search

Author Topic: What's up with FoBAB?  (Read 100 times)

Offline unclejedi

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Quadrupel
What's up with FoBAB?
« on: August 14, 2019, 11:45:19 AM »
So I was reminded while reading about this year's BCBS lineup that FoBAB is a thing.  It's actually one of the first beer festivals I think I ever read about way back even before I got on BA.  I've always been doing Oregon or something else in the past, this year it looks like its earlier in November which would work better for me I think.  Searched and there's been very little discussion here over it for a year or two.  Is it still worthy?
non-conformists are all the same...

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
    • Research page @ Lambic.info
Re: What's up with FoBAB?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2019, 12:19:46 PM »
I'd say it's more worthy now than ever. There are 3 sessions now, spread over Friday & Saturday (2). I haven't been in the last couple years, but spoke with one of the organizers last weekend, and i'm thinking of going again too.

If you've never been, it's grown exponentially and is now held in a large exhibition hall (UIC Forum). There are several hundred beers, it's a competition, so brewers bring their A game. Entries are limited to 2 per brewery, I think. There's plenty of sour stuff, a few ciders and meads, and a fair amount of experimental stuff. At least 60% are BA stouts.
Would be great to see y'all in Chicago! :cheers:

Offline Murphadam

• Trade Count: (0)
  • IPA
  • You're Awesome
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2019, 12:54:37 PM »
I'd say it's more worthy now than ever. There are 3 sessions now, spread over Friday & Saturday (2). I haven't been in the last couple years, but spoke with one of the organizers last weekend, and i'm thinking of going again too.

If you've never been, it's grown exponentially and is now held in a large exhibition hall (UIC Forum). There are several hundred beers, it's a competition, so brewers bring their A game. Entries are limited to 2 per brewery, I think. There's plenty of sour stuff, a few ciders and meads, and a fair amount of experimental stuff. At least 60% are BA stouts.

Maybe (definitely) I'm just old and crabby :bakes: but the cost and logistics of FOBAB no longer outweigh the benefit of the crazy rare beer for us.  We used to go every year since back in the Rock Bottom/Goose Wrigley days, but we've only gone once or twice at UIC and the lines to get in, coat check, crowds in the aisles, etc have become too much.  Plus it's around $90.  I think some sessions are definitely better than the others - The Saturday Night one I think is the best for crowds and beer running out? 

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2019, 02:56:14 PM »

Maybe (definitely) I'm just old and crabby :bakes: but the cost and logistics of FOBAB no longer outweigh the benefit of the crazy rare beer for us.  We used to go every year since back in the Rock Bottom/Goose Wrigley days, but we've only gone once or twice at UIC and the lines to get in, coat check, crowds in the aisles, etc have become too much.  Plus it's around $90.  I think some sessions are definitely better than the others - The Saturday Night one I think is the best for crowds and beer running out?
This is all true, i'd forgotten about the long lines to get in. It generally stretches around the block too. I've heard they improved the layout to eliminate bottlenecks like they had earlier at UIC. The last time, I made the mistake of thinking I needed an extra glass, so I bought one they gave to brewers, and got full pours with it. That's all I remember. :mellow:

Offline borrowedladder

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Double IPA
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2019, 04:32:52 PM »

Yeah, waiting sucks and I try not to do it anymore.  A local event sold out here and it was crowded and a lot of things ran out early.  When something becomes popular it usually sucks.

Yogi Berra was right: That place is so crowded nobody goes there anymore.

The wine events I have been to have been very nice however.

Offline flyingbison

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2019, 05:01:36 PM »

Yeah, waiting sucks and I try not to do it anymore.  A local event sold out here and it was crowded and a lot of things ran out early.  When something becomes popular it usually sucks.

Yogi Berra was right: That place is so crowded nobody goes there anymore.

People destroy everything good.  Hopefully we will all be extinct soon.

Offline thewimperoo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Ale
  • Commit to the Indian
    • TBS Blog
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2019, 06:05:17 PM »
I haven't been since 2016 because it just ended up being too crowded and full of fart clouds.   :bakes:
Dan

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2019, 11:33:26 AM »
I'd say it's more worthy now than ever.
To clarify, worthy in the sense that there's more beer than ever before. For us cheap bastards, the price hike and crowds have deterred from attending last couple years. The ticket more than doubled ($40 to $85) and I haven't been back since.

Offline unclejedi

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2019, 12:07:12 AM »
Well, I pulled the trigger, we'll be at the Friday night session.
Yeah ticket price was kinda high... then I started looking for a hotel... JESUS, fest ticket is only a drop in the bucket.

Anyway, we fly in Tuesday night, probably head up to Wisconsin Wednesday & Thursday, Back to the city Friday for the event and we'll probably explore a little Saturday.  Would love to meetup with anyone available either Friday afternoon or Saturday.  Probably head south and east Sunday, might even make it to Grand Rapids.
non-conformists are all the same...