search

Author Topic: Wrightville Beach/Wilmington NC  (Read 692 times)

Offline chi_dave

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Quadrupel
Wrightville Beach/Wilmington NC
« on: August 03, 2014, 12:24:31 PM »
There's a brewery - Front Street - that we're planning on hitting up, but that seems like the only brewery around according to this map: http://www.ncbeer.org/brewery-map/

Are there any great shops or bars in the area? I'm not super familiar with NC beers, so are there any mainstays that I should hit up at the grocery store?

Offline dlj

• VIP Member
  • Pale Ale
Re: Wrightville Beach/Wilmington NC
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 06:19:52 PM »
I visit the area regularly.  There are several new breweries in the area.  Broomtail  is pretty good.  Regional breweries include beer army and Mother Earth brewing.  The area gets several of the Asheville brewries including green man and most of the other nc breweries.  The best beer store in the area is next to WrightsvilleBeach.  It is the lighthouse beer and wine.  Remember this is the south and liquor sales are not allowed before noon on Sunday and all of the liquor stores are state run.

The beer scene here is pretty young.  A couple of years ago there was little to nothing.  There are several beer bars with a decent selection more popping up on a regular basis. 

Let me know if there is anything else you would like to know.

Offline chi_dave

• Quadrupel
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 11:51:37 AM »
This is really helpful. I wonder why the NC brewer's guild website doesn't have these breweries listed?

Lighthouse is just up the street from where we're staying, so I have plans to visit later today. I'll have to see if I can convince the wife to work in visits to the other breweries.

Offline dlj

• VIP Member
  • Pale Ale
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 05:00:11 PM »
Cape fear beer and wine downtown, the Ogden tap room in Ogden and the satellite bar (dogfriendly) are popular bars.  The main bar district is downtown.  I prefer a bar near the water.  My favorite is the ocean grill and tiki bar on carolina beach.  They have a bar on a pier over the beach and surf.  Very relaxing.

FYI:  wilmington has a lot of movies filmed there and in the area.  Iron man series, under the dome, safe haven, weekend at Bernie's and revolution are a few popular names

Have fun.