search

Author Topic: RangerDanger duo hitting Buffalo, Philly and most of Maryland - July 17-25(ish)  (Read 767 times)

Offline OHLRangers

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Old Ale
  • Too much beer, too little time.
Time for my annual trip to Buffalo for the summer USA Hockey Select-15 Festival. Will be arriving the evening of Monday July 17th, heading out after the morning games of Wednesday July 19th.

Unlike most years, Donna will be joining me on this run. After leaving Buffalo we'll be heading east for my family reunion, which will be hosted by my cousin's family in Solomon's, MD (Fri 7/21- Sun 7/23). Since we have a couple days to get from WNY to SMD, we decided on a stop in Philly for good food, beer and finding planted relatives. Unfortunately warriorsoul (and Tom's buddy Damico, who I got to know at TBEFest three years or so ago) is out of town with the family while we will be in town. That said I think I have a good bead on what we want to do while there. Willing to hear any good suggestions, of course.

Solomon's is new to us, doesn't seem like a lot going on but all things being equal won't have a ton of time either (maybe a couple hours Saturday the 21st). Possibly running over to Fredericksburg, VA (an hour-ish away, a few breweries that look ok like Red Dragon and Adventure) for that time. Would look at DC but want to spend more than a couple hours there. Any thoughts from those who are more familiar with that area are appreciated.

After leaving Solomon's Sunday, we are talking about going up in the Hagerstown area for a couple days. I know it's not the greatest spot, but that's where my peeps set up camp prior to coming west to the Rust Belt. Likely going to Antietam Monday (family fought there, since their land was basically part of the battle grounds) and the Historical Society in Hagerstown Tuesday.

If anyone has ideas or can meet up with us in any of these headline-grabbing areas, let me know. I'm going to be off for pretty much the rest of the summer due to elbow nerve surgery (performed last Monday) so we're using this trip as our vacation for now. Definitely doing Great Taste as well, but looking like that will probably be the normal Thursday - Monday run.

Offline bakes

• VIP and TBS Founding Member
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Barleywine
  • Alcospeakerholic
Buffalo - Big Ditch, CBW, 12 Gates in Williamsville, and 42 North in East Aurora are all worth going to.

Prison City in Auburn, just west of Syracuse, is supposed to be great.  And I will be in that area the 18th, dammit!

Philly - Earth Bread+Brewery.  Run by Tom Baker, who used to own Heavyweight.
My friends say I'm like doing the laundry and forgetting the bleach: I'm not as bright as I could be.

Gator to Pols: I bet you wish the last wedding you went to was the one right before yours....

Offline BryanC

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Old Ale
Also in Philly - even though you've had their beers 12000 times, Victory is worth a visit.  Really nice place and Storm King on cask fresh from the source is out of this world.

VA - Why Fredericksburg?  Seems to me there is more stuff worth visiting either in the DC burbs or further south here in RVA.

Offline OHLRangers

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
Also in Philly - even though you've had their beers 12000 times, Victory is worth a visit.  Really nice place and Storm King on cask fresh from the source is out of this world.

VA - Why Fredericksburg?  Seems to me there is more stuff worth visiting either in the DC burbs or further south here in RVA.

Fredericksburg looked like the closest spot to Solomon's that may have a place or two worth looking into. As stated, I just don't think we'd have the time to travel to Richmond (would be my preference, frankly) to do it right. Same with DC, too much to do, too little time. Convince me otherwise :-)

Offline OHLRangers

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
Buffalo - Big Ditch, CBW, 12 Gates in Williamsville, and 42 North in East Aurora are all worth going to.

Prison City in Auburn, just west of Syracuse, is supposed to be great.  And I will be in that area the 18th, dammit!

Philly - Earth Bread+Brewery.  Run by Tom Baker, who used to own Heavyweight.

:cheers:

Earth B+B was on the list for certain.

Offline BryanC

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale

Fredericksburg looked like the closest spot to Solomon's that may have a place or two worth looking into. As stated, I just don't think we'd have the time to travel to Richmond (would be my preference, frankly) to do it right. Same with DC, too much to do, too little time. Convince me otherwise :-)

Ah, I had never heard of Solomons, MD (and didn't google it) before I responded.  Makes more sense now.

How much time are you going to have?  Personally, I'd hit Mad Fox in Falls Church and Port City in Alexandria before I bothered with anything in Fredericksburg.  Those should be about the same drive time as Fburg, but it will depend on time of day and therefore traffic.

I have to admit I haven't spent a lot of time there.  If you're going to do Fburg, I think I've heard decent things about Spencer Devon, but there isn't much that people are talking about locally.

If you get lucky on the timing, you might consider hitting Aslin in Herndon for cans, but it seems they've closed their tasting room and are only doing can releases.  Not sure how much of a shitshow that would be.  I know they're getting a lot of buzz around here though.

There is also some good stuff around Dulles Airport - Lost Rhino, Ocelot, and Old Ox (I think a TBSer has some relation to one of these?) - but that's getting close to 2 hours in drive time.

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Geuze
  • signed life away on the internet totally worth it
(I think a TBSer has some relation to one of these?)    Ocelot

:thumbup:

@sebowski
Quote from: urbanhack
my head was buried in shuke's tits.
TITS help you hit home runs.

Offline BryanC

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
(I think a TBSer has some relation to one of these?)    Ocelot

:thumbup:

@sebowski

:hifive:  though he hasn't been around in a while.

Offline OHLRangers

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale

Ah, I had never heard of Solomons, MD (and didn't google it) before I responded.  Makes more sense now.

How much time are you going to have?  Personally, I'd hit Mad Fox in Falls Church and Port City in Alexandria before I bothered with anything in Fredericksburg.  Those should be about the same drive time as Fburg, but it will depend on time of day and therefore traffic.

I have to admit I haven't spent a lot of time there.  If you're going to do Fburg, I think I've heard decent things about Spencer Devon, but there isn't much that people are talking about locally.

If you get lucky on the timing, you might consider hitting Aslin in Herndon for cans, but it seems they've closed their tasting room and are only doing can releases.  Not sure how much of a shitshow that would be.  I know they're getting a lot of buzz around here though.

There is also some good stuff around Dulles Airport - Lost Rhino, Ocelot, and Old Ox (I think a TBSer has some relation to one of these?) - but that's getting close to 2 hours in drive time.

It will be Saturday the 22nd, and likely we'll have about five or six hours max including drive time. So can't spend 4+ on the road, why I was looking at an hour-ish at the most for my radius. Not sure how bad DC area roads are on Saturday early afternoons in July, but don't want to get into fighting traffic for most of our free time. That said, I know the NoVa/DC scene is far better than F-burg, just wasn't sure if we could make it around up there in our time frame. I'll do some looking at various DC-area places you've mentioned as alternatives.  :cheers:

Offline Steve Tasker

• Old Ale
  • **OFFICIAL Fruit King of TBS**
Where will you be staying in Buffalo?  Out in Amherst as usual?  My beer/brewery rankings:

- Community Beer Works - A+ - will be closed when you're here so it doesn't matter
- Big Ditch - A+ - really nice place with very good beer, highly recommend.  Various styles.  Good food.
- Thin Man - A- - beer can be a little hit-or-miss but when done right, very good.  Heavy focus on IPAs and usually a sour or two.  Food is supposed to be good but pricey.  Located in the Elmwood Village.
- 12 Gates - A-/B+ - beer is usually pretty good but nothing extraordinary.  Might be a good location for you if you're out in Amherst, because it's buried in the back of some sort of office/industrial plaza in Williamsville
- 42 North - A-/B+ - a great option if you're in East Aurora, but I probably wouldn't drive all the way out there just for this
- Resurgence - B/B+ - A+++++ location, beautiful space, fantastic outdoor beer garden.  Beer leaves a little to be desired but has been getting much better.
- Gene McCarthy's - B - you and I have gone here before.  It's fine, but probably not something you need to do again.
- Flying Bison - B- - the brewery, not the person.  Nice little space, certainly a hell of a lot nicer than the old place.  Beer is fine but nothing great.  No food.
- Pearl Street - C - beautiful place, meh beer.  Convenient downtown location

There are plenty of other breweries but they're either not worth going to or so far out of the way that they're not really on your radar.

If you're interested in coming downtown on Tuesday after your games end, not sure what time, outside of my work they have a "food truck rodeo" from like 5-8.  Worth checking out to walk around and have a quick beer.  From there it's about a 1-minute walk to Flying Bison for another one.  Hop in the car and drive to Big Ditch, maybe a 5-7 minute drive into downtown and eat there and have a few beers.  Or just skip it and check out either Liberty Hound or Resurgence - assuming the weather is nice - and then head to Big Ditch for dinner and beer.  I should be around Monday and Tuesday to hang out, let me know what you're thinking.
helping Stephanie deliver sausage to the unit since 2010

Offline thickfreakness

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
Big Ditch was $$$$$

Offline OHLRangers

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
Where will you be staying in Buffalo?  Out in Amherst as usual?  My beer/brewery rankings:

- Community Beer Works - A+ - will be closed when you're here so it doesn't matter
- Big Ditch - A+ - really nice place with very good beer, highly recommend.  Various styles.  Good food.
- Thin Man - A- - beer can be a little hit-or-miss but when done right, very good.  Heavy focus on IPAs and usually a sour or two.  Food is supposed to be good but pricey.  Located in the Elmwood Village.
- 12 Gates - A-/B+ - beer is usually pretty good but nothing extraordinary.  Might be a good location for you if you're out in Amherst, because it's buried in the back of some sort of office/industrial plaza in Williamsville
- 42 North - A-/B+ - a great option if you're in East Aurora, but I probably wouldn't drive all the way out there just for this
- Resurgence - B/B+ - A+++++ location, beautiful space, fantastic outdoor beer garden.  Beer leaves a little to be desired but has been getting much better.
- Gene McCarthy's - B - you and I have gone here before.  It's fine, but probably not something you need to do again.
- Flying Bison - B- - the brewery, not the person.  Nice little space, certainly a hell of a lot nicer than the old place.  Beer is fine but nothing great.  No food.
- Pearl Street - C - beautiful place, meh beer.  Convenient downtown location

There are plenty of other breweries but they're either not worth going to or so far out of the way that they're not really on your radar.

If you're interested in coming downtown on Tuesday after your games end, not sure what time, outside of my work they have a "food truck rodeo" from like 5-8.  Worth checking out to walk around and have a quick beer.  From there it's about a 1-minute walk to Flying Bison for another one.  Hop in the car and drive to Big Ditch, maybe a 5-7 minute drive into downtown and eat there and have a few beers.  Or just skip it and check out either Liberty Hound or Resurgence - assuming the weather is nice - and then head to Big Ditch for dinner and beer.  I should be around Monday and Tuesday to hang out, let me know what you're thinking.

We'll be staying near the airport (not too far from 12 Gates, Charlie the Butcher, etc). No games Monday, just depends on when we get into town (planning to leave the 'hood late morning, we'll see how that goes lol). D will be at the library most of Tuesday. Wednesday games start at 8am, get done around noon so we'll head east then.

Tuesday I should be getting out of the rink around 7:30-8ish (last games start at 6pm if they're on time). Since it's Donna's first trip with me into Buffalo, want to do as many "classic" things as possible. We probably will only end up with four meals over the three days (we generally eat two meals a day), with maybe an ice cream stop somewhere in between.

I'll talk with Donna and see what she's thinking. May be best to do a Monday night get-together, that will force us to get on the road at a decent time ;D

Offline BryanC

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale

It will be Saturday the 22nd, and likely we'll have about five or six hours max including drive time. So can't spend 4+ on the road, why I was looking at an hour-ish at the most for my radius. Not sure how bad DC area roads are on Saturday early afternoons in July, but don't want to get into fighting traffic for most of our free time. That said, I know the NoVa/DC scene is far better than F-burg, just wasn't sure if we could make it around up there in our time frame. I'll do some looking at various DC-area places you've mentioned as alternatives.  :cheers:

Pretty much nothing within an hour of there.  Fredericksburg is 1.5.  Fburg may be a safer bet because you don't have to go anywhere near DC, so traffic might be better.

Offline bakes

• Barleywine
  • Alcospeakerholic
I will second Mad Fox.  The owner, Bill Madden, brewed the best Scottish ale I have ever drank (and ohhh did I ever drink the hell out if it!), has shown up at Great Taste a couple of times, and the food is solid.
My friends say I'm like doing the laundry and forgetting the bleach: I'm not as bright as I could be.

Gator to Pols: I bet you wish the last wedding you went to was the one right before yours....

Offline Steve Tasker

• Old Ale
We'll be staying near the airport (not too far from 12 Gates, Charlie the Butcher, etc). No games Monday, just depends on when we get into town (planning to leave the 'hood late morning, we'll see how that goes lol). D will be at the library most of Tuesday. Wednesday games start at 8am, get done around noon so we'll head east then.

Tuesday I should be getting out of the rink around 7:30-8ish (last games start at 6pm if they're on time). Since it's Donna's first trip with me into Buffalo, want to do as many "classic" things as possible. We probably will only end up with four meals over the three days (we generally eat two meals a day), with maybe an ice cream stop somewhere in between.

I'll talk with Donna and see what she's thinking. May be best to do a Monday night get-together, that will force us to get on the road at a decent time ;D
Monday works fine for me, just let me know what you're thinking.  I can meet you guys wherever, in the city or out in Williamsville.  Ted's on Transit is literally a 2-minute drive from 12 Gates if you guys wanted to do that.  It doesn't get much more "classic Buffalo" than Ted's.

If you're not getting out of your games until closer to 8 on Tuesday, it might be worth checking out 12 Gates on Monday just so you can have a few minutes to sit and relax.  Their website says they close at 10 but I wonder if they might close a little early on Monday/Tuesday just because it's not really a happening, trendy spot for people bar-hopping.  I think they usually do specials and casks/one-offs on Mondays too, but not 100% sure because I've never actually been there on a Monday.

Up to you, just let me know.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 11:18:18 AM by Steve Tasker »

Offline OHLRangers

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
So after a bit of discussion last evening, we've decided to do a small alteration. Instead of hitting Fredericksburg or DC on Saturday (during some down-time with my family reunion)  we've decided to travel Sunday to Hagerstown via VA. So the likelihood of skipping F'burg is high, with DC-burb stuff in play.

Do want to avoid the worst of the traffic DC has to offer, so looking to stay as far out as possible. Looking at Aslin, Mad Fox, Port City, Oscelot...going to play it by ear depending on lots of variables.

As to earlier in the week, PepperPete time should be happening Monday evening.  :pickle:

Offline BryanC

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
FYI - the food at Mad Fox is as good as the beer.  I'd try to be there for a meal, if you can.  Also, they have a parking garage (free) underground which makes visiting the place a lot easier when the neighborhood is busy than it otherwise would be.

Looks like Aslin is only open Sun from 12-4.  No idea what the situation will be there, I haven't made it up there yet.

Enjoy the trip!

Offline bakes

• Barleywine
  • Alcospeakerholic
The food at Mad Fox is hella good. There and Ocelot are solid stops.  I will ask Shang's brother Warren about what else is good out that way. :cheers:

Offline bakes

• Barleywine
  • Alcospeakerholic
Warren recommends Mustang Sally, Solace, Lost Rhino and Old Ox. Also there are a number around Purcellville including Corcoran and a couple of others if you take Route 7 South

Offline ntz08

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Quadrupel
homebrewclub did a bus trip to philly yesterday and we paid a visit to Evil Genius and St. Benjamin in Fishtown and 2nd Story in old city.

the only one of the three i can really recommend is St. Benjamin as they had the largest taplist and the quality of all the beers was easily the best of the three.

Evil genius and 2nd Story were both cool places but i've never thought much of their beers and still don't. I did enjoy the utopian blaster (session ale), #adulting and Shut up, Meg.

Between EG and St. Benjamin, there's also a craft vodka distillery, Stateside, with a cocktail lounge that several of our group rather enjoyed, but I did not visit.

We stopped in briefly at Eulogy (slightly disappointed in their list that day) which is across the street from 2nd story,  and then finished up at Monk's, which was excellent, as always.

Offline BryanC

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
So where'd you end up?

Offline OHLRangers

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
Everywhere?  :lol:

Met up with Petey in Buffalo for Ted's Hot Dogs and 12 Gates beers on the Monday we hit the road. That was the lone beery spot for us in WNY, as I was in the rink and Donna was in the library doing genealogy research. Headed toward SE PA after I finished with my tournament Wednesday afternoon - with a detour to Lockport, NY for some fabulous ice cream at Lake Effect Artisan Ice Cream, right on the Erie Canal. If you're anywhere close and like ice cream, do yourself a favor and stop!

Did some grave searching in Upper Darby (sounds so nice, was the 'hood of hoods) on Thursday morning/afternoon in sweltering heat so cut it short (cemetery, which we found out was donated by my 9th GGF, had about one in five stones that were actually legible so it was pretty fruitless anyway). Decided we would be better served drinking beer instead. Hit Iron Hill and Sterling Pig in Media, then both Tired Hands locations in Ardmore. Closed the day with great flatbreads and solid beers at Earth+Bread in Germantown (where people in my lineage were instrumental in founding in the 1680s).

Friday we had to start heading to southern MD for my reunion, but went to downtown Philly (Reading Market) - had to try the Roast Pork sandwich at Dinic's. It was a very good sandwich, but I was somewhat let down (built up way too much in my head, I guess - expected more great flavor from the pork itself). Still was well-worth the visit. Also hit Barrett's Ice Cream in the market. Stopped in Delaware at Stewart's Brewing - had to get a beer in DE, since neither of us had been previously. Not bad, not great but solid, staff treated us great, too.

Brewpub across the parking lot from the hotel for my reunion in Dowell/Solomon's MD, Ruddy Duck, wasn't as bad as I expected. Donna and I each had a couple decent offerings and good food but it was STEAMING as the place was packed, they had a band and it was balls-hot outside. Not much else beer-wise down there, though we did get a sixer of RAR hefe cans and a howler of RAR pale ale from a crappy liquor store/bar that had eight taps to go.

We were there Friday through Sunday morning. Only were able to hit one VA spot on the way back to civilization, and that was Aslin for growlers to go. They had a single beer on, a really tasty Passionfruit Mango Berliner Weiss so got a growler and howler. Tried to stop at Right Proper in DC but parking on the Sunday afternoon was a complete mess, and then the skies opened up so we decided it was best to move on to Columbia, MD to meet Fred...or not.  ;D We did meet up with Gregg, however, and had a fun evening at the Frisco Taphouse trying some solid local brews.

Moved on to spend Monday at Antietam Battlefield. My ancestors on my dad's side came from that slice of the world, whether it was southern PA, western MD or northern VA (or WV after 1863) and doing the legwork Donna found an obit for my 3rd GGF - said he lived at the end of the Bloody Lane where many died during that battle. Six months post-battle, he was finding old shells for scrap metal (was a cooper, so needed the metal for the barrel-making process) but ended up being killed when one blew up on him. While talking to one of the staff at the visitor center, he found a map (modernized) of the area at the time, and his land was marked off on it exactly as described in the obituary. Have found other names in my lineage with direct ties to the battle, as well as other Civil War-related things. It's pretty cool and awe-inspiring to find out there's more history to my family than I ever was led to believe growing up.

Stayed in Frederick Monday evening and had a very good meal and some tasty beers at Barley and Hops. We both thoroughly enjoyed it, even if "the ratings" of the place aren't great.

Tuesday was spent in Hagerstown at the Washington County/Western Maryland Genealogy room at the library so no time for beers (though we did hit up two creameries that day for some excellent ice cream, as well as having brunch at a place called Crawford's Restaurant, Guns and Ammo). Headed homeward with a stop in Morgantown, WV for beers (had to tick off another state for drinking) Tuesday evening and then Hot Chicken Takeover for Wednesday lunch in Columbus, OH, along with an obligatory visit to Jeni's Splendid Ice Cream!!!  :D

Long trip but lots of fun, though a bit of a drag with the arm/hand still healing and hurting. Couldn't do everything we wanted but still took it all in. Laid the foundation, I suppose, for further exploration down the road. We learned a ton, spent quality time together and with family/friends we don't see often, had some good food, good beer and good/great ice cream!

Offline bakes

• Barleywine
  • Alcospeakerholic
Sounds like a great, fun, and memorable trip.  Tom Baker at Earth Bread+Brewery is one of the truly good guys in brewing. Very cool!!   :cheers: :ale:

p.s. Dammit, now I am hungry for ice cream... ;D

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Geuze
  • signed life away on the internet totally worth it
Quote from: urbanhack
my head was buried in shuke's tits.
TITS help you hit home runs.

Offline BryanC

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale

Sounds like a fun trip! :thumbup:

We were there Friday through Sunday morning. Only were able to hit one VA spot on the way back to civilization, and that was Aslin for growlers to go. They had a single beer on, a really tasty Passionfruit Mango Berliner Weiss so got a growler and howler. Tried to stop at Right Proper in DC but parking on the Sunday afternoon was a complete mess, and then the skies opened up so we decided it was best to move on to Columbia, MD to meet Fred...or not.  ;D We did meet up with Gregg, however, and had a fun evening at the Frisco Taphouse trying some solid local brews.

Should have gone to Mad Fox... :P

Offline bakes

• Barleywine
  • Alcospeakerholic

Funny thing is, Bill Madden was sitting at the bar at the old fashioned while we were having breakfast the day of the taste. He's been out there a number of times over the last few years. I still say he brews the best Scottish hail in the history of ever

Offline OHLRangers

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale

:goodposting:

Neither of us had ever spent any time in DC so we were at least ATTEMPTING to add that (at the last minute and not very well researched, to be honest - had we spent a bit more time going over this as an option maybe we could've made it work). Oh well, means we have to come back again some day before we get too :bakes:  :lol:

Offline Steve Tasker

• Old Ale

Met up with Petey in Buffalo for Ted's Hot Dogs and 12 Gates beers on the Monday we hit the road. That was the lone beery spot for us in WNY, as I was in the rink and Donna was in the library doing genealogy research. Headed toward SE PA after I finished with my tournament Wednesday afternoon - with a detour to Lockport, NY for some fabulous ice cream at Lake Effect Artisan Ice Cream, right on the Erie Canal. If you're anywhere close and like ice cream, do yourself a favor and stop!
I've never been to their shop up there, but just so you know, you can find pints of Lake Effect ice cream at most local Wegmans and other smaller markets like the Lexington Co-Op, I believe.

There's another local one that I actually like better than Lake Effect --> Sweet Jenny's.  I don't know if they have an actual location at the moment, I think they closed their last place, but they still make ice cream and you'll find it on local shelves from time to time.  Their rum raisin is amazing.