search

Author Topic: Twin Cities this weekend (Dec. 14'th- 16'th)  (Read 285 times)

Offline Initiative

• TBS Founding Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Quadrupel
  • Beer Slap Bob
Twin Cities this weekend (Dec. 14'th- 16'th)
« on: December 10, 2018, 10:48:59 AM »
Sounds like I will be up in that area Friday-Sunday for the NCAA VB tournament. Staying near the target center is what I'm told. Any places I need to check out? I should have some time as I'm not going to the games themselves and I don't think there are games on Friday.
Thread killer extraordinaire!
00:21:17 ‹braconid› I'm a fan of little tits, but not silver dollar pancakes with rancid butter nipples
00:21:31 ‹nchrist› lol
00:21:42 ‹Steve Tasker› i'm not even kidding, i'd hit it.....a lot

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
Re: Twin Cities this weekend (Dec. 14'th- 16'th)
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 11:22:02 AM »
Places near Target Center or anywhere in the Twin Cities?

Offline Initiative

• TBS Founding Member
  • Quadrupel
  • Beer Slap Bob
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 11:28:49 AM »
Anywhere, not expecting much around the target center outside of just normal bars.
00:21:17 ‹braconid› I'm a fan of little tits, but not silver dollar pancakes with rancid butter nipples

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 12:23:31 PM »
Anywhere, not expecting much around the target center outside of just normal bars.

I'd stop by Barrel Theory in St. Paul for sure. 

Downtown there you could easily hit Fulton, Modist and Inbound in one run.  That said, the only one I like of those three is Fulton.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
    • Research page @ Lambic.info
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2018, 01:23:42 PM »

Downtown there you could easily hit Fulton, Modist and Inbound in one run.  That said, the only one I like of those three is Fulton.

Dangerous Man and Fair State worth a trip?

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2018, 09:12:31 PM »

People still love Dangerous Man, but I never was that impressed and it seems like some has even gone downhill some.  Fair State, however, makes great beer.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2018, 09:26:37 PM »

People still love Dangerous Man, but I never was that impressed and it seems like some has even gone downhill some.  Fair State, however, makes great beer.
I skipped DM at the Taste this year due to the lines. Seemed like mostly fruit milkshakes and adjunct stouts, not a bad thing, just not what i’d wait in line for.

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2018, 10:11:49 PM »

I skipped DM at the Taste this year due to the lines. Seemed like mostly fruit milkshakes and adjunct stouts, not a bad thing, just not what i’d wait in line for.

I've heard their milkshakes aren't very good, though I haven't had one yet.  Their IPAs are not good.  Stouts and porters are typically solid.

Offline Initiative

• TBS Founding Member
  • Quadrupel
  • Beer Slap Bob
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2018, 11:04:01 AM »
Flights available at the (Surly)Beer hall or just full pours?

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2018, 12:46:47 PM »
Flights available at the (Surly)Beer hall or just full pours?

No flights.

Offline Initiative

• TBS Founding Member
  • Quadrupel
  • Beer Slap Bob
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2019, 06:01:03 PM »
Was a nice but short non stop trip up there.

Hit up
Friday:
Surly - First time at the new brewery. Everyone agreed this was the best as far as overall quality and verity. Is it a requirement to have a tattoo or piercing? GF's brother in-law fell in love with Pentagram so I gifted them a bottle for Christmas.

Dangerous Man - This was a giant meh... Someone got a maple sour that was just gross, by far the worst beer I tasted the whole trip.  I had an underwhelming coffee stout. They had at least 3 variants of peanut butter porter. The one we tried was the peanut butter fudge cask porter that was overly sweet and one dimensional imo. And then a nondescript Ipa.

Indeed - Was solid but nothing mind blowing.

Fair State was the last brewery of the day, A lot of dogs in there and a bit smaller then I expected. Had a massive vanilla imp stout that surprised me. Everyone seemed to enjoy the place but it could have just been that we were all a bit drunk by then.

Had dinner at the Bachelor Farmer, drinks weren't anything to write home about but the food was very good.

Saturday:
Not a ton of drinking on Saturday. Dinner at the Red Cow, they need to work on updating their beer list more frequently then once a day...  At least 1/4 of the list was no longer available and we couldn't see an updated chalkboard or anything so it was 20 questions with the bartenders every time.

I went to take a nap and then to Hopcat well they all went to watch the Volleyball game. Hopcat was really disappointing, so many just standard options that were available here. Hoping it was just a bad day to go(actually just looked and it list is much better then what they had on when I was there). Really pushy bartenders as well...

Sunday:
Stopped at Barrel Theory on the way out of town. Lots of Haze, I thought all were good but not great. Girlfriend hated the lime milkshake.

Brewing Projekt, some good some bad, was only Ipa's and fruited Berliner Weiss's. Overheard, so not sure if they were joking or not, one of the bartenders say the brew master was fired that week. Seems like a weird things to do when you are about to finish an expansion.

It's crazy just how many places there are up there now. It was the first time I had really spent any time outside of just passing through since TT fest I think. Definitely need to do it again soon.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2019, 01:23:00 AM »
Thanks for the writeup :thumbup: