search

Author Topic: Milwaukee  (Read 877 times)

Offline Steve Tasker

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Old Ale
  • **OFFICIAL Fruit King of TBS**
Milwaukee
« on: July 11, 2017, 10:31:08 AM »
There doesn't really appear to be any Milwaukee-specific thread here, other than some scattered ones.

I'm trying to formulate plans for my Thursday drive day out to the Great Taste.  The Brewers are at home on that Thursday.  I've been to a bunch of MLB parks but never Miller Park, so I'm considering checking it out.

Dinner recommendations?  Bar recommendations for pre- and post-game?  It looks like Miller Park is kinda out of downtown, is it easy to get there via Uber/public transport or should I drive?  It is worth it?  Is Milwaukee a terrible place to visit?  Neighborhoods to exploit/avoid? 
helping Stephanie deliver sausage to the unit since 2010

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Geuze
  • signed life away on the internet totally worth it
Re: Milwaukee
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 10:47:09 AM »
Milwaukee is great. right up your alley, i'd bet.

my experience is largely with the east side & downtown. that said, Miller Park is a quick and easy drive from anywhere in Milwaukee really. it's right off the highway not in some isolated, far flung part of town or way out of town.

cool park. i don't have any MLB parks to compare it to but i really liked it on last visit.

generally, i'd say stay nearer the lake (east side or near south side, also known as Bayview). they're going to be the younger/hipper parts of town. the heart of downtown is largely a desert. 3rd ward (south downtown) is cool with the changeover to make it a shopping/entertainment district.

there are a bunch of good/great beer spots to get to. though i'd defer to Dave or bison for those recommendations.

tons of great food everywhere. depending on your tastebuds. Milwaukee does cracker crust pizza well. Oakland Gyros is a must/late night drunk stop (just keep your left up). lots of excellent mom & pop type places all over. corner pubs abound.

Quote from: urbanhack
my head was buried in shuke's tits.
TITS help you hit home runs.

Offline Steve Tasker

• Old Ale
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 11:14:03 AM »
My only concern with driving to the game is that I may not want to drive if I have a few pops.  I think my general strategy would be to get in ~late afternoon, check into the hotel, get some dinner, beer or two, head to the game, head back to the hotel area, maybe a few more beers....wake up in the morning, check out, grab some breakfast somewhere and make the move to New Glarus / Madison or whatever's going on that day.

Offline flyingbison

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 11:21:43 AM »
Most of the time I spend in MKE is for "family" get-togethers, so I hardly ever get to go anywhere for fun. 

There are lots of new breweries/brewpubs, most of which I know nothing about.  Good City was decent.  Definitely avoid Water Street Brewery.  I've heard that the tour at Lakefront Brewing is great, if you're into that kind of thing.

Good beer bars include The Landmark, Romans Pub, Sugar Maple, and a group of 3 similar(ish) restaurants (owned by the same company) - Cafe Centraal, Cafe Hollander, and Cafe Benelux. 

I also like Uber Tap Room (part of Wisconsin Cheese Mart) and the Old German Beer Hall, both on Old World 3rd Street. While you are there, you can pop into Usinger's for some sausages.  Mader's is right there, too, if you are interested in German food.  Had a very bad experience at Ale Asylum Riverhouse, so I would not recommend that place. 

If you like Ethiopian, go to Alem Ethiopian Village for dinner. 

Definitely do not have pizza in MKE.  You will be disappointed. 

Offline flyingbison

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 11:22:40 AM »
My only concern with driving to the game is that I may not want to drive if I have a few pops.  I think my general strategy would be to get in ~late afternoon, check into the hotel, get some dinner, beer or two, head to the game, head back to the hotel area, maybe a few more beers....wake up in the morning, check out, grab some breakfast somewhere and make the move to New Glarus / Madison or whatever's going on that day.

Do you know where you are staying yet?

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 12:18:59 PM »

false

it's one of the great pizza cities we have :hot:

just have to like cracker crust to get the good stuff

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2017, 12:20:03 PM »

don't think that Uber would be a problem at all if you're near the city center/east side, for sure.

Offline flyingbison

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2017, 12:30:23 PM »

false

THAT'S NOT REAL PIZZA, GUY

« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 12:32:26 PM by flyingbison »

Offline Steve Tasker

• Old Ale
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2017, 12:46:24 PM »
I don't have any particular plans, no hotel room booked or anything at this point.

I was just thinking, I've done the Thursday night Chicago thing before, I have some friends there, but I've never been to Milwaukee and it just feels like a place I've never had a reason to visit.  And I've been to 8 MLB parks, Milwaukee isn't one of them, and the Brewers just happen to be at home that night.

Offline JJ

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Barleywine
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2017, 12:59:19 PM »
What hotel? A lot will have shuttles for Brewer games. Might want to check into that.
There are lots of new breweries/brewpubs, most of which I know nothing about.  Good City was decent.  Definitely avoid Water Street Brewery.  I've heard that the tour at Lakefront Brewing is great, if you're into that kind of thing.

Good beer bars include The Landmark, Romans Pub, Sugar Maple, and a group of 3 similar(ish) restaurants (owned by the same company) - Cafe Centraal, Cafe Hollander, and Cafe Benelux. 

I also like Uber Tap Room (part of Wisconsin Cheese Mart) and the Old German Beer Hall, both on Old World 3rd Street. While you are there, you can pop into Usinger's for some sausages.  Mader's is right there, too, if you are interested in German food.  Had a very bad experience at Ale Asylum Riverhouse, so I would not recommend that place. 

If you like Ethiopian, go to Alem Ethiopian Village for dinner. 
All this :thumbup:
I recommend taking the 10 (or is it 15?) bus into Tosa from the game and hitting bars on State Street (including Hollander) but I'm biased.

As for pizza, Bison is the only person I know of- local or transplant- that hasn't found good pizza in Milwaukee. :shrug:
The Force is what gives a brewer his power. It's an energy field created by yeast. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It converts polysaccharides to ethyl alcohol.

Offline Initiative

• TBS Founding Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Quadrupel
  • Beer Slap Bob
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2017, 01:02:23 PM »
For bars around Miller park, I am kind of partial to the 4'th Base. It can be a bit controversial in the fact that the place looks like a dive bar but charges 4 star prices for food (and the fact that they have no written menu/published prices, so you may want to ask before they walk away with your order). But I have never not had a good to great meal there(Parmesan fries and onion rings are great), all the old Milwaukee Braves memorabilia and the fact that a scene in major league was filmed there. They will cook anything there from Chicken tenders and Burgers to $100 + steaks.

http://www.the4thbase.com/
Thread killer extraordinaire!
00:21:17 ‹braconid› I'm a fan of little tits, but not silver dollar pancakes with rancid butter nipples
00:21:31 ‹nchrist› lol
00:21:42 ‹Steve Tasker› i'm not even kidding, i'd hit it.....a lot

Offline JJ

• VIP Member
  • Barleywine
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2017, 01:11:15 PM »
This place is fairly short ride if you want something nicer for dinner.
Great small place with awesome food. Get a seat on the patio.
The Force is what gives a brewer his power. It's an energy field created by yeast. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It converts polysaccharides to ethyl alcohol.

Offline Steve Tasker

• Old Ale
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2017, 01:13:29 PM »
What hotel? A lot will have shuttles for Brewer games. Might want to check into that.
This is very helpful, I will have to look into this.  Do you know of any in particular?

Offline OHLRangers

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Old Ale
  • Too much beer, too little time.
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2017, 01:22:14 PM »
I don't have any particular plans, no hotel room booked or anything at this point.

I was just thinking, I've done the Thursday night Chicago thing before, I have some friends there, but I've never been to Milwaukee and it just feels like a place I've never had a reason to visit.  And I've been to 8 MLB parks, Milwaukee isn't one of them, and the Brewers just happen to be at home that night.

I do like the idea of the Brew Crew game, may have to look into that ourselves. Haven't taken in a game at Miller Park either. My MKE time has been minimal, just a couple years of coming in for a weekend to watch a couple games. I think I hit Milwaukee Brat House between games the one time I had to go to Kern Center rather than Petit in West Allis. It was pretty good.

To be contrarian, when you mention having done "Chicago" the Thursday pre-Taste in the past, are you speaking of "the city" itself? I tend to avoid in town (hate the traffic and price with the fire of 1000 Hells), preferring to hit the outer burbs (and that has been our modus operandi pretty much every year for that Thursday - granted either Dan-O or Dr. Bug have hosted some kind of get-together). Nice hotels at dirt-cheap rates 99% of the time, a growing number of high-quality spots have opened in the last several years and some tremendous food places. @thewimperoo has never let us down with spot-on recommendations for both beer and chow.

Speaking of rec's, get yer ass into my B-lo thread :-)

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
    • Research page @ Lambic.info
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2017, 03:10:03 PM »

false

Two words: Classic Slice

I haven't been up there in years, but really enjoyed CS, Palm Tavern, Romans, and Sugar Maple on the Kinnickinnic strip.
Nessun Dorma was really cool.

There are lots of new breweries/brewpubs, most of which I know nothing about. 
This. The only one I can strongly recommend is Black Husky, based on what i've had at the Taste and from a brewer friend in MKE.

Offline JJ

• VIP Member
  • Barleywine
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2017, 03:34:26 PM »
This is very helpful, I will have to look into this.  Do you know of any in particular?
Not off the top of my head. Never had to utilize the service. Just know they exist.

When I lived there it was a 15 minute walk which was nice.

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2017, 03:59:15 PM »

i've got a love/hate for Milwaukee

so many things to like.. so many things that are broken. but that's more long-term if you live there stuff.

in summer, it's a great town. so much to do. there's a festival damn near every weekend on the Summerfest grounds right there on the lake. tons of street festivals all over town, etc. State Fair is Aug 3 - 13 this year so there's that if you're so inclined.

lots of cool architecture. the lake, the river, the food and beer. the Brewers. the weather is usually great all summer.

i've heard from lots of people that they are surprised by how cool Milwaukee is after they visit. it's laid back and people like to party.

Offline JJ

• VIP Member
  • Barleywine
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2017, 04:00:40 PM »

so many things to like.. so many things that are broken. but that's more long-term if you live there stuff.

in summer, it's a great town. so much to do. there's a festival damn near every weekend on the Summerfest grounds right there on the lake. tons of street festivals all over town, etc. State Fair is Aug 3 - 13 this year so there's that if you're so inclined.

lots of cool architecture. the lake, the river, the food and beer. the Brewers. the weather is usually great all summer.

i've heard from lots of people that they are surprised by how cool Milwaukee is after they visit. it's laid back and people like to party.
I miss it

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2017, 04:01:48 PM »
me too but it's probably for the best that i don't live there anymore :unsure:

Offline JJ

• VIP Member
  • Barleywine
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2017, 04:37:12 PM »
me too but it's probably for the best that i don't live there anymore :unsure:
Same here :lol:

Offline flyingbison

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2017, 09:29:44 PM »

Pete > MKE is the Buffalo of the midwest.

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2017, 10:01:57 PM »
sounds about right

eta: i'm 95% certain Rude was in Milwaukee not that long ago

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Barleywine
  • If I've offended you, it made me happy.
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2017, 09:41:52 AM »
i've heard from lots of people that they are surprised by how cool Milwaukee is after they visit.

It definitely caught me by surprise.  Had extremely low expectations.

Offline Steve Tasker

• Old Ale
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2017, 09:42:15 AM »
My plans changed entirely over the course of like 12 hours and I will now be in Chicago that Thursday rather than Milwaukee.  Someday, Milwaukee....someday....

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2017, 09:43:03 AM »
My plans changed entirely over the course of like 12 hours and I will now be in Chicago that Thursday rather than Milwaukee.  Someday, Milwaukee....someday....

:cry:

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2017, 09:56:01 AM »
:excited:
let's get drunk and ride trains! :lol:

Offline Steve Tasker

• Old Ale
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2017, 10:10:23 AM »
:excited:
let's get drunk and ride trains! :lol:
That's a possibility.  There's a Bears preseason game that night, cheap upper deck tickets might be calling my name too, maybe.

Offline flyingbison

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2017, 01:02:12 PM »

:cry:

I blame your damned cracker-crust pizza.

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2017, 01:14:21 PM »
words hurt

Offline flyingbison

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2017, 02:16:48 PM »

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2017, 11:03:31 AM »
Welcome To Cleveland

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously though, an MKE trip is looonng overdue. Need to check out a few things... Landmark, Burnhearts, etc. Haven't been there in 8-9 years :mellow:

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2017, 04:36:18 PM »

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2018, 11:15:25 AM »

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2018, 11:20:56 AM »
Palm is for sale
:(

surely someone will buy it and keep it going? such a  classic joint, would be sad to see it go.

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2018, 09:28:54 AM »
Palm is for sale

surely someone will buy it and keep it going? such a  classic joint, would be sad to see it go.

the article says that the neighborhood is gentrifying (more or less) so i'd guess someone will buy it and maintain a business. whether it stays Palm or not.....

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2018, 10:14:37 AM »
Palm is for sale

the article says that the neighborhood is gentrifying (more or less) so i'd guess someone will buy it and maintain a business. whether it stays Palm or not.....
I mean, it's pretty iconic but I realize places do come and go. Wonder if Sugar Maple is staying put (same owner).