search

Author Topic: Nashville Recommendations  (Read 520 times)

Offline thickfreakness

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
Nashville Recommendations
« on: February 28, 2017, 08:28:36 PM »
My step-dad's job has him going to Nashville monthly now and I wanted to reach out to see what spots he should hit. Bars, bottle shops, breweries, beers he should be on the lookout for, restaurants, things to do. I may join him out there one weekend at some point. We shall see. Thanks all!

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Geuze
  • signed life away on the internet totally worth it
Re: Nashville Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 09:39:54 PM »
is coldchill still alive?
Quote from: urbanhack
my head was buried in shuke's tits.
TITS help you hit home runs.

Offline thickfreakness

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 11:25:54 PM »
I think he still posts relatively often. We also have a handful of other people that go.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
    • Research page @ Lambic.info
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 11:56:36 PM »
Yazoo is all I can think of, based on what Gale brought to Bracfest.
I'm sure there are more options nowadays... Southern Grist and Bearded Iris look to be highly rated.

Offline unclejedi

• VIP Member
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 11:21:31 PM »
So lots of changes in Nashville over the past few years... Two smaller breweries to seek out, Bearded Iris and Southern Grist, Bearded Iris is in the northeastern part of the downtown area inside the interstate loop, Southern Grist is in the East Nashville area.  East Nashville is Hipsterville, lots of great food & beer places there.  Yazoo is still pretty solid, look for anything from their "Embrace the Funk" wild fermentation series.  If you've got a little time and a car, drive about 30 minutes south to visit Mantra brewing in Franklin TN... Probably my favorite TN brewery at this point.  Franklin is a pretty cool place to visit, one of the wealthier suburbs.  So the other thing that I'm not that versed in is the whole Hot Chicken thing.  It wasn't really a thing when I lived there 35 years ago, but it is now.  Prince's is the original, but everyone seems to argue over what is best. 
non-conformists are all the same...

Offline thickfreakness

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2017, 09:24:52 AM »
Thanks UJ! He'll be headed out again in a month and we're trying to plan a weekend to go with him.

Offline coldchill

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Old Ale
  • Foul balls are yours to keep.
    • Bootknocker Brewing Co.
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2017, 03:26:47 PM »
"Sometimes stunned silence is better than applause."

Offline thickfreakness

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2017, 03:30:21 PM »

Offline coldchill

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2017, 03:42:01 PM »
I concur with Jedi on the beer places.  I really enjoyed Mantra with Tara, Gilly, and Donny.  When Brac and I went to Bearded Iris we happened into some kind of spoken word open mike night, the beer was good but it was an odd experience.  I've not been to Southern Grist, but I have really enjoyed their beers that I've had.  Craft Brewed is a good bottle shop that serves by the drink if you want a variety of local and regional breweries.  Yazoo is always good and it is only a couple of blocks from Jackalope for a 2 for 1 stop. 

Here is a pretty good list (and a really crappy map) of most of the breweries in town. 

Power just went out in my office, when I have a few more minutes, I'll talk about food. 

ETA:  Food

We don't get out a lot to eat and the kids a not very adventurous eaters so I don't know much about the food scene here.  If you are interested in the hot chicken thing, I can help a little there.  Hattie B's is not the best, but it is good and probably the most convenient with a couple of locations, reasonable eat-in space, and a handful of local beers available.  Party Fowl is located between Yazoo and Jackalope and offers more of a dine in experience with a much more varied menu and a decent take on Nashville Hot Chicken. Outside the hot chicken stuff, i know that there are a bunch of new restaurants, I'm just not that familiar.  If you have a particular interest, I can probably find out.

Let me know if you come in town, I'd like to have a couple of beers with you.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 08:35:07 AM by coldchill »

Offline coldchill

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2017, 08:39:01 AM »
I'm sure there are more options nowadays... Southern Grist and Bearded Iris look to be highly rated.

Yazoo was about all there was back then. That was 6 years ago, a lifetime in the craft beer world.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2017, 10:32:30 PM »

Yazoo was about all there was back then. That was 6 years ago, a lifetime in the craft beer world.
That's true...beer years are even less than dog years. :unsure:

Offline unclejedi

• VIP Member
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2017, 04:47:04 AM »

Offline Steve Tasker

• Old Ale
  • **OFFICIAL Fruit King of TBS**
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2017, 09:20:23 AM »
So lots of changes in Nashville over the past few years... Two smaller breweries to seek out, Bearded Iris and Southern Grist, Bearded Iris is in the northeastern part of the downtown area inside the interstate loop, Southern Grist is in the East Nashville area.  East Nashville is Hipsterville, lots of great food & beer places there.  Yazoo is still pretty solid, look for anything from their "Embrace the Funk" wild fermentation series.  If you've got a little time and a car, drive about 30 minutes south to visit Mantra brewing in Franklin TN... Probably my favorite TN brewery at this point.  Franklin is a pretty cool place to visit, one of the wealthier suburbs.  So the other thing that I'm not that versed in is the whole Hot Chicken thing.  It wasn't really a thing when I lived there 35 years ago, but it is now.  Prince's is the original, but everyone seems to argue over what is best.
I know next to nothing about Tennessee beer, but Bearded Iris made fantastic beer that was served at Bonnaroo's "brooers" tent last year.   I have a lot of respect for the guy for the following story too:

Sunday night, about 6:45 PM.  The "brooers" tent (the separate tent for craft beer options, there are maybe 30 breweries with 2-3 beers each) is scheduled to close for good at approx 8 PM.  I head in for one more Bearded Iris IPA, but there's no one behind their counter.  A handful of the other breweries have shuttered entirely and gone home or some of their options have kicked and they're down to 1 beer.  There's 1 guy waiting in line in front of me, we're standing there for about 2 minutes and this guy comes hustling back into the tent with a dolly and a keg.  He taps the keg and serves us both the IPA.  I started talking to him....apparently all of the beer is in a refrigerated truck a decent hustle from the brooers tent.  Bonnaroo staff is supposed to deliver the kegs - you're running low on a beer, you call them, they bring you your keg.  Well, he called them for a keg of the IPA around 6:30 and they told him to shut down the IPA and that they wouldn't deliver it this late with the tent scheduled to close in 90 minutes.  He basically gave them a fuck you and went to the truck and got his own keg out.  He was the brewer - I can't remember his name anymore - and was the brewery's only employee working the fest at that point....so when he went to get his own keg, there was no one to man the station.   But Bearded Iris is tiny compared to those other breweries in the tent, and he said he wants to serve his great beer and get some exposure, and the tent isn't closed yet.  It's a meaningless story, but I have a lot of respect for their brewery after that.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 09:23:53 AM by Steve Tasker »
helping Stephanie deliver sausage to the unit since 2010

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2017, 10:47:13 AM »
I know next to nothing about Tennessee beer, but Bearded Iris made fantastic beer that was served at Bonnaroo's "brooers" tent last year.   I have a lot of respect for the guy for the following story too:

Sunday night, about 6:45 PM.  The "brooers" tent (the separate tent for craft beer options, there are maybe 30 breweries with 2-3 beers each) is scheduled to close for good at approx 8 PM.  I head in for one more Bearded Iris IPA, but there's no one behind their counter.  A handful of the other breweries have shuttered entirely and gone home or some of their options have kicked and they're down to 1 beer.  There's 1 guy waiting in line in front of me, we're standing there for about 2 minutes and this guy comes hustling back into the tent with a dolly and a keg.  He taps the keg and serves us both the IPA.  I started talking to him....apparently all of the beer is in a refrigerated truck a decent hustle from the brooers tent.  Bonnaroo staff is supposed to deliver the kegs - you're running low on a beer, you call them, they bring you your keg.  Well, he called them for a keg of the IPA around 6:30 and they told him to shut down the IPA and that they wouldn't deliver it this late with the tent scheduled to close in 90 minutes.  He basically gave them a fuck you and went to the truck and got his own keg out.  He was the brewer - I can't remember his name anymore - and was the brewery's only employee working the fest at that point....so when he went to get his own keg, there was no one to man the station.   But Bearded Iris is tiny compared to those other breweries in the tent, and he said he wants to serve his great beer and get some exposure, and the tent isn't closed yet.  It's a meaningless story, but I have a lot of respect for their brewery after that.
That was very cool of him :thumbup:
Wonder if they'll even go back next year though after that.

Offline thickfreakness

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2017, 11:29:43 AM »
Nice! I'm going to try to organize a trip with my parents in the Summer/Fall.

Offline unclejedi

• VIP Member
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2017, 03:47:30 AM »

That was very cool of him :thumbup:
Wonder if they'll even go back next year though after that.
His name is Paul Vaughn, and yep, he's a great guy.