search

Author Topic: Tucson, AZ  (Read 333 times)

Offline Steve Tasker

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Old Ale
  • **OFFICIAL Fruit King of TBS**
Tucson, AZ
« on: November 07, 2017, 12:31:15 PM »
Shot in the dark here.  Going to be in Tucson for a conference early next week.  Sunday night I should have some free time after about 7 PM.  I will be staying at the Loews Ventana Canyon, which appears to be way the fuck out in the Catalina Foothills. 

I've found some decent-sounding breweries on Yelp, but only a handful seem to be open late enough for me to really get to and enjoy.  Crooked Tooth Brewing is open until 10 and looks pretty nice, but is like a 30-minute ride away from the hotel.  That would be an option.  I also found the Arizona Beer House which has 34 taps and is about 17 minutes away from the hotel and open until 10 PM.  This may be the best bet.  My questions, in case anyone is familiar:

1)  Any particular breweries to recommend?  Keeping in mind that the earliest I could get there on that Sunday evening would be like 7:45 - 8 PM.

2)  If not a brewery itself, any good beer bars to recommend?  Special consideration given to places in a decent location relative to my hotel.  Hotel looks like it's about 15 minutes from civilization.
helping Stephanie deliver sausage to the unit since 2010

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Geuze
  • signed life away on the internet totally worth it
Re: Tucson, AZ
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 12:32:18 PM »
take some pics on Golf Road for me
that's where i was born!
Quote from: urbanhack
my head was buried in shuke's tits.
TITS help you hit home runs.

Offline Steve Tasker

• Old Ale
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 12:41:23 PM »
Whoops, just realized Arizona is considered West and not Southwest on here.  Mods can move if appropriate, sorry.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
    • Research page @ Lambic.info
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 01:11:16 PM »
I think they get Marble beers from NM there.

Offline thickfreakness

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2017, 06:18:39 PM »
We used to have an office in Tucson where I would do inventory counts. I'd always go to 1702 for beer while I was there. Good pizza and taps and open late IIRC.

Offline BryanC

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Old Ale
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 11:56:59 AM »
1702 was going to be my recommendation too, but it's been like 8 years since I've been there.

Offline Steve Tasker

• Old Ale
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2017, 01:35:06 PM »
1702 was fine but it was an odd layout.  There's no bar.  You walk in and you're faced with a counter where you can order both pizza and beer, but that's it.  The pizza was pretty good and the beer selection was good, tons of Arizona stuff that I'd never heard of before.  The people next to me commented how different the place was since the last time they were there.  I ended up sitting at a table by myself since there's no bar, it was a little awkward.

I ended up going to Arizona Beer House later on after the Arizona basketball game.  Really liked this place.  Selection was A+, wide open place, bartender was a nice guy.  It's tucked away in a goofy-looking plaza and a little hard to find, but I like it.  Pretty dead on a Sunday evening, there were maybe 10-15 other people total passing through during my ~2-2.5 hours there.  My only complaint is that it was a bit cold.  They had the fans cranking even though it was getting a little chillier outside.  From a beer standpoint, really nice though.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
    • Research page @ Lambic.info
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2017, 01:41:18 PM »
1702 was fine but it was an odd layout.  There's no bar.  You walk in and you're faced with a counter where you can order both pizza and beer, but that's it.  The pizza was pretty good and the beer selection was good, tons of Arizona stuff that I'd never heard of before.  The people next to me commented how different the place was since the last time they were there.  I ended up sitting at a table by myself since there's no bar, it was a little awkward.

I ended up going to Arizona Beer House later on after the Arizona basketball game.  Really liked this place.  Selection was A+, wide open place, bartender was a nice guy.  It's tucked away in a goofy-looking plaza and a little hard to find, but I like it.  Pretty dead on a Sunday evening, there were maybe 10-15 other people total passing through during my ~2-2.5 hours there.  My only complaint is that it was a bit cold.  They had the fans cranking even though it was getting a little chillier outside.  From a beer standpoint, really nice though.
Still warmer than Buffalo, i'd bet. ;)