search

Author Topic: Mango IPA?  (Read 2364 times)

Offline danger girl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pale Ale
  • Padding my post total one beer at a time
Mango IPA?
« on: October 04, 2015, 11:54:36 PM »
So once again I'm brewing in a local brewery's homebrew competition. My brew partner and I have decided to do a Mango IPA. I have more chipotle powder than I can probably use in a lifetime, so maybe add some of that as well. I'm thinking get frozen mango chunks at Costco, (thaw) purée, freeze, add to secondary.

We will be using as much of the brewery's available ingredients as possible. I'd like to use Mosaic hops somewhere in it because they are so juicy. Also some Citra for aroma.

Has anyone made a Mango IPA? I'd love some pointers, maybe even a recipe if you have one you can share...

grassy ass!
Donna

Shhhh... my husband reads this board ;)

Offline skinnyguy

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pale Ale
Re: Mango IPA?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 10:29:20 AM »
So once again I'm brewing in a local brewery's homebrew competition. My brew partner and I have decided to do a Mango IPA. I have more chipotle powder than I can probably use in a lifetime, so maybe add some of that as well. I'm thinking get frozen mango chunks at Costco, (thaw) purée, freeze, add to secondary.

We will be using as much of the brewery's available ingredients as possible. I'd like to use Mosaic hops somewhere in it because they are so juicy. Also some Citra for aroma.

Has anyone made a Mango IPA? I'd love some pointers, maybe even a recipe if you have one you can share...

grassy ass!

I was going to do the same thing! I have them in my freezer now. No tips for mango yet since I haven't tried it. When I've done berry hefeweizens in the past, I've added the fruit a couple days into primary to make sure it completely fermented out.

Offline Jaysus

• TBS Founding Member
  • Double IPA
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 10:31:04 AM »
That actually sounds fabulous with those hops.  I've brewed with mango twice, both included habenero, each with a GB.  The first time was an IPA (based off a recipe that friend of mine uses as a probrewer) that we totally over heated... it was HOT.  We used frozen mango chunks in secondary - I'll see if I can dig up that recipe.  The second was a pale ale; the habaneo (and some mango) was only added to 5 gallons that we served from a pin - that turned out very nice.  It was a 20 gallon batch, and all 20 gallons had frozen mango added to secondary (the 5 in the pin got extra mango). 

ETA: shit, the IPA recipe is a PDF... PM me your email if you want it.
ETA2: does this link work? https://goo.gl/R9Jhsh  (please note that we strayed from the plan and used at least 8 habs on brew day.  Don't do that - 4 is the right amount for that recipe)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 10:42:28 AM by Jaysus »

Offline danger girl

• Pale Ale
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 11:25:23 AM »
Jaysus that link worked. Thanks! You just added the mango chunks whole? Not pureed?

We'll have to change the malt bill slightly to work with their house "free" ingredients, and their house yeast (Safale 04 English Ale yeast) and their crappy efficiency. I'm also thinking of using some Amarillo with the Mosaic and Citra since we'd have to buy the Mosaic.
Donna

Offline Jaysus

• TBS Founding Member
  • Double IPA
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 01:44:55 PM »
one was chunks, the other was puree... the puree won in a landslide.   The second batch we did, the puree one, used an english yeast strain (and a marris otter base) - it worked well.

I am digging that hop profile.

Here's a thought... since you have a lifetime supply of Chipotle powder, why don't you prepare a couple tinctures in case you need them.  Maybe one in vodka, and another in bourbon (with some oak staves maybe?)  Heck, you may even be able to find a mango vodka :shrug:

Offline danger girl

• Pale Ale
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 09:49:12 PM »
Hmmm... I like that idea. I have 3 bottles of vodka right now - a vanilla, a coconut and a cucumber. I'm thinking the cucumber one may work the best for this.
Donna