search

Author Topic: Cellaring in general  (Read 4328 times)

Offline Swabs

• Where's my parrot hat?
  • VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Barleywine
  • Furley is amazNOG
Re: Cellaring in general
« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2010, 10:24:24 AM »
Opened up my temp controlled fridge cellar today to find the beer I grabbed feeling warm to the touch.  Looked at the thermometer and it was sitting just above 75 ####in degrees. :thumbdown:  Apparently its dead, thank god I moved to a place with a basement so I just moved them down there.  I wonder how long it has been dead though.

You're screwed

Your mom is screwed.  Oh shit.......

I unplugged the temp controller and plugged the fridge in and it's still working.  I then lowered the temp on the controller down and I heard it click on.  I also think the thermometer I was using is dead because it says that the closet in the basement is over 70 degrees:bs:

that doesn't seem out of line for the middle of summer.

It does when the highs max out around 85.
Gilly> this is totally murdering my unicorn blood boner

Offline KingG

• VIP and TBS Founding Member
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Old Ale
    • Bine & Vine Bottle Shop
« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2010, 01:34:13 PM »
Opened up my temp controlled fridge cellar today to find the beer I grabbed feeling warm to the touch.  Looked at the thermometer and it was sitting just above 75 ####in degrees. :thumbdown:  Apparently its dead, thank god I moved to a place with a basement so I just moved them down there.  I wonder how long it has been dead though.

You're screwed

I unplugged the temp controller and plugged the fridge in and it's still working.  I then lowered the temp on the controller down and I heard it click on.  I also think the thermometer I was using is dead because it says that the closet in the basement is over 70 degrees:bs:

Beer is more resilient than you think, it should be fine.
Bine & Vine Bottle Shop

www.BineandVine.com

Offline James Kitchens

• TBS Founding Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Barleywine
« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2010, 02:26:00 PM »

You're screwed

My basement stays +/- 57ish all year long. :cozy:
"Tenny mucho mucho deniro in su trucky trailer?"

Offline flyingbison

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2010, 02:42:09 PM »

You're screwed

Is it 200 feet below ground level?

Offline Swabs

• Where's my parrot hat?
  • VIP Member
  • Barleywine
  • Furley is amazNOG
« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2010, 02:43:25 PM »

You're screwed

Yeah, I'm not too worried.  There was only about 4 cases in there anyways.

Offline James Kitchens

• TBS Founding Member
  • Barleywine
« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2010, 07:36:31 PM »

You're screwed

Nope.

Winter = naturally that temp
Summer = leakage and drafts from AC keeps it around 55-60

It's odd how little it deviates. I think the highest I've seen down there was 64 or so.
"Tenny mucho mucho deniro in su trucky trailer?"

Offline Fred

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • Fnord
« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2010, 08:16:41 PM »

You're screwed

Nope.

Winter = naturally that temp
Summer = leakage and drafts from AC keeps it around 55-60

It's odd how little it deviates. I think the highest I've seen down there was 64 or so.

Walk-out basement here.  It's 80-ish down there, or higher.
Quote from: J-Rod
I ended up drinking 9 times my body weight in beer, broke three glasses over my head, 7 over others, ordered up 17 hookers for a little afterparty, held a cabbie hostage while running his cab through the Madison capitol doors, and I grabbed gator's ass.

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Geuze
  • signed life away on the internet totally worth it
« Reply #57 on: August 03, 2010, 09:01:29 PM »
Walk-out basement here.

isn't that just "outside"?
Quote from: urbanhack
my head was buried in shuke's tits.
TITS help you hit home runs.

Offline Fred

• Global Moderator
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • Fnord
« Reply #58 on: August 03, 2010, 10:11:09 PM »
Walk-out basement here.

isn't that just "outside"?

:shrug:  we don't have much insulation. The basement is cooler than the top floor, but not the frosty temps that others are posting.
I ended up drinking 9 times my body weight in beer, broke three glasses over my head, 7 over others, ordered up 17 hookers for a little afterparty, held a cabbie hostage while running his cab through the Madison capitol doors, and I grabbed gator's ass.

Offline smellysell

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Old Ale
« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2010, 10:31:50 PM »

You're screwed

Yeah, I'm not too worried.  There was only about 4 cases in there anyways.

Damnit G, shut it!

You're screwed Swabs, sorry.

Javit› Nothing kills a boner like Jesus

braconid› I could have fucked her, but she was pure so I just went with the oral

Offline NFLMVP

• Barleywine
  • Cerevisia Supra Omnia
    • NFLMVP's Trade References
« Reply #60 on: August 27, 2010, 10:05:15 AM »
It looks like the cold storage room will be ready for shelves in the next couple of weeks and I'm somewhat at a loss as to how I should hang my shelves.  I'd like them to be adjustable but, barring that, I've got room for 5 fixed shelves, around 3 sides, plus a shallow area, just inside the door.  I've indicated on the drawing where the shelves should be shallow or short.  The shallow area is simply extra space.  No sweat if I don't include shelves there.  The short shelves are due to the placement of the light switch, outlets and light.  Not much else I can do there but it would be a sad waste of space if I don't put something in that space.

Anyone want to chime in?  I'm open for ideas regarding materials and methods.

[edit]: The scale is 4 squares to the foot. I figure 18 inches deep for the shelving.

Take good care of your beer and your beer will take good care of you.

Offline Swabs

• Where's my parrot hat?
  • VIP Member
  • Barleywine
  • Furley is amazNOG
« Reply #61 on: August 27, 2010, 10:13:41 AM »
I think it's time for a new temp controller.  Then again it might be safer to keep it out of sight for a while.

Offline smellysell

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #62 on: August 27, 2010, 02:24:46 PM »
These are what I have mounted in my cellar Steve.

Javit› Nothing kills a boner like Jesus

braconid› I could have fucked her, but she was pure so I just went with the oral

Offline NFLMVP

• Barleywine
  • Cerevisia Supra Omnia
« Reply #63 on: August 29, 2010, 07:07:41 PM »
These are what I have mounted in my cellar Steve.

I've got something similar in my garage...just a bit more heavy duty. 

I was hoping for ideas on some stick built shelving and hoping for some interesting ideas on how to mount them.  I'm considering something along the lines of the way we used to mount bunk beds in our dorms, a millennium ago.  We didn't have to mount anything to the walls or ceiling, we just wedged the standards between the ceiling and floor with bolts and washers sticking out to hold the bed frame.

Offline flyingbison

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #64 on: December 20, 2010, 03:10:59 PM »
This thread just reminded me ... I'm going to have to build a beer room in the new house. 

Since I'll be starting from scratch, any recommendations? 

Damn ... almost 6 13 months now, and I haven't had time to even think about the beer cellar.  All my stuff is still piled up in boxes.   >:(

Finally went through all my beer and reorganized it.  Still in boxes, but now the boxes are on shelves, and I know what's in them.

Offline urbanhack

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • no manches
« Reply #65 on: December 22, 2010, 10:26:18 AM »
i'm not good at putting this stuff in words but i can't see myself with anyone else except maybe urbanhack.

Offline NFLMVP

• Barleywine
  • Cerevisia Supra Omnia
« Reply #66 on: January 27, 2011, 03:28:37 PM »
This has been done for a while but I've been lax about getting pics posted.  Before I do, a little description is in order...

I added a garage on the back side of the house, with a second driveway to a second street.  This was done to accommodate a basement remodel.  The plan is to convert the basement to a three bedroom apartment, which I will move into, in order to get my 80 year old mother to move down here.  She'll move into the upstairs and we'll both have our own apartment, but I'll be able to keep close tabs on her without giving up 100% of my lifestyle and privacy.  I estimate I'll only have to give up about 95% of it.   :thumbdown:

When I designed the garage, I added a small cellar, underneath it.  It's not very big so I figured it wouldn't be too expensive....WRONG.  The extra excavation cost and extra foundation & slab wasn't a big deal but the spancrete was.  I was under-quoted, significantly, and it was on the contract as an allowance so I was stuck with the overage.  A little more information would have made a huge difference because I might have opted for a larger room, to bring the cost/sqft down.  In the end, the reason the cost was so high was that we didn't meet the minimum size requirement but no one bothered to relay that info to give me the opportunity to increase the size.  Most of the cost was in the delivery.  I could have easily increased the size 10X without increasing the delivery cost.  It was going to arrive on a flatbed, either way.

At any rate, I'm pleased with how it turned out because I don't really need it to be any larger than it is.  Of course, if it was, I could use it for additional storage.   If I had it to do again, I'd go ahead and make it large enough to finish off the room with studs and drywall, rather than leaving it as unfinished concrete.  This small 8x6 room sucked up 5 gallons of DryLock masonry paint....walls, floor and ceiling.

I had to put in a custom, insulated door, because no one figured out the clearance and it turned that a standard door was too big.  I also put in an electronic keypad deadbolt, knowing that I'm going to have to keep my daughter's friends out of it, sooner or later.  The original plan was for 16 inch deep shelving but I didn't need to go that deep to accommodate all my beer, so I was able to get by with 1x12 shelving.  The standards are lagged into the concrete with Tapcon screws so weight will never be an issue.

As small as the room is, getting decent pics was a challenge.  Hopefully, I got these in the order from entry, around the room and back out.  [edit]: I didn't build the shallow and low shelving in the diagram.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 04:41:24 PM by NFLMVP »

Offline deepsouth

• Double IPA
« Reply #67 on: January 27, 2011, 04:35:39 PM »
outstanding.  my "cellar" holds about as many beers as you can fit on one shelf.  i do have a few more stashed under a sink.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 04:39:51 PM by deepsouth »
[]P [] []\/[] []P

Offline Fred

• Global Moderator
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • Fnord
« Reply #68 on: January 27, 2011, 05:36:16 PM »
How much do you want to "rent" out that room for a month?

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
    • Research page @ Lambic.info
« Reply #69 on: January 27, 2011, 05:39:14 PM »
:lol:

That cellar is a thing of beauty Steve!

Offline NFLMVP

• Barleywine
  • Cerevisia Supra Omnia
« Reply #70 on: January 27, 2011, 06:42:43 PM »

Offline flyingbison

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #71 on: January 27, 2011, 08:06:05 PM »
Do you think enough years left to drink all of that now?  :mellow:

Offline thickfreakness

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #72 on: January 27, 2011, 08:06:32 PM »

So you're saying if I help you with some accounting work, I can live in your cellar and drink all your beer?

Offline NFLMVP

• Barleywine
  • Cerevisia Supra Omnia
« Reply #73 on: January 27, 2011, 08:28:05 PM »

So you're saying if I help you with some accounting work, I can live in your cellar and drink all your beer?

Um, no?

I'm saying that it's going to take me hours, nay, days to tally up the cost.

Offline thickfreakness

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #74 on: January 27, 2011, 08:33:19 PM »

Um, no?

I'm saying that it's going to take me hours, nay, days to tally up the cost.

False advertising!!

The cellar looks fantastic dude!

Offline NFLMVP

• Barleywine
  • Cerevisia Supra Omnia
« Reply #75 on: January 28, 2011, 07:27:30 PM »
Just took my first temperature reading and the cellar is 44 degrees.  I was thinking how nice this was until it occurred to me that this might mean it's going to be too warm during the summer.  I might have to try to figure out a way to insulate the ceiling if the temp gets too high.

In the basement, I've fluctuated between 53 at the lowest, during the winter and 67 at the highest, during the summer.  This better not mean I'm going to get up into the mid to upper 70s in the cellar next summer.  :fingerscrossed:

Offline flyingbison

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #76 on: January 28, 2011, 07:33:34 PM »
Just took my first temperature reading and the cellar is 44 degrees.  I was thinking how nice this was until it occurred to me that this might mean it's going to be too warm during the summer.  I might have to try to figure out a way to insulate the ceiling if the temp gets too high.

I doubt it ... I don't think it will fluctuate that much.  I'd be surprised if it gets over 60 in there.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #77 on: January 28, 2011, 07:38:42 PM »

In the basement, I've fluctuated between 53 at the lowest, during the winter and 67 at the highest, during the summer.  This better not mean I'm going to get up into the mid to upper 70s in the cellar next summer.  :fingerscrossed:
Isn't the cellar in the basement?
My uninsulated cellar is 44-45 in winter, 70-72 in summer. A fan or running a/c will keep temps down in the hottest months.

Offline NFLMVP

• Barleywine
  • Cerevisia Supra Omnia
« Reply #78 on: January 28, 2011, 08:03:11 PM »
The cellar is attached to the basement, underneath the garage.  The garage is insulated but obviously much colder than the basement, right now.  In the summer, it will be much warmer.

Of the 4 walls in the cellar, two of them are surrounded by ground, under the garage.  The third wall is attached to the stairwell in the garage, which has no insulation...this wall will be subject to whatever temperature fluctuations occur in the garage.  The 4th wall is the what used to be the basement exterior wall...the basement will eventually be kept at 65 degrees.

Of all the exposure, I think the stairwell wall will affect the temperature more than any other.  I'm not sure I have any way to add insulation here, other than by adding some pink Styrofoam board (ugly) or maybe spray foam insulation (also ugly) on the interior.

I'm pretty sure there will be a significant temperature swing but I just don't know how much.  I wish I'd have had a little more foresight when designing this.

Tangfred > are you catching this?

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #79 on: January 28, 2011, 08:22:56 PM »
If you insulated under the stairs, could you hide the "ugly" by building a plywood wall to close off the area under the stairs? Build a little storage closet or something? Just a thought... dunno if that would be beneficial at all. :shrug:

Offline NFLMVP

• Barleywine
  • Cerevisia Supra Omnia
« Reply #80 on: January 28, 2011, 08:28:19 PM »
If you insulated under the stairs, could you hide the "ugly" by building a plywood wall to close off the area under the stairs? Build a little storage closet or something? Just a thought... dunno if that would be beneficial at all. :shrug:

It's not the wall under the stairs, it's the wall that runs lengthwise, with the stairs.  Anything I would put up would narrow the stairwell.

When I designed the cellar, I was thinking about ways to minimize cost and based on the garage and stairwell design, it only took the addition of two walls to form the cellar.  I should have moved it further away from the stairwell and poured three walls to form the cellar.  That would have given me dirt between two walls for additional insulation.

Offline Swabs

• Where's my parrot hat?
  • VIP Member
  • Barleywine
  • Furley is amazNOG
« Reply #81 on: February 17, 2011, 07:39:25 PM »
I don't know how you guys with the huge cellars can do it.  I have aboot 5 cases right now, mostly singles, and I just went and stared and had no clue what to grab.  Finally broke down and grabbed something randomly.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #82 on: February 17, 2011, 09:10:09 PM »
I don't know how you guys with the huge cellars can do it.  I have aboot 5 cases right now, mostly singles, and I just went and stared and had no clue what to grab.  Finally broke down and grabbed something randomly.
Trying to whittle it down... probably down to 3 cases.  :banned: :ale: :banned:
Right now it's 50% sour stuff, 15% Dark Lord, 15% Hardys, 20% Expedition/9000 & assorted BW/RIS/Old Ale

Offline flyingbison

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #83 on: June 29, 2011, 02:47:38 PM »

update? 

Offline NFLMVP

• Barleywine
  • Cerevisia Supra Omnia
« Reply #84 on: June 29, 2011, 03:21:30 PM »

update? 

So far, the cellar is only at 60 to 61 degrees.  Hopefully it wont go much higher but I think the real test lies ahead, assuming we ever start seeing summer-type temps.

Offline KingG

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Old Ale
    • Bine & Vine Bottle Shop
« Reply #85 on: June 29, 2011, 03:51:25 PM »
I have a ton of barleywines and I've pretty much lost my taste for them.  :mellow:
Bine & Vine Bottle Shop

www.BineandVine.com

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Barleywine
  • If I've offended you, it made me happy.
« Reply #86 on: June 29, 2011, 03:52:44 PM »
I have a ton of barleywines and I've pretty much lost my taste for them.  :mellow:

I know a guy :mellow:

Offline NFLMVP

• Barleywine
  • Cerevisia Supra Omnia
« Reply #87 on: June 29, 2011, 03:55:15 PM »

I know a guy :mellow:

:bye:

Offline Javit

• Old Ale
  • A wild rumpus!
« Reply #88 on: June 29, 2011, 07:55:27 PM »

:bye: :bye:
Yo lloré porque no tenía zapatos hasta que vi un niño que no tenía pies.
- Oswaldo Guayasamín

01:11:54 ‹everetends› you are a big, rigid boy

01:44:00 ‹everetends› I have huge balls

Fraka-kaka-kaka-kaka-kow!

Offline Javit

• Old Ale
  • A wild rumpus!
« Reply #89 on: July 01, 2011, 01:21:48 PM »
Might break open a 2008 Stone RIS soon.
Yo lloré porque no tenía zapatos hasta que vi un niño que no tenía pies.
- Oswaldo Guayasamín

01:11:54 ‹everetends› you are a big, rigid boy

01:44:00 ‹everetends› I have huge balls

Fraka-kaka-kaka-kaka-kow!

Offline Swabs

• Where's my parrot hat?
  • VIP Member
  • Barleywine
  • Furley is amazNOG
« Reply #90 on: July 13, 2011, 04:12:33 PM »
Narrowed my cellar down to 16 bombers/750s and 6 12oz that I'm taking back with me.  All stuff I've gotten here and want to take back.  The rest shall die in the next 2 weeks  :hangover:

Offline chi_dave

• Quadrupel
« Reply #91 on: August 05, 2013, 08:18:59 PM »
How do you store your corked beers? I've had them laying down because several more experienced folks have said that this will help prevent the cork from drying out. I've also read that you should store them upright to limit the amount of oxidization, make sure the cork doesn't add off flavors, etc.

I'm not sure what to do, but I do know that every beer I've had after resting on its side has tasted fine.

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #92 on: August 05, 2013, 09:00:25 PM »
Lambics on their side, since that's how the breweries cellar them. I don't think drying out when upright is an issue unless it's for the long term, many many years. I've had corked bottles from the 90's stored upright that were fine (and others that were flat).

Offline chi_dave

• Quadrupel
« Reply #93 on: August 06, 2013, 01:12:27 PM »
Lambics on their side, since that's how the breweries cellar them. I don't think drying out when upright is an issue unless it's for the long term, many many years. I've had corked bottles from the 90's stored upright that were fine (and others that were flat).

That's helpful. What about American sours?

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #94 on: August 06, 2013, 01:23:11 PM »

That's helpful. What about American sours?
Probably either or... I keep mine vertical since I plan to drink them sooner than later. It's rare to have one that improved much after 3+ years, some tend to go downhill sooner than traditional lambics for whatever reason. For example, 2009 Juliet was a letdown in the last year.

That said I still have some (wild ales) older than that :bag:
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 01:25:32 PM by emerge »

Offline t0rin0

• Pale Ale
  • Goodbyyyyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeee Little Baby.
    • Beers sampled
« Reply #95 on: August 06, 2013, 02:13:16 PM »

I had a couple bottles of Girardin and Tilquin that I forgot about in the fridge. A year later they were flat. I'm thinking that if it's stored too cold for any period of time that it should be on its side.
Respect the badge
He earned it with his blood
Fear the gun
Your sentence may be death because...

Offline GatorBeerGeek

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #96 on: August 06, 2013, 02:32:06 PM »

I had a couple bottles of Girardin and Tilquin that I forgot about in the fridge. A year later they were flat. I'm thinking that if it's stored too cold for any period of time that it should be on its side.

The fridge is going to dry out the cork and cause issues due to the lack of any humidity inside of it.  I am not sure if your experience had anything to do with the temperature, but I could be wrong.

Offline deepsouth

• Double IPA
« Reply #97 on: August 06, 2013, 02:38:31 PM »

i haven't completely lost my taste for them, but i probably have more than i need as well.
[]P [] []\/[] []P

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
« Reply #98 on: August 06, 2013, 02:54:53 PM »

i haven't completely lost my taste for them, but i probably have more than i need as well.

From now on, only Hardy's in the cellar for me, can't really stand old oxidized barleywines.
(still have one bottle each of the NG Barleywine & Iced BW, only because Dan Carey mentioned in an interview that they need a few more years still) :o:

Offline t0rin0

• Pale Ale
  • Goodbyyyyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeee Little Baby.
    • Beers sampled
« Reply #99 on: August 06, 2013, 03:12:06 PM »

The fridge is going to dry out the cork and cause issues due to the lack of any humidity inside of it.  I am not sure if your experience had anything to do with the temperature, but I could be wrong.

Thats really where I was going with it. Just another data point: too cold is bad for the cork, so store it on its side.
Respect the badge
He earned it with his blood
Fear the gun
Your sentence may be death because...