search

Author Topic: ***Official*** Indiana Thread  (Read 292 times)

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
    • Research page @ Lambic.info
***Official*** Indiana Thread
« on: June 13, 2019, 12:13:43 PM »

What, no Indiana thread? :blink:
C'mon ya hoosiers.

Zutroy is headed to Indy and asked for some local recs. I said Koelschip/Goose The Market, and Black Acre, Deviate, and Daredevil.
Any good beer/lunch spots to recommend? TIA

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Barleywine
  • If I've offended you, it made me happy.
Re: ***Official*** Indiana Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 12:25:50 PM »
Brugge is still good.  We have a Hop Cat, but so does everyone else, not that great really :shrug:  Turchetti's for meats.  Downtown Crown Liquors and Kahn's for bottles.  Vine and Table for liquor.  Lots of good food around.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2019, 12:29:28 PM »
Brugge is still good.  We have a Hop Cat, but so does everyone else, not that great really :shrug:  Turchetti's for meats.  Downtown Crown Liquors and Kahn's for bottles.  Vine and Table for liquor.  Lots of good food around.

Cool, thanks! I'll pass those along. :thumbup: :cheers: Turchetti's
Goose the Market carries all the Smoking Goose stuff I take it?

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Barleywine
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2019, 10:02:55 PM »

Yeah, and they have their production facility right across the street from Flat 12

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2019, 10:42:31 PM »

Yeah, and they have their production facility right across the street from Flat 12
Whoops, meant to say Turchetti's looks great.
Cool, I knew they were by Flat 12, but didn't look open to the public. Man, now i'm jonesing for that Flat 12 cucumber Kölsch.

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Barleywine
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2019, 06:31:38 AM »

Whoops, meant to say Turchetti's looks great.
Cool, I knew they were by Flat 12, but didn't look open to the public. Man, now i'm jonesing for that Flat 12 cucumber Kölsch.

I always dug the vibe at Flat 12.  Another stop close by would be Indiana City, they have one of my favorite taprooms.

Offline heckmanm

• TBS Founding Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2019, 06:05:22 AM »
Daredevil does great German styles.  Taproom a few blocks from the speedway and also a German beer hall up in the Castleton area (I think; haven't been to that one yet).  I hear their IPA is also pretty good.
Give a man a beer, and he'll waste an hour

Teach him to brew, and he'll waste a lifetime

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Barleywine
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2019, 06:24:36 AM »
Daredevil does great German styles.  Taproom a few blocks from the speedway and also a German beer hall up in the Castleton area (I think; haven't been to that one yet).  I hear their IPA is also pretty good.

Their IPA is pretty ubiquitous.  New spot is next to the Ironworks building, so just a little west of the fashion mall area.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2019, 10:20:34 AM »

:excited:
Liter House maybe? I looked at the map for Castleton, and it was all chains pretty much.
Still need to hit The Rathskeller, never been. :bag:

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Barleywine
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2019, 01:42:36 PM »

Liter House maybe? I looked at the map for Castleton, and it was all chains pretty much.

Rathskeller is an institution, definitely worth a trip, even if it's just for a meal and a liter.  Fat Dan's, right across the street bills itself as a Chicago food restaurant, but has one of the best burgers in the city.  St. Joseph's is in the area too, if you're into the church-turned-brewery thing.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2019, 03:09:55 PM »

Rathskeller is an institution, definitely worth a trip, even if it's just for a meal and a liter.  Fat Dan's, right across the street bills itself as a Chicago food restaurant, but has one of the best burgers in the city.  St. Joseph's is in the area too, if you're into the church-turned-brewery thing.
*takes notes* :thumbup:

Offline heckmanm

• TBS Founding Member
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2019, 08:35:13 PM »

Not the same as Liter House - that's a different brewery.  GB of mine was raving about it but I haven't been able to try it yet.

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Barleywine
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2019, 10:03:09 PM »

Not the same as Liter House - that's a different brewery.  GB of mine was raving about it but I haven't been able to try it yet.

Just got a recommendation today for Half Liter BBQ, will report back once I've tried it out.

Offline unclejedi

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2019, 01:50:47 AM »

We hit St Joseph's  when we were through there back in October... seem to recall the food was good, the beer was passable. Time before that we hit Metazoa brewing at night, really nice view of the lit up downtown buildings on their patio, and I thought the beer was pretty good as well.
non-conformists are all the same...

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2019, 01:38:37 PM »

We hit St Joseph's  when we were through there back in October... seem to recall the food was good, the beer was passable. Time before that we hit Metazoa brewing at night, really nice view of the lit up downtown buildings on their patio, and I thought the beer was pretty good as well.
Also good to know, those are new to me :cheers:

Offline heckmanm

• TBS Founding Member
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2019, 10:06:44 PM »
Just wanted to pop in to plug a new Fort Wayne spot that 4 friends of mine are opening: Fortlandia, opening August 9th.

Nano-scale - 1 bbl batches and a 29-seat taproom, but all rock-solid homebrewers.  If you find yourself passing near the Fort for whatever reason, hit me up (which I'd hope you'd do with or without this new place).

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2019, 11:01:03 PM »
Just wanted to pop in to plug a new Fort Wayne spot that 4 friends of mine are opening: Fortlandia, opening August 9th.

Nano-scale - 1 bbl batches and a 29-seat taproom, but all rock-solid homebrewers.  If you find yourself passing near the Fort for whatever reason, hit me up (which I'd hope you'd do with or without this new place).

Sounds awesome, and sounds like they will rotate a lot of taps at that size. Very cool concept :cheers:

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2019, 09:53:39 AM »
Any opinions on these breweries at GTMW? :popcorn:

Byway Brewing Co. | 506 | Hammond

Taxman Brewing Company | 917 | Bargersville

Can't say i've heard of either.

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2019, 09:54:22 AM »

Taxman makes good beer, or at least what I have had is good.

Offline thewimperoo

• Old Ale
  • Commit to the Indian
    • TBS Blog
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2019, 09:55:56 AM »
I've had solid beers from Taxman.

Dave and I went to Byway once like 5 years ago, and left after trying a couple of samples.  They were awful.  Maybe they've gotten better, who knows. 
Dan

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Barleywine
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2019, 09:56:23 AM »

I'd check out Taxman for sure.  They're pretty much omnipresent around Indy, specializing in Belgian styles.  They really took off right when I stopped drinking, so not sure if it's any good, but it's everywhere around town.  Even Target stocks several of their offerings, including sour stuff.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2019, 11:02:49 AM »

Dave and I went to Byway once like 5 years ago, and left after trying a couple of samples.  They were awful.  Maybe they've gotten better, who knows.

I'd check out Taxman for sure.  They're pretty much omnipresent around Indy, specializing in Belgian styles.  They really took off right when I stopped drinking, so not sure if it's any good, but it's everywhere around town.  Even Target stocks several of their offerings, including sour stuff.

Cool, thanks :cheers: Added Taxman to my list, looks like they have an Oud Bruin. :excited: Also, I just marked up the map and they are included in the 911-917 cluster way in the back by the front entrance. Several other solid breweries in there like Off Color and Listermann, also rookie Full Mile (Sun Prairie, WI).

Offline heckmanm

• TBS Founding Member
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2019, 05:32:51 PM »
I'd love to see Daredevil at the Taste some year.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2019, 05:39:41 PM »

I think Initiative mentioned a year or 2 ago that there's a long waiting list and lottery for new breweries to get in. Here's hoping.

Offline heckmanm

• TBS Founding Member
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2019, 08:44:05 PM »

I think Initiative mentioned a year or 2 ago that there's a long waiting list and lottery for new breweries to get in. Here's hoping.
yeah, I've heard that too.  NE Indiana (Fort Wayne & surrounding counties) now has about a dozen with a couple more opening in the next 6 months or so.  Mad Anthony is the only one that I know of to ever pour at the fest (and they've been there for 20 years).

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2019, 10:32:20 PM »

yeah, I've heard that too.  NE Indiana (Fort Wayne & surrounding counties) now has about a dozen with a couple more opening in the next 6 months or so.  Mad Anthony is the only one that I know of to ever pour at the fest (and they've been there for 20 years).
Right, I think everyone that’s in is grandfathered in until they opt out.

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2019, 07:17:22 AM »

We've been told that they plan to eventually start rotating almost everyone out.  Obviously we don't want to not be invited so we make sure to make an impression each year so we are invited back.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2019, 09:16:24 AM »

We've been told that they plan to eventually start rotating almost everyone out.  Obviously we don't want to not be invited so we make sure to make an impression each year so we are invited back.
:confused: seems like an odd approach, the breweries are what make the fest. Seems counterintuitive to boot the majority out, it would totally change the vibe.

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Barleywine
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2019, 09:20:05 AM »

:confused: seems like an odd approach, the breweries are what make the fest. Seems counterintuitive to boot the majority out, it would totally change the vibe.

Feels like there are some easy cuts to make, like a certain brewery that runs out of beer 5 minutes after the gates open every year.  Or the ones that have a small swamp in front of their booth from everyone dumping their shit on the ground.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2019, 09:51:27 AM »

Feels like there are some easy cuts to make, like a certain brewery that runs out of beer 5 minutes after the gates open every year. Or the ones that have a small swamp in front of their booth from everyone dumping their shit on the ground.
Good points. There is a fair amount of dead weight I agree, but everybody shouldn't get booted as a result.
Note to self: watch out for beer swamps :unsure: :gator:

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2019, 11:29:49 AM »

Managed to hit Taxman for a couple, really liked Balance of Sour. Not many breweries attempt Oud Bruins, and this one was unique with some sour fruit and oak notes. Gin Barrel CiTRUST was too floral for me, but I think others (Sev) liked it.

Central State was very good, enjoyed the smoked sea salt gose and their dry-hopped wild ale was even better. Kind of surprised as i'd sworn off buying their cans after too many expensive duds.

New Oberfaltz had some of the better lagers of the fest. Helles was a repeat for me.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2019, 11:08:45 AM »
Anyone ever heard of Great Crescent Brewery? It's in Aurora, IN near Cincinnati. Supposedly they make an awesome dark lager.

This beer is based on the very first comercially brewed beer in the state of Indiana.

The name of the brewer was George Bentel. His house is still standing in New Harmony. The Harmonist brewer and cooper, George Bentel, was born November 3, 1781 in Iptingen, the same village in the Swabian kingdom of Württemberg where George Rapp was born. Bentel lived at the northeast corner of Brewery and Grainery streets, where his house remains today, as upright as when Indiana's first brewer marched out to make his beer almost two centuries ago.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 12:01:07 PM by emerge »

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Barleywine
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2019, 11:14:19 AM »
Anyone ever heard of Great Crescent Brewery? It's in Aurora, IN near Cincinatti. Supposedly they make an awesome dark lager.

This beer is based on the very first comercially brewed beer in the state of Indiana.

The name of the brewer was George Bentel. His house is still standing in New Harmony. The Harmonist brewer and cooper, George Bentel, was born November 3, 1781 in Iptingen, the same village in the Swabian kingdom of Württemberg where George Rapp was born. Bentel lived at the northeast corner of Brewery and Grainery streets, where his house remains today, as upright as when Indiana's first brewer marched out to make his beer almost two centuries ago.

Used to see their cans around, but I don't think I've ever seen a tap handle in twon.  Might be bigger in Cincy.

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Geuze
  • signed life away on the internet totally worth it
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2019, 11:22:10 AM »

Taxman makes good beer, or at least what I have had is good.

'bout to find out

@howardf
Quote from: urbanhack
my head was buried in shuke's tits.
TITS help you hit home runs.