Beer Travel and Events > Central & Midwest

Recs in Chicago

(1/3) > >>

beastiefan2k:
I moved out of Chicago in 2014. No way i could keep up with the beer scene. Anything particularly worthwhile I should try to get to that’s new in the past 5 years. Will be there this weekend.

emerge:
Dovetail, Off Color, Maplewood, Saint Errant and Hop Butcher cans. Are you looking to hit a few new breweries or pick up beer to bring home?

Are you from KC? I was just there last weekend, ironically. Went to Waldo Pizza, Strange Days, and Q39. Sadly didn’t have time for beer shopping.

Edit: also Beer Temple and Green Lady usually have a solid taplist.

beastiefan2k:
I live in Baltimore now but lived in KC till 2013 and in Chicago till 2014. Not looking to bring beer back but to visit breweries and places that are worthwhile and have opened in the past 5 years.

Is Saint Errant a place I can visit? Can’t find much on the internet.

I’m put off by Hop Butcher’s website cause their fun names tell me nothing about the beer style. Why isn’t Smoke Filled Room a smoked beer of some sort?

Thanks for the recs

emerge:

--- Quote from: beastiefan2k on August 07, 2019, 02:27:27 PM ---I live in Baltimore now but lived in KC till 2013 and in Chicago till 2014. Not looking to bring beer back but to visit breweries and places that are worthwhile and have opened in the past 5 years.

Is Saint Errant a place I can visit? Can’t find much on the internet.

I’m put off by Hop Butcher’s website cause their fun names tell me nothing about the beer style. Why isn’t Smoke Filled Room a smoked beer of some sort?

Thanks for the recs

--- End quote ---
Sure no problem, always happy to! :cheers:

Saint Errant and Hop Butcher are only in cans at the moment, no taprooms. You might find them on tap at Beer Temple or Green Lady though.

Dovetail has become my go-to, they do Euro-style lagers better than anyone locally and have a pretty robust spontaneous/barrel program as well. They're right by Begyle (skippable) & Half Acre too. Northman is a cider bar nearby, south on Lincoln Ave.

Off Color opened their Mousetrap taproom a few years ago, lots of wild stuff and some cocktails also.
Maplewood is similar, they're also a distillery but make some of the best hazy stuff and huge stouts, though they also nailed a Czech dark lager recently.

Other newer breweries of note: Middle Brow, Old Irving, Cruz Blanca, Twisted Hippo. Eris does some ciders.

emerge:
Update? How was the trip? :popcorn:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version