Beer Discussion > Homebrewing

Odd ingredient ideas for an Iron Brewer challenge

(1/8) > >>

ntz08:
My homebrew club is doing a couple of competitions this year. One is brewing to style in a bracket style tournament with H2H matchups.

And the other is something like an iron chef type of thing where we'll pick an unusual ingredient to showcase and let folks figure out the best style and way to make that happen. We're thinking that we'll eliminate half of the field each time based on popular vote of a panel or something like that.

Anyway, I thought I'd throw it out there for suggestions on ingredients. We're probably going to start out on the simpler side and then get progressively more difficult/exotic.

I was thinking perhaps a seasonal/winter fruit or veg or some kind of spice/herb, but would love to hear your ideas.

emerge:
I feel like Gruit as a style gives you carte blanche for adjuncts, but I think it omits hops.

Mushrooms - you can get a lot of dried varieties, a local brewer has been using candy cap. Scratch did a hen-of-the-woods wee heavy.
Toasted tree bark - surprisingly great, hickory and cherry especially
Sage - BFM Le Meule is still a standout beer imo
Rocks - steinbier, used to caramelize sugars

Maybe some kind of tropical fruit for the irony factor? :mellow:

howardf:

--- Quote from: emerge on February 08, 2018, 10:14:24 PM ---Mushrooms - you can get a lot of dried varieties, a local brewer has been using candy cap. Scratch did a hen-of-the-woods wee heavy.

--- End quote ---

pwoods and crew did a candy cap beer at their place, and that shit is amazing.

wisconsinbeer1:
On basic brewing they talked to someone who brewed a beer with powdered pigs blood.

emerge:

--- Quote from: howardf on February 09, 2018, 07:25:31 AM ---
--- Quote from: emerge on February 08, 2018, 10:14:24 PM ---Mushrooms - you can get a lot of dried varieties, a local brewer has been using candy cap. Scratch did a hen-of-the-woods wee heavy.

--- End quote ---

pwoods and crew did a candy cap beer at their place, and that shit is amazing.

--- End quote ---
Definitely interesting, they have a maple flavor almost. I noticed a little waxiness in the local beer I had.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version