search

Author Topic: Pizza shops around Chicago  (Read 372 times)

Offline borrowedladder

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Old Ale
Pizza shops around Chicago
« on: January 30, 2020, 10:09:34 AM »
I have only heard of a couple and have been to none though I have had Dante's.  But a lot of places here that don't really get written about.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/dining/craving/ct-food-cult-pizza-chicago-craving-0129-20200129-fuqrseu2kfd4rn53cscg4iaohq-story.html

I haven't had a football pizza since I was a kid and would like to try it again.

Online emerge

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
    • Research page @ Lambic.info
Re: Pizza shops around Chicago
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2020, 10:53:01 AM »
Our House was at Dovetail a few times, very excellent. They gave me a free pizza coupon the first time. Idk that they have a brick & mortar.

Forno Rosso i've had on my to-do list for like 5 years. :bag:

Barnaby’s is average, at least the one I went to once a few years ago.

Marie's is local, but the quality isn't so great unless they're cranking them out from the front oven. They nickel & dime you on toppings too. $3 for giardiniera? :shrug:

Hearth & Crust is local too, good but a little pricey.

Also, this series belongs here...

Burt's RIP, long live Burt's :thumbup:

Also in the realm of unknown and questionable:

Pizza doesn't look half bad though.

Online emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2020, 10:57:46 AM »
I haven't had a football pizza since I was a kid and would like to try it again.

We should go to John's sometime, they do football pizzas. The fried chicken there is really good and cheap. Chef's Special is across the street and should be open soon for cocktails.

Cheese football in all it's greasy glory:

4-pc. dinner for $8.95, crispy & moist. (my pic):
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 11:51:57 AM by emerge »

Offline Murphadam

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Quadrupel
  • You're Awesome
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2020, 01:06:49 PM »

I've been in Chicago for 20 years and still don't understand the appeal of the "tavern cut."  Just about every one I've had has been bland with soggy crust.  I guess it's better than deep dish if you don't want to feel bloated.  New Haven 4 life. 

That fried chicken tho  :P

Online emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2020, 01:13:35 PM »

I've been in Chicago for 20 years and still don't understand the appeal of the "tavern cut."  Just about every one I've had has been bland with soggy crust.  I guess it's better than deep dish if you don't want to feel bloated.  New Haven 4 life. 

I'm used to the style but prefer Piece or Neapolitan-style in general. Pequod's is great if dine-in only.

Been wanting to go to Vito & Nick's for like 10 years but never summoned the strength to drive 25 miles to get there.
We were eating their frozen pies for awhile but the cheese was super salty.

Online flyingbison

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2020, 01:23:39 PM »

Pretty much sums up the Midwest, IMO. 

Offline borrowedladder

• Old Ale
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2020, 01:25:35 PM »

Where are you from?

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Barleywine
  • If I've offended you, it made me happy.
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2020, 01:31:10 PM »
I've had amazing tavern pizzas, usually from legit taverns.  I've also had some turrible ones.

Online emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2020, 01:36:06 PM »

Where are you from?

Offline Murphadam

• Quadrupel
  • You're Awesome
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2020, 01:44:48 PM »
Detroit Style is the best pan pizza and I will never back down on that.  I grew up in mid Michigan but barely ever had it growing up.  It's far superior to Chicago style IMO.

Still prefer New Haven (piece, coalfire) overall. 

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Barleywine
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2020, 01:57:38 PM »
Party store pizza is highly underrated, as is the party store in general.  What's not to like about a place that's whole business is booze, pop, candy, chips, pizza, and a small deli?

Online mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Geuze
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2020, 02:19:42 PM »

you need cracker crust pizza
Quote from: urbanhack
my head was buried in shuke's tits.
TITS help you hit home runs.

Online flyingbison

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2020, 02:36:07 PM »

sorry, no holes in my siding to patch

Online emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2020, 02:39:15 PM »

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Barleywine
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2020, 02:45:28 PM »

Cracker crust has gotten lucky lately.  All this crustless and cauliflower crust pizza has made it no longer the worst pizza on earth.

Online flyingbison

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2020, 02:58:54 PM »

Cracker crust has gotten lucky lately.  All this crustless and cauliflower crust pizza has made it no longer the worst pizza on earth.

:lol:

Online mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2020, 03:06:46 PM »
when i eat pizza i want cheese, sauce, meat and veggies. not 3" thick pizza crust. or the toppings in the middle with the crust covering a ring of 6" all the way around.

like when i eat a sandwich i don't throw a slice of cheese and ham on 2 pieces of dry ass Texas toast bread

you savages

Online mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2020, 03:09:43 PM »

have you found a pizza around town that you like?

what's the gold standard for you in terms of style.. or specific restaurants you've been to?

Online flyingbison

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2020, 03:15:02 PM »

have you found a pizza around town that you like?

what's the gold standard for you in terms of style.. or specific restaurants you've been to?

Rustique, Glass Nickel, Heartland are all good, but pricey.  For cheaper takeout pizza, Costco is way better than any other option within 60 miles of GB.

Online mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2020, 03:23:16 PM »
Rustique, Glass Nickel, Heartland are all good, but pricey.  For cheaper takeout pizza, Costco is way better than any other option within 60 miles of GB.

Heartland we like but it's impossible to get a pizza in under an hour there. doesn't matter if there are 100 people in the place.. or 2.

last time we waited about 30 minutes just to have a server come over. i got up and asked for assistance a couple times and was told "someone will be over in a minute".  there were like 6 people in the whole place.

90 minutes later we had pizza.

gonna be tough for me to go back after that.

Online flyingbison

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2020, 03:25:29 PM »

Heartland we like but it's impossible to get a pizza in under an hour there. doesn't matter if there are 100 people in the place.. or 2.

last time we waited about 30 minutes just to have a server come over. i got up and asked for assistance a couple times and was told "someone will be over in a minute".  there were like 6 people in the whole place.

weird.  We've been there about a dozen times or so, and I can only recall one time having slow service. 

Maybe they don't want you to come back.   :mellow:

Online mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2020, 03:29:15 PM »

weird.  We've been there about a dozen times or so, and I can only recall one time having slow service. 

wouldn't be the first time  that's happened to me  :mellow:

i'd write it off as a one time deal but every time we've gone there has been some variation on that same result. 

we get there, get seated, get drinks.... server disappears... new server comes and takes our drink order again. nobody takes our food order.
we get there, get seated, never get drinks... server takes our order.... comes back with drinks we didn't order. we never get the appetizer. her comes a pizza.
we order a pizza... we get the wrong pizza. new pizza takes an hour to come out.

we have, i think, 3 vouchers from them for discounts or free pizza because of how much they fuck up.

Offline borrowedladder

• Old Ale
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2020, 03:42:18 PM »

wouldn't be the first time  that's happened to me  :mellow:

i'd write it off as a one time deal but every time we've gone there has been some variation on that same result. 

we get there, get seated, get drinks.... server disappears... new server comes and takes our drink order again. nobody takes our food order.
we get there, get seated, never get drinks... server takes our order.... comes back with drinks we didn't order. we never get the appetizer. her comes a pizza.
we order a pizza... we get the wrong pizza. new pizza takes an hour to come out.

we have, i think, 3 vouchers from them for discounts or free pizza because of how much they fuck up.

With all these stories you tell there IS one common denominator.

Online mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2020, 03:52:08 PM »
With all these stories you tell there IS one common denominator.

not sure i follow  :mellow:

Online flyingbison

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2020, 04:05:33 PM »

I can use them.   :mellow:

Online mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2020, 04:22:02 PM »

I can use them.   :mellow:

no

Offline chi_dave

• Quadrupel
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2020, 09:59:17 PM »
Vito and Nick's sausage pizza is killer. It's been 10 years since I've stopped in, but I hope they still have carpet on the walls and the entire bar is still covered in 1970's Budweiser memorabilia.

Offline stoney

• Quadrupel
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2020, 09:08:38 AM »
when i eat pizza i want cheese, sauce, meat and veggies. not 3" thick pizza crust. or the toppings in the middle with the crust covering a ring of 6" all the way around.

like when i eat a sandwich i don't throw a slice of cheese and ham on 2 pieces of dry ass Texas toast bread

you savages

Goddam right.

I particularly hate pizza that is cut into squares. The only proper way to slice pizza is "pie cut". Each slice of pizza MUST have a crust.

All that being said, the best pizza I ever ate (by far) was in Brooklyn, at any of a number of small "Mom and Pop" pizzarias.

Thin crust, but foldable, pie cut, loaded with mushrooms, sausage, peppers and cheese, warshed down with a Brooklyn Lager.

And the waitresses all adored me because I was "the nice, polite Wisconsin boy".

One plump Eyetalian lady even pressed my HEAD between her TITS.

Good times.

Online mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2020, 09:42:41 AM »

I particularly hate pizza that is cut into squares.

:lol: my 11 year old loathes square cut. she will not eat it. she swears it tastes different because there's not enough crust.

she will say "people aren't supposed to eat just the middle of the pizza!!!"

Online flyingbison

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2020, 09:44:16 AM »

:lol: my 11 year old loathes square cut. she will not eat it. she swears it tastes different because there's not enough crust.

She's correct.

Online mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2020, 09:52:21 AM »

She's correct.

:thumbdown: 

Sammy's is the best pizza in town, guy

Online flyingbison

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2020, 10:12:06 AM »

She's correct.

If you're really into matzah

Online mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2020, 10:29:05 AM »

She's correct.

If you're really into matzah

mazel!

Offline stoney

• Quadrupel
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2020, 01:48:43 PM »

You tell that beautiful little daughter of yours that Uncle Stoney says "she a goddam genius".

Well, maybe leave out the "goddam" part (don't condone cussin' around youngsters) but you know what I mean.

Online mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2020, 02:02:39 PM »
she could go on a whole rant about it, i swear

Online flyingbison

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2020, 02:03:51 PM »

wonder where she gets that from?   :mellow:

Offline borrowedladder

• Old Ale
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2020, 02:46:33 PM »

Furley daughter rants should be a thread.  Is she the one who is also wrong about sandwich triangles?

Online mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2020, 03:52:49 PM »

Furley daughter rants should be a thread.  Is she the one who is also wrong about sandwich triangles?

:lol: two different kids but.. yes.  my 11 year old is more philosophical in her waxing whereas the 9 year old is pure rage.

that could be a fun thread