search

Author Topic: Moody Tongue Tasting room to feature Beer, Cake, Oysters, and that's it  (Read 1899 times)

Offline Murphadam

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Quadrupel
  • You're Awesome
http://www.redeyechicago.com/restaurants-bars/redeye-moody-tongue-brewing-tasting-room-first-look-20161012-story.html

Simplicity is a virtue for the culinary-focused brewery, and the highly anticipated tasting room only has two pairing options: German chocolate cake and oysters.

“My favorite pairings are dessert and beer, and by the time we get to that, we’re either too full or too intoxicated or just exhausted,” Rouben said. “So if we're starting with cake and beer, you’ve got no excuse. And as far as oysters, I feel like I can eat oysters and drink beer all day long.”

Such a simple menu is a pretty good gimmick.  And man, that cake! 

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • American Sour Ale
    • Research page @ Lambic.info
Re: Moody Tongue Tasting room to feature Beer, Cake, Oysters, and that's it
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2016, 09:50:25 PM »
Yeah, the cake looks good. Too bad about the beers :shrug:

Offline Murphadam

• Quadrupel
  • You're Awesome
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2016, 11:43:12 PM »

Are they that bad?  I thought I liked the saison and the churro one, but it's been a while.  I did not like the Nectarine IPA, but chalked it up to freshness.

Offline borrowedladder

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Old Ale
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 09:57:56 AM »

Are they that bad?  I thought I liked the saison and the churro one, but it's been a while.  I did not like the Nectarine IPA, but chalked it up to freshness.

He is a douche and his beer is equally douchey(Culinary beer? . . . fuck me gently with a chainsaw).  I liked the nectarinae IPA and the Lemon one which I forget but food pairings are not my thing especially when one is poisonous.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2016, 10:23:24 AM »

I've tried 5 of them, none I enjoyed. Apricot BPA was ok. The meyer lemon one tasted very artificial like a lemon scented cleaner. The raspberry Dubbel tasted like Chambord and sizzurp. Churro porter tasted like tootsie rolls and cola. Gimmicky adjunct stuff, imho.

He is a douche and his beer is equally douchey(Culinary beer? . . . fuck me gently with a chainsaw).  I liked the nectarinae IPA and the Lemon one which I forget but food pairings are not my thing especially when one is poisonous.
Pretentious is the word i'd use. He also came off pretty arrogant to us plebeians while at Clybourn.
Selling his first MT bottled beer (a truffle pilsner) for $120 via a lottery also cemented that reputation.

Offline Murphadam

• Quadrupel
  • You're Awesome
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2016, 10:25:24 AM »

I like food and beer pairings.   :shrug:  Sorry you don't like oysters.   :shrug:  :shrug:

In today's crowded brewery market you kind of need a gimmick stand out, and "culinary beer" seems as good as any. 

The guy seems reasonably genuine to me.  "Here are the things I likes to eat with beer so here's what I'm serving at my tap room."   Isn't that how most of the best craft beer stuff got started?  "We make what we like."   

He is still digging out from the credibility hole after the truffle beer debacle, but I like the idea and the beers I've tasted enough to give it a shot. 
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 10:34:40 AM by Murphadam »

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2016, 10:31:53 AM »

He is a douche and his beer is equally douchey(Culinary beer? . . . fuck me gently with a chainsaw).  I liked the nectarinae IPA and the Lemon one which I forget but food pairings are not my thing especially when one is poisonous*.
*to those with a shellfish allergy, namely Borrowedladder

Offline borrowedladder

• Old Ale
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2016, 05:17:21 PM »
It is more Ruben than his products.  He was grating in so many ways when he brewed at Clybourn and kind of ruined the Englishness of the beer menu with his obnoxious Chef pairings which are almost always horrid no matter who does them.  He would "forage" at local markets and add some fresh ingredient to a thoughtlessly produced base beer and call it culinarily inspired.  Gimmick is right.

And most websites feature more than one person in their story.  Not his, the lout.

And check this out (From Moody Tongue website):

"At Moody Tongue, our goal is to create thoughtful, exciting beers that blend familiar flavors with quality ingredients through our philosophy of culinary brewing: using a chef’s mindset to highlight flavors and aromatics in balanced beers.

Culinary brewing rests on three principles:

Sourcing the highest quality ingredients
    Understanding how best to handle those ingredients to showcase flavors and aromatics
    Knowing when during the brewing process to incorporate these ingredients"

How is this different than what most other craft brewers would say?  Nah, we use shit stuff and throw it all together in the boil.

Gah, just thinking about him upsets me!

Offline chi_dave

• Quadrupel
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2016, 11:10:54 PM »

I've tried 5 of them, none I enjoyed. Apricot BPA was ok. The meyer lemon one tasted very artificial like a lemon scented cleaner. The raspberry Dubbel tasted like Chambord and sizzurp. Churro porter tasted like tootsie rolls and cola. Gimmicky adjunct stuff, imho.

Pretentious is the word i'd use. He also came off pretty arrogant to us plebeians while at Clybourn.
Selling his first MT bottled beer (a truffle pilsner) for $120 via a lottery also cemented that reputation.

Was he the driving force behind the changes at Clybourn several years ago to a higher end menu, or a product of it? I missed the simple late night cheaper menu. A stilton burger and chips for <$10 with whatever they had on cask was the best meal in Chicago around 2005/2006.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2016, 11:58:59 AM »

Was he the driving force behind the changes at Clybourn several years ago to a higher end menu, or a product of it? I missed the simple late night cheaper menu. A stilton burger and chips for <$10 with whatever they had on cask was the best meal in Chicago around 2005/2006.
He was there at the same time, but i'm not sure if that was due to a new chef or what. Did a lot of food pairings and "culinary beer".
Also coincided with the year they decided to only sell Lolita/Juliet/Madame Rose to high end restaurants for hiked up prices. He did the same schtick with that truffle beer.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2017, 11:30:34 AM »
Drove past the brewery recently while looking for parking at Skylark.
There was a black stretch SUV limo double parked out front. :rolleyes: Kept on driving.

Offline borrowedladder

• Old Ale
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2017, 04:18:06 PM »
There was a black stretch SUV limo double parked out front. :rolleyes: Kept on driving.

Mr. Rouben was going home after a hard day's work.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2017, 09:53:26 AM »
Mr. Rouben was going home after a hard day's work.
Lol :lol:
I wouldn't be surprised if they had some kind of VIP brewery tour package involving a limo.
After the tour they offer everyone a hot towel.

Offline Murphadam

• Quadrupel
  • You're Awesome
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2021, 09:42:09 AM »
These guys wound up getting two Michelin Stars for their beer-focused tasting menu, which (by that metric) would make them the second or third best restaurant in Chicago.   :shrug:

https://www.timeout.com/chicago/news/here-are-chicagos-2021-michelin-starred-restaurants-042921

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2021, 10:41:14 AM »
These guys wound up getting two Michelin Stars for their beer-focused tasting menu, which (by that metric) would make them the second or third best restaurant in Chicago.   :shrug:

https://www.timeout.com/chicago/news/here-are-chicagos-2021-michelin-starred-restaurants-042921

In the before times, back in early 2020, I had dinner at the new place and it was excellent. :bag:

Maybe this was the plan all along, to make it a high-end dining thing to get a Michelin star. The original brewery tasting room with the oysters & cake was just a misguided attempt, but now they have/had the staff/kitchen/chef concept to make it work now. The beer was still mediocre, and second fiddle to the food though. Their flaccid stouts were served in ridiculous giant brandy snifters, which sort of summed up the "overproduce and underperform" nature of the brewing program. Finally, a brewpub where I can skip the beer and get a fancy dinner and wine pairing. (said no one ever)

Offline Murphadam

• Quadrupel
  • You're Awesome

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2021, 12:47:12 PM »
Josh Noel gave the beer an excellent review back in the day

https://www.chicagotribune.com/dining/reviews/ct-food-restaurant-review-moody-tongue-brewery-0205-20200130-wtkijil3ojeurid7w24jnh3w24-story.html

When we went, I don't think anyone took the $155 beer pairing menu option seriously. I can pair gose with caviar on my own, but i'm not a caviar fan. :mellow: A couple of the stouts were good, the oatmeal nitro and gingerbread one, though they were charging Goose Island BCBS prices for "vintage" bottles of the imperial stouts, which didn't benefit from aging. I also remember having a good lager of theirs once at Thalia Hall.

The last dinner course is the burliest: American Wagyu served with Oak Barrel-Aged Flanders Red Ale. Rouben calls it “the burgundy of beer.”
“If you’re not going to have burgundy with beef, you might as well have the burgundy of beers with beef,” he says.

Took the words right out of Michael Jackson's mouth. :rolleyes:

Offline Murphadam

• Quadrupel
  • You're Awesome
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2021, 12:42:54 PM »
Hearing rumblings on Chicago Beer twitter that there are allegations of sexist and racist abuse re: MT.  Which would sadly be unsurprising.

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Barleywine
  • If I've offended you, it made me happy.
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2021, 01:03:22 PM »
Saw some of this at Whole Foods yesterday.  Had to laugh at the $30 4-pack.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2021, 02:26:37 PM »
Hearing rumblings on Chicago Beer twitter that there are allegations of sexist and racist abuse re: MT.  Which would sadly be unsurprising.

Well damn. The chef sounds like a real POS if the allegations are true. Seems like this has been out there for awhile and I never heard about it.

Offline JJ

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2021, 02:48:30 PM »

Well damn. The chef sounds like a real POS if the allegations are true. Seems like this has been out there for awhile and I never heard about it.
I don't know who you're talking about but the odds are pretty good.
The Force is what gives a brewer his power. It's an energy field created by yeast. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It converts polysaccharides to ethyl alcohol.

Offline Murphadam

• Quadrupel
  • You're Awesome
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2021, 03:47:46 PM »
Found the initial complaint.  Seems pretty bad.  https://www.instagram.com/p/CBvtMp5F0_g/

Offline JJ

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2021, 08:01:01 PM »
This wasn't all that uncommon up until the mid-'90s when the industry finally said "maybe this isn't how we should be conducting ourselves. There are still old-school chefs like this around training cooks to continue the tradition.
The Force is what gives a brewer his power. It's an energy field created by yeast. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It converts polysaccharides to ethyl alcohol.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2022, 08:03:37 PM »
Rouben the rapist/sexual abuser. Writing was on the wall for awhile now.

https://www.goodbeerhunting.com/sightlines/2022/3/10/how-sexism-assault-pushed-one-woman-out-of-the-beer-industry

She met Jared Rouben, then the brewmaster at Goose Island Brewery’s brewpub, when she and Daniels had lunch there in spring 2010. (Rouben is now co-founder and brewmaster at Chicago’s Moody Tongue Brewing Company.) After dinner on their third date, Hite agreed to accompany Rouben back to his apartment for beers. She says she quickly became intoxicated and disoriented, though she hadn’t been drinking excessively. The two began having consensual sex. Hite says that during sex, Rouben began hitting and slapping her buttocks and legs with enough force to cause her pain, and she asked him repeatedly to stop hitting her and to stop having sex with her. She says he ignored her calls to stop and instead began hitting her harder until he finished penetrating her and fell asleep.

Hite characterizes this as rape. Rouben denies the allegation of sexual assault.

When asked to provide his account of the night in question, Rouben declined to do so, saying only: “The allegations are false.”

Hite says that after Rouben fell asleep, she quickly dressed and immediately left his apartment. She says she never spoke to him or heard from him after that. Four of Hite’s industry peers recall her telling them about the alleged assault, including one who says Hite told her about it within days of it occurring. (Hite confirms that she initially asked these people not to speak publicly about it.) She says Rouben left bruises on her legs that lasted for more than a week, making it uncomfortable for her to sit down.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2022, 08:06:20 PM by emerge »

Offline Murphadam

• Quadrupel
  • You're Awesome
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2022, 11:15:31 AM »
Gross.

I wonder why the journalists backed off the stories.

“It’s exhausting to keep telling this fucking story,” Hite says, adding that between 2020 and 2021, she and a trusted industry peer contacted two journalists about her experiences. Hite had given an interview to one of these journalists, but neither published stories about it. She says the reporter who interviewed her eventually stopped communicating with her.

“When it’s just crickets, I’m like, ‘OK so, what now? Did it just not matter?’” she says.

It's not like she wasn't credible (lots of corroboration) or Jared and the other abusers are so big and powerful they could get the story shut down.

Meanwhile the trib kept publishing about MT's accolades as late as 2021

https://twitter.com/hopnotes/status/1349006571834118156

https://www.chicagotribune.com/dining/ct-prem-food-michelin-stars-chicago-2021-ever-moody-tongue-porto-20210429-ha5a2uktonejtmfg7hex6m5i4u-story.html

https://www.chicagotribune.com/dining/reviews/ct-food-restaurant-review-moody-tongue-brewery-0205-20200130-wtkijil3ojeurid7w24jnh3w24-story.html

« Last Edit: March 16, 2022, 12:05:45 PM by Murphadam »

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2022, 12:37:25 PM »
Gross.

I wonder why the journalists backed off the stories.

“It’s exhausting to keep telling this fucking story,” Hite says, adding that between 2020 and 2021, she and a trusted industry peer contacted two journalists about her experiences. Hite had given an interview to one of these journalists, but neither published stories about it. She says the reporter who interviewed her eventually stopped communicating with her.

“When it’s just crickets, I’m like, ‘OK so, what now? Did it just not matter?’” she says.

It's not like she wasn't credible (lots of corroboration) or Jared and the other abusers are so big and powerful they could get the story shut down.

Meanwhile the trib kept publishing about MT's accolades as late as 2021

https://twitter.com/hopnotes/status/1349006571834118156

https://www.chicagotribune.com/dining/ct-prem-food-michelin-stars-chicago-2021-ever-moody-tongue-porto-20210429-ha5a2uktonejtmfg7hex6m5i4u-story.html

Yeah, i'm not sure. Maybe they tried to interview Rouben and he threatened legal action or something. Surely this isn't an isolated incident, wonder if others will come forward as a result of this story.

Edit: another secondhand report here: https://www.reddit.com/r/chicagobeer/comments/tb4y9p/details_of_the_accusation_of_sexual_assault_by/
« Last Edit: March 16, 2022, 12:43:24 PM by emerge »

Offline Murphadam

• Quadrupel
  • You're Awesome
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2022, 01:50:41 PM »
There's just no way Josh Noel didn't know about these allegations when publishing all these accolades.

https://twitter.com/mpkiser/status/1501963883875086344

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • American Sour Ale
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2022, 03:00:44 PM »
There's just no way Josh Noel didn't know about these allegations when publishing all these accolades.

https://twitter.com/mpkiser/status/1501963883875086344

I saw that earlier, when looking for further discussion. Seems pretty two faced if so.