search

Author Topic: Kombucha  (Read 4199 times)

Offline thickfreakness

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
Kombucha
« on: July 11, 2014, 11:00:16 AM »
I brewed my first batch of kombucha last weekend with a friend's scoby starter. Smells great so far! Excited to be fermenting something again. I wish I had the room for beer at my condo, but I just don't. My first batch is 1 gallon and I'll be ramping up to 2 gallons next weekend. I think my first fruit blend will be peaches and mint.

Offline coldchill

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Old Ale
  • Foul balls are yours to keep.
    • Bootknocker Brewing Co.
Re: Kombucha
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 12:15:51 PM »
I plan on giving this a try in the near future.  Apocalipstick really liked the Buchi stuff she had at the East Nashville Beer Festival a couple of years ago, but we've never been able to find it in stores.  I've got this e-book on hold at the library, should be available in the next week or so.

"beaver butt is not kosher"

Offline James Kitchens

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Barleywine
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 01:28:16 PM »
I've got this e-book on hold at the library, should be available in the next week or so.

Isn't that the idea of an "e-book"? That it's "e" and not a physical book, which means it wouldn't have not be on hold.  :confused:
"Tenny mucho mucho deniro in su trucky trailer?"

Offline coldchill

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Old Ale
  • Foul balls are yours to keep.
    • Bootknocker Brewing Co.
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 02:02:48 PM »
I've got this e-book on hold at the library, should be available in the next week or so.

Isn't that the idea of an "e-book"? That it's "e" and not a physical book, which means it wouldn't have not be on hold.  :confused:

The library purchases a certain number of licenses.  Only that many copies of the e-book can be out at one time.  Our library has 1 copy of the Kambucha book and someone currently has it checked out.  When you check out an e-book, you check it out for 1, 2, or 3 weeks.  When it expires, it quits working on your reader and is available for the next person in line.
"beaver butt is not kosher"

Offline JJ

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 02:09:21 PM »
There isn't a lot I can't stomach. This is one :-X
The Force is what gives a brewer his power. It's an energy field created by yeast. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It converts polysaccharides to ethyl alcohol.

Offline Swabs

• Where's my parrot hat?
  • VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Barleywine
  • Furley is amazNOG
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 03:59:46 PM »
Mary loves this shit, I think it's nasty.
Gilly> this is totally murdering my unicorn blood boner

Offline wisconsinbeer1

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Double IPA
  • 40 oz. to Freedom
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2014, 12:28:32 AM »
I brewed my first batch of kombucha last weekend with a friend's scoby starter. Smells great so far! Excited to be fermenting something again. I wish I had the room for beer at my condo, but I just don't. My first batch is 1 gallon and I'll be ramping up to 2 gallons next weekend. I think my first fruit blend will be peaches and mint.

My wife really wants to get into this and I think it might be a cool thing to try. Any chance I can get the recipe and instructions you used?
“Great ballplayers drink Lite beer because it’s less filling. I know. I asked one.” -Bob Uecker

Offline thickfreakness

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2014, 09:41:50 PM »

My wife really wants to get into this and I think it might be a cool thing to try. Any chance I can get the recipe and instructions you used?

I can write something up. You'll have to source a scoby though. If you can buy some plain unfiltered kombucha, you can make your own.

Offline wisconsinbeer1

• VIP Member
  • Double IPA
  • 40 oz. to Freedom
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2014, 12:21:45 AM »

I can write something up. You'll have to source a scoby though. If you can buy some plain unfiltered kombucha, you can make your own.

Ya i was going to try the make your own scoby route but figured it might be easier the first time to just buy one.
“Great ballplayers drink Lite beer because it’s less filling. I know. I asked one.” -Bob Uecker

Offline thickfreakness

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 02:53:38 PM »

Ya i was going to try the make your own scoby route but figured it might be easier the first time to just buy one.

The instructions are pretty dang simple. Boil one gallon of water, turn it off and steep either 2 tbsp of loose green tea in a nutmilk bag or 10 bags of green tea for 10-15 minutes. At the end, stir in 1 cup of plain sugar. Cool to room temperature and put in glass container with 2 cups of starter kombucha and scoby. Let it sit to desired tartness and either bottle plain or blend with fruit mixture. Make sure to save 2 cups of kombucha plus the scoby for your next batch. Always use glass containers for fermenting and bottling the kombucha.

For my first batch, I blended the kombucha with a puree of 8 local peaches, half a small bushel of mint and an inch of ginger. It is deeeeeeelicious.

Offline wisconsinbeer1

• VIP Member
  • Double IPA
  • 40 oz. to Freedom
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2014, 10:28:28 PM »
Sounds fantastic! Thanks much.  :cheers: