search

Author Topic: Quad Cities - Yes, all 5 of them  (Read 482 times)

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
    • Research page @ Lambic.info
Quad Cities - Yes, all 5 of them
« on: April 13, 2018, 12:51:24 PM »
The QC area doesn't see much action on here, but I went out there for a show last weekend and was pretty impressed.
Better options than there were a few years ago. Davenport side of the river had an edge with many places in convenient proximity to each other.

Here's my top 3:

Endless Brews, Davenport

Relaxed vibe in this newer taproom/beer store combo spot. Lots of wood, comfy leather couches and plants up front. Taster flights available. They had TG Supa Sumo and Lionstone Burnin' Love on tap, which were the 2 best beers of the weekend. Staff were very knowledgeable.

Wake Brewing, Rock Island

Newish brewery, opened 6 months ago or so. Chill vibe with some subtle metal decor. Solid range of styles and quality stuff. Porter, hazy IIPA, raspberry milk stout (dry) were the highlights for me. The owner also is the show promoter/beer guy at Ribco, and had booked the show I saw the night before, so that was fun to talk about. Rich from Radicle Effect came in, and it felt like a very small world all of a sudden. Good times.

Radicle Effect, Rock Island

Cool hangout spot with an in-house nanobrewery. Relaxed vibe, good beers, good music. Their English brown ale was pretty nice, it was based on a historical south London variety. They get Triptych, which IA does not get. Kellerbier on tap and hazy IIPA in cans. The brewer/owner Rich bartends on Saturdays, got to talk to him for awhile. Got the lowdown on local stuff, very down to earth guy.

Honorable mentions:
Triple Crown Whiskey Bar & Raccoon Motel: 100 whiskeys, live music, old man bar meets taxidermist's wet dream, & nice bocce court.
Rock Island Brewing Company, Rock Island: $6 Cafe Deth and TG DDH NugMo were dangerous. Intimate old school music venue.
Bent River Brewery & Taproom, Rock Island: Chill vibe and crowd on Sunday. Guanabana Berliner & peach DIPA were solid.
Big Mouthz BBQ, Davenport: Great ribs, raspberry habanero sauce was a surprise hit.
John's Northstar Inn, La Salle: Best fried chicken east of Rip's Tavern and west of Parson's.
A flock of 8-10 pelicans just chilling on the Mississippi River.

Dishonorable mentions:
Blue Cat Brewpub, Rock Island: Nothing special beer wise, a decent Hungarian chile beer. Nice bartender. Very dated 90's vibe.
Rebellion Brew Haus, East Moline: Frat party vibe at 2 in the afternoon, crap house beers. No printed beer list, 4 separate chalkboards around the place listed different beers like a scavenger hunt. Very nice bartender.
O'Keefe's, East Moline: Dive bar with a decent beer selection. Things went south when I got a pint of Noon Whistle Gummy Vortex and it was clearly old. Time to leave when a crowd piled in an began belting out "country road take me home" as loud as they could. kindly gtfo pls.
Armored Gardens, Davenport: Probably the most anticipated stop, with BBQ and 100 taps what could go wrong? It was packed by 7pm, and super loud. Concrete floors, white picnic tables, and astroturfed walls inside. The bar was white, everything was white. Kind of an odd vibe. 100 taps on digital screens meant spending 5-10 minutes squinting at the tiny lettering above the bar. No printed menu. They were "out of brisket", but the couple next to me ordered some after me and got theirs. "Oh, sorry about that" was the reply. The burnt ends were super salty and almost inedible, but washed them down with average fries since I was starving. Bounced after a beer.

Somehow made it to 15 places including non-beer stuff hotel, food, etc. :deadbanana:
All in all, i'd go back anytime to hit the highlights again. Quite a few things I missed this time around.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 10:02:28 AM by emerge »

Offline flyingbison

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
Re: Quad Cities
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 12:53:17 PM »
What/where are the "quad cities?"  :mellow:

Offline JJ

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Barleywine
Re: Quad Cities
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 01:16:23 PM »
The Force is what gives a brewer his power. It's an energy field created by yeast. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It converts polysaccharides to ethyl alcohol.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 01:27:32 PM by emerge »

Offline flyingbison

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
Re: Quad Cities - Yes, all 5 of them
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2018, 02:43:59 PM »
"The Quad Cities is a region of five cities in northwest Illinois and southeastern Iowa."

:blink:

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2018, 05:56:08 PM »
"The Quad Cities is a region of five cities in northwest Illinois and southeastern Iowa."

:blink:

it's a midwestern paradox

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2018, 10:39:05 AM »

Forgot to post the Endless Brews beer list, it was probably the best one of the weekend.
Supa Sumo was awesome, managed to find a bottle here recently. :ale:

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Geuze
  • signed life away on the internet totally worth it
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2018, 09:42:27 PM »
please tell me you got a gyro at Uncle Pete's in Moline
Quote from: urbanhack
my head was buried in shuke's tits.
TITS help you hit home runs.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2018, 11:14:03 PM »
please tell me you got a gyro at Uncle Pete's in Moline
Next time :thumbup:
Got a couple of food spots lined up.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2018, 09:53:15 AM »
Forgot to beer shop in Iowa. :doh:

Not a big Summit fan, especially in light of recent events, but I guess Keller Pils cans are in IA.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2018, 11:02:14 PM »
Not even back a week and already want to leave. QC may be in the cards again soonish.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2019, 12:03:25 AM »
QC represent, Wake was at the CBS event last weekend in Chicago :cheers:

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2019, 10:33:07 AM »
Made our last stop at Wake Brewing on the way home, picked up some Hungry Hobo subs on the way to eat there.

A good saison, a couple good hazies i'd had earlier at the fest, a nice imperial stout, also brought home a Mexican Lager and "pastry brown" to try. (imperial brown with coffee and maple syrup).

They are having their 2nd anniversary party at the end of the month: