Beer Discussion > Cellaring

How long?

(1/2) > >>

sunscar22:
I'm fairly new to craft beer and brand new to aging them.  I'm curious how long to age some of the following. 

Bourbon Barrel Barleywines (like Sucaba)
Stouts (Older viscosity, Parabola, BCBS, Abyss)
I also have a bourbon barrel imperial red that I'm curious about. 

Tip Top:
This is a question that is impossible to answer, imo.  It's all personal preference.

mr. furley:

--- Quote from: Tip Top on August 27, 2014, 08:20:56 AM ---This is a question that is impossible to answer, imo.  It's all personal preference.

--- End quote ---

:goodposting:

i've got a handful of various 2006 stouts in my basement.  not sure if they will be shit when i open them or not :shrug:

in the past i've unintentionally aged some beers.. not sure it made a bit of difference. 

Swabs:
My feeling is drink it now unless it's really boozy, you have a bunch, or you don't care for it (what do you have to lose).

rhoadsrage:

--- Quote from: Swabs on August 27, 2014, 11:05:08 AM ---My feeling is drink it now unless it's really boozy, you have a bunch, or you don't care for it (what do you have to lose).

--- End quote ---
  :goodposting:

If you only have one bottle drink it soon.  If it is to much alcohol, flavors don't work well together, has wild yeast/brett, or is over hoppy then age some.   Find some good and affordable bottles and do some verticals.   I don't care for bigfoot as much young as I do when it has some years on it.   I started buying a 6pack a year and then drink 1 from each year side by side. 

I have brewed a birthday beer for each of my kids births, to drink the last 6er when they are 21.   The big wheat wine and the iced wheat wine really have taken on some nice interesting changes over the last 5 years, but other big beers that have a high FG are just too sweet if the alcohol dies down. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version