search

Author Topic: How long?  (Read 868 times)

Offline sunscar22

• Trade Count: (0)
  • IPA
How long?
« on: August 27, 2014, 12:13:50 AM »
I'm fairly new to craft beer and brand new to aging them.  I'm curious how long to age some of the following. 

Bourbon Barrel Barleywines (like Sucaba)
Stouts (Older viscosity, Parabola, BCBS, Abyss)
I also have a bourbon barrel imperial red that I'm curious about. 

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
Re: How long?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 08:20:56 AM »
This is a question that is impossible to answer, imo.  It's all personal preference.

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Geuze
  • signed life away on the internet totally worth it
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 09:30:08 AM »
This is a question that is impossible to answer, imo.  It's all personal preference.

:goodposting:

i've got a handful of various 2006 stouts in my basement.  not sure if they will be shit when i open them or not :shrug:

in the past i've unintentionally aged some beers.. not sure it made a bit of difference. 
Quote from: urbanhack
my head was buried in shuke's tits.
TITS help you hit home runs.

Offline Swabs

• Where's my parrot hat?
  • VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Barleywine
  • Furley is amazNOG
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 11:05:08 AM »
My feeling is drink it now unless it's really boozy, you have a bunch, or you don't care for it (what do you have to lose).
Gilly> this is totally murdering my unicorn blood boner

Offline rhoadsrage

• VIP Member
  • Double IPA
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 11:28:44 AM »
My feeling is drink it now unless it's really boozy, you have a bunch, or you don't care for it (what do you have to lose).
  :goodposting:

If you only have one bottle drink it soon.  If it is to much alcohol, flavors don't work well together, has wild yeast/brett, or is over hoppy then age some.   Find some good and affordable bottles and do some verticals.   I don't care for bigfoot as much young as I do when it has some years on it.   I started buying a 6pack a year and then drink 1 from each year side by side. 

I have brewed a birthday beer for each of my kids births, to drink the last 6er when they are 21.   The big wheat wine and the iced wheat wine really have taken on some nice interesting changes over the last 5 years, but other big beers that have a high FG are just too sweet if the alcohol dies down. 

"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth."  --Mike Tyson

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
    • Research page @ Lambic.info
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 05:44:39 PM »

If you have a spare Sucaba and Parabola, save one and compare to a fresh one next time they come out. Best way to get an idea if it "improves" or not.

In my experience, most beer doesn't really improve, it merely holds up. In the case of boozier beers, the mellowness that comes with age can be seen as an improvement, but as TT said it's all personal preference. I cellar a few things that I know will keep well, vs. putting a bunch of random things away to see what happens. That's a big waste of money, imho.

Offline chi_dave

• Quadrupel
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 09:35:45 PM »
The only aged beer I've had where it was without a doubt better than fresh was/is Bell's Batch 9,000.  The big boozy stouts are still pretty tasty, but nothing fantastic enough to justify saving a single bottle for years.

The beer that should definitely not be cellared? Dark Lord. Holy syrupy mess. When the coffee fades, it's pure diabeetus.

Offline sunscar22

• IPA
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2014, 10:10:16 PM »
Thanks guys.  This was all very helpful.  I did buy multiples of some beers to try one each year side by side with a fresh one.  I also have a 2012 Dark Lord someone sent me so I guess I'll open that soon.  I normally like em a little boozy so if it mellows out too much then I probably won't like it as much.