search

Author Topic: Copper State Brewing Co. - Green Bay  (Read 571 times)

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Geuze
  • signed life away on the internet totally worth it
Copper State Brewing Co. - Green Bay
« on: April 20, 2017, 11:36:35 AM »
http://fox11online.com/news/local/green-bay/a-look-inside-copper-state-brewing-co

GREEN BAY (WLUK) -- With Hinterland already moved in the Titletown District, a new brewery is moving into its old location in downtown Green Bay.

Renovation work is underway inside the future Copper State Brewing Co. as crews work to transform the old Hinterland into a brand new brewery.

"This entire wall will be opened up, it's a 26 foot long bar and the idea is to make this feel more like a brewpub than a restaurant, which is why we opened this up, we want to do a lot of bar seating," explained owner Gregg Mattek.

Mattek took FOX 11 on a tour inside the building while explaining his vision.

"This will be our dining area, similar to what Hinterland had, so not a lot of changes here," he said pointing to Hinterland's old dining area.

Mattek says they'll offer a small lunch menu at first before expanding the selections.

"We'll be adding burgers and pizzas at lunch to go with beer," he said.

Copper State is already brewing six beers and is looking to have 16 taps at both its downstairs and upstairs bars.

And where Hinterland's old bar sat, that will become the Copper Rock Coffee shop that opens at 6 a.m.

"The coffee shop will obviously be in the building all day long, but we won't staff it as heavily during the evening hours when the bar is open, but you'll always be able to do either one," explained Mattek.

Copper State also has plans to build a beer garden in its front parking lot.

"We're still working with the city on final permits just to make sure everything is in place, but the idea is big steal beams with a wood trellis across the top, and then we actually want to do a perimeter of hot plants around the outside," he said.

Copper State is expected to open to the public in June, it is still looking to hire about 20 employees.
Quote from: urbanhack
my head was buried in shuke's tits.
TITS help you hit home runs.

Offline flyingbison

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
Re: Copper State Brewing Co. - Green Bay
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 09:21:32 PM »
Finally stopped in to try this place after work tonight.

Over impression:  3/5  Has potential but there is plenty of room for improvement.

Atmosphere:   They've kept the industrial concrete/wood/brick character of the old Hinterland, and made it a little more casual.  The upstairs remains basically the same, but the first floor has been opened up to a single larger space.  The small first-floor bar near the entrance is now the coffee counter, and a new larger bar is on the opposite wall.  In between the two are varying sizes of pub height wooden tables.  The place certainly wasn't packed, but had a decent amount of traffic for an early Tuesday evening.  The music was a touch too loud, but it was mostly blues, so that was OK.  The two large flat screen TVs over the bar were turned off.

Service:  The staff were all young and seemed relatively clueless about the beer.

Food:  Ordered a few of the bar snacks - deviled eggs, frites, pretzel bites - tasted fine, but way overpriced.   Menu has a few interesting things on it, but too expensive for my taste.  No specials, happy hour, etc. that I could tell for food or drinks.

Beer:  Started with a flight of 4 beers - Kolsch, Alt, IPA, and Black Coffee IPA.  The kolsch was a drinkable lager, but much too sweet and heavy for a kolsch, IMO.  The alt was terrible.  Very prominent raisin/prune sweetness to it, almost like a dubbel without the Belgian yeast.  The IPA was decent, but nowhere near as good as Green 19 across the street.  The best of the bunch, by far was the Black Coffee IPA.  After the flight, I finished with a pint (well, more like 12-14 oz.) of the Black Coffee IPA.

Worth a stop to try, but definitely not a place I'll be going to often.

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 10:02:46 PM »
good to know

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
    • Research page @ Lambic.info
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2017, 11:02:14 PM »
Did they just open, or back in June?

Offline flyingbison

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 08:47:10 AM »

Pretty sure they've been open for a couple of months now.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 09:58:22 AM »

Pretty sure they've been open for a couple of months now.
Kinda sucks when a place is mediocre after they've had enough time to figure it out. I tend to avoid new breweries when they open at least for a little while, same with new restaurants. Seems like everything new is overpriced these days, not sure why that is.

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2017, 10:02:03 AM »
in their defense, Titletown has been open for a long time and still hasn't figured it out

Offline flyingbison

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2017, 11:10:31 AM »
in their defense, Titletown has been open for a long time and still hasn't figured it out

Surprised they are still open.  Place must be a front for some money laundering operation.

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2017, 12:19:43 PM »

Surprised they are still open.  Place must be a front for some money laundering operation.

you know something i don't ??

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2018, 01:23:43 PM »
Update? :popcorn:

Ran across this place on google maps while looking for the oldest tavern in WI. An article mentioned it would've been in vicinity of Fort Howard.

Offline flyingbison

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2018, 02:09:19 PM »

Ran across this place on google maps while looking for the oldest tavern in WI. An article mentioned it would've been in vicinity of Fort Howard.

I've only been there 3 times total ... the first time mentioned above, once for dinner, and once for coffee.  Overall impression is still the same ... mediocre place that is more expensive than it should be. 

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2018, 03:08:19 PM »

I've only been there 3 times total ... the first time mentioned above, once for dinner, and once for coffee.  Overall impression is still the same ... mediocre place that is more expensive than it should be.
So the beers haven’t improved any? I guess if you bring in the dinner/coffee crowd there’s still a chance of survival.

Offline flyingbison

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2018, 03:58:20 PM »

So the beers haven’t improved any? I guess if you bring in the dinner/coffee crowd there’s still a chance of survival.

I think there is still lots of room in the market here for mediocre (and worse) beer.  While there are more breweries with taprooms in GB now, this is only the third brewpub in area.  Plus, a lot of people seem to like the novelty of a brewpub, and don't know what the beer is supposed to taste like. 

Offline Severstad

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2018, 12:25:52 PM »

Took Squid and the boys there after buying some vinyl on Record Store Day. Fine food. NOT good beer. Squid couldn't even finish a flight-size brew. All four samples (stout, stout, porter, IPA) were subpar.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2018, 12:43:42 PM »

Took Squid and the boys there after buying some vinyl on Record Store Day. Fine food. NOT good beer. Squid couldn't even finish a flight-size brew. All four samples (stout, stout, porter, IPA) were subpar.
:thumbup: Any good scores? I missed it this year, but more on purpose to avoid crowds.

Sucks about the beer. They're so close to Titletown, gotta bring your A-game to get noticed. Like Bison said too, the casual crowd may have no idea the beer is bad.