search

Author Topic: Going to Chicago  (Read 1340 times)

Offline sunscar22

• Trade Count: (0)
  • IPA
Going to Chicago
« on: September 30, 2017, 11:28:48 PM »
I'm going to Chicago next weekend for a wedding.  Going to be a quick trip so no time to meet up but I'm going to haul some beers home.  What should I look for out there? What should I avoid?  I'll be in Tinley Park, what's the best place for me to shop?

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
    • Research page @ Lambic.info
Re: Going to Chicago
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 12:42:00 AM »
The Open Bottle

What kind of beers are you looking for?
Good local stuff there from Pipeworks, Hailstorm, Half Acre, Noon Whistle, Transient.

Offline sunscar22

• IPA
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 10:30:37 AM »
The Open Bottle

What kind of beers are you looking for?
Good local stuff there from Pipeworks, Hailstorm, Half Acre, Noon Whistle, Transient.

This

Offline sunscar22

• IPA
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 10:35:26 AM »
Turns out I will be in Lincoln Park not Tinley. I'd love to get down to Open Bottle but is there anything closer?

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2017, 11:13:04 AM »
Turns out I will be in Lincoln Park not Tinley. I'd love to get down to Open Bottle but is there anything closer?
Lincoln Park is much more central, so you'll have more options. Binnys Lincoln Park is the biggest store in town, it's a good one stop shop if you're short on time. Best in town is Beer Temple if you're driving, more of a curated selection with plenty of locals. Bottles & Cans is also local-centric, West Lakeview is import heavy with a fair share of local stuff too.

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Geuze
  • signed life away on the internet totally worth it
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2017, 04:50:35 PM »
keep in mind that driving from Lincoln Park to one of those bottle shops could take an hour or 10 minutes.. or 3 hours. depending on traffic.
Quote from: urbanhack
my head was buried in shuke's tits.
TITS help you hit home runs.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2017, 01:00:24 PM »
keep in mind that driving from Lincoln Park to one of those bottle shops could take an hour or 10 minutes.. or 3 hours. depending on traffic.
Probably not 3 hours ;) But yes, traffic is downright turrible here at times. Waze/Google traffic are accurate.
The other 3 mentioned are all on the same side of town, and under 2 miles due north/west of LP proper.

Offline sunscar22

• IPA
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2017, 08:42:31 PM »
Thanks for the tips.

Offline flyingbison

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2017, 09:45:54 PM »

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2017, 10:24:20 PM »
Thanks for the tips.
No problem :cheers:
Happy to help if you need anything else.

Offline BryanC

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Old Ale
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2017, 09:02:13 AM »
Hijacking your thread- sorry. We’re going to be in Chicago tomorrow. I’ll have 3 kids under 10 with me, so probably meet ups are out, though I’m up for it if that sounds appealing to you.

I’m looking for a good beer place for lunch near the science and industry museum and a good pizza place near millennium park.

:cheers:

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2017, 03:41:39 PM »
Hijacking your thread- sorry. We’re going to be in Chicago tomorrow. I’ll have 3 kids under 10 with me, so probably meet ups are out, though I’m up for it if that sounds appealing to you.

I’m looking for a good beer place for lunch near the science and industry museum and a good pizza place near millennium park.

Jolly Pumpkin has a new place in Hyde Park, a mile from the museum.
Appears to be kid friendly, and more importantly, open on Monday. Lots of fun shops nearby on 53rd.

Pizza by Millennium Park, there's a Giordano's a block north on Randolph St. and a Pizano's on Madison.

Have fun! :cheers:

Offline BryanC

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2017, 06:02:31 PM »

Appears to be kid friendly, and more importantly, open on Monday. Lots of fun shops nearby on 53rd.

Pizza by Millennium Park, there's a Giordano's a block north on Randolph St. and a Pizano's on Madison.

Oh man, jolly pumpkin would be perfect except my wife basically can’t drink funky beer. Got any other suggestions in the general vicinity?  I will have a car so we’re not constrained to walking distance if need be.

And thanks!

Offline flyingbison

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2017, 08:27:58 PM »
Where you staying?

Just got back from a weekend there with the Ms. and kid.  Didn't get a chance to do much beering, except for Piece.  Did the Christkindle market, Field Museum, Piece, Pequod's, Xoco, and breakfast in the Walnut Room at Macy's.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2017, 08:54:29 PM »

Oh man, jolly pumpkin would be perfect except my wife basically can’t drink funky beer. Got any other suggestions in the general vicinity?  I will have a car so we’re not constrained to walking distance if need be.

And thanks!
Hyde Park is kind of a beer desert for good beer spots, JP only recently opened.
They do have non-funky North Peak beers there but I haven’t tried them.
https://untappd.com/v/jolly-pumpkin-pizzeria-and-brewery/6811209

You might try heading back downtown for lunch, though places maybe more crowded.
Jake Melnicks is kid friendly and has a good tap list, near Michigan Ave.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2017, 08:56:44 PM »
Where you staying?

Just got back from a weekend there with the Ms. and kid.  Didn't get a chance to do much beering, except for Piece.  Did the Christkindle market, Field Museum, Piece, Pequod's, Xoco, and breakfast in the Walnut Room at Macy's.
Not too shabby :thumbup:

Offline flyingbison

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2017, 09:09:05 PM »
Where you staying?

First time there with the kid, and her first time in a big city.  Every time we walked by a homeless person, she'd start reading their sign aloud, and then ask what some of the bigger words meant.  Led to some interesting conversations.  She liked riding the train, except for the one time it was really crowded and we had to stand near a homeless guy sleeping/passed out in the aisle.  He didn't smell very good.

Offline BryanC

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2017, 09:22:16 PM »
Where you staying?

About an hour away in Indiana. Came to town for my wife’s family’s Christmas party. 

I think we are planning to hit the christkindle market. Thanks!

Offline BryanC

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2017, 09:23:21 PM »

And thanks!
Hyde Park is kind of a beer desert for good beer spots, JP only recently opened.

You might try heading back downtown for lunch, though places maybe more crowded.

If they have non-funky beer maybe I can talk her into it. Thanks!

Offline OHLRangers

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Old Ale
  • Too much beer, too little time.
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2017, 11:17:51 PM »

And thanks!

If they have non-funky beer maybe I can talk her into it. Thanks!

Most of the North Peak/Nomad Cider line is unremarkable but surely drinkable.

Offline urbanhack

• VIP and TBS Founding Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • no manches
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2017, 07:24:54 PM »
Where you staying?

we had to stand near a homeless guy sleeping/passed out in the aisle.  He didn't smell very good.

Ghost of Christmas future?
i'm not good at putting this stuff in words but i can't see myself with anyone else except maybe urbanhack.

Offline flyingbison

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2017, 09:57:09 PM »
Where you staying?

we had to stand near a homeless guy sleeping/passed out in the aisle.  He didn't smell very good.

Ghost of Christmas future?

:sadbanana:

Offline sunscar22

• IPA
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2018, 06:32:32 PM »
I'm heading back to Chicago July 12th-17th.  My wife gave the ok to have a brewery day.  Here are ones I know about and have liked the beers I've tried from them: Half Acre, Pipeworks, Hailstorm, Revolution, Jolly Pumpkin, and Off Color.  I've heard of Piece and Polyanna but never tried any of their offerings. 

Throw out suggestions.  I'll be in the Lincoln Park area.  May make a trip down to Open Bottle and Hailstorm but not sure yet.  I'll post a plan when it gets closer incase anyone wants to meet up. 

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2018, 12:23:34 PM »
I'm heading back to Chicago July 12th-17th.  My wife gave the ok to have a brewery day.  Here are ones I know about and have liked the beers I've tried from them: Half Acre, Pipeworks, Hailstorm, Revolution, Jolly Pumpkin, and Off Color.  I've heard of Piece and Polyanna but never tried any of their offerings. 

Throw out suggestions.  I'll be in the Lincoln Park area.  May make a trip down to Open Bottle and Hailstorm but not sure yet.  I'll post a plan when it gets closer incase anyone wants to meet up.

Off Color Mousetrap is technically in Lincoln Park. It’s newer and a fun spot, not super close to other stuff besides Goose though. Hailstorm is a hike unless you’re driving or taking the metra train from downtown. They distribute cans around town. Never been out to the brewery, the cans can be hit or miss but better lately. If you’re planning a trip out that way, Imperial Oak and Pollyanna are both worth a stop.

Breweries in town i’d suggest: Corridor and Forbidden Root for haze, Dovetail for lagers and BA sour stuff, Piece is a great place to eat, then wander in Wicker Park, Links has a lot of local drafts around the corner.

In general i’d say try to hit a few places in the same area then cruise to another area with a few more places. Traveling across town can eat up time, especially out to the burbs and back.

Offline OHLRangers

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
  • Too much beer, too little time.
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2018, 08:27:07 PM »
We didn't make it there on our New Year's trip (thanks, -10 degree temps!!!) but hear Cruz Blanca is killing it. Might be a worthwhile stop, especially when you throw in Rick Bayless tacos.

Offline sunscar22

• IPA
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2018, 08:47:57 PM »

Off Color Mousetrap is technically in Lincoln Park. It’s newer and a fun spot, not super close to other stuff besides Goose though. Hailstorm is a hike unless you’re driving or taking the metra train from downtown. They distribute cans around town. Never been out to the brewery, the cans can be hit or miss but better lately. If you’re planning a trip out that way, Imperial Oak and Pollyanna are both worth a stop.

Breweries in town i’d suggest: Corridor and Forbidden Root for haze, Dovetail for lagers and BA sour stuff, Piece is a great place to eat, then wander in Wicker Park, Links has a lot of local drafts around the corner.

In general i’d say try to hit a few places in the same area then cruise to another area with a few more places. Traveling across town can eat up time, especially out to the burbs and back.

Thanks for the tips.  I want to cut down on travel as much as possible but for my one big day don't mind doing some driving if it ends up getting me somewhere worthwhile. 

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2018, 10:04:13 PM »

Thanks for the tips.  I want to cut down on travel as much as possible but for my one big day don't mind doing some driving if it ends up getting me somewhere worthwhile.
If it’s a weekend day you have free, i’d recommend getting travel out of the way early if you head out somewhere. Traffic is fairly minimal in the morning. Get where you’re going when they open and grab something to eat. If a weekday, travel late morning.

Another cluster of worthwhile spots is Beer Temple, Rev Kedzie, Metropolitan, plus a number of nearby eateries. You can bring food in to any of those places. Goes without saying, always happy to organize a TBS cornhole when anyone plans to visit. :thumbup:

Offline sunscar22

• IPA
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2018, 11:06:50 PM »

If it’s a weekend day you have free, i’d recommend getting travel out of the way early if you head out somewhere. Traffic is fairly minimal in the morning. Get where you’re going when they open and grab something to eat. If a weekday, travel late morning.

Another cluster of worthwhile spots is Beer Temple, Rev Kedzie, Metropolitan, plus a number of nearby eateries. You can bring food in to any of those places. Goes without saying, always happy to organize a TBS cornhole when anyone plans to visit. :thumbup:

Are you in the Lincoln park area?  I'd be down for a TBS meet up.  I'll work on figuring out which day works best. 

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2018, 06:25:32 PM »

Are you in the Lincoln park area?  I'd be down for a TBS meet up.  I'll work on figuring out which day works best.
A few miles from there, but transportation is easy. I'm usually up for whatever.

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Barleywine
  • If I've offended you, it made me happy.
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2018, 10:02:05 PM »

A few miles from there, but transportation is easy. I'm usually up for whatever.

Matt *delivers*

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2018, 08:08:00 AM »

Offline urbanhack

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • no manches
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2018, 11:43:56 AM »
Rumor has it there could be a hack and severstad sighting in Chicago on Friday the 13th (7/13)

:excited:
:beerbang:
i'm not good at putting this stuff in words but i can't see myself with anyone else except maybe urbanhack.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2018, 12:42:55 PM »
Rumor has it there could be a hack and severstad sighting in Chicago on Friday the 13th (7/13)

Offline flyingbison

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2018, 12:50:10 PM »

Offline sunscar22

• IPA
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2018, 01:00:37 PM »

Let's make it happen!!!

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2018, 01:11:08 PM »

Let's make it happen!!!
:thumbup:

Potentially the biggest TBS cornhole in Chicago since the pre-Great Taste Thursday many moons ago...

Offline urbanhack

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • no manches
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2018, 12:50:20 PM »
bump.

I'm still planning on Friday 7/13 to be downtown.   I know Sev is still waiting to confirm....but I'm in...and possibly for all night.  :excited: 

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2018, 02:53:44 PM »
bump.

I'm still planning on Friday 7/13 to be downtown.   I know Sev is still waiting to confirm....but I'm in...and possibly for all night.  :excited:
If you're in, i'm in :cheers:
Borrowedladder, Murphadam> hey? :popcorn:

Offline urbanhack

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • no manches
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2018, 05:20:49 PM »
I may need a place to crash that night.  I'm flying by the seat of my pants in the city until I take off for Michigan on Sunday....at least that is my plan.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2018, 05:25:25 PM »
I may need a place to crash that night.  I'm flying by the seat of my pants in the city until I take off for Michigan on Sunday....at least that is my plan.

We should finally have A/C upstairs by then, you're welcome to the guest room. :thumbup:

Offline urbanhack

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • no manches
« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2018, 05:26:23 PM »

We should finally have A/C upstairs by then, you're welcome to the guest room. :thumbup:

Awesome.   I'll know for sure by Friday.  Thank you!

Offline Severstad

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2018, 12:16:22 PM »

Any chance I could share that room with Hack? It's been a year since we shared a tent, and it was glorious.   ;)

I'm working out details, but Friday is a possibility.    :)

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2018, 11:15:29 PM »

Any chance I could share that room with Hack? It's been a year since we shared a tent, and it was glorious.   ;)

I'm working out details, but Friday is a possibility.    :)
Sure thing, keep me posted. :cheers:

Offline urbanhack

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • no manches
« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2018, 05:09:40 PM »
100% in for Friday night with the TBS boys and a spot at Matt's casa.

Offline Severstad

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2018, 05:59:57 PM »

ME, TOO!    :hifive:

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2018, 07:39:07 PM »

:excited: :scared:
Who all can meet up for a beer or 2 on Friday? :popcorn:

Offline urbanhack

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • no manches
« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2018, 12:20:04 PM »

Dave?
Dan?
A-A-Ron?
Furley?

I'd love to hit Rev Brew (either location)

Offline urbanhack

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • no manches
« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2018, 05:10:59 PM »
Rockzo might be coming

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2018, 05:45:36 PM »

Dave?
Dan?
A-A-Ron?
Furley?

I'd love to hit Rev Brew (either location)

Could pick up some tacos and meet at Rev Kedzie. They have more room to spread out usually.

Rockzo might be coming
:missing:

Last time I saw him was when Metropolitan opened their new brewery taproom last year.

Offline sunscar22

• IPA
« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2018, 09:18:54 AM »
What time is this party starting? I can start early but my wife is trying to make plans for the evening. How do I get a hold of everone?