search

Author Topic: Chicago Run  (Read 252 times)

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Barleywine
  • If I've offended you, it made me happy.
Chicago Run
« on: October 19, 2018, 10:13:58 PM »
I apologize in advance for the lack of pics.

We made the run up to Chicago to see the Gorrilaz concert at the United Center.  Me and the kid came up last year to see them at Northerly Island, but up and back in the same day is brutal, so I wasn't doing that again.  We booked a room at the Carleton of Oak Park due to the free parking and convenience to the train.  My wife also came with us this time.

First stop was the Willis Tower.  I haven't been in there since I was a kid, so it was worth a revisit.  I didn't set foot in those pop out glass ledges though, fuck that noise.  Hardly any line, so we were in and out of there pretty quickly.  We spent the rest of the day on the Magnificent Mile, with the ladies getting their retail fix.  I made it out of there without buying anything but food, so that wasn't all bad.  Had lunch at the Tavern on Rush, which was expensive and just OK.  Also stopped at Sprinkles.  My wife fell in love when we were in LA, so had to pop in to our nearest location.  After that we popped into the Dark Matter Mothership to pick up beans, then headed to the hotel.  Dinner at the local Lou's, which I still think is probably the most boring of the big Chicago chains.

Next up was concert time.  A quick google told me where I needed to get off of the train, but you can't miss the arena from the train, so I would have figured it out either way.  Was hit up for cash from a likely meth user, but he moved on pretty quickly.  Two junkies that were literally slumped over sat next to us.  All good though, a ringing endorsement for "just say no!"  Concert was awesome, just like the last one, and the acoustics at the United Center were better than I anticipated.  No drama on the train ride home.  If I would have known Twenty One Pilots was playing the next night, I might have gone to both shows.

Had breakfast at the Cozy Corner.  It's your typical Greek breakfast joint, but everything was fantastic.  I had the biscuits and gravy, and both components were well made.  Potatoes were a little boring, but whatever, they're potatoes.  Worth a stop if you're in the area.  I asked the kid if she wanted to go to the Field Museum or the Shedd, and she picked the aquarium.  Took the green to Roosevelt and walked the rest of the way.  Seemed like it was unnecessarily complicated to get there on foot, but we figured it out.  I think it's the nicest aquarium I've been to, but we're supposed to go to the one in Atlanta sometime.  From there we took the red line to Chinatown for a quick browse, then headed north on the red to get to Pizzeria Bebu.  Dan's recommendation didn't disappoint, and we all left happy.  This was the first time I've been to Chicago without eating either Pequods or Piece (or both) since I was a kid, but I don't feel like I missed out.

Popped into Prairie Bread Kitchen for a muffin and a coffee on our way out of town, and it was pretty good too.  Oak Park is actually a nice little neighborhood that we loved walking around and checking out.  Thanks to Swedish Jesus for the recommendation.  My wife and kid both said that riding the trains was the worst part of the trip, but they're dumb.  It's a cool experience when you don't have that in your city, and learning how to read a route and get around a big city is a pretty valuable skill.  Also saw a ton of cool graffiti once the green line got closer to downtown.

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Geuze
  • signed life away on the internet totally worth it
Re: Chicago Run
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2018, 10:32:01 PM »
:thumbup: sounds fun.  the Shedd is the balls. hope you bought passes from your hotel and skipped waiting to buy them at the aquarium.

Quote from: urbanhack
my head was buried in shuke's tits.
TITS help you hit home runs.

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Barleywine
  • If I've offended you, it made me happy.
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2018, 11:04:20 AM »
There were two people ahead of us in line, and very small crowds in the aquarium. Nice visit all around.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
    • Research page @ Lambic.info
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2018, 10:50:58 PM »
Cool, thanks for the writeup! Glad you guys had a good time. :thumbup:

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
    • Research page @ Lambic.info
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2018, 12:13:20 PM »
About the trains, there are two CTA lines that run from that area, plus a Metra line. Green line is closer to Oak Park, and runs through some rough areas but you also get to see the Garfield Park Conservatory. Blue line runs from Forest Park, along the highway. If you're just going downtown, either one works, but the blue line also heads NW up to Wicker Park, Logan Square, etc.