a personal check.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 04:37:23 PM by howardf »

Offline beastiefan2k

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Double IPA
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2020, 09:44:00 PM »
You’d have to get lucky. With all the shitty business people that got into the biz in the past decade they probably owe much more than anyone would be willing to pay for an entire operation. However, I bet the market will be flooded with used equipment soon.

I hope that this takes out the bad and mediocre brewers and the good ones. 

Offline borrowedladder

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Old Ale
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2020, 10:35:16 PM »
You’d have to get lucky. With all the shitty business people that got into the biz in the past decade they probably owe much more than anyone would be willing to pay for an entire operation. However, I bet the market will be flooded with used equipment soon.

So I guess we should all move to wine, spirits and cocktails?

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2020, 10:36:59 PM »
no
Quote from: urbanhack
my head was buried in shuke's tits.
TITS help you hit home runs.

Offline chi_dave

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2020, 11:05:57 PM »
Almost every local small brewery shifted to either pick up or delivery orders. They literally are selling out every day. I managed to secure 3 crowlers from a brewery that I've been to a few times and met the owner/brewer. He was the one out making deliveries. He said they are going to get by as long as they can keep this up.

On the other hand, a small craft beer shop near me just sent out the 'use your gift cards if you still have them' message. I feel really bad for the guy, but I just don't see a solution.

Offline Westside Threat

• Barleywine
  • Carpe Cervisiam
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2020, 10:07:03 AM »
Almost every local small brewery shifted to either pick up or delivery orders. They literally are selling out every day. I managed to secure 3 crowlers from a brewery that I've been to a few times and met the owner/brewer. He was the one out making deliveries. He said they are going to get by as long as they can keep this up.

On the other hand, a small craft beer shop near me just sent out the 'use your gift cards if you still have them' message. I feel really bad for the guy, but I just don't see a solution.

Selling out of what?  Precanned or premade crowlers or beer in general?  Amazing if the latter

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Barleywine
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2020, 10:16:38 AM »
A co-worker said his buddy owns a small brewery in a smaller town (Lafayette), and they're burning through crowlers and pre-filled growlers.  They won't refill anything just for sanitation's sake, and they're delivering.

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2020, 10:17:03 AM »

Selling out of what?  Precanned or premade crowlers or beer in general?  Amazing if the latter

Premade cans/crowlers if it's anything like here.  As much as that is great, it's only going to keep them treading water as it isn't nearly as much volume as a full taproom full of people.

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2020, 10:17:35 AM »
A co-worker said his buddy owns a small brewery in a smaller town (Lafayette), and they're burning through crowlers and pre-filled growlers.  They won't refill anything just for sanitation's sake, and they're delivering.

Yeah, plenty of places running out of empty crowlers/crowler lids/paktech three packs for crowlers.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
    • Research page @ Lambic.info
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2020, 01:13:44 PM »

Yeah, plenty of places running out of empty crowlers/crowler lids/paktech three packs for crowlers.

Same here, one place is asking for healthy volunteers to help with packaging today.

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2020, 09:40:33 PM »

damn typos!!!! not the good ones!

So I guess we should all move to wine, spirits and cocktails?

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2020, 09:46:24 PM »
Same here, one place is asking for healthy volunteers to help with packaging today.
Can't wait to get back to the olden times. You just bring whatever you want and they fill it up.

Offline chi_dave

• Quadrupel
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2020, 11:26:45 PM »

Beer straight from the tanks and in to crowlers, then delivered the same day. They are officially sold out until the next batch is ready to go.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2020, 02:29:37 PM »
Can't wait to get back to the olden times. You just bring whatever you want and they fill it up.
Back then, Pa used to send me down to the tavern with a pail and a nickel. "Filler up" I says. Sometimes the barkeep gave me a penny in change, and i'd stick it behind my ear, which was the style at the time. :bakes:
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 02:40:39 PM by emerge »

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2020, 03:09:05 PM »

Back then, Pa used to send me down to the tavern with a pail and a nickel. "Filler up" I says. Sometimes the barkeep gave me a penny in change, and i'd stick it behind my ear, which was the style at the time. :bakes:

:lol:

this reminds me of a paper route i had. my last stop was close to Pappy's liquor store. i'd walk in there and buy a glass bottle of Mountain Dew for 35 cents, drink it, return the bottle and get a dime back.

felt like the coolest thing ever.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2020, 03:49:09 PM »

this reminds me of a paper route i had. my last stop was close to Pappy's liquor store. i'd walk in there and buy a glass bottle of Mountain Dew for 35 cents, drink it, return the bottle and get a dime back.

:thumbup:
As kids, we used to pick up beer cans and take them to a recycling machine (Golden Goat) in a grocery parking lot, which would crush them and spit out a few cents in change. Free money!

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2020, 04:05:35 PM »

As kids, we used to pick up beer cans and take them to a recycling machine (Golden Goat) in a grocery parking lot, which would crush them and spit out a few cents in change. Free money!

fuck yes. we banked off the Golden Goat.

the old man would take us with him to softball tourneys on the weekends. so much beer and soda got drank and the cans tossed in those old metal trash cans. we'd just haul out as many as we could put in bags.. then take em to the goat.

hours of work for like $2.75 but totally worth it to an 8 year old.

Offline borrowedladder

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Old Ale
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2020, 05:17:30 PM »

fuck yes. we banked off the Golden Goat.

the old man would take us with him to softball tourneys on the weekends. so much beer and soda got drank and the cans tossed in those old metal trash cans. we'd just haul out as many as we could put in bags.. then take em to the goat.

hours of work for like $2.75 but totally worth it to an 8 year old.

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2020, 05:25:51 PM »
that's quite the pull

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2020, 12:09:13 AM »

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2020, 09:50:26 AM »

Offline Westside Threat

• Barleywine
  • Carpe Cervisiam
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2020, 10:20:58 AM »

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2020, 12:30:29 PM »
Green Flash/Alpine

THought they did this a year ago...
Yeah... this one probably shouldn't have been revived to start with.

Am I the only one not upset by a contraction in the craft beer business (from the beer point of view, not people's lives)?

Offline chi_dave

• Quadrupel
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2020, 10:15:54 PM »
Local dive bar with the best beer list around shifted to growler sales. A bunch of random stuff has been popping up - BA beers, lots of infused one offs, etc.

But today I was a little caught off guard...

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2020, 10:56:06 PM »
I count 3 things wrong with that picture...

Offline chi_dave

• Quadrupel
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2020, 11:13:39 PM »

I just wasn't expecting to see Tilquin on their growler fill list. I'm not sure what's going on with the Lindeman's, but the Cascade and Tilquin prices are for 32oz / 64oz fills. So like a $1.50 an oz, which doesn't seem horrible?

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2020, 11:23:28 PM »

I just wasn't expecting to see Tilquin on their growler fill list. I'm not sure what's going on with the Lindeman's, but the Cascade and Tilquin prices are for 32oz / 64oz fills. So like a $1.50 an oz, which doesn't seem horrible?
That is pretty crazy, i’ve never seen that either. Times like these you have to sell what you have though. $100 for a growler is a little nuts, but still cheaper per ounce than some bar prices for bottles.

Quetshe is neither a gueuze or wild ale though, and the Lindemans looks like they left the single serving price on there. Yes i’m a nerd. :nerd:

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2020, 02:11:01 AM »

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2020, 10:18:35 AM »
Not closure or sale but apparently 32oz crowlers are short on supply
https://www.brewbound.com/news/crowler-cans-out-of-stock-until-april-as-beer-industry-pivots-to-to-go-sales

"Just pour it in my hands for a dime!"

Also, :(
Time to dust off those empty growlers fellas. That's a potential health risk though. :confused: :(

Offline fRed Scare

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • Fnord
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2020, 10:32:07 AM »

My grandmother told us stories about how she used to do this exact thing.  Sometimes her dad would let her drink the foam off the top of the pail.
Quote from: J-Rod
I ended up drinking 9 times my body weight in beer, broke three glasses over my head, 7 over others, ordered up 17 hookers for a little afterparty, held a cabbie hostage while running his cab through the Madison capitol doors, and I grabbed gator's ass.

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2020, 10:34:02 AM »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

toss up between this and Hudson Hawk for my favorite comedies, i think

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Barleywine
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2020, 11:19:15 AM »

I love Hudson Hawk and Last Action Hero. Way underappreciated satire.

Offline sunscar22

• Quadrupel
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2020, 11:25:49 AM »

While they aren't my favorites, I agree that both of those are greatly underappreciated. 

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Barleywine
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2020, 12:28:38 PM »

While they aren't my favorites, I agree that both of those are greatly underappreciated.

Hudson Hawk is sitting at a 5.8 on IMDB, and a 17(!!!!) on metacritic, with Last Action Hero doing substantially better (6.4 and 44).  I feel like so many people didn't "get" that those movies were making fun of movies.  I saw LAH in the theater, and I remember leaving with my uncle, both in stitches, while others were severely disappointed that the latest Arnold movie wasn't what they expected.

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2020, 01:33:58 PM »

Hudson Hawk is sitting at a 5.8 on IMDB, and a 17(!!!!) on metacritic, with Last Action Hero doing substantially better (6.4 and 44).  I feel like so many people didn't "get" that those movies were making fun of movies.  I saw LAH in the theater, and I remember leaving with my uncle, both in stitches, while others were severely disappointed that the latest Arnold movie wasn't what they expected.

my memory tells me that Hudson Hawk was panned at Ishtar levels of bad when it came out.  never made sense to me. 

have never seen LAH. sounds like now's the time.

Offline stoney

• Double IPA
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2020, 01:37:05 PM »
Green Flash/Alpine

Stupid Green Flash.

If they hadn't pulled out of Wisconsin, we could have single-handedly kept them in business with Palate Wrecker alone.

I'm serious, when my local tavern had Palate Wrecker on-tap, everybody was drinking it. We drank keg after keg after keg. Then tried to order some more.

How aggravating. Finally find one super-hoppy mofo that I LIKE, and they go out of business.

*mutter*

*grumble*
Poor unfortunate elderly isolated beer god.

Offline sunscar22

• Quadrupel
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2020, 01:48:42 PM »
Green Flash/Alpine

Stupid Green Flash.

If they hadn't pulled out of Wisconsin, we could have single-handedly kept them in business with Palate Wrecker alone.

I'm serious, when my local tavern had Palate Wrecker on-tap, everybody was drinking it. We drank keg after keg after keg. Then tried to order some more.

How aggravating. Finally find one super-hoppy mofo that I LIKE, and they go out of business.

*mutter*

*grumble*

I hope they bounce back.  I haven't seen as much from Green Flash in a while.  I loved Palate Wrecker as well but I can't seem to find their stuff as easily over the past few years. 

Offline stoney

• Double IPA
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2020, 01:55:56 PM »
Green Flash/Alpine

Stupid Green Flash.

*mutter*

*grumble*

I hope they bounce back.  I haven't seen as much from Green Flash in a while.  I loved Palate Wrecker as well but I can't seem to find their stuff as easily over the past few years.

I adored that beer, as did a large number of my beer-buddies, many of whom (like me) are hardcore lager-lovers.

I would never in a billion years have expected Green Flash to go out of business. I thought Palate Wrecker was "the next big thing", like Hopslam (in the Great Lakes states).

In fact, I remember when my local had this "Green Flash Test Flight" where you got a small glass of like five or six different Green Flash beers and they were ALL excellent.

Just don't understand it. Really, I don't.

If I COULD, I'd order two cases of Palate Wrecker online right now.

That would help me survive this "coronavirus thing"
Poor unfortunate elderly isolated beer god.

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2020, 02:45:40 PM »
Green Flash/Alpine

Stupid Green Flash.

*mutter*

*grumble*

I adored that beer, as did a large number of my beer-buddies, many of whom (like me) are hardcore lager-lovers.

I would never in a billion years have expected Green Flash to go out of business. I thought Palate Wrecker was "the next big thing", like Hopslam (in the Great Lakes states).

In fact, I remember when my local had this "Green Flash Test Flight" where you got a small glass of like five or six different Green Flash beers and they were ALL excellent.

Just don't understand it. Really, I don't.

If I COULD, I'd order two cases of Palate Wrecker online right now.

That would help me survive this "coronavirus thing"

Chuck Silva leaving and Green Flash overextending themselves kind of ruined the company.  Sad.  They did have some very good beer for a long time.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2020, 03:14:13 PM »

My grandmother told us stories about how she used to do this exact thing.  Sometimes her dad would let her drink the foam off the top of the pail.
That's cool :thumbup: Though the schtick was fictitious, i've heard stories like that from back in the day. The OG of growler fills.

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2020, 04:05:04 PM »
some of you didn't grow up in Wisconsin and that makes me sad

Offline sunscar22

• Quadrupel
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2020, 04:07:30 PM »

I grew up where the cheese flows like wine

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2020, 04:23:43 PM »

I grew up where the cheese flows like wine

:wub:

Offline flyingbison

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2020, 05:26:48 PM »

Makes me sad that my kid will grow up here.

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2020, 05:31:17 PM »

but she'll be a professional drinker by the time she's 20!

Offline flyingbison

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2020, 08:58:28 PM »

but she'll be a professional drinker by the time she's 20!

bittersweet that I won't be around to see it