search

Author Topic: Official **Arizona** Thread  (Read 525 times)

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
    • Research page @ Lambic.info
Official **Arizona** Thread
« on: April 03, 2018, 01:49:04 PM »
:tumbleweed:
Flying into Phoenix and driving to the Grand Canyon. Will have a kid in tow, hopefully on the return trip too. :unsure:
Probably staying in Flagstaff or Prescott one night. Might do the Petrified Forest.

Any trip tips or suggestions?

AZ Wilderness
Welcome Diner
Peyote Church
Wren House
Wandering Tortoise
Helton Brewing
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 05:21:43 PM by emerge »

Offline unclejedi

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Quadrupel
Re: Official **Arizona** Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 01:55:34 AM »
Well, its the other direction, but our best local brewer got hired away to open a brewery in Tombstone, and he's doing great stuff... you might see some draft in Phoenix.

In Prescott, of course, don't miss Superstition Meadery... they'll set you up with a crazy flight of 15-20 meads for sampling... they make great stuff... also in Prescott, great bottle shop called Park Plaza Liquor & Deli... they typically have some hard to find Bourbon and other spirits, last time I was there, there was a stack 4 cases high of High West Midsummer's Night Dram.

In Flagstaff, two breweries of note, Mother Road Brewing (IE Rt 66) and Dark Sky Brewing.

Looks like you got most of Phoenix, but I might add McFate Brewing as well.  I was also impressed with The Beer Research Institute.
non-conformists are all the same...

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 09:21:02 PM »
Well, its the other direction, but our best local brewer got hired away to open a brewery in Tombstone, and he's doing great stuff... you might see some draft in Phoenix.

In Prescott, of course, don't miss Superstition Meadery... they'll set you up with a crazy flight of 15-20 meads for sampling... they make great stuff... also in Prescott, great bottle shop called Park Plaza Liquor & Deli... they typically have some hard to find Bourbon and other spirits, last time I was there, there was a stack 4 cases high of High West Midsummer's Night Dram.

In Flagstaff, two breweries of note, Mother Road Brewing (IE Rt 66) and Dark Sky Brewing.

Looks like you got most of Phoenix, but I might add McFate Brewing as well.  I was also impressed with The Beer Research Institute.
That’s some top shelf intel, thanks! :thumbup:
I didn’t know about Superstition Meadery. Have heard of Tombstone, i’ll keep an eye out in PHX.
Not sure how much time we’ll have there, seems like the majority will be screwing around in nature. <_<

Offline unclejedi

• VIP Member
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 03:55:43 AM »

I didn’t know about Superstition Meadery. Have heard of Tombstone, i’ll keep an eye out in PHX.
Not sure how much time we’ll have there, seems like the majority will be screwing around in nature. <_<
Well if you do end up and Prescott, and their is a kid as part of the entourage, and getting out into the wild is important, there is another place of interest... a brewery truly in the middle of fucking no where, its a dirt forestry road to get there, its called Barnstar brewing
http://www.barnstarbrew.com
only open Saturday and Sunday, but its an interesting place, and they've got a couple of pigmy ponies that the kid can feed

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2018, 12:12:58 PM »

Well if you do end up and Prescott, and their is a kid as part of the entourage, and getting out into the wild is important, there is another place of interest... a brewery truly in the middle of fucking no where, its a dirt forestry road to get there, its called Barnstar brewing
http://www.barnstarbrew.com
only open Saturday and Sunday, but its an interesting place, and they've got a couple of pigmy ponies that the kid can feed
:excited: That will def get me bonus points, so thanks for that one!
Looks like a pretty cool place. Hoping we can make a stop on the return trip.

It appears that my uh, travel agent, has booked the entire week at the grand canyon itself. <_<
Hopefully we can get a night in Phoenix when we touch down... a 4 hr. flight + 4 hr. drive with a 9 yr. old = :hack: :killmenow:

I guess if I could narrow it down to maybe 3-4 bucket list places in Phoenix, that will work. Sounds like the flight back is an evening one.

Offline J-Rod

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Double IPA
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2018, 12:19:43 PM »
If you do stay in Flagstaff and drive out to the Petrified Forest, the Meteor Crater is a fun stop along the way, off the 40.

A WEEK at the grand canyon? Are you hiking/burro'ing down and up? Rafting? If you're staying up top and not going down, a day is about all you need. It all looks like a painting from up top anyway, haha. The glass pedestrian bridge is a lot of fun, but it isn't in the most touristy location (I think it's in the west, and the most scenic areas are in the east).

I know I'll probably get flack for this, but after all these years, I'm still a big fan of Papago Brewings Orange Blossom and Coconut Joe. Papago lost their lease on their brewpub, but I think you can find their beers at a number of other locations around the area.
J> I'm telling you, eat just a little and then rub the flesh
Can't help it....I have man-love for the Cuban Missile.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2018, 01:48:14 PM »
If you do stay in Flagstaff and drive out to the Petrified Forest, the Meteor Crater is a fun stop along the way, off the 40.

A WEEK at the grand canyon? Are you hiking/burro'ing down and up? Rafting? If you're staying up top and not going down, a day is about all you need. It all looks like a painting from up top anyway, haha. The glass pedestrian bridge is a lot of fun, but it isn't in the most touristy location (I think it's in the west, and the most scenic areas are in the east).

I know I'll probably get flack for this, but after all these years, I'm still a big fan of Papago Brewings Orange Blossom and Coconut Joe. Papago lost their lease on their brewpub, but I think you can find their beers at a number of other locations around the area.

Thanks for the tips! Meteor crater sounds cool. There are petrified dino tracks out that way too, sounded fun for a kid.
Yeah, my wife wants to take her niece hiking there. A week seemed way too long, we fly in Mon. and out Fri. so not a full week.

Is Papago contract-brewing those, or are they done completely?

Offline J-Rod

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Double IPA
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2018, 05:23:33 PM »

Thanks for the tips! Meteor crater sounds cool. There are petrified dino tracks out that way too, sounded fun for a kid.
Yeah, my wife wants to take her niece hiking there. A week seemed way too long, we fly in Mon. and out Fri. so not a full week.

Is Papago contract-brewing those, or are they done completely?

I was incorrect. It wasn't a brewpub, it was a taproom. Papago has always outsourced production, from day one. Leah Huss worked for Papago for 14 something years, then in 2013 left and started an ACTUAL brewery with her husband, and called it Huss Brewing Co. and immediately became the premiere brewer for Papago. Then, in 2016, they actually bought Papago, the taproom and the restaurant. Then, at the end of 2017, they had to shutdown the taproom because the owner of the shopping center they were in was demolishing it. At that point though, it didn't really matter, because Huss and Papago were already one in the same and Huss Brewing has their own taproom.

:o :o :o

TL;DR you can pretty much get Orange Blossom and Coconut Joe anywhere, but guaranteed to be in Huss Brewing Co. taprooms in Tempe and Phoenix.
J> I'm telling you, eat just a little and then rub the flesh
Can't help it....I have man-love for the Cuban Missile.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2018, 10:41:39 AM »
Anyone been to Historic in Flagstaff? Looks like they have a brewpub outpost in Williams now too.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2018, 12:34:57 PM »
Does anyone know offhand if any beers from WY, ND, SD are distributed in Arizona? TIA

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Barleywine
  • If I've offended you, it made me happy.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2018, 02:43:17 PM »
http://www.beerphxation.com/p/beer-distributed-in-arizona.html

Thanks, didn't see any WY, ND, SD breweries, but that's a way more comprehensive list than seekabrew.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2018, 01:36:56 PM »
I think we’ll stop in Flagstaff to eat on the way north. Looks like Mother Road has a Neapolitan pizza place next door that opens at 5pm. McGaugh’s looks like a good shop nearby to stock up for the week.

Wandering Tortoise in Phx has Superstition and Tombstone stuff, likely will stop there on way back. Got some good intel on tacos spots, may get some to go and eat there. Only time for a couple breweries, i’m thinking Wren House and AZ Wilderness.

Offline unclejedi

• VIP Member
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2018, 02:01:57 AM »
Does anyone know offhand if any beers from WY, ND, SD are distributed in Arizona? TIA
You might see some Melvin stuff from WY there... its in CA, hell its even in MA.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2018, 09:47:52 AM »
You might see some Melvin stuff from WY there... its in CA, hell its even in MA.
Cool, thanks :thumbup:
Snake River was the only thing I could think of in WY, but idk if they distribute out of state.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2018, 10:46:15 PM »
Update: tried a couple dozen AZ and CA beers, currently working on Jucius Caesar, a Superstition mead with grapefruit and hops. Pretty nice but still fairly sweet and honey forward.

Highlights: Belching Beaver Phantom Bride IPA, Historic Red 4 Ed Flanders Red, Mother Road Tower IPA, Santan Moon Juice IPA. Modern Times. Dark Sky in Flagstaff had some creative stuff.

Phoenix tomorrow.
Starting to miss Chicago beers.

Offline Westside Threat

• VIP and TBS Founding Member
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Barleywine
  • Carpe Cervisiam
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2018, 12:44:16 PM »
Update: tried a couple dozen AZ and CA beers, currently working on Jucius Caesar, a Superstition mead with grapefruit and hops. Pretty nice but still fairly sweet and honey forward.

Highlights: Belching Beaver Phantom Bride IPA, Historic Red 4 Ed Flanders Red, Mother Road Tower IPA, Santan Moon Juice IPA. Modern Times. Dark Sky in Flagstaff had some creative stuff.

Phoenix tomorrow.
Starting to miss Chicago beers.

Make the trip to San Diego and you will be fine...
Should we take a cab home, Jesus?
Shit man, we can hoof it from here.
I know you can walk on water...
But can you walk on this much beer?

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2018, 04:07:37 PM »

Oak Creek IPA in Sedona :bye:

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2018, 07:20:53 PM »
Got held up by wildfires on the way back to Phoenix, so we headed straight to the airport and missed Wren House and AZ Wilderness.
Oh well, next time I guess. Sedona was pretty cool, especially the surrounding area, and Red Rocks scenic byway.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2018, 03:56:20 PM »
We stopped at Bedrock City, a psychedelic bootleg Flintstones theme park. It was like a bad acid trip at the playground, in other words, pretty awesome.
One of those places where the feeling of America's glory days fading away was very palpable. It was like a roadside cemetery for childhood memories.

totally not creepy at all...

All these little houses had weird interiors, like Pee Wee's Playhouse if David Lynch designed it and abandoned it for 30 years.

Here's a great read about it. :tldr:
https://www.theawl.com/2016/03/amidst-of-the-rubble-of-bedrock-city/
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 04:19:05 PM by emerge »

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Barleywine
  • If I've offended you, it made me happy.
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2018, 10:11:23 PM »
That looks awesome!

Offline unclejedi

• VIP Member
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2018, 02:14:42 AM »
We stopped at Bedrock City, a psychedelic bootleg Flintstones theme park. It was like a bad acid trip at the playground, in other words, pretty awesome.
One of those places where the feeling of America's glory days fading away was very palpable. It was like a roadside cemetery for childhood memories.

totally not creepy at all...

All these little houses had weird interiors, like Pee Wee's Playhouse if David Lynch designed it and abandoned it for 30 years.

Here's a great read about it. :tldr:
https://www.theawl.com/2016/03/amidst-of-the-rubble-of-bedrock-city/
Thats so typical for Arizona, there's so many crazy things to see, both natural and man made... All the trips driving cross country with a car load of beer, I'm never bored by Arizona... and I've not checked out Sonora yet, but after your report, I think I will.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2018, 09:32:25 AM »
Thats so typical for Arizona, there's so many crazy things to see, both natural and man made... All the trips driving cross country with a car load of beer, I'm never bored by Arizona... and I've not checked out Sonora yet, but after your report, I think I will.

Yeah, it was definitely in the top 5 drives i've done. The area north of Sedona was very nice too, some camping and lodging around Slide Rock State Park. Butterfly Garden Inn looked really cool. Will definitely get back there someday to see what we can see. The Flintstones thing was further north in Valle, near Williams on the way up to the canyon.

Sedona isn't too great for beer, from my brief experience, but there are plenty of options in Flagstaff, also Superstition in Prescott, etc.

Offline chi_dave

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2018, 07:28:52 PM »
So I'll be in PHX for work next week, staying in the Biltmore area. No car, so I'm looking for suggestions hopefully within walking distance. Looks like Wren House would only be a two mile uber, so that's definitely on my list. Any other suggestions in the area?

Offline unclejedi

• VIP Member
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2018, 01:35:36 AM »
So I'll be in PHX for work next week, staying in the Biltmore area. No car, so I'm looking for suggestions hopefully within walking distance. Looks like Wren House would only be a two mile uber, so that's definitely on my list. Any other suggestions in the area?
You've also got SunUp Brewing close to where you will be, its worth a visit... there's a pretty good bottle shop / growler fill / beer bar not too far off called King's Beer & Wine on Central St, good place for a variety of local things, open late, and they've got their list on untappd...
https://untappd.com/v/kings-beer-wine/3678917
new places popping up all the time, lately I find the best thing is simply doing a Google map search for brewery whenever I'm in a populous area, usually finds me things none of the beer sites know of yet.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2018, 05:49:55 PM »
Heard good things about Wandering Tortoise and Helton is nearby too.

Offline chi_dave

• Quadrupel
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2018, 02:41:31 AM »
Thank you both. Definitely found Wandering Tortoise through the tried and true google. Kings Beer is now on the list!

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2018, 10:12:41 AM »
You've also got SunUp Brewing close to where you will be, its worth a visit... there's a pretty good bottle shop / growler fill / beer bar not too far off called King's Beer & Wine on Central St, good place for a variety of local things, open late, and they've got their list on untappd...
new places popping up all the time, lately I find the best thing is simply doing a Google map search for brewery whenever I'm in a populous area, usually finds me things none of the beer sites know of yet.
Cellars is a shop near SunUp that I had marked as one to visit. Huss Brewing is right by SunUp too. Might be more convenient than Kings if you're walking. Also a Total Wine and Whole Foods on Camelback Rd.

Are you staying at the fancy Biltmore hotel? :$:
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 10:18:00 AM by emerge »

Offline chi_dave

• Quadrupel
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2018, 01:08:30 PM »
Cellars is a shop near SunUp that I had marked as one to visit. Huss Brewing is right by SunUp too. Might be more convenient than Kings if you're walking. Also a Total Wine and Whole Foods on Camelback Rd.

Are you staying at the fancy Biltmore hotel? :$:

Ha, working for a non-profit means the Hampton Inn is as fancy as it gets.

Pizza Blanco = yum
Whole Foods bar = great tap selection
Wren House = most impressive beers of the trip. Fire Barrel was a bit sweet for me, but still a great BA stout. The IPAs were  :thumbup:

Met some great colleagues from across the country, plenty of  :ale: and  :hangover: