search

Author Topic: South Africa  (Read 196 times)

Offline bakes

• VIP and TBS Founding Member
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Barleywine
  • Alcospeakerholic
South Africa
« on: January 15, 2019, 08:05:53 AM »
also known as the Lager Stronghold.   :ale:  I was not expecting anything close to the diversity of US craft brewing, so I went in with the mindset of finding good clean lagers and ales rather than some bizarre milkshake and in that regard was pleasantly surprised.

Hit up a few breweries and had a few local brews as well.  Some impressions:

"big" breweries:

- Castle Lager - It's everywhere.  And TBH, it is a decent lager.  The light version was pretty meh but Castle I could live with. Decent maltiness, clean, enjoyable.
- Windhoek Light - Brewed in Namibia, green bottle, 3% - Went down cold on a hot day.  Vaguely like Heineken.
- Black Label - Yep, Mabels are popular there.  Basic light colored lager.  OK, but give me a Castle over it 9/10.

Local breweries:

- Cape Brewing Company:  Brewery is located in the Spice Route complex in Paarl, which is chock full of other artisanal businesses.  Lager is spot on, a solid craft lager.  Favorite there was the Summerfest, which was similar to a toasty US Octoberfest lager.  They did a decent pale ale and hefe as well.  Fark lager needed work.  Mandarina Bavaria IPA was OK, if you like Mandarina Bavaria hops.  Not a fan of that hop.  Complex also has a winery, distillery, chocolatier, wood fired pizza oven, ice cream maker, coffee roaster, glass blowing, butchery, biltong manufacturer, restaurant... Fun place to spend several hours!

- Mitchell's Ale House:  Located on the waterfront in Cape Town.  Affiliated with Newlands, a sub-arm of SAB.  Best draught Castle I had on the trip. They make 5 or 6 brews, the best of which was a 90/ Scottish; at 5.6% it was closer to a 70/ but with that maly profile I was not complaining.  A really good beer I went back to twice.  Also did a solid ordinary bitter.  Overall very decent, with killer calamari.

- Stellenbosch Brewing:  Located outside of Cape Town in the middle of nowhere near a ropes course.  They were definitely one of the more advernturesome breweries, and had a number of US styles on tap.  Festbeer was OK but not great, out of the IPA and the NEIPA (!) was similar toa lot of startups here where they just don't quite have things right yet.  Beautiful location.

- Havoc Brewing:  Located in wine country.  Until recently called Granite Rock.  Lager was clearly the star, a decent clean Helles.  Honey Ale was sweet in an odd way. African Red Ale had a strange flavor I could not identify.  The grapefruit chandy still makes me make a face.

- Woodstock Brewing:  20hl system in a somewhat trendy neighborhood.  Did a wide range of beers, super nice people in the taproom, upstairs restaurant was clueless and we left and hit the taproom again on the way out, where they comped us some samples.  Californicator West Coast IPA was old school, but the star of the show was the Born Slippy 4% lager.  Super clean, and just a beautiful malt profile and balance with the noble hops.  Yold J that if we lived there and I had a kegerator, this would be on 24/7.  No bottles.  Dammit.

- Airport Brewing:  Yes, they have a brewpub in Johannesberg Airport.  Good English IPA.  Really bad blonde ale.
My friends say I'm like doing the laundry and forgetting the bleach: I'm not as bright as I could be.

Gator to Pols: I bet you wish the last wedding you went to was the one right before yours....

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
Re: South Africa
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 09:59:33 AM »
Good English IPA.

Doubt you'll ever hear me say this.

Offline thickfreakness

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 10:26:27 AM »
My wife is still trying to convince me to go to South Africa to visit Capetown area for food and wine and then go on safari. The food in Capetown sounds great and I know that the wine is good, but I've never been that interested in safari.

How was the rest of the food there beyond your post in the other thread?

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
    • Research page @ Lambic.info
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 10:27:02 AM »

- Stellenbosch Brewing: Located outside of Cape Town in the middle of nowhere near a ropes course.  They were definitely one of the more advernturesome breweries, and had a number of US styles on tap.  Festbeer was OK but not great, out of the IPA and the NEIPA (!) was similar toa lot of startups here where they just don't quite have things right yet.  Beautiful location.

This is the name of a winery too, wonder if they're related. Looks like it's a region with 200 wineries, so maybe not. Friends have visited there, said it was beautiful. :thumbup:

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Geuze
  • signed life away on the internet totally worth it
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 10:31:11 AM »
:thumbup: always curious what beer exists in other countries and how it holds up by comparison
Quote from: urbanhack
my head was buried in shuke's tits.
TITS help you hit home runs.

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 10:31:56 AM »
My wife is still trying to convince me to go to South Africa to visit Capetown area for food and wine and then go on safari. The food in Capetown sounds great and I know that the wine is good, but I've never been that interested in safari.

How was the rest of the food there beyond your post in the other thread?

as a 2nd, second hand opinion, my friend and his wife were there not that long ago (maybe 2 christmases ago?) and they absolutely loved South Africa. said Cape Town was amazing.

Offline bakes

• Barleywine
  • Alcospeakerholic
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 09:40:44 PM »
Cape Town is amazing - beautiful scenery, everything from oceans to savanna to Table Mountain to breathtaking drives along the sides of a mountain, penguins at Boulders Beach in Simons Town, wild baboons alongside the roads, wineries, great shopping, lots of artisans, history, a very cool waterfront, a fort in town, cable cars to the top of Table Mountain...

... and some breathtakingly desperate poverty.  There are people there who essentially live like hyenas.  Scavage what they can, and no education whatsoever.  And there are areas you DO NOT go through at night, not just in the city, but country roads adjacent to shanty towns.

That said, if you are smart, you are safe.  J's house has a motorized gate and an electric fence, and it is likely smaller than the houses any of us live in.  People drive with their doors locked and their wallets in their front pockets.

The wineries there are killer - the default SA wine is a red Pinotage, and it is addictive.  And inexpensive.  Like $10 will get you a damn good one.  They also do very good Sauvignon Blancs.

Foodwise, it is very diverse.  Had some killer calamari in a couple of places.  You can get KFC, the local chains are Nando's (lots of chicken parts with peri peri, and very tasty IMO) and Wimpy (breakfast all day and burgers).  Spur is a solid local steakhouse, basically meat and potatoes, and RocoMama's has insane amounts of damn tasty food at stupid cheap (for US) prices - full rack of baby backs and fries for like $12.   Lots of Indian and local curries, and also traditional SA dishes like bobotie (ground beef, curry-like spices, topped with a savory egg-cheese custard like topping and browned).  Everyone braais - lamb on the grill is a very popular thing, and rightly so as it is delicious.  A local BBQ sauce known as Jimmy's Sauce is made of love and crack.  Made some chicken thighs marinated in it and they were stunning.  They do some different things, like taking sliced bacon, seasoning it with BBQ spice or chili powder or curry, and then drying it like jerky.  Odd but damn is it addictive.

And yes, there is such a thing as a good English IPA.  :P
My friends say I'm like doing the laundry and forgetting the bleach: I'm not as bright as I could be.

Gator to Pols: I bet you wish the last wedding you went to was the one right before yours....

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2019, 11:03:52 PM »
My good buddy was in SA a couple years ago, got a rental car stolen in Durban, and another one broken into in Port Elisabeth. He took the fuse out of the second one, or it would’ve been stolen too. It seemed that the rental agency was complicit in some kind of insurance fraud/car theft operation. They were nonplussed that the car was stolen, and demanded the keys back. :coffee:

He posted a long story and a bunch of pics here. There was some kind of settlement with the bank and he wasn’t allowed to name the company publicly or some shit.

Cape Town was the highlight of the country though, from what he said. Coffee Bay was beautiful, though also very remote with some extreme poverty.

Offline thickfreakness

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2019, 10:46:30 PM »
Heading to South Africa May 11-21! 1 day in Johannesburg, 5 days on safari and 4 days in Cape Town.

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2019, 09:11:29 AM »
Heading to South Africa May 11-21! 1 day in Johannesburg, 5 days on safari and 4 days in Cape Town.

can you stuff bakeswife in your take home luggage?

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2019, 09:23:34 AM »
SA BBQ truck will be at Dovetail tomorrow :pickle:

Offline bakes

• Barleywine
  • Alcospeakerholic
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2019, 08:39:10 AM »

can you stuff bakeswife in your take home luggage?

:goodposting:

I will likely miss you by less than a week.   :sadbanana:  We will probably be in Durban much of the time.

Offline bakes

• Barleywine
  • Alcospeakerholic
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2019, 08:41:17 PM »
And back on the road I go, this time to Durban, home of incendiary currries, bunny chow, and apparently beer brewed with some sort of cannabis... :rockzo: :unsure:

Offline thickfreakness

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2019, 08:07:13 AM »
And back on the road I go, this time to Durban, home of incendiary currries, bunny chow, and apparently beer brewed with some sort of cannabis... :rockzo: :unsure:

We leave for SA next Thursday!

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2019, 04:44:52 PM »
have fun, both of you!

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2019, 09:43:18 PM »
Bon voyage, y’all! :cheers:

Offline bakes

• Barleywine
  • Alcospeakerholic
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2019, 10:55:42 AM »
I may have brought back a kilo of various curry powder and Durban spices... :unsure: :explode:

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2019, 02:26:20 PM »
I may have brought back a kilo of various curry powder and Durban spices... :unsure: :explode:
:excited:

How was the trip?