search

Author Topic: Untitled Art - Madison  (Read 461 times)

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Geuze
  • signed life away on the internet totally worth it
Untitled Art - Madison
« on: December 21, 2016, 11:25:27 AM »
http://host.madison.com/wsj/entertainment/dining/beer/beer-baron-madison-s-newest-brewery-is-untitled-art/article_4f2ec60a-8287-5b26-bc09-4ddf3a629185.html

The principals in two Madison-area brewing operations have joined for a new brewery that will release its first beer this week.

Untitled Art was formed earlier this year by Levi Funk, who runs Funk Factory Geuzeria on Madison’s South Side, and Isaac Showaki, who opened Octopi Brewing in Waunakee last year.

Funk said he will provide the creative direction on the beer — formulating recipes and sourcing ingredients — while Showaki brings his expertise in production and bringing beer to market. The beer will be made 50 barrels (the equivalent of 100 kegs) at a time by the staff at Octopi, which is a so-called contract brewery that primarily makes beer for other companies.

The new project is distinct from their two existing operations, Funk said.

Funk said Untitled Art will not have a bricks-and-mortar brewery or a large staff. That low overhead will give Funk and Showaki the freedom to brew what they want, when they want, Funk said. They won’t use a middleman to sell or distribute the beer, either.

That way, “there’s no demand on Untitled Art to produce,” Funk said. “It’s not like we’re paying to keep the lights on or pay the rent on a facility. I want to keep that freedom of no production demands.”

Untitled Art will sell its beer at bottle shops, bars and restaurants in Madison and Milwaukee, and the first beer, Juicy IPA, was packaged last week and should ship out on Thursday or Friday, Funk said. Four-packs of the bottles will carry the premium price of $15.

The brewery concept came out of a desire to drink beer styles Funk described as at the “leading edge” of modern brewing that aren’t being made by breweries in Wisconsin or the Midwest. Juicy IPA is a variant of the India pale ale that’s gained a passionate following among beer fans in the Northeast.

Funk’s Funk Factory has built a strong national reputation among fans of sour beer since he released his first beer in January 2014. Funk Factory does not brew beer but takes wort — beer before it’s fermented — made at collaborating breweries and ages it in used barrels, a process that can take up to 18 months.

Before opening Octopi in 2016 and launching Octopi’s 3rd Sign label a month later, Showaki co-founded 5 Rabbit Cerveceria, a Latin-style brewery in Chicago, in 2011.
Quote from: urbanhack
my head was buried in shuke's tits.
TITS help you hit home runs.

Offline Swabs

• Where's my parrot hat?
  • VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Barleywine
  • Furley is amazNOG
Re: Untitled Art - Madison
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2016, 11:29:19 AM »
Gotta love a nice 4 pack of IPA for $15
Gilly> this is totally murdering my unicorn blood boner

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
    • Research page @ Lambic.info
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016, 03:15:37 PM »
His new partner seems to hop from concept to concept, just finding the right fit I guess. This also happened.
Nothing wrong with that, as long as it's a great unique product and a sustainable business plan.
Guess it's not much different than a brewer hopping from brewery to brewery.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 03:18:09 PM by emerge »

Offline Initiative

• TBS Founding Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Quadrupel
  • Beer Slap Bob
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2016, 05:34:39 PM »
Yea, this will be interesting. Not sure what to expect with this coming out of Octopi. Levi attaching his name to it gives me hope and he has been talking about it a bit in some of the Madison groups but we will see. Sounds like there is more to come and not just working out of Octopi.
Thread killer extraordinaire!
00:21:17 ‹braconid› I'm a fan of little tits, but not silver dollar pancakes with rancid butter nipples
00:21:31 ‹nchrist› lol
00:21:42 ‹Steve Tasker› i'm not even kidding, i'd hit it.....a lot

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
    • Research page @ Lambic.info
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2016, 12:52:39 PM »
Yea, this will be interesting. Not sure what to expect with this coming out of Octopi. Levi attaching his name to it gives me hope and he has been talking about it a bit in some of the Madison groups but we will see. Sounds like there is more to come and not just working out of Octopi.
Good info :thumbup:
That's kind of what I thought, if Levi is involved then looking forward to good things...