search

Author Topic: OK I'm in. Let the fun begin!  (Read 2021 times)

Offline wingnut

• TBS Founding Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Pale Ale
OK I'm in. Let the fun begin!
« on: August 26, 2014, 10:16:48 PM »
So I'm getting into home brewing. A friend gave me a 1 gallon kit that I managed to screw up (boil not vigorous enough, possible bad yeast and/or underpitched, too high ferm temp), but it was fun and I'm gonna give this a serious go.  After following the simple directions on the kit, I didn't really understand what exactly was going in in each step, so I've been reading up on home brewing and I think I have a basic grasp. I'm going with extract for a while, or until I really understand the process and make some mistakes and learn a few things. I'm in no hurry to go AG any time soon. Baby steps.

I'm gonna go with 2.5 gallon batches to get my feet wet, with some 1 gallon test batches here and there. I just ordered a bunch of stuff from Northern Brewer, as well as some stuff that came with my kit, and I think I've got almost everything I need to start, but I'm looking for a used chest freezer or fridge to use as a temp controlled fermentation chamber. Here in Florida its not easy to keep constant, low enough fermentation temp without equipment, and I might as well do it right. So I'm not gonna start my first official batch until I get one, which should be a week or so.

As of now, I've got (or have on the way)

Propane turkey fryer with a huge pot I've has for years and used exactly twice. I can do small batches on my stove, but I'm sure I'll want to move up to 5 gal at some point.
3 gallon kettle pot
1 gallon carboy
3 gallon carboy
Various sizes of food grade buckets w/lids
stoppers, airlocks, tubing, funnels, turkey baster
Thermometer
Hydrometer w/test jar
Starsan
Fine mesh strainers
Grain bags
Hop pellets (Citra, cascade, centennial, simcoe, mosaic, Amarillo, Chinook, and 1 or 2 more)
Malt extract (liquid and dry, approx 18lbs combined)
Steeping grains (3lbs of 20L and 60L crystal)
Several packs of dry yeast (Safale US-05 ale)
Whirlfloc tablets
Bottle of Fermcap
48 16oz swing top bottles w/100 pack extra gaskets ($50 on craigslist)
Bottle tree
Vinator bottle rinser

So I think ive got enough for a few initial batches (Im starting out doing IPAs) once I get a ferm chamber.  Ill also probably pick up a couple more carboys locally. Also downloaded beersmith app which is still a little over my head, but I also have the BrewR app and I have a few basic recipes entered into it. I'm figuring out how to craft recipes now, and trying to get a grasp on everything from all the different calculations and terms. OG, FG, IBU, Efficiency, AAUs, SRM, etc are all new to me but I think I'm starting to grasp it. I guess I always knew there would be a learning curve, which is why I never got into it before, but I'm finding it really interesting and fun learning this stuff.

So there ya go. Y'all have a new newbie to mess with and make fun of. I'll be posting my trials, errors, and everything in between for y'all to critique, criticize, make fun of, or encourage. If anyone has any good basic recipes for noobs, feel free to share.

That is all. I'm psyched to get started!!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 10:33:24 PM by wingnut »

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
Re: OK I'm in. Let the fun begin!
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 08:31:40 AM »
A three gallon kettle is going to make boils for 2.5 gallon batches very difficult without having boil overs.  I'd suggest getting at least a 5 gallon pot, but know that you'll want a bigger one when you do 5 gallon batches, so I'd plan ahead and not have to buy again right away.

Offline ntz08

• VIP Member
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 09:16:01 AM »
if you already have the kettle from the turkey fryer, I would just start there. Almost every recipe starts @ 5 gal and you'll be adjusting calculations to do smaller batches, which isn't difficult but an extra step.

You can easily make  5 gal extract batches and then split them into smaller volumes to ferment with different yeasts to produce different beers.  If you're worried about fermentation, stick with ales for now, and consider saisons and other styles that ferment at higher temps.

Ton of info out there on homebrewtalk and byo and etc, and lots of recipes.

Offline wingnut

• TBS Founding Member
  • Pale Ale
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 03:11:02 PM »
Yeah I figure I'll use the 3 gallon pot for my 1 gal test batches, and the big pot for my regular batches.

looking at a couple of freezers on craigslist, won't be long before I'm making my first batch!

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 03:47:24 PM »
Yeah I figure I'll use the 3 gallon pot for my 1 gal test batches, and the big pot for my regular batches.

looking at a couple of freezers on craigslist, won't be long before I'm making my first batch!

Nothing worse that making a great beer then realizing you only have one gallon of it.

Offline rhoadsrage

• VIP Member
  • Double IPA
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 04:06:13 PM »

Nothing worse that making a great beer then realizing you only have one gallon of it.

Usually the first batches go so fast that by the time you get to the last beer it has matured enough that is really is great.  Except that one batch that of Heineken clone we thought we could lager with a wet tshirt and a fan.   Thanks Papazian.   
"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth."  --Mike Tyson

Offline wingnut

• TBS Founding Member
  • Pale Ale
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 07:39:02 PM »

Right, but then I can make a full batch, and if it sucks...well, I'll give it to my neighbors. Lol

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2014, 08:15:34 PM »

Right, but then I can make a full batch, and if it sucks...well, I'll give it to my neighbors. Lol

Same amount of effort to make 1 gallon vs. 5. :shrug: 

Offline wingnut

• TBS Founding Member
  • Pale Ale
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2014, 09:28:43 PM »

Same amount of effort to make 1 gallon vs. 5. :shrug:
I'm mainly gonna do 2.5 gal....just a 1 gal here or there to test new recioes or techniques.

Not ready for 5 gal yet. Maybe after a few successful batches.

Offline rhoadsrage

• VIP Member
  • Double IPA
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2014, 10:37:42 PM »
You can also split batches do different hops, yeasts, add brett., wine, coffee, wood, fruit, herbs, stale bread, hot stones, milk, honey, kombucha, tea, etc. 
"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth."  --Mike Tyson

Offline ntz08

• VIP Member
  • Quadrupel
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2014, 10:56:43 PM »
we get what you're thinking but you'll go through 5 gal in no time. especially with bigger beers.

You can brew something high gravity, split and add different amounts of H2O to get both a bigger bear and a session version. Or just two completely different beers with some of the additions rhoadsrage mentioned.

It's going to take you ~3-4 hrs from start to finish if you brew 2 gal or 5. We started doing extract batches and we probably did two or three 5 gal batches/week for a while before we went mini-mash and then jumped to all grain.

You'll drink a decent amount  but you'll also give away a ton, both good and meh.

Offline wingnut

• TBS Founding Member
  • Pale Ale
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2014, 06:21:00 PM »
Just measured my turkey fryer pot, its 7 gallons...so I could do 5 gallon batches with partial boils as well as maybe 3 gallon batches of full boil (3 gal would net me approx a case of 16oz bottles, which sounds lovely)

So many options and decisions to make...

For those doing full boil 5 gallon batches, what size pots are you using?

Online howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Barleywine
  • If I've offended you, it made me happy.
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2014, 07:43:39 PM »
Just measured my turkey fryer pot, its 7 gallons...so I could do 5 gallon batches with partial boils as well as maybe 3 gallon batches of full boil (3 gal would net me approx a case of 16oz bottles, which sounds lovely)

So many options and decisions to make...

For those doing full boil 5 gallon batches, what size pots are you using?

You can do a 5 gallon boil in a 7 gallon pot, but make sure you have some fermcap handy.  I bought a 10 gallon Blichmann pot do do my 5 gallon batches, but that's a substantial investment.  If you're like most of us, you'll get over extract and partial mash pretty quickly and want to get into all grain.  It's a relatively small investment (<$100), and totally worth it.

Offline wingnut

• TBS Founding Member
  • Pale Ale
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2014, 09:57:57 PM »
Final piece of equipment (for now) secured. Just picked up a 7 cubic foot chest freezer from Craigslist for $60.

Temp controlled fermentation is a go.

:pickle:

I've dropped enough start up cash in this, now let's see if I can make something worth drinking.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 10:02:24 PM by wingnut »

Offline chi_dave

• Quadrupel
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2014, 12:05:40 PM »
Just a heads up that if your turkey fryer pot is aluminum, you may want to upgrade to a stainless steel pot. My first few batches were in the aluminum pot that came with the fryer and they had a weird aftertaste. A fellow homebrewer recommended the switch and the aftertaste was gone when I started using a stainless steel kettle.

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2014, 12:23:21 PM »
Just a heads up that if your turkey fryer pot is aluminum, you may want to upgrade to a stainless steel pot. My first few batches were in the aluminum pot that came with the fryer and they had a weird aftertaste. A fellow homebrewer recommended the switch and the aftertaste was gone when I started using a stainless steel kettle.

Aluminum if fine to brew with if you boil a batch of water in it first to get a "film" built up.  You just have to make sure to not scratch that film off.  My first brew pot was aluminum and I had no off flavors.

Offline wingnut

• TBS Founding Member
  • Pale Ale
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2014, 01:35:02 PM »

Aluminum if fine to brew with if you boil a batch of water in it first to get a "film" built up.  You just have to make sure to not scratch that film off.  My first brew pot was aluminum and I had no off flavors.
Did this the other day, boiled water for an hour. I wanted to make sure my fryer burner was good after sitting for the last 6-7 years in a garage, so I figured Id kill 2 birds...plus, I scrubbed the pot really good last week so it needed the boil.

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2014, 01:42:31 PM »
Hearing you get all excited makes me want to brew this weekend.  Now I just have to figure out a time to do it.

Offline wingnut

• TBS Founding Member
  • Pale Ale
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2014, 10:27:59 PM »

After a batch, how do you clean the pot without removing the film?

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2014, 11:39:25 PM »

No scrubbing.  If you clean it right away, everything comes off super easy since it's still wet.

Online howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Barleywine
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2014, 09:48:47 AM »

No scrubbing.  If you clean it right away, everything comes off super easy since it's still wet.

I've used a green pad for scrubbing without interfering with the film, so you should be fine.

Offline wingnut

• TBS Founding Member
  • Pale Ale
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2014, 08:47:58 PM »
Got my Northern Brewing order yesterday...hooked up the Johnson A19 controller to my chest freezer...after 24 hours its holding liquid at a steady 64-65 degrees (controller set to 65). I've got the probe taped to a carboy of water for the test. Probe is covered w/bubble wrap to measure the liquid/carboy instead of the ambient temp in the freezer...I know its probably not a 100% accurate reading, but the ambient temp is fluctuating a bit (+/- 5 degrees) when the freezer kicks on, yet the liquid is staying +/- 1 degree from the setting.

I'd call this test a success, so Ive got pretty solid temp controlled fermentation. Itll be interesting to see how much warmer the wort is due to the yeast activity vs the ambient temp in the freezer.

So, this weekend I'll be cooking up my first batch...well, maybe 2 batches...I've got a 1 gal Dead Ringer kit to use, so I'll probably go ahead and do that, as well as a 2.5 gallon batch of either White House Honey Ale (free recipe kit w/my NB order), or a Citra IPA. I'll decide on brew day.

Soooo stoked to get this thing started!!!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 08:51:37 PM by wingnut »

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2014, 09:25:39 PM »
 :thumbup:

Offline Jaysus

• TBS Founding Member
  • Double IPA
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2014, 09:15:15 AM »
starting off with a ferm chamber is $Ted.Danson!

Offline wingnut

• TBS Founding Member
  • Pale Ale
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2014, 07:36:14 PM »
I think this Wednesday will be brew day.

Any of the few reading this thread ferment in buckets? I'm gonna be doing both carboy and bucket, just wondering which you prefer and why.

Online howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Barleywine
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2014, 08:27:50 AM »
I think this Wednesday will be brew day.

Any of the few reading this thread ferment in buckets? I'm gonna be doing both carboy and bucket, just wondering which you prefer and why.

As long as it's a quick ferment, a bucket is fine.  They're way easier to clean, but they also allow more oxygen to touch your beer.  I use carboys because I can't fit two buckets in my fermentation freezer.

Offline Jaysus

• TBS Founding Member
  • Double IPA
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2014, 09:36:09 AM »
I try really hard to avoid fermenting in carboys...

Offline coldchill

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Old Ale
  • Foul balls are yours to keep.
    • Bootknocker Brewing Co.
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2014, 12:46:39 PM »

:goodposting: Color me jealous.

"beaver butt is not kosher"

Offline wingnut

• TBS Founding Member
  • Pale Ale
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2014, 08:27:58 PM »

:goodposting: Color me jealous.
Total cost: $140

$60 for the 7.2 cubic ft Magic Chef chest freezer (craigslist)
$80 for the Johnson digital controller (northernbrewer)

After reading tons of threads on brewing forums, I saw lots of home brewers say getting a ferm chamber w/temp control was one of, of not the best investment they made, and pretty much all of them said it improved their finished product. I figured $140 was worth it to start off with it, especially here in FL where its almost always in the mid 70s in my house.

Offline wingnut

• TBS Founding Member
  • Pale Ale
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2014, 08:28:29 PM »
Why?

Offline Jaysus

• TBS Founding Member
  • Double IPA
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2014, 08:48:06 AM »
Why?
mostly because I do not like cleaning them

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2014, 08:50:19 AM »
Why?

Big mouth bubblers ftw.

Offline coldchill

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Old Ale
  • Foul balls are yours to keep.
    • Bootknocker Brewing Co.
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2014, 08:57:24 AM »
Why?

Big mouth bubblers ftw.

Glass or plastic?  I know Kevin is a huge fan of the plastic ones.  I'm still bucketing the primary and using a carboy for clarifying/dryhopping.  I would like to add one or two to the arsenal.
"beaver butt is not kosher"

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2014, 09:00:06 AM »
Why?

Big mouth bubblers ftw.

Glass or plastic?  I know Kevin is a huge fan of the plastic ones.  I'm still bucketing the primary and using a carboy for clarifying/dryhopping.  I would like to add one or two to the arsenal.

I don't have any plastic ones, but love the glass one I have.

Online howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Barleywine
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2014, 09:04:01 AM »
I will be buying a few of the plastic ones.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
    • Research page @ Lambic.info
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2014, 12:21:34 PM »
Isn't plastic more susceptible to harboring bacteria over time if scratched, dented, etc?
I guess a scratch inside a carboy is less likely (maybe from cleaning), but i'm certainly no expert.

Online howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Barleywine
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2014, 12:58:34 PM »
Isn't plastic more susceptible to harboring bacteria over time if scratched, dented, etc?
I guess a scratch inside a carboy is less likely (maybe from cleaning), but i'm certainly no expert.

That's the drawback to plastic.  I scratched the first bucket I ever used, the first time I used it, but haven't scratched one since.  The drawback to glass is it's heavy, awkward, and going to be extremely dangerous if you drop it.  Stainless is just fucking expensive.

Offline Swabs

• Where's my parrot hat?
  • VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Barleywine
  • Furley is amazNOG
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2014, 05:10:33 PM »
Why?

Big mouth bubblers ftw.

How have I not known these exist?
Gilly> this is totally murdering my unicorn blood boner

Offline Jaysus

• TBS Founding Member
  • Double IPA
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2014, 05:13:57 PM »
Big Mouth Bubbler Warning: http://www.reddit.com/r/Homebrewing/comments/2bz4la/lets_consider_putting_a_big_mouth_bubbler_warning/

(I have not read that, just passing it along)

Offline Swabs

• Where's my parrot hat?
  • VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Barleywine
  • Furley is amazNOG
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2014, 05:24:32 PM »
So you can't pour boiling wort into a carboy without the chance of having issues? :rolleyes:
Gilly> this is totally murdering my unicorn blood boner

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2014, 05:24:51 PM »
Big Mouth Bubbler Warning: http://www.reddit.com/r/Homebrewing/comments/2bz4la/lets_consider_putting_a_big_mouth_bubbler_warning/

(I have not read that, just passing it along)

Interesting.  I've never had an issue. :shrug:

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2014, 05:25:13 PM »
So you can't pour boiling wort into a carboy without the chance of having issues? :rolleyes:

Yeah, I don't know how anyone expects that to end well.

Offline braconid

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Old Ale
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2014, 07:47:11 AM »
Why?

Big mouth bubblers ftw.

How have I not known these exist?

I have 3 of the 6.5 gallon plastic big mouth ones.  They are awesome.  I just do an oxyclean soak after fermentation so nothing capable of scratching is ever in there.