search

Author Topic: Must stops with little time to spare - MT & WY  (Read 850 times)

Offline tavernjef

• TBS Founding Member
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Old Ale
Must stops with little time to spare - MT & WY
« on: July 16, 2014, 07:19:43 PM »
I'm taking a photo trek trip thru S. Dakota, will be in the Black Hills for a few days then heading thru that north east quad of Wyoming onto and thru Montana to Bozeman, Missoula, and Glacier National Park.
Last week of July to Aug. 6th

Any must stop Brewpubs along the way?

Might have time for a lunch here or there whilst traveling across the states...

Please PM me with any details.

Thanks.
Life without beer is too terrible to contemplate.

Offline Swabs

• Where's my parrot hat?
  • VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Barleywine
  • Furley is amazNOG
Re: Must stops with little time to spare - MT & WY
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 08:44:26 PM »
There's some good ones in Missoula.  Montana Brewing in Billings is solid, but nothing that will blow you away.  Don't go to Crow Peak in Spearfish, it sucks.  The area is really cool and I could tell you some lesser known awesome places if you'd like.  Devil's Bathtub is a good time.

p.s. this is not a PM :unsure:
Gilly> this is totally murdering my unicorn blood boner

Offline tavernjef

• TBS Founding Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 09:26:27 PM »
There's some good ones in Missoula.  Montana Brewing in Billings is solid, but nothing that will blow you away.  Don't go to Crow Peak in Spearfish, it sucks.  The area is really cool and I could tell you some lesser known awesome places if you'd like.  Devil's Bathtub is a good time.

p.s. this is not a PM :unsure:

:lol:

Lesser known is good as well...

please.....do tell

Offline Swabs

• Where's my parrot hat?
  • VIP Member
  • Barleywine
  • Furley is amazNOG
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 10:41:29 PM »
Well Devil's Tower is always cool.  Spearfish Canyon is beautimous and that's where Devil's Bathtub is.  Also Pactola Lake and Iron Creek (Mary's suggestions, she a local).  In Custer State Park there's Sylvan Lake or Centre Lake.

Offline tavernjef

• TBS Founding Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 10:26:25 PM »
...and for beery things?

Know of anything worth a stop?  :popcorn:

Offline smellysell

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Old Ale
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 01:23:05 AM »
Carter's was probably my favorite brewery in Billings, and Angry Hank's is good too. Didn't really like any of the breweries in Bozeman, but I've heard good things about 406 (I think that's what it's called). Kettlehouse and Bayern in Missoula are both solid, and the Iron Horse has a bunch of MT beers on tap.  Helena is probably out of the way from your plans, but there is 60 gallons of lambic you can drink straight from the barrel in my basement...

Also have heard good things about the brewery in Phillipsburgh, and it's pretty awesome between there and Georgetown Lake. Also an amazing candy store there.

Make sure you bring growlers, because you can only drink 3 pints in Montana tap rooms. Also keep in mind that all my recommendations are 3+ years old. I'm gonna be in Glacier actually right around the same time as you, but unfortunately for work so can't meet up.  :(

Any other questions let me know.  :thumbup:

This also isn't a PM

Javit› Nothing kills a boner like Jesus

braconid› I could have fucked her, but she was pure so I just went with the oral

Offline tavernjef

• TBS Founding Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 11:09:45 PM »
 :goodposting:  :thumbup:

(except for not being able to meet)  :(
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 11:12:33 PM by tavernjef »

Offline Oxymoron

• Double IPA
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 07:45:25 PM »
Rapid City has Firehouse.  Its a brewpub and downtown but there isn't much in South Dakota to talk about.  I've had a few offerings from Crow Peak.  I didn't think it was terrible.  Just not good.  But what are your expectations...you are in South Dakota.

Offline tavernjef

• TBS Founding Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2014, 08:35:04 AM »
Made stops along the way at Firehouse, Crow Peak, Prairie Fire, Kettle Works, Flathead Lake, Draught Works, and Montana Brewing  :ale:

Offline Swabs

• Where's my parrot hat?
  • VIP Member
  • Barleywine
  • Furley is amazNOG
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2014, 10:16:13 AM »
Made stops along the way at Firehouse, Crow Peak, Prairie Fire, Kettlehouse Works, Flathead Lake, Draught Works, and Montana Brewing  :ale:

Offline tavernjef

• TBS Founding Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2014, 08:58:13 PM »
Made stops along the way at Firehouse, Crow Peak, Prairie Fire, Kettlehouse Works, Flathead Lake, Draught Works, and Montana Brewing  :ale:

typo  :furley:

Online mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Geuze
  • signed life away on the internet totally worth it
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2014, 01:05:42 PM »
reviews?
Quote from: urbanhack
my head was buried in shuke's tits.
TITS help you hit home runs.

Offline tavernjef

• TBS Founding Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2014, 06:29:21 PM »
reviews?

Firehouse - Food :thumbup: - Beers :-\
Crow Peak - Food & Beer :thumbup:
Prairie Fire - Food & Beer = meh :shrug:
Kettlehouse- Beer only  :thumbup:
Flathead Lake - Beer only  :thumbup:
Draught Works - Beer only :thumbup: :thumbup:
Montana Brewing - Food  :thumbup: :thumbup: - Beer  :thumbup:

Offline Men-in-Cleats

• TBS Founding Member
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Old Ale
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2014, 12:45:24 PM »
Rapid City has Firehouse.  Its a brewpub and downtown but there isn't much in South Dakota to talk about.  I've had a few offerings from Crow Peak.  I didn't think it was terrible.  Just not good.  But what are your expectations...you are in South Dakota.

The South Dakota beer scene is all relatively new, wasn't much of anything at all there back when I was living in Rapid City in the early to mid 90's and I haven't had time to go exploring around the few times I've been back since then.  Back then pretty much everything anybody in the area had on tap was macros and you were overjoyed if someone had Fat Tire available.  It's been a few years since I've been able to go back there and I don't think Crow Peak was even there yet, or I hadn't heard about it.  My parents are in Sundance about a half hour from Spearfish.

Offline Men-in-Cleats

• TBS Founding Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2014, 12:49:32 PM »
Well Devil's Tower is always cool.  Spearfish Canyon is beautimous and that's where Devil's Bathtub is.  Also Pactola Lake and Iron Creek (Mary's suggestions, she a local).  In Custer State Park there's Sylvan Lake or Centre Lake.

Didn't know Mary was from Spearfish area.  Used to do a mountain bike race out at Iron Creek area and used to fish on Pactola as a kid.  Spearfish Canyon is definitely beautiful, our neighbor's had access to a family cabin up there that was awesome.  Married my ex-wife right at Sylvan Lake and used to camp at Center Lake all of the time growing up.  All were good recommendations.

Offline smellysell

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Old Ale
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2014, 09:27:28 PM »

Didn't know Mary was from Spearfish area.  Used to do a mountain bike race out at Iron Creek area and used to fish on Pactola as a kid.  Spearfish Canyon is definitely beautiful, our neighbor's had access to a family cabin up there that was awesome.  Married my ex-wife right at Sylvan Lake and used to camp at Center Lake all of the time growing up.  All were good recommendations.

I know you went to school in Laramie, but where did you grow up?

Javit› Nothing kills a boner like Jesus

braconid› I could have fucked her, but she was pure so I just went with the oral

Offline Men-in-Cleats

• TBS Founding Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2014, 11:32:06 AM »

I know you went to school in Laramie, but where did you grow up?

North of Newell, SD which is probably about a half-hour northeast of Spearfish.  I was up on the prairie another 40 miles north of Newell on a ranch up until after my sophomore year of high school when my parents moved to Sundance, WY.

Online mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2014, 12:53:31 PM »
i've always been curious about living somewhere so remote.  were there other kids around?

Offline Men-in-Cleats

• TBS Founding Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2014, 02:08:35 PM »
i've always been curious about living somewhere so remote.  were there other kids around?

Best friends for my brother and I were a pair of boys that were 4 miles down the road from us on one side.  Closest family 3 miles the other direction had sons and daughters a good bit older than myself (the daughters used to be our babysitters for a while) and one tag-a-long daughter that was in my little brother's class.  Elementary school was 18-20 kids grade K-8 and, unfortunately for me, most of the kids in the school that were closest to my age were girls.  From about 4th to 8th grade I was the only kid in my grade.  My school I went to kindergarten in would have been most fascinating to you.  It was the classic "Little House on the Prairie" one room classroom with a pot-bellied stove in the corner, old-fashioned hand pump in the entryway, and a two-seater outhouse out back.  It was the same classroom my great grandfather went to while his parents were homesteading not far from there.  They moved us to a more modern building with indoor plumbing for my 1st grade year.

The school was a few miles from this place, which was where locals used to gather on Sunday afternoons during the winter to shoot the breeze and play cards, typically 10-point pitch.  When we were little we'd play around outside the store or beg our parents for quarters for the pool table and when I got into my teens was able to join in on the card games.  All in all it was cool as an area to grow up in but definitely isolated, you had to get along with your siblings or you didn't have anyone to play with most of the time.

Online mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Geuze
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2014, 02:36:55 PM »
i'm fascinated by this   :thumbup: