search

Author Topic: Wisconsin Tavern Culture  (Read 5251 times)

Offline flyingbison

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
Re: Wisconsin Tavern Culture
« Reply #100 on: July 03, 2018, 09:50:54 AM »
LET'S DO THIS

my calendar is wide open in 2022

Perfect!  Your guys can meet up after my funeral. 

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
    • Research page @ Lambic.info
« Reply #101 on: July 03, 2018, 10:20:45 AM »
LET'S DO THIS

my calendar is wide open in 2022

Perfect!  Your guys can meet up after my funeral. 

Maybe it'll be open again by then. :coffee:

Offline JJ

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Barleywine
« Reply #102 on: July 03, 2018, 11:43:21 AM »
going to kidnap JJ and bring him there

@bison
I'm down for that. Just go easy on the chloroform. I had a headache for two days last time.
How was your anus?  :unsure:
The word "slacked" comes to mind.
The Force is what gives a brewer his power. It's an energy field created by yeast. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It converts polysaccharides to ethyl alcohol.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #103 on: August 23, 2018, 12:39:24 PM »

Dot's Tavern, Basco, WI

Always pass by on the way from NG to Madsion, but have yet to stop. Overheard some folks talking about "Dot's Fest" at Hoesly's, apparently it was last weekend. The bar is in the basement of a house, but they have some outdoor seating as well, plus an acre out back. Also food trucks according to their FB page.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 12:33:49 PM by emerge »

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #104 on: August 28, 2018, 05:54:49 PM »

Nite Cap Inn, Palmyra, WI

http://milwaukeerecord.com/food-drink/226-friday-fish-frys-nite-cap-inn-palmyra/

As I hovered around the bar, it wasn’t out of reach to imagine myself waiting for a meal in the early 1960s, or even in the late 1980s, during the time when I was a child. The best Wisconsin establishments have this timeless quality, where even though winds of change blow outside, the inside stands sturdy in tradition.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 05:56:54 PM by emerge »

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #105 on: February 12, 2019, 01:32:30 PM »

RIP Roxbury Tavern :tombstone:

https://madison.com/ct/entertainment/dining/restaurants/let-s-eat-new-owners-at-roxbury-bar-and-grill/article_27a223e6-8976-5e28-b933-3de51234bac8.html

Sigh. Reading this makes me sad. Roxbury Tavern was one of my favorite bars, an annual ritual pre-Dells or pre-GTMW. It was really quirky and unique in a laid-back way. They'd have NPR playing in the afternoon, salmon on the smoker out front, and burgers as big as your head. I remember one time asking the owner Tom if he'd throw some pulled pork from the smoker on our burgers. He looked around, and goes "sure thing, just don't tell anybody." :lol:

I know he was getting up there in age and retirement was inevitable. Sadly I didn't go last year and now I never will.

Some young guys bought the place. You'd think the new owners would have some respect for it, and maybe acknowledge what made it unique in the first place. It was open for 30 years, maybe Tom was on to something.

At least they kept it open, and I get updating it, but I really don't have high hopes. I mean, the guy running the kitchen "worked at Johnny Rockets once" and stays up all night "gaming". It's like they'd never been there before, and bought it just because owning a bar would be cool, bro. Zero vision at all.

[Owners] Kroeger, Stonehocker, and Cobb bring a decidedly different energy to the tavern. Cobb and Kroeger connected through a mutual friend who met Cobb online playing Grand Theft Auto. There are now arcade-style gambling machines in the bar, and a sign above the jukebox bans “Stairway to Heaven,” a reference to the movie Wayne’s World.
:facepalm:

I give it 6 months.

Man, that grey drywall & white trim really sets off the new gaming parlor... <_<
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 08:49:53 PM by emerge »

Offline flyingbison

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #106 on: February 12, 2019, 08:24:29 PM »
fuckin' millennials  :(

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #107 on: February 12, 2019, 08:56:39 PM »
fuckin' millennials  :(
If Bar Rescue taught me anything... it’s that asshats of any age are capable of screwing a bar up. :chooch:
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 09:14:56 PM by emerge »

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #108 on: February 13, 2019, 04:23:28 PM »

They used to throw piano burning parties up there too.
Video #2 on PBS

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #109 on: July 09, 2019, 10:59:10 AM »
This place looks sufficiently weird.
It's down the road from a hoarder's antique shop that has Ed Gein's tombstone, so that's a twofer.

Hat Rack Tap
1725 Market St, Avalon, WI 53505

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #110 on: July 10, 2019, 09:59:52 AM »
Anyone have any suggestions for the SW WI region? (Sauk, Iowa, Grant, Richland, Vernon counties)

Skipping Brewery Creek in Mineral Point this year, it was lame.
Looking at the driftless region, it's a really interesting area around Viroqua. Spring Green was nice. Any others? TIA :cheers:
PS: not just beer, also looking at places like Eagle Cave, Cave of the Mounds, etc. We did Taliesin already.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 10:28:22 AM by emerge »

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #111 on: July 11, 2019, 05:42:38 PM »

Guns & liquor! :ohyeah:

Stark's Sport Shop
Prairie du Chien, WI 53821

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #112 on: July 17, 2019, 11:22:50 AM »
Prairie du Chien is looking better and better... Valley Fish & Cheese review

https://www.valleyfishpdc.com

Valley Fish & Cheese on WI Foodie :o

Pete's

If it's *likely* the best burger Chibbqking has had, it's worth driving across the state for.

Hickory smoked frog legs at Valley Fish & Cheese
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 11:28:31 AM by emerge »

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Geuze
  • signed life away on the internet totally worth it
« Reply #113 on: July 17, 2019, 01:44:31 PM »
if i'm randomly passing through some small town in any state.. and it looks like Pete's.. i'm stopping in for a drink and a meal even if i just ate 15 minutes prior.
Quote from: urbanhack
my head was buried in shuke's tits.
TITS help you hit home runs.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #114 on: July 17, 2019, 01:45:51 PM »
if i'm randomly passing through some small town in any state.. and it looks like Pete's.. i'm stopping in for a drink and a meal even if i just ate 15 minutes prior.
:goodposting:

Offline flyingbison

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #115 on: July 17, 2019, 01:49:53 PM »

Never had them smoked before.  Wonder if they would be a little rubbery that way?

Offline JJ

• VIP Member
  • Barleywine
« Reply #116 on: July 17, 2019, 02:11:50 PM »

Never had them smoked before.  Wonder if they would be a little rubbery that way?
I think they would be ok. Could be a cold smoke and finished in the oven.
The Force is what gives a brewer his power. It's an energy field created by yeast. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It converts polysaccharides to ethyl alcohol.

Offline wisconsinbeer1

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Double IPA
  • 40 oz. to Freedom
« Reply #117 on: July 17, 2019, 08:59:46 PM »
The Sturgeon General  :lol:

I think it was Pete's I just saw on a food network or travel channel show as one of the top three best burger places in WI. According to some guy or something. Looked good.
“Great ballplayers drink Lite beer because it’s less filling. I know. I asked one.” -Bob Uecker

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #118 on: July 17, 2019, 09:13:50 PM »

I think it was Pete's I just saw on a food network or travel channel show as one of the top three best burger places in WI. According to some guy or something. Looked good.

Cool, yeah it looks really promising. I’ve kinda been craving a simple, transcendent burger. The place looks like a shack built around a grill with windows. Wonder how the queueueuing situation is...
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 11:00:51 PM by emerge »

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #119 on: July 17, 2019, 11:04:14 PM »
Also, there’s a whole shelf of these. :unsure:

Bishop & Kendall (1929) found that turtle penis retractor muscles were "physiologically rugged" and of "extreme endurance".

I know what chewy souvenir my coworkers will be getting.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 09:11:02 AM by emerge »

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #120 on: July 18, 2019, 11:16:34 PM »
No takers on the turtle dicks? :tumbleweed:

Jackson Clinic
Mauston, WI

While it may look more like a biker meth den/torture chamber to some, it has endearing qualities and was apparently cobbled together in 1954 with a barn and a bunch of plywood. There’s a woodburning stove smack dab in the middle of the place. They didn’t have running water initially and had to bring ice in daily from town. Hope to check this one out on the Dells trip. It has more character than 90% of new breweries, i’ll say that.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #121 on: July 19, 2019, 11:49:13 PM »

WI Foodie maybe? Just saw the episode. They boil them on the grill :unsure:

Offline wisconsinbeer1

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Double IPA
  • 40 oz. to Freedom
« Reply #122 on: July 20, 2019, 06:29:37 PM »

It was this

https://www.travelchannel.com/shows/burger-land/episodes/wisconsins-burger-belt
“Great ballplayers drink Lite beer because it’s less filling. I know. I asked one.” -Bob Uecker

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #123 on: July 20, 2019, 07:07:19 PM »

It was this

https://www.travelchannel.com/shows/burger-land/episodes/wisconsins-burger-belt
Cool, i’ll check that out :cheers:

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
Re: Roxbury Tavern (1989-2018)
« Reply #124 on: July 24, 2019, 10:38:59 AM »

They used to throw piano burning parties up there too.
Video #2 on PBS

I found this excerpt about the Roxbury Tavern in an out-of-print book "Hungry for Wisconsin". The author wrote another WI travel book I own. It's sad this place was around for so long and loved by a lot of people, but there's not much about it online. This piece definitely captures a little bit of the spirit of the place. Really enjoyed going there for 10+ years, and will miss it.

:bye: :tldr:

"Watch Your Mouth

The jukebox got yanked because it was a cause of irritation and disagreement, as in turn that up, turn that down and who played this?

Then the pool table was removed. Always a source of conflict or argument, the barkeep concluded.

During football season, after a transient band of unruly Badger fans annoyed the regulars, the television was tossed. Im going to do it tomorrow morning, while Im still mad, the owner announced. He already had curbed smoking and tightened the noose on vulgarity.

"Would you please watch your language in here?" was the first warning, and if the swearing continued, the request would be repeated, nose-to-nose with the offending customer. Behavior, and clientele, soon changed.

So what is left at the Roxbury Tavern, in an unincorporated town whose only other draws are St. Norberts Church and the Dorf Haus restaurant?

"We drink good beer and talk to each other" :thumbup:, says Tom Gresser, the owner, who laughs far more easily than all this may indicate.

Among the regulars are farmers, doctors, teachers, lawyers, factory workers and retirees. Some of them plot political campaigns or events. Jim Hightower has been here. So has Congresswoman Tammy Baldwin.

We tell Tom that he needs to put lines on his bar napkins, so we can read whats been hatched the day after taking notes, says Gail Lamberty, who has helped organize Voices of the Progressive Traditions and Fighting Bob Fest, tributes to Robert La Follettes progressive politics.

Tom recalls refusing to post a County Board campaign poster in 1990, "because I didnt want to alienate anybody. Things have changed, but I try to not argue too much politics hell, there are still Republicans coming in here."

He dilutes the Roxburys reputation as just a place for liberals by sometimes bringing in musicians on Sunday afternoonsor organizing a couple of hours of James Joyce readings, to mark the anniversary of Ulysses, while customers eat Irish stew or steak-and-kidney pie.

He takes pride in presenting a comfortable space for everyone: single women, same-sex couples, races other than Caucasian and yes, conservatives. Benefit concerts have helped local charities. A wake for his beloved canine companion, Sam, included bluegrass music, a retired ministers eulogy and $1,800 raised for a veterinary medicine program at the University of Wisconsin.

The annual Geezers New Year celebration involves dinner and live music, but the tavern closes at 10 p.m.one hour later than usual.

On tap are four kinds of beer, three from little Lake Louie Brewing, in nearby Arena. Sugar-rimmed goblets are filled with Spanish coffee: add rum and Kahlua, top with whipped cream. The drink arrives flaming.

Put away any thoughts of ordering a Bud Light. There is none here.

On the menu are bison burgers and chicken reubens, an assortment of beef burgers and soups made on the premises. Wednesday is Spaghetti Night, with vegan, vegetarian and meat-eater varieties.

Not bad for a joint whose kitchen isnt much bigger than a closet and has no oven.

Add Taco Tuesdays, plus Cajun/Creole food on Thursdays and Saturdays, African peanut stew on occasion. Staff make their own fries and freeze cubes of tea for iced tea, so it wont taste watered down.

Add respectable local food suppliers Wyttenbach Meats, Carr Valley Cheese, Willow Creek Farm, Lodi Coffee Roasters, Webers Lodi Bakery, and you have the makings for a pub with memorable grub.

So the Roxbury Tavern isnt typical, although it may look that way from the outside.

Tom knows the place needs paint, and he credits St. Vincent de Paul in Prairie du Sac as a great place to shop for decor.

Tom paid one customer for a framed collection of antique fishing lures, another for a framed assortment of marbles. "When you want it back, just pay me back", he says.

A hammock hangs from the ceiling. So does a canoe and Mexican flag. An old poster of a Muslim art show is a little display of our tolerance. Two clocks show the time in west and east Roxbury (locals claim there is a ten-minute difference).

Elsewhere, magazines are scattered. A half-dozen copies of the New York Times arrive on Sunday mornings; most are picked up by regular customers.

When Tom bought the Roxbury Tavern in 1989, it was an average country tavern. softball, horseshoes, a lot of beer and a little food. He was 40 years old, had just returned from a West Coast hunt for horticulture work, and was not in the mood to work for someone else at an entry-level wage.

Four sisters who grew up on a farm near Dane, Rhonda, Christine, Lisa and Michelle Meier help Tom run the Roxbury. They make blueberry and apple-cinnamon pancakes for up to six dozen people on Sunday mornings, using organic flour that is freshly milled on the premises. Friend Lisa Lutz, who conducts cooking classes locally, has helped Tom refine the food, and the styling.

An elegant, framed certificate whose nine signatures include Ellen Kort of Appleton, Wisconsins first poet laureate, and Forevertron artist Tom Dr. Evermor Every of Baraboo, unabashedly established the Roxbury Rectangle in 2001 as a local version of New Yorks legendary Algonquin Roundtable.

Painted rocks by artist JoAnne Robarts jazz up the Roxbury. They include one that looks like a hamburger. Featuring the 2 -pound hamburger, Tom proclaimed, in a tavern advertisement. Bet you can't eat it.

Historian Jack Holzhueter, also the organist at St. Norberts, found his way to this tavern early on, in search of lunch. Now hes an ardent fan who describes the business as highly revered and much appreciated.

My life would be less rich without it, he insists. I hope I dont outlive the Roxbury Tavern."

Roxbury Tavern
8901 Highway Y, Roxbury
608-634-8434

RIP :cry:

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #125 on: July 24, 2019, 10:54:01 AM »
these posts make me realize how little i know about my home state

Offline Murphadam

• Trade Count: (0)
  • IPA
  • You're Awesome
« Reply #126 on: July 24, 2019, 10:54:38 AM »

I saw this episode and spent it baffled why this place could get so famous cooking burgers this way.  I barely saw any salt or other seasoning either.  Just boiled meat and onions on a soggy bun. Is this appetizing to anyone? 

« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 10:58:36 AM by Murphadam »

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #127 on: July 24, 2019, 10:57:55 AM »

I saw this episode and spent it baffled why this place could get so famous cooking burgers this way.  I never saw any salt or other seasoning either.  Just boiled meat and onions on a soggy bun. Is this appetizing to anyone?
Yeah, with all the grill splashing going on, then slapping them on a bun, idk how they *wouldn't* get soggy after a couple of minutes. I think they beauty is in scarfing it down right there on the curb.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #128 on: July 24, 2019, 11:00:13 AM »
these posts make me realize how little i know about my home state
It's a big damn state :cheers: Trying to seek out all the offbeat places is kinda my m.o. though.
Edit: here's the author's site with a lot of relevant WI stuff. http://roadstraveled.com
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 11:02:32 AM by emerge »

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #129 on: July 24, 2019, 01:32:47 PM »
I saw this episode and spent it baffled why this place could get so famous cooking burgers this way.  I barely saw any salt or other seasoning either.  Just boiled meat and onions on a soggy bun. Is this appetizing to anyone? 

i've eaten at places that make burgers this way & i make my own this way at times.

they need to be seasoned. otherwise, they're tasty  :shrug:

Offline JJ

• VIP Member
  • Barleywine
« Reply #130 on: July 24, 2019, 03:00:04 PM »
Basically boiling burgers in onion soup. In theory, doesn't sound horrible if there's an actual sear on the meat and not continually boiled.

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #131 on: July 24, 2019, 04:23:57 PM »
Basically boiling burgers in onion soup. In theory, doesn't sound horrible if there's an actual sear on the meat and not continually boiled.

Christopher Kimball says searing is bullshit

comments?  :coffee:

Offline Murphadam

• IPA
  • You're Awesome
« Reply #132 on: July 24, 2019, 06:24:07 PM »

On the meat in a stew maybe?  But he can't mean searing on a burger is bullshit. 

We don't "grill" burgers any more.  We put a big steel plate on the grill and make Kenji Lopez-Alt's smashies every time.  https://www.seriouseats.com/2014/03/the-food-lab-maximize-flavor-by-ultra-smashin.html 

Compare

to

Offline JJ

• VIP Member
  • Barleywine
« Reply #133 on: July 24, 2019, 07:26:36 PM »

I think his bowtie is on too tight. Source?

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #134 on: July 24, 2019, 07:57:36 PM »

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #135 on: July 24, 2019, 08:54:39 PM »

I think his bowtie is on too tight. Source?

Milk Street Radio podcasts

heard him with some barbecue & meat guy a couple weeks back. they were bashing searing.

Offline Murphadam

• IPA
  • You're Awesome
« Reply #136 on: July 24, 2019, 11:48:15 PM »

heard him with some barbecue & meat guy a couple weeks back. they were bashing searing.

Well who sears BBQ?  Pretty sure he's only talking about not bothering to sear when making heavily spiced stews.  I can't imagine Chris Kimball doesn't sear a burger or a steak.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/life/home-garden/2016/11/10/searing-leads-flavorful-dish-less-hassle/93614846/

Offline JJ

• VIP Member
  • Barleywine
« Reply #137 on: July 25, 2019, 08:48:31 AM »

Well who sears BBQ?  Pretty sure he's only talking about not bothering to sear when making heavily spiced stews.  I can't imagine Chris Kimball doesn't sear a burger or a steak.
https://www.detroitnews.com/story/life/home-garden/2016/11/10/searing-leads-flavorful-dish-less-hassle/93614846/
I would assume (hope) that was the context. The Maillard reaction is a scientifically proven fact.

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #138 on: July 25, 2019, 08:56:53 AM »

i think it was this podcast - https://www.177milkstreet.com/radio/bbq-myths-busted-meathead-goldwyn-breaks-your-bad-grilling-habits
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 09:02:27 AM by mr. furley »

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #139 on: July 25, 2019, 04:50:45 PM »
I was screwing around again :unsure: and came across a rural tavern where David Lynch filmed a scene for The Straight Story in 1999. Turns out it's "on the way", might have to stop in and see what's what. :ale: Book with film locations.

Mt. Zion Pub
Mt. Zion, WI
(43499 County Rd W, Boscobel, WI 53805)

Offline Murphadam

• IPA
  • You're Awesome
« Reply #140 on: July 25, 2019, 06:53:51 PM »

i think it was this podcast - https://www.177milkstreet.com/radio/bbq-myths-busted-meathead-goldwyn-breaks-your-bad-grilling-habits

OK it's cleared up.  They said that searing "to seal in juices" is bullshit, which is true.  They praised searing for maillard reaction. 

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #141 on: July 25, 2019, 10:50:31 PM »
this is why you never trust furley

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #142 on: July 28, 2019, 11:55:04 PM »
Drove past the Hat Rack, looked suuuper townie. Was already short on time so we didn’t stop. Went to the antique store nearby, tons of cool shit, forgot to ask about Ed Gein’s tombstone though. :doh: The guy working was very high, and perplexed when I asked about fish & duck decoys.

Will go someday. Hoping Jackson Clinic is receptive to a group...
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 12:00:29 AM by emerge »

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #143 on: August 01, 2019, 08:20:53 AM »
Sadly the 2 country bars west of Baraboo have had their proprietors pass away in the last few years. (Drea's Bar and Sprecher's Tavern) May still make it to Sprechers Tavern in Leland on the way to House Of The Rock, it looks like it may still be open.

Drove past Drea’s Bar, it was super remote. Drove down some roads that google maps wasn’t yet aware of. The bar looked cool, kind of stuck in time. There was a sign on the door that said “lodging available” with a phone number. A guy was loading a truck up in front of the house next door, so I didn’t want to bother him.

Drea’s Bar (RIP)
S7863 County Road G, Hill Point, WI 53937