search

Author Topic: Chicago this weekend  (Read 249 times)

Offline Farmhousewench

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Double IPA
Chicago this weekend
« on: September 11, 2018, 11:39:22 AM »
Hi friends,

My mom, cousin, and two aunts are taking me to Chicago for a pre-baby getaway. We're staying at an airbnb in Blue Island Sat-Monday and seeing Pentatonix on Sunday night.

I'm 36wks pregnant and therefore not super up for the usual touristy things, so I'm looking for ideas of low-key activities/restaurants/sights to see for Saturday afternoon and during the day on Sunday. I like nature, history and food. My family members are high strung, small town Wisconsinites and wrangling them downtown sounds like a nightmare to me, as patience is not my strong suit these days. Any easily accessible restaurants with nice outdoor seating areas? Interesting walking tours (self-guided a plus)?

Help? TIA :wub:

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
    • Research page @ Lambic.info
Re: Chicago this weekend
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 02:35:09 PM »
Have a fun trip! :excited:
Well, in Blue Island my #1 rec would have been Maple Tree Inn, but they had a fire a few weeks ago. :(

Most of my experience in the area is beer and food related, go figure. :bag:
Blue Island Public House and Blue Island Brewing, DOC's Smokehouse & Craft Bar in Tinley Park.
The Open Bottle in Tinley Park for beers to bring home.

You might try driving west on 83 through the forest preserves, might be nice for a nature walk.

Mariscos La Sirena for seafood, outdoor seating. Mario's Tacos has an outdoor patio, food looks to be standard fare. 
Iversen's Bakery for baked goods, Don Churros for fresh made churros.

That's a start anyway, if I can dig up more i'll let you know!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 02:38:17 PM by emerge »

Offline Farmhousewench

• VIP Member
  • Double IPA
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 09:16:55 PM »
Have a fun trip! :excited:
Well, in Blue Island my #1 rec would have been Maple Tree Inn, but they had a fire a few weeks ago. :(

Most of my experience in the area is beer and food related, go figure. :bag:
Blue Island Public House and Blue Island Brewing, DOC's Smokehouse & Craft Bar in Tinley Park.
The Open Bottle in Tinley Park for beers to bring home.

You might try driving west on 83 through the forest preserves, might be nice for a nature walk.

Mariscos La Sirena for seafood, outdoor seating. Mario's Tacos has an outdoor patio, food looks to be standard fare. 
Iversen's Bakery for baked goods, Don Churros for fresh made churros.

That's a start anyway, if I can dig up more i'll let you know!

Thank you!!

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2018, 09:42:56 PM »
You might also consider a metra train ride downtown, no worries about driving or parking. You can buy tickets on the train itself. Millenium Park, Art Institute, and the Cultural Center are all in close walking distance.

There are a number of public sculptures around the Loop that are fun to see if you haven’t, Calder Flamingo, Picasso, Chagall tile mosaic wall. Buckingham fountain and some adjacent gardens are walkable towards the lake from Michigan ave.

There is also a newer pedestrian riverwalk with little outdoor patios and nice views of the city, just north of the train.

Offline Farmhousewench

• VIP Member
  • Double IPA
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2018, 10:14:14 PM »
Well, we ended up doing touristy things after all, but I had a great time! Our airbnb was perfect and in a beautiful, super old neighborhood full of amazing houses to gawk at. And it was only $300 for two nights, so $60/pp split among the 5 of us.  Our hosts also mentioned Maple Tree Inn, and were very sad about that situation.

Saturday night we ubered downtown ($55 for XL) and did a 1.5 mile haunted Chicago walking tour with a fantastic guide who told the death/murder stories really well. We saw the Flamingo...I thought it was an elephant.  :shrug:

Sunday we took the train downtown (thanks for the tip about the Metra; it was really easy!) and did an architecture boat tour down the river.  :thumbup:

We had pretty good seats for the concert Sunday night and didn't have any troubles getting in or out of the parking lot, which I had read might be a problem at Tinley Park.

We tried two Blue Island restaurants, a diner called De Mar's for lunch (gyro and hashbrowns, both pretty good, excellent service), and Beggar's Pizza for carryout (delicious!).
 :cheers:

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 11:31:42 PM »
Great! Glad you had a fun time! I’d be interested to do a drive by in that neighborhood to check out the archiecture sometime.

Thanks for the write up, i’m always interested in how trips go and what local places were visited. De Mar’s looks like a cool old school diner, there used to be another one on Chicago Ave. near Hack’s old place.

What did you think of downtown Chicago?