search

Author Topic: Scratch Brewing Company  (Read 717 times)

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
    • Research page @ Lambic.info
Scratch Brewing Company
« on: July 19, 2017, 09:46:13 AM »

All hail our crunchy foraging beer overlords/lady. :ale:

So, this happened^ I'm told there will be a dedicated Scratch tap at the new Beer Temple taproom. :excited:

Will use this thread to track news for them, upcoming releases, etc. They seem to make the fest circuit, GABF, GTMW, etc. Distribution i've heard of includes IL, CO, NC... not sure where else. Keep an eye out at the Taste :thumbup:

Here's a recent article about a visit to their rural farm brewery in the woods.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
Re: Scratch Brewing Company
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 05:36:03 PM »
So I finally made it down to Scratch, it was very cool. :thumbup:
Very remote rural location, it was surreal that it was pretty busy when we showed up.

They had a great wet-hop IPA with locally grown Chinook that was just perfect. It had the ripe melon/cantaloupe/papaya thing going on that Columbus has sometimes but was way better. Other highlights included Sour Hyssop, Cedar Stout, Wild Carrot (Berliner) Weiss, and Gooseberry Saison.

Being out in the woods, there was poison ivy around the patio area and a copperhead snake poked it's head out of the flagstone stairs on our way out. They have a rustic wood fired clay/brick oven, and had an awesome margherita pizza. The sausage, chèvre, squash one was good but a little underdone. Overall though it was a nice chill place, with innovative beers and a relaxing outdoor setting.

There was a wedding and buses in the full parking lot when we got there, and expected the worst. It turns out they have a large event room separate from the taproom so we had no problems getting service. The owners were out east for a collaboration with various other breweries, Plan B and Suarez Family I think. So they had some young kids working that were nice but didn't really know much beyond what was on the menu. We left a $20 cash tip for a $45 bill and the chick just gave a deadpan "thanks". :mellow:

Unfortunately there was this yuppie douche family there that completely killed the vibe. 40 something parents trying hard to be cool and their 21 yo kids. They were loud and running around like it was their playground. At the bar they loudly asked how much it would cost to rent out the brewery, and debated opening a growler in the car on the way home. Model parenting. I lost it when one of their dipshit kids started loading 6 glasses into her bag. We were about 50 feet away, I said out loud "they sell those you know, if you want to actually support the brewery". They start debating whether or not it was stealing, and one kid weakly tried talking shit about me. We went inside and apparently they got scared and left them all behind, lol.

Offline borrowedladder

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Double IPA
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 02:34:06 PM »
Very remote rural location, it was surreal that it was pretty busy when we showed up.

They had a great wet-hop IPA with locally grown Chinook that was just perfect. It had the ripe melon/cantaloupe/papaya thing going on that Columbus has sometimes but was way better. Other highlights included Sour Hyssop, Cedar Stout, Wild Carrot (Berliner) Weiss, and Gooseberry Saison.

Being out in the woods, there was poison ivy around the patio area and a copperhead snake poked it's head out of the flagstone stairs on our way out. They have a rustic wood fired clay/brick oven, and had an awesome margherita pizza. The sausage, chèvre, squash one was good but a little underdone. Overall though it was a nice chill place, with innovative beers and a relaxing outdoor setting.

There was a wedding and buses in the full parking lot when we got there, and expected the worst. It turns out they have a large event room separate from the taproom so we had no problems getting service. The owners were out east for a collaboration with various other breweries, Plan B and Suarez Family I think. So they had some young kids working that were nice but didn't really know much beyond what was on the menu. We left a $20 cash tip for a $45 bill and the chick just gave a deadpan "thanks". :mellow:

Unfortunately there was this yuppie douche family there that completely killed the vibe. 40 something parents trying hard to be cool and their 21 yo kids. They were loud and running around like it was their playground. At the bar they loudly asked how much it would cost to rent out the brewery, and debated opening a growler in the car on the way home. Model parenting. I lost it when one of their dipshit kids started loading 6 glasses into her bag. We were about 50 feet away, I said out loud "they sell those you know, if you want to actually support the brewery". They start debating whether or not it was stealing, and one kid weakly tried talking shit about me. We went inside and apparently they got scared and left them all behind, lol.

Maybe she was deadpan because you kept referring to her as a chick.

As for the thieving family that was awesome emerge!

Offline braconid

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Old Ale
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 04:42:29 PM »

Thanks for letting me know.  I live down that way, you know...  :mellow:

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 09:36:32 PM »

Maybe she was deadpan because you kept referring to her as a chick.

As for the thieving family that was awesome emerge!
I didn't call her a chick or ma'am, that would be weird.

Thanks for letting me know.  I live down that way, you know...  :mellow:
It would've been cool to meet up there if I could plan ahead. :bag: It was sort of an on the fly, on the way home, now or never bucket list kinda thing. It was a harrowing drive on dark country roads to Mt. Vernon.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 03:32:28 PM »

speaking of rustic af breweries...

Offline ntz08

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2017, 02:15:03 PM »
had 3 or 4 different beers from these guys last week. very cool stuff.

I may or may not have used the terms "crunchy" and "hipster" when talking to the crunchy hipster who was pouring at the tasting.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2017, 12:06:46 AM »
had 3 or 4 different beers from these guys last week. very cool stuff.

I may or may not have used the terms "crunchy" and "hipster" when talking to the crunchy hipster who was pouring at the tasting.
:lol: most likely apt terminology. I think they're doing pretty cool stuff too :thumbup:

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2017, 12:18:18 PM »
Got to meet the brewers last night, they did a talk and Q&A at Beer Temple. :thumbup:

Very knowledgeable and down to earth folks. They did a wild ale with toasted hickory bark, toasted oak bark, and wild cherry bark. Great woodsy flavors from the hickory & oak, a nice tartness with some tannic cherry skin. Pretty innovative stuff, that was my favorite of their "ingredient series" that included roots, flowers, bark, and leaves.

They forage and grow most of their ingredients, and buy malt from a micro-maltster in Indiana. Interestingly they don't do any spontaneous beer yet, but said they were looking into how to build a coolship. They let their beer naturally sour with lacto and also use a house sourdough culture, and have barrels with naturally occurring Brett. Non-wild beers are hopped to some degree to prevent sourness, they said. They haven't put out a dry-hopped sour ale yet, but they should.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2018, 08:55:57 PM »
The Fermenting Ecosystem: Scratch Brewing In Ava, Illinois

"For a collaboration called Stein Beer with the Austin, Texas-based brewery Jester King, they constructed an oak puncheon with a false bottom made out of willow branches woven together with string.

Using this contraption, the two breweries ensured the stein beer never touched modern stainless steel. To boil the beer Scratch and Jester King used a German technique of throwing hot rocks into the wort. Kleidon had to gather a special type of granite from Missouri that could sustain high temperatures without exploding.

To mash into the oak barrel, Josephson and Kleidon placed a layer of those granite rocks underneath the branches to hold them in the bottom of the puncheon followed by another layer of hot granite, water, and grain. By building a spigot in the bottom of the barrel they could transfer the wort out quite efficiently."

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2018, 12:35:22 PM »

"For a collaboration called Stein Beer with the Austin, Texas-based brewery Jester King, they constructed an oak puncheon with a false bottom made out of willow branches woven together with string.

Using this contraption, the two breweries ensured the stein beer never touched modern stainless steel. To boil the beer Scratch and Jester King used a German technique of throwing hot rocks into the wort. Kleidon had to gather a special type of granite from Missouri that could sustain high temperatures without exploding.

To mash into the oak barrel, Josephson and Kleidon placed a layer of those granite rocks underneath the branches to hold them in the bottom of the puncheon followed by another layer of hot granite, water, and grain. By building a spigot in the bottom of the barrel they could transfer the wort out quite efficiently."

Sounds cool and all, but this just screams "how to make an expensive beer that doesn't justify the cost".

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2018, 05:43:02 PM »

Sounds cool and all, but this just screams "how to make an expensive beer that doesn't justify the cost".
Maybe? I think they just have a radical approach and think more experimentally. They're constantly trying new things, not all are amazing, but 9/10 times they are unique. They were making steinbier and wood-fired beers since the homebrewing days though, that's not a gimmick. Jester King's beers are more expensive, to the point I don't buy them often. Scratch is sporadic but they're usually worth the price.

Offline thewimperoo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Ale
  • Commit to the Indian
    • TBS Blog
Dan

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2018, 09:17:10 AM »
https://www.scratchbeer.com/single-post/2018/02/04/2017-Scratch-Beers-in-Review

:thumbup:

90 beers is a lot to rotate through in 1 year :o

Another new building we were able to put to good use this year was our on-site smoker, a turn-of-the-century ice box that we have used for experimental smoke tests on rye bread, grain, green coffee beans for a collaboration with Dark Matter Coffee, even eggplant for our pizzas. We've loved the results and look forward to using it to smoke even more ingredients in 2018.

:excited: :joint: :smokin: :smoke: :thumbup:

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2018, 10:13:01 AM »
America’s Coolest Microbrewery Is in Southwest Illinois

The article glosses over what "coolest microbrewery" entails, I guess the fact they use a lot of foraged ingredients.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2018, 11:27:11 PM »
Had the Scratch/White Rooster Rooted in Friendschip recently and it was good. A wild ale with turmeric that wasn’t overly spiced and had a nice rustic woody tartness.

What stole the show for me was a White Rooster wild saison, Elliptic. A lot of pineapple from Brett Claisenii, and a bunch of oaky vanilla. They have a few others floating around at the moment that i’d try based on that one.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2018, 03:16:38 PM »
The brewers will be at the Beer Temple tonight with new beers... :pickle: including a fermented acorn beer. :popcorn:

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2018, 12:03:25 PM »
The brewers will be at the Beer Temple tonight with new beers... :pickle: including a fermented acorn beer. :popcorn:
This was...not good. Smelled like mothballs, but thankfully didn't taste like them. Did have a fair amount of bitterness.
Ash was the best one, brewed with ash leaves and cedar, and mashed in a puncheon. Huge grapefruit and woody notes.

Here's the latest Scratch article, these seem to come out pretty often now...

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2018, 11:35:30 AM »
As much as I love these guys, the latest bottle prices have been bonkers. $23-24 for a 500mL of "barrel aged apple ale".
It tasted pretty much the same as a $9 750mL from Spain, albeit with less funk and barrel character. :mellow:
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 01:12:52 PM by emerge »

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2019, 01:35:17 PM »
Came across this new place recently: Ebb & Flow Fermentations in Cape Girardeau, MO.

It's about an hour south of Scratch, "over the river and through the woods" as my Grandpa used to say. It would make a nice little tour of that area, along with White Rooster in Sparta. :drive: