search

Author Topic: Toronto, ON  (Read 463 times)

Offline Pols

• VIP and TBS Founding Member
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Old Ale
  • haters get the gas face
Toronto, ON
« on: March 31, 2018, 11:09:44 PM »
I'm heading to Toronto for a few days at the start of June. Any recommendations?  I'll be staying downtown with no agenda other than the Hockey Hall of Fame. 

GO!

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
    • Research page @ Lambic.info
Re: Toronto, ON
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2018, 10:03:09 AM »
Bellwoods is solid :thumbup:

Offline Steve Tasker

• Old Ale
  • **OFFICIAL Fruit King of TBS**
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2018, 08:38:43 PM »
Arkells are in Hamilton on 6/23, come on down
helping Stephanie deliver sausage to the unit since 2010

Offline OHLRangers

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Old Ale
  • Too much beer, too little time.
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2018, 11:06:20 PM »
Bellwoods is your #1, #2, #3 and #4 choice for breweries. The gold standard. Original brewery/pub is west-end downtown (Ossington/Queen), serves food, a pretty extensive tap list plus "reserve" bottles of their limited stuff for on-premises consumption. New(ish) production brewery is north of the city proper (North York, Keele/Lawrence area).

Liked Folly Brewpub on our only visit last year, though I have heard it's been sold. Their focus was primarily on farmhouse styles and they did them well. Not sure what it's like now.

Hear that Burdock is good, but have yet to visit myself. Always end up just going to Bellwoods.  :lol:

Great Lakes in Etobicoke has some pretty decent one-offs but their standard lineup is pretty average.

Haven't been to Amsterdam, want to go as like Great Lakes they've been knocking a few things out of the park but their regulars are meh. They have three different locations now (including a Barrel House).

Can't comment to beer bars/food places downtown as when I'm in the area I'm out in the west end or north end burbs (and it sucks trying to drive around town pretty much 24/7/365).

Offline bakes

• Barleywine
  • Alcospeakerholic
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 01:47:57 PM »
Let me ask my bud who works at CBW, he used to brew at Cameron's in the TO area and goes back quite a bit.
My friends say I'm like doing the laundry and forgetting the bleach: I'm not as bright as I could be.

Gator to Pols: I bet you wish the last wedding you went to was the one right before yours....

Offline OHLRangers

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Old Ale
  • Too much beer, too little time.
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 11:37:41 PM »
Food-wise:

Old skool RB/BA Sleestak (Jeff) was just in Toronto and had rave reviews for WVRST if you're into encased meats.  :coffee:

Been years but enjoyed Lakeview Diner when a friend of ours lived in that neighborhood. Was on Triple D a couple years back. Another spot I saw on DDD that I really want to get to one of these days is The Ace, which is a bit further west of downtown from Bellwoods/Folly/Burdock Breweries.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
    • Research page @ Lambic.info
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2018, 02:43:01 PM »

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2018, 10:35:39 PM »
Since Surly started to ship to Canada, I have developed a sincere hate for America's hat.  Never have I encountered a group of people that are universally inept as I have with all things involved with getting beer up there.  Hope Toronto is better, but...

Offline Pols

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Old Ale
  • haters get the gas face
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2018, 12:56:48 AM »
Since Surly started to ship to Canada, I have developed a sincere hate for America's hat.  Never have I encountered a group of people that are universally inept as I have with all things involved with getting beer up there.  Hope Toronto is better, but...

:shrug:  We've got lots of beer. You don't NEED to send it. Just keep it if it's making your life that much more difficult. Where are you sending it? Alberta? Saskatchewan? Manitoba? I haven't seen any of it around here. I can't even remember the last time I bought US beer, to be honest. It's usually $5-6 more a 6er and it's not worth it at that price. If you're going through all that trouble to send it up here, I would hope it's benefiting Surly.