search

Author Topic: ***Official*** Indiana Thread  (Read 3392 times)

Offline flyingbison

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
Re: ***Official*** Indiana Thread
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2021, 09:13:23 AM »
Just wanted to pop in to plug a new Fort Wayne spot that 4 friends of mine are opening: Fortlandia, opening August 9th.

Nano-scale - 1 bbl batches and a 29-seat taproom, but all rock-solid homebrewers.  If you find yourself passing near the Fort for whatever reason, hit me up (which I'd hope you'd do with or without this new place).

Bumping this for a bit of cool personal news.  They held an informal competition for our homebrew club last fall, and my neighbor and I brewed up my old rauchbier recipe.  Won the competition and we brewed a batch onsite in December that went on tap in January.

It was a huge hit, and they contacted me for permission to keep it in their rotation.  I haven't seen it back on since (although they're suffering with the COVID-19 restrictions like everyone) but I'm keeping an eye out.

Very cool Mike!  Loves me some rauchbiers - what sort of malt profile?
It's about 85% smoked malt (Bamberg beechwood-smoke, similar to Schlenkerla), and then pilsner malt and a bit of cara for the rest.

Heard from them last week that there's a batch in the fermenter now that should be on tap in a few weeks. Not sure of the packaging options but they've been putting some beers in 750s recently for carry-out.

So, this beer turns out to be a pretty popular one in their lineup.  Was just texting one of the owners and he said there's another batch on the way, and that when they add a canning line (planned but delayed due to, well, 2020) they want to can it.

:excited: ISO

Offline bakes

• VIP and TBS Founding Member
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Barleywine
  • Alcospeakerholic
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2021, 05:08:01 PM »
Just wanted to pop in to plug a new Fort Wayne spot that 4 friends of mine are opening: Fortlandia, opening August 9th.

Nano-scale - 1 bbl batches and a 29-seat taproom, but all rock-solid homebrewers.  If you find yourself passing near the Fort for whatever reason, hit me up (which I'd hope you'd do with or without this new place).

Bumping this for a bit of cool personal news.  They held an informal competition for our homebrew club last fall, and my neighbor and I brewed up my old rauchbier recipe.  Won the competition and we brewed a batch onsite in December that went on tap in January.

It was a huge hit, and they contacted me for permission to keep it in their rotation.  I haven't seen it back on since (although they're suffering with the COVID-19 restrictions like everyone) but I'm keeping an eye out.

It's about 85% smoked malt (Bamberg beechwood-smoke, similar to Schlenkerla), and then pilsner malt and a bit of cara for the rest.

Heard from them last week that there's a batch in the fermenter now that should be on tap in a few weeks. Not sure of the packaging options but they've been putting some beers in 750s recently for carry-out.

So, this beer turns out to be a pretty popular one in their lineup.  Was just texting one of the owners and he said there's another batch on the way, and that when they add a canning line (planned but delayed due to, well, 2020) they want to can it.

AND - he says he wants my picture on the label, preferably in a smoking jacket with a pipe.  :lol: Wonder if I can find the one Snoop wears in the Coronoa ads.

Super cool!  See if he can work a charcuterie spread into the label.  :thumbup:
My friends say I'm like doing the laundry and forgetting the bleach: I'm not as bright as I could be.

Gator to Pols: I bet you wish the last wedding you went to was the one right before yours....

Offline heckmanm

• TBS Founding Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2021, 03:02:18 PM »

AND - he says he wants my picture on the label, preferably in a smoking jacket with a pipe.  :lol: Wonder if I can find the one Snoop wears in the Coronoa ads.

Super cool!  See if he can work a charcuterie spread into the label.  :thumbup:

*making notes*
Sausage pic - check

Whenever this happens, rest assured I'll get hold of some and share with TBS, either at a future Great Taste or by other means.
Give a man a beer, and he'll waste an hour

Teach him to brew, and he'll waste a lifetime

Online emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
    • Research page @ Lambic.info
« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2021, 11:05:49 AM »
HeckmanM> Ding moved to Ft. Wayne :scared:

You know, I was always the guy that listened to his side, and thought people were picking on him.

Even here, I generally *agree* with him, but the tone is kinda twattish. In his mind, he's merely a misunderstood no-nonsense purist, and it is the children who are wrong. But now I get it.

WATCH OUT FOR ME, I MIGHT TRASH YOUR BREWERY ON THE INTERNET IF YOU DON'T FIRST EARN MY RESPECT. :lol::bird:

Offline flyingbison

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #54 on: June 10, 2021, 11:07:26 AM »

You know, I was always the guy that listened to his side, and thought people were picking on him.

Even here, I generally *agree* with him, but the tone is kinda twattish. In his mind, he's merely a misunderstood no-nonsense purist, and it is the children who are wrong. But now I get it.

WATCH OUT FOR ME, I MIGHT TRASH YOUR BREWERY ON THE INTERNET IF YOU DON'T FIRST EARN MY RESPECT. :lol::bird:

link?

Offline stoney

• Double IPA
« Reply #55 on: June 10, 2021, 11:19:48 AM »

It doesn't really help that Ding seems to have no sense of humor what so ever.
Poor unfortunate elderly isolated beer god.

Online emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #56 on: June 10, 2021, 11:20:47 AM »

link?

Same URL as before, dings beer blog .com
Eh, I don't really want him coming back here to see what all the fuss is about. :shrug:

Offline flyingbison

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #57 on: June 10, 2021, 11:31:23 AM »

Eh, I don't really want him coming back here to see what all the fuss is about. :shrug:

Never even knew that was a thing. 

Online emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #58 on: June 10, 2021, 11:43:31 AM »

URL trackbacks? A site admin can see all the site traffic and where the referrals come from. I think it happened here awhile back when I posted a blog from GBH or somewhere, and they popped on here to defend it for a day.

Offline flyingbison

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #59 on: June 10, 2021, 11:45:45 AM »

URL trackbacks? A site admin can see all the site traffic and where the referrals come from. I think it happened here awhile back when I posted a blog from GBH or somewhere, and they popped on here to defend it for a day.

I meant that Ding had a blog.

Online emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #60 on: June 10, 2021, 12:01:53 PM »

Oh, yeah I think it was around the time he got 86'd from BA, and test drove all the other beer sites. TBS was full of "emojis and nonsense", was his astute blog observation. :shrug:

Offline smellysell

• Old Ale
« Reply #61 on: June 10, 2021, 12:06:12 PM »

Oh, yeah I think it was around the time he got 86'd from BA, and test drove all the other beer sites. TBS was full of "emojis and nonsense", was his astute blog observation. :shrug:

Fairly accurate

Javit› Nothing kills a boner like Jesus

braconid› I could have fucked her, but she was pure so I just went with the oral

Offline stoney

• Double IPA
« Reply #62 on: June 10, 2021, 12:17:20 PM »

Fairly accurate

:bird:  :bye:
Poor unfortunate elderly isolated beer god.

Offline smellysell

• Old Ale
« Reply #63 on: June 10, 2021, 12:38:54 PM »

Fairly accurate

:bird:  :bye:

:giggity:

Javit› Nothing kills a boner like Jesus

braconid› I could have fucked her, but she was pure so I just went with the oral

Online emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #64 on: June 10, 2021, 01:55:44 PM »
  :dude: :ale: :hack: :sex:  :smokin: :deadbanana: :tombstone:

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Barleywine
  • If I've offended you, it made me happy.
« Reply #65 on: June 10, 2021, 01:59:57 PM »
Thebeerspot.com – potential, but the forums are an annoying combo of more serious beer talk and unmoderated nonsense. The addition of gifs. pictures and emoticons make it worse that ratebeer to look at sometimes!

Unmoderated nonsense is my favorite part of this place :shrug:

Online emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #66 on: June 10, 2021, 02:04:21 PM »
Thebeerspot.com – potential, but the forums are an annoying combo of more serious beer talk and unmoderated nonsense. The addition of gifs. pictures and emoticons make it worse that ratebeer to look at sometimes!

Unmoderated nonsense is my favorite part of this place :shrug:
Exactly. There are serious threads/posts and unserious ones. The circle of life.

It's much less of a free for all than some places online. :unsure:

Offline heckmanm

• TBS Founding Member
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #67 on: June 11, 2021, 12:00:52 PM »
TBH I have no prior experience with Ding, other than seeing him mentioned here. I never spent much time on BA or RateBeer or any other beer-geek site besides TBS.

I get the impression he's a "Don't You Know Who I Am" type of guy?

Offline heckmanm

• TBS Founding Member
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #68 on: June 11, 2021, 12:51:21 PM »
OK, read through his "I'm back" post and the first Indiana entry. I can see where the attitude could put people off. Then again, he sounds a lot like some of us the OMYAB thread  :lol: I may not be quite as much of a purist as he is, but I also have minimal interest in kettle sours, hazy IPAs or pastry stouts - or pastry *anything* for that matter - beyond maybe a "festival pour".

Maybe it's more the tone than the sentiment. I'm not really interested in going back into his history across other sites.

By the way, 2Toms (subject of his most recent post) recently had a gorgeous Czech Pilsner on tap, and Tom had gone to the trouble of getting a side-pull faucet and serving it with three different pours (as in this clip).  Ding missed out if he didn't get it.

Online emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #69 on: June 11, 2021, 02:56:30 PM »
OK, read through his "I'm back" post and the first Indiana entry. I can see where the attitude could put people off. Then again, he sounds a lot like some of us the OMYAB thread  :lol: I may not be quite as much of a purist as he is, but I also have minimal interest in kettle sours, hazy IPAs or pastry stouts - or pastry *anything* for that matter - beyond maybe a "festival pour".

Maybe it's more the tone than the sentiment. I'm not really interested in going back into his history across other sites.

By the way, 2Toms (subject of his most recent post) recently had a gorgeous Czech Pilsner on tap, and Tom had gone to the trouble of getting a side-pull faucet and serving it with three different pours (as in this clip).  Ding missed out if he didn't get it.

If you're going to interview a brewery owner, maybe it's not the best to start with "i'm probably going to hate your beers". :lol:

I agree about the tone, it comes off dismissive and shortsighted to some degree. Would have been nice to hear about that Czech Pils from the brewer though. I know i'm a hardened cynic, but i'm also not trying to pass off my jaded opinions as beer journalism either. :mellow:

Also, I find it odd that it was a "conversation" with the brewer, yet there was no straightforward Q&A.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 02:59:10 PM by emerge »

Offline unclejedi

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #70 on: June 12, 2021, 01:50:14 AM »

If you're going to interview a brewery owner, maybe it's not the best to start with "i'm probably going to hate your beers". :lol:

I agree about the tone, it comes off dismissive and shortsighted to some degree. Would have been nice to hear about that Czech Pils from the brewer though. I know i'm a hardened cynic, but i'm also not trying to pass off my jaded opinions as beer journalism either. :mellow:

Also, I find it odd that it was a "conversation" with the brewer, yet there was no straightforward Q&A.
Having met him in meat space, I can say he's like a completely different person from his persona on the internet... just too bad thats what most people experience.
non-conformists are all the same...

Online emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #71 on: June 13, 2021, 11:01:56 AM »

Having met him in meat space, I can say he's like a completely different person from his persona on the internet... just too bad thats what most people experience.

Yeah, I remember having a totally normal conversation during his brief stint on TBS.

Offline urbanhack

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • no manches
« Reply #72 on: June 15, 2021, 11:54:01 AM »
Currently in Indiana (warsaw).  Are there any beers I should try and snag while I'm here?
i'm not good at putting this stuff in words but i can't see myself with anyone else except maybe urbanhack.

Online emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #73 on: June 15, 2021, 12:47:54 PM »
Currently in Indiana (warsaw).  Are there any beers I should try and snag while I'm here?

Does Taxman distribute locally? They had some good stuff at the Taste a couple years ago.

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Barleywine
« Reply #74 on: June 15, 2021, 01:00:26 PM »

Does Taxman distribute locally? They had some good stuff at the Taste a couple years ago.

Taxman is ubiquitous around Indy, even at the grocery/Target.

Online emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #75 on: June 15, 2021, 02:02:01 PM »

Taxman is ubiquitous around Indy, even at the grocery/Target.
:thumbup:
I'll qualify my statement... i've only had their BA stuff at the Taste.

Offline heckmanm

• TBS Founding Member
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #76 on: June 15, 2021, 08:49:26 PM »
Not really sure who distributes where out of the Fort Wayne breweries. I'm sure Mad Anthony has some stuff there. Most of the other locals are pretty small and only a couple of them have beers in liquor stores.

If you see anything from Hop River it's worth grabbing - especially Maestro Vienna Lager :swoon:

Offline urbanhack

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • no manches
« Reply #77 on: June 16, 2021, 10:19:50 AM »
Gracias fellas.
i'm not good at putting this stuff in words but i can't see myself with anyone else except maybe urbanhack.

Online emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #78 on: January 20, 2022, 03:54:14 PM »
Heckmanm> Have you ever been to Father John's in Bryan, OH? It's NE of Fort Wayne on the way to Toledo.

Just learned of this brewery in the basement of a church that also has rooms for rent. Has to be the only one of those, right? It also has a "crypt room". :unsure:

spooky :tombstone:

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Barleywine
« Reply #79 on: January 20, 2022, 04:03:28 PM »
Definitely not the only church brewery https://www.saintjoseph.beer/

Online emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #80 on: January 20, 2022, 05:02:55 PM »
Definitely not the only church brewery https://www.saintjoseph.beer/

Interesting history of the place, this one in OH is still an active church though, afaik. That was the odd part, maybe not so odd considering the trappist breweries I guess, but a public church and brewery is rare it seems.

Offline heckmanm

• TBS Founding Member
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #81 on: January 20, 2022, 06:18:34 PM »
Heckmanm> Have you ever been to Father John's in Bryan, OH? It's NE of Fort Wayne on the way to Toledo.

Just learned of this brewery in the basement of a church that also has rooms for rent. Has to be the only one of those, right? It also has a "crypt room". :unsure:

I haven't but I've heard of it. Need to get over there.  Looks like it's a litle over an hour from home.

There's also a place in Hicksville (actually actually the name of the town) that gets good reviews - Two Bandits

Offline bakes

• Barleywine
  • Alcospeakerholic
« Reply #82 on: January 26, 2022, 06:41:01 PM »

Reminds me a bit of [url-https://bubesbrewery.com/]Bube's Brewery[/url], except more holy.
My friends say I'm like doing the laundry and forgetting the bleach: I'm not as bright as I could be.

Gator to Pols: I bet you wish the last wedding you went to was the one right before yours....

Online emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #83 on: January 27, 2022, 07:09:52 AM »
Catacombs! Very cool :thumbup:

Online emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #84 on: February 07, 2022, 04:31:55 PM »
Heard that Rad Brewing (Flat 12) closed down in Nov.

Always loved their regular & Cucumber Kölsch. RIP