search

Author Topic: Mead?  (Read 1371 times)

Offline beastiefan2k

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Double IPA
Mead?
« on: November 10, 2019, 08:07:39 PM »
I don’t where to go but are folks into mead around here? I generally look for Polish mead and buy interesting sounding meads when I see them. But there are a lot alcopop meads nowadays and just  not interesting stuff from many meaderies.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
    • Research page @ Lambic.info
Re: Mead?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2019, 09:30:47 AM »
I like the Polish stuff too, especially this time of the year. Apis and Mazurskie are my go-to's. Not a fan of super sweet stuff, but in small doses it's ok. Mazurskie Warminski is better than the current Jadwiga, imho.

Oh, and a 750 of Polish mead for $3.16, 16% abv. :bowtie:
This was Mazurskie Piasecki. Hadn't seen it before, lucked out on the price.

Had some of the American ones and don't get the hype really. People really seem to buy into it too, from what i've experienced. Talking about Schramm's in hushed reverent tones, lol. Black Agnes is good but not incredible, imho.

I was telling Unclejedi this weekend about Pips Meadery, if he was planning a beer run up to Kenosha. Apparently you have to make a reservation for the tasting room (if they're even open, no regular hours) and the reservations were all booked. Yet i've seen a liquor store with their stuff... not sure why they make it impossible to buy direct or even sample. :shrug:

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2019, 09:56:15 PM »
Mazurskie Warminski, haven’t seen that around.

When I was in Chicago, I picked up a Misbeehavin Raspberry Peanut mead that was pretty cool.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2019, 10:19:55 PM »
Mazurskie Warminski, haven’t seen that around.

When I was in Chicago, I picked up a Misbeehavin Raspberry Peanut mead that was pretty cool.

They made a killer dry-hopped cider over the summer, that won crowd favorite at a CBS (beer society) event.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2020, 06:05:34 PM »
I like the Polish stuff too, especially this time of the year. Apis and Mazurskie are my go-to's. Not a fan of super sweet stuff, but in small doses it's ok. Mazurskie Warminski is better than the current Jadwiga, imho.

Oh, and a 750 of Polish mead for $3.16, 16% abv. :bowtie:
This was Mazurskie Piasecki. Hadn't seen it before, lucked out on the price.

Not sure if I ever shared notes on this, drank a little bit but struggling to finish the rest. Put it in the fridge.

Mazurskie Piasecki is spiced with clove, ginger, vanilla, also plum juice and "alcohol added". Drinking it now and it's better chilled with a twist of orange. Pretty strong spices and sweetness, sugary caramel and lingering clove. Probably would also be good mulled with orange peel around the holidays. Not a bad deal for $3.16 though.

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2020, 01:18:39 PM »
I am considering taking this opportunity to buy some mead online. I found a local place that ships within state but I've never had their stuff before.

Anyone have a meadery they recommend that ships?

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2020, 02:16:24 PM »
I am considering taking this opportunity to buy some mead online. I found a local place that ships within state but I've never had their stuff before.

Anyone have a meadery they recommend that ships?

Misbeehavin' Meads out of Valparaiso IN ships a few things through VinoShipper.

https://vinoshipper.com/shop/misbeehavin_meads

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2020, 08:45:53 PM »

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2020, 11:56:31 PM »

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2020, 02:22:59 PM »
Once I polish off that spiced mead I mistakenly bought for $3.16, i'm probably done for the season. Cider on the other hand... I could go for some Basque stuff right about now.

Offline Westside Threat

• VIP and TBS Founding Member
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Barleywine
  • Carpe Cervisiam
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2020, 02:42:16 PM »
I've never had a good domestic mead
Should we take a cab home, Jesus?
Shit man, we can hoof it from here.
I know you can walk on water...
But can you walk on this much beer?

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2020, 12:09:55 AM »
I'm curious what you have tried. Have you had a decent variety?

There is a lot of low abv alco-pop mead available nowadays. But I am generally pleased with any traditional mead. I cannot stand dry meads, seems pointless.

Offline borrowedladder

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Old Ale
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2020, 12:49:20 AM »
I'm curious what you have tried. Have you had a decent variety?

There is a lot of low abv alco-pop mead available nowadays. But I am generally pleased with any traditional mead. I cannot stand dry meads, seems pointless.

Why?  In the end everything we drink is fermented sugar water.  Wort is grain sugar water.  Must is grape sugar water.  Cane juice is water and sugar.  Pressed apple is water and sugar.

I have had dry meads and they can be great.  It is just that it seems most of the talented "fermenters" do not gravitate towards it here. But really this is a sample size issue.  I have had more varieties of beer at any given fest than all the meads I have ever tried.

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2020, 04:17:35 AM »
I find that sweetness in mead provides a richness character. When I drank dry mead it feels bland and flabby. I’m open to trying more. Any recs on a dry mead you enjoyed?

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2020, 08:20:01 AM »
I think it also has to do with the ratio of honey to water. By far the richest and best imho are the Polish “poltorak” ones with 2:1 honey to water.

Domestically i’ve not had a ton, but they’re mostly disappointing to me too. Had a couple good ones from Wild Blossom, and one from Misbeehavin that was good, but also a couple terrible BA ones. Tried a few from Bos Meadery in Madison, nothing good. Schramms is excellent, but pricey. :$:

A highly regarded meadery here in IL (Pips) has some wacky waiting list club thing and a tasting room for a handful of people, open once a month, which you have to reserve a spot online. So not very accessible to say the least.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 08:24:21 AM by emerge »

Offline borrowedladder

• Old Ale
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2020, 11:39:51 AM »
I find that sweetness in mead provides a richness character. When I drank dry mead it feels bland and flabby. I’m open to trying more. Any recs on a dry mead you enjoyed?

I would love to recommend one but I don't drink much mead.  Mostly at fests and they were never completely dry.  Probably less than thirty total.  Wild Blossom has some good ones and I believe they advertise whether it is dry, semi or sweet.  I have had some from other meaderies that advertised as dry that were still pretty sweet.

My favorite is the same as emerge - Jadwiga which is sweet and rich and a bit funky.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2020, 04:49:04 PM »
Here’s another one in NY that ships:
https://vinoshipper.com/shop/beacon_meadery?list=

Offline Westside Threat

• Barleywine
  • Carpe Cervisiam
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2020, 11:00:51 PM »
I’m no expert in mead (although i made a lot in college back when honey was cheap) but I’ve tried a fair share of meads along the way.  Everything for me is too sweet an unbalanced.

I like the Polish meads though.  Anything domestic along those lines?

Offline borrowedladder

• Old Ale
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2020, 01:43:44 PM »
I’m no expert in mead (although i made a lot in college back when honey was cheap) but I’ve tried a fair share of meads along the way.  Everything for me is too sweet an unbalanced.

I like the Polish meads though.  Anything domestic along those lines?

Some Polish meads will list the grams per liter of sugar.  The only meadery I actually have bought bottles from in the US is Wild Blossom.  Everything was good but this was over a decade ago and nothing was truly dry.  Funnily I think all the Polish ones I have had were just as sweet as the American ones just a lot better.

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2020, 10:57:12 AM »
My experience is the same. By far the good Polish meads are head and shoulders above American versions. Though there are poor Polish meads. Americans do make more diverse and experimental stuff.

Offline stoney

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Double IPA
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2020, 05:53:56 PM »
I'm somewhat moderately / significantly surprised that none of the Minnesota boys have piled on with "J. Bird Meadery".

TBS Stu gifted me with a growler of mead that I was actually sort of dreading until I popped it open.

It was just absolutely superb. I sucked down the entire growler with no problem or regret what-so-ever.

Subsequently, I tried a bunch of the commercially available meads and they were no where NEAR as good as J. Birds.

I contacted J. Bird and they indicated they could not ship to Wisconsin. Maybe trade with one of your MN TBS brethren?

https://jbirdwines.com/

Fucking EXCELLENT.
Poor unfortunate elderly isolated beer god.

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2020, 09:04:58 PM »
Never heard of that meadery.

Superstition seems to be the most beer geek popular. Sap House is one I’ve heard a bit about. Moonlight seems to be the most common craft meadery.

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2020, 09:23:27 PM »
Pulled the trigger. Found a meadery I never heard of in MO (7Cs Winery). Got two different pepper meads (jalapeno and Carolina Reaper) and two traditonal meads from different honeys.

Offline Stu

• IPA
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2020, 09:55:01 AM »
I'm somewhat moderately / significantly surprised that none of the Minnesota boys have piled on with "J. Bird Meadery".

TBS Stu gifted me with a growler of mead that I was actually sort of dreading until I popped it open.

It was just absolutely superb. I sucked down the entire growler with no problem or regret what-so-ever.

Subsequently, I tried a bunch of the commercially available meads and they were no where NEAR as good as J. Birds.

I contacted J. Bird and they indicated they could not ship to Wisconsin. Maybe trade with one of your MN TBS brethren?

Fucking EXCELLENT.

Yes, yes I did send you a growler of J Bird.

Their meads are highly drinkable. Although they only sell meads that are around 6-8% and not the high octane meads most are familiar with. They also supply all meads to the MN Renaissance Fest.

Here is what I buy when I want a commercial mead - https://www.hiddenlegendwinery.com/our-meads/  They also may sell to your state. Check the webiste on locals.

My favorite is the Cherry and Dark. Absolutely stellar.

Stoney, if I recall, they (JBird) may be open in May for pick up.  I'll pick some up for you only if you trade me something GOOD.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 10:00:52 AM by Stu »
A good plan violently executed today is better than a perfect plan next week.

Strong like bull, smart like tractor.

Offline stoney

• Double IPA
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2020, 10:01:17 AM »

Fucking EXCELLENT.

Yes, yes I did send you a growler of J Bird.

Their meads are highly drinkable. Although they only sell meads that are around 6-8% and not the high octane meads most are familiar with. They also supply all meads to the MN Renaissance Fest.

Here is what I buy when I want a commercial mead - https://www.hiddenlegendwinery.com/our-meads/  They also may sell to your state. Check the webiste on locals.

My favorite is the Cherry and Dark. Absolutely stellar.

Stoney, if I recall, they may be open in May for pick up.  I'll pick some up for you only if you trade me something GOOD.

Let's see.......I can trade you a twelve-pack of Michelob Amber Bock.

I don't have shit for GOOD beer up here, just "survival level" beer.

And I didn't know about the ABV of J. Bird Mead and I didn't (and don't) really care.

I thought it was "delicious".
Poor unfortunate elderly isolated beer god.

Offline Westside Threat

• Barleywine
  • Carpe Cervisiam
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2020, 02:52:31 PM »
any reccs for a good California meadery?

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2020, 10:59:39 AM »
any reccs for a good California meadery?
I have never had them but Lost Cause looks good. However, it is pricey.

Offline borrowedladder

• Old Ale
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2020, 08:59:26 PM »
I bought a Scramm's Blackberry mead.  Crazy expensive!  It is very good but not particularly complex.  Also, it has a strong opening note of vitamin tablet when opened.

I would like to try a just water and honey mead but every mead I looked at had fruit or spice.  For the price I would rather get an Amarone or a 20 year Tawny port.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 09:40:23 PM by borrowedladder »

Offline Westside Threat

• Barleywine
  • Carpe Cervisiam
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2020, 11:01:17 AM »
Doesnt help that honey went and got super expensive.  It used to be so damn cheap, I could buy gallons of it on a college budget

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2020, 09:46:38 AM »
I am bad at posting pics but I did a tasting last week of 8 meads. Fun stuff.

7Cs from MO made traditional meads that showcased the different types of honey well. Their two pepper beers didn't emphasize the peppers well enough. Melovino out of NJ made the big fruity and adjunct-rich meads, which are very fun (but pricier).

The only dud was from Garden Path. They make fancy low abv meads. They sell in 750s for $20. I do not enjoy low abv meads, its just alco-pop to me. Fortunately, I was able to pick their Dry Table on discount. Well, it was as uninteresting as I thought. It was so watered down, you may not even guess its a mead.

I think I have scratched my mead itch for a bit. Will likely get the itch again in a year or two.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2020, 07:37:40 PM »
Garden Path just showed up here, i’d like to try the beers but a low abv mead has zero appeal.

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2020, 01:47:10 AM »
Had a fun dandelion mead out of Brooklyn today.
https://www.enlightenmentwines.com/#!/2019-Memento-Mori-Dandelion-Wine/p/189562181/category=48560631

The bitterness of the dandelions balanced the sweetness of the mead.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2020, 09:17:59 AM »
Had a fun dandelion mead out of Brooklyn today.
https://www.enlightenmentwines.com/#!/2019-Memento-Mori-Dandelion-Wine/p/189562181/category=48560631

The bitterness of the dandelions balanced the sweetness of the mead.

One of the better homebrewed meads I remember having was a dandelion mead, at a brewpub somewhere in NW Indiana. The brewer's dad made it or something. 

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2020, 11:41:50 AM »
Had an 18.6% braggot yesterday.
https://untappd.akamaized.net/photos/2020_09_06/2b85447d8bd5b51d9eef7e1d5f453bf1_640x640.jpg

Smelled a little weird but taste was spot on. So few big braggots are made by breweries. Usually there are much small or the meaderies make them.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2020, 03:26:29 PM »
Welp, a meadery opened on my side of town and I didn't even know. Last I heard was "opening soon" back in 2018, but I guess they're distributing locally now. Pricey stuff.

https://vinoshipper.com/shop/second_city_meadery

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2020, 04:26:15 PM »
Welp, a meadery opened on my side of town and I didn't even know. Last I heard was "opening soon" back in 2018, but I guess they're distributing locally now. Pricey stuff.

https://vinoshipper.com/shop/second_city_meadery
Yeah, fad meads. They didn't even have a traditional mead for sale.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2020, 11:38:32 PM »
Tried a couple recently that weren’t mine, from Wild Blossom in Chicago. Hibiscus one tasted harsh and medicinal with a weird artificial berry flavor. It brought back flashbacks of grape Dimetapp. The other one was “forest berry” or something and wasn’t too bad.

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2020, 08:33:42 PM »
Tried a couple recently that weren’t mine, from Wild Blossom in Chicago. Hibiscus one tasted harsh and medicinal with a weird artificial berry flavor. It brought back flashbacks of grape Dimetapp. The other one was “forest berry” or something and wasn’t too bad.
I want my meaderies to make a traditional mead first and foremost. If that can't pass my bar, everything else is a waste of time.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2020, 10:22:23 PM »
I want my meaderies to make a traditional mead first and foremost. If that can't pass my bar, everything else is a waste of time.
Yeah, that’s fair. A lot of adjuncted-up crap out there, same as in craft beer. I really don’t have the interest in it anymore, but always open to trying new local stuff.

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2021, 09:50:19 PM »
Did another small mead tasting with friends. Got some local stuff from Charm City Meadery and was surprised by White Peach Mead
https://charmcitymeadworks.com/white-peach-still

Also had a single malt whiskey BA mead from Brimming Horn Meadery in Delaware.  Interesting but the peat and sweet honey did not go so well together, for me. 
« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 09:55:16 PM by beastiefan2k »

Offline Westside Threat

• Barleywine
  • Carpe Cervisiam
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2021, 05:15:36 PM »
Mead works  cyser.  Not bad

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2021, 10:30:18 AM »
Mead works  cyser.  Not bad
Charm City Meadworks?

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2021, 10:34:19 AM »
There's supposedly a local meadery opening up by me, but it's still radio silence. They distribute 375mL bottles for like $30 with candy/dessert flavors, I don't have high hopes. Walked by the storefront a couple months ago, just looked like people were partying there and never cleaned up, lol. Not the best look.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2021, 10:37:16 AM by emerge »

Offline Westside Threat

• Barleywine
  • Carpe Cervisiam
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2021, 01:44:12 PM »

Offline beastiefan2k

• Double IPA
« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2021, 06:35:59 PM »
They distribute 375mL bottles for like $30 with candy/dessert flavors,
Hard pass.  I am having a hard time even getting to the $20 for a 375mL bottle of mead that sounds good to me. I picked up an $18 375mL of this today:

Hoping to do a small mead tasting with a friend this month.