search

Author Topic: Cellaring in general  (Read 4329 times)

Offline Uncle Randy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Malt Liquor
« on: June 28, 2007, 07:43:29 PM »
So, my favorite beer evah is Thomas Hardy's.  Always has been, most likely always will be.

My question - it's obviously not corked, so I don't lay 'em down.  I've got a couple 1993's that I've been saving, along with numerous years in between then and now.  Should I be worried about them going bad?

Offline Kegergator

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • Geuze
  • Your mom does
Re: Cellaring in general
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 10:06:36 PM »
I prolly wouldn't lay them as it might affect the cap and thus the flavor. The brew it self should be fine.
Everyone wants people they like to be right, that's why popular people are fucking dumb.

Offline Fred

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • Fnord
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 11:15:08 PM »
I've read relatively recent reviews of 1970s and 1980s bottles that were very well received.  As long as the bottled were cared for, they should be just fine.

Hell, I'm trying to acquire a 1974 in time for my birthday next year (and a Courage RIS 1974, too).  My plan is to crack them and drink them.
Quote from: J-Rod
I ended up drinking 9 times my body weight in beer, broke three glasses over my head, 7 over others, ordered up 17 hookers for a little afterparty, held a cabbie hostage while running his cab through the Madison capitol doors, and I grabbed gator's ass.

Offline Uncle Randy

• Malt Liquor
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2007, 03:10:31 PM »
I've read relatively recent reviews of 1970s and 1980s bottles that were very well received.  As long as the bottled were cared for, they should be just fine.

Hell, I'm trying to acquire a 1974 in time for my birthday next year (and a Courage RIS 1974, too).  My plan is to crack them and drink them.

If you find more than one '74, I'll take one too - that's my birthyear as well. :banned:

Offline Fro

• TBS Founding Member
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Quadrupel
  • freshness
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 04:22:01 PM »
I drank an '82 last christmas.  It was liquid gold
You can feel good

Offline mrhops

• Malt Liquor
  • Love me some hops!
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 01:46:58 PM »
How do you know if certain beers can be put in the cellar and drank at a later date?
For example, I have a Dogfish Red & White that was brewed in 2006. The brewer at DFH said this beer can cellar for many many years.
However, I have a Winter Warmer (not from DFH) that was brewed in 2008 which I would like to cellar. Do these beers have shelf-life, etc?
Sorry for the newb questions.......I am new to cellaring but very familiar with craft brews.

Offline flyingbison

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 01:50:37 PM »
How do you know if certain beers can be put in the cellar and drank at a later date?
For example, I have a Dogfish Red & White that was brewed in 2006. The brewer at DFH said this beer can cellar for many many years.
However, I have a Winter Warmer (not from DFH) that was brewed in 2008 which I would like to cellar. Do these beers have shelf-life, etc?
Sorry for the newb questions.......I am new to cellaring but very familiar with craft brews.

As a general rule, higher ABV beers will cellar better than low-moderate ABV ones. Cellaring will change the flavor profile of the beer - sometimes for better, sometimes for worse.  The only way to know for sure it to experiment.

Also, I would avoid cellaring beers you haven't tasted fresh, since you won't have any way of knowing how it has changed.

Offline Kegergator

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • Geuze
  • Your mom does
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 01:53:43 PM »

I think a good gauge is the ABV along with style. Higher ABV tend to do better. Also, if you think a brew would be better with a little more mellow flavor, give it shot in the cellar for a while. Everyone likes different things, so try experimenting to see what you dig.

Bison> whoa
Everyone wants people they like to be right, that's why popular people are fucking dumb.

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009, 01:55:15 PM »
Lambics age beautifully, but are low in abv.  It's one of those styles that breaks what many would call their cellaring "guidelines".

Offline flyingbison

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2009, 01:57:49 PM »
Lambics age beautifully, but are low in abv.  It's one of those styles that breaks what many would call their cellaring "guidelines".

Yep.  And DIPAs are the exception at the other end of the spectrum ... higher ABV, but the hops really fade with age.  Don't cellar IPA/DIPAs unless you really just want to experiment with one ... or unless you want to be like Furley.

Offline Surly Duff

• TBS Founding Member
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Barleywine
  • Famous Last Words: "Hold my beer and watch this!"
    • Craft Beer Time
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2009, 02:59:19 PM »
Too bad Thomas Hardy's Ale is no longer being made.
"I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer." -Homer Simpson        "What's drinking? A mere pause from thinking." -Lord Byron

"Who cares how time advances?  I'm drinking ale today." -Edgar Allan Poe

Offline Phish

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Barleywine
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2009, 02:19:05 PM »
Too bad Thomas Hardy's Ale is no longer being made.
I've been picking up bottles randomly whenever I see them.

Offline KingG

• VIP and TBS Founding Member
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Old Ale
    • Bine & Vine Bottle Shop
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2009, 05:25:15 PM »
I have an un-opened case of 05 sitting in the back of the store at cellar temp.

It'll be a long time before i open it.
Bine & Vine Bottle Shop

www.BineandVine.com

Offline Mar

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Double IPA
  • Lost in bass
    • Visionary Urban Tactics
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2009, 03:17:26 PM »
I need a Hardy's from 1980 and 2008 then, I'll need the same from JW Lees.   Back to your regular scheduled posting.
"Beer - Because one doesn't solve the world's problems over white wine."
- Jack Kerouac

Offline Fred

• Global Moderator
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • Fnord
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2009, 04:34:39 PM »
I need a Hardy's from 1980 and 2008 then, I'll need the same from JW Lees.   Back to your regular scheduled posting.

ebay down?
I ended up drinking 9 times my body weight in beer, broke three glasses over my head, 7 over others, ordered up 17 hookers for a little afterparty, held a cabbie hostage while running his cab through the Madison capitol doors, and I grabbed gator's ass.

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2009, 08:30:07 PM »
What ever happened to Uncle Randy (OP)?

Offline Mar

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Double IPA
  • Lost in bass
    • Visionary Urban Tactics
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2009, 08:40:48 AM »

ebay down?

haven't really looked there actually.
"Beer - Because one doesn't solve the world's problems over white wine."
- Jack Kerouac

Offline mr. furley

• Female
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Geuze
  • signed life away on the internet totally worth it
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2009, 12:08:51 PM »
What ever happened to Uncle Randy (OP)?

:unsure:  he joins the list along with stonecrusher of people i scared off the internet :unsure:
Quote from: urbanhack
my head was buried in shuke's tits.
TITS help you hit home runs.

Offline flyingbison

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2009, 12:33:44 PM »
This thread just reminded me ... I'm going to have to build a beer room in the new house. 

Since I'll be starting from scratch, any recommendations? 

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2009, 12:45:37 PM »
This thread just reminded me ... I'm going to have to build a beer room in the new house. 

Start digging...

Offline flyingbison

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2009, 12:50:18 PM »

Start digging...

<_<  Let me rephrase that ... I need to build a beer room in the basement.

Offline KingG

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Old Ale
    • Bine & Vine Bottle Shop
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2009, 12:55:58 PM »

Start digging...

Minimal amount of light, sturdy shelving, cool temps and a lot of patience not to pop certain things.  :thumbup:
Bine & Vine Bottle Shop

www.BineandVine.com

Offline NFLMVP

• Barleywine
  • Cerevisia Supra Omnia
    • NFLMVP's Trade References
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2009, 01:05:03 PM »

Start digging...

Minimal amount of light, sturdy shelving, cool temps and a lot of patience not to pop certain things.  :thumbup:

Depending on your basement, you might also want to consider a dehumidifier.
Take good care of your beer and your beer will take good care of you.

Offline flyingbison

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2009, 02:28:11 PM »
How big should I make it?
My current beer room has a concrete block wall, but I'm assuming 2x4 & drywall will be sufficient, right? 
Should I insulate that wall from the rest of the basement, or is that overkill?

Offline NFLMVP

• Barleywine
  • Cerevisia Supra Omnia
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2009, 02:31:14 PM »
My current beer room has a concrete block wall, but I'm assuming 2x4 & drywall will be sufficient, right? 

I've been working on a floor plan for my basement remodel that includes a "cold storage" room.  I'm planning on insulating it from the rest of the basement since I'll eventually be heating down there.  In addition to the only six inch walls in the basement, I'll be putting an insulated door.

Offline Surly Duff

• TBS Founding Member
  • Barleywine
    • Craft Beer Time
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2009, 02:40:19 PM »
There was an article in an old issue of Brew Your Own I believe that showed how to make your own cellar.  The guy even went as far as to add a window air conditioner or something to keep it at a set temp.
"I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer." -Homer Simpson        "What's drinking? A mere pause from thinking." -Lord Byron

Offline flyingbison

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2009, 02:49:57 PM »

I've been working on a floor plan for my basement remodel that includes a "cold storage" room.  I'm planning on insulating it from the rest of the basement since I'll eventually be heating down there.  In addition to the only six inch walls in the basement, I'll be putting an insulated door.

I probably won't go that far.  I'll keep an extra fridge for cold storgae, but the beer room will have to settle for being cool and dark.

Offline NFLMVP

• Barleywine
  • Cerevisia Supra Omnia
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2009, 03:54:42 PM »

I probably won't go that far.  I'll keep an extra fridge for cold storgae, but the beer room will have to settle for being cool and dark.

I don't think that an exterior door is going to cost much more than an interior door.  You don't necessarily need 6 inch walls but again, for the amount of lumber you need, I doubt it'll add much expense.  You do plan on insulating, right?  Don't put the fridge in the cellar room because the motor will heat the room up.

Offline flyingbison

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2009, 04:05:35 PM »

I don't think that an exterior door is going to cost much more than an interior door.  You don't necessarily need 6 inch walls but again, for the amount of lumber you need, I doubt it'll add much expense.  You do plan on insulating, right?  Don't put the fridge in the cellar room because the motor will heat the room up.

Not sure if I need to insulate or not ... I'll have to see what the basement temp is like when we move in ... it certainly can't hurt, and won't cost much.

As for the door, I'll probably try to pick up something used/salvaged.  I can always attach some foam insulation to the inside if I need it.

Offline NFLMVP

• Barleywine
  • Cerevisia Supra Omnia
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2009, 08:39:30 PM »

Not sure if I need to insulate or not ... I'll have to see what the basement temp is like when we move in ... it certainly can't hurt, and won't cost much.

As for the door, I'll probably try to pick up something used/salvaged.  I can always attach some foam insulation to the inside if I need it.

Check Menards.  They have a clearance rack of damaged, special order returns and discontinued doors.  You can probably find a pretty good deal there.  I got my front door with sidelight for $200 which was more than 75% off.  It was painted blue so I just had to paint it white.

Unless you have a complete lack of insulation, I'd guess that your basement will range between about 53 at the lowest, during the winter and 67 at the highest, during the summer.  Insulating the cellar from the rest of the basement should help you avoid those upper 60's in the summer.  I don't think they will mean lower temps during the winter.

Insulating and using an insulated door now will set you up for easy future improvements.  I just bring this up since I tend to look towards the greatest potential use, rather than the cheapest construction cost.  If you decide later that you want to put a portable AC unit in the room during the summer, you'll save a bunch of work and get greater benefit out of it. You'll also spend very little because you spent a few extra dollars today. 

I guess what I'm getting at is this.......don't be penny wise and pound foolish.

Offline flyingbison

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2009, 08:54:52 PM »

Check Menards.  They have a clearance rack of damaged, special order returns and discontinued doors.  You can probably find a pretty good deal there.  I got my front door with sidelight for $200 which was more than 75% off.  It was painted blue so I just had to paint it white.

I'll check the Habitat ReStore first ... I might find an even cheaper one there. Pretty sure there is one in Appleton, too.

Offline beagle

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Barleywine
  • DO NOT TALK BAD ABOUT SOCCER! SERIOUS BUSINESS!
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2010, 09:34:08 PM »
Didn't want to start a new thread, figured this would work.

All of you with large cellars, when do you actually man up and drink those sons-o-bitches? I have been killing mine for some time, and now find that I am close (not there yet) to my really hard to find beers. I can't think of that many special occassions that I would drink these on. So now what? Just start polishing them off mid week like any other brew?
All your brews are belong to me

Offline Tip Top

• Global Moderator
  • Lambic
    • TheBeerSpot.com
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2010, 09:38:44 PM »
I no longer wait for a special occasion.  If I want it, I drink it.  Every time I invite people over, only one or two come. :shrug:

Offline Surly Duff

• TBS Founding Member
  • Barleywine
    • Craft Beer Time
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2010, 09:39:39 PM »
At some point even the very rare brews are gonna go downhill.  It'd be a shame to have them do that.  Like you said, there aren't that many special occasions so ya kinda have to just to enjoy them like you would any other brew.  Hard time I have is that I'd like to have more then one beer in a night but you can't with many of these.

Offline Fred

• Global Moderator
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • Fnord
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2010, 09:47:10 PM »
I can't think of that many special occassions that I would drink these on. So now what? Just start polishing them off mid week like any other brew?

In your opinion, will they age well any longer, or are they already at their peak/decline? 
If they'll keep, hang on to them until you're ready. 
If they're marginal, fuck it.  Enjoy them while they're still good.

Offline flyingbison

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2010, 04:50:21 PM »

Damn ... almost 6 months now, and I haven't had time to even think about the beer cellar.  All my stuff is still piled up in boxes.   >:(

Offline Fred

• Global Moderator
  • Russian Imperial Stout
  • Fnord
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2010, 04:56:27 PM »

Damn ... almost 6 months now, and I haven't had time to even think about the beer cellar.  All my stuff is still piled up in boxes.   >:(

That sounds about right.

Offline NFLMVP

• Barleywine
  • Cerevisia Supra Omnia
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2010, 08:29:59 PM »

In my design for the apartment, downstairs, I'm having the concrete guys include a cellar, underneath the new garage slab, in their bids.  I like the idea because it's just some extra concrete, and the excavating is already being done, anyway.  I told them I need this part of the bid broken down so I can decide if I need to make it bigger.  Right now we're only talking about 6X8 but because of the design, it only requires two small walls with spancrete over the top.  If it's cheap enough for the extra square footage, I'll expand it to 8x10 or 10x12.

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Barleywine
  • If I've offended you, it made me happy.
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2010, 08:35:00 PM »

In my design for the apartment, downstairs, I'm having the concrete guys include a cellar, underneath the new garage slab, in their bids.  I like the idea because it's just some extra concrete, and the excavating is already being done, anyway.  I told them I need this part of the bid broken down so I can decide if I need to make it bigger.  Right now we're only talking about 6X8 but because of the design, it only requires two small walls with spancrete over the top.  If it's cheap enough for the extra square footage, I'll expand it to 8x10 or 10x12.

My wife's uncle had this setup under his garage slab, I thought it would be awesome for a cellar/homebrew fermentation space.  It's fully underground and the ceiling, walls, and floor were all concrete, so pretty cool in there at all times.

Offline NFLMVP

• Barleywine
  • Cerevisia Supra Omnia
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2010, 08:41:10 PM »

My wife's uncle had this setup under his garage slab, I thought it would be awesome for a cellar/homebrew fermentation space.  It's fully underground and the ceiling, walls, and floor were all concrete, so pretty cool in there at all times.

That's what I'm shooting for.   :thumbup:

Offline flyingbison

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2010, 05:25:47 PM »

CALLING ALL CONSTRUCTION GUYS AND DIYers:

What's the best way to attach the sill plate to the concrete floor?  Drill holes and use anchors/screws?  Lag bolts?  Will construction adhesive be good enough to hold it in place?

Offline James Kitchens

• TBS Founding Member
  • Barleywine
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2010, 05:38:03 PM »

CALLING ALL CONSTRUCTION GUYS AND DIYers:

What's the best way to attach the sill plate to the concrete floor?  Drill holes and use anchors/screws?  Lag bolts?  Will construction adhesive be good enough to hold it in place?

They say to drill for bolts here. But since this isn't going to be structural, I would think you can get away with Liquid Nails most likely. Also, if you measure correctly when you build the wall and prop it into place, you shouldn't have any give with the wall. The Liquid Nails plus that should keep it in place.
"Tenny mucho mucho deniro in su trucky trailer?"

Offline NFLMVP

• Barleywine
  • Cerevisia Supra Omnia
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2010, 11:41:10 PM »
It's official....

We're including a 6x8 cold storage room, under the new garage slab, accessible from the basement apartment.   

The city has approved the design!  :pickle:

Offline Severstad

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2010, 04:23:01 PM »
It's official....

We're including a 6x8 cold storage room, under the new garage slab, accessible from the basement apartment.   

That sounds awesome.

If you only had some beer to put in it ...

Offline Surly Duff

• TBS Founding Member
  • Barleywine
    • Craft Beer Time
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2010, 04:41:24 PM »
It's official....

Awesome news.  I'll have to plan a time to make it out where and this time I'll make sure I'm not hung over.

Offline Swabs

• Where's my parrot hat?
  • VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Barleywine
  • Furley is amazNOG
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2010, 10:01:36 PM »
Opened up my temp controlled fridge cellar today to find the beer I grabbed feeling warm to the touch.  Looked at the thermometer and it was sitting just above 75 fuckin degrees. :thumbdown:  Apparently its dead, thank god I moved to a place with a basement so I just moved them down there.  I wonder how long it has been dead though.
Gilly> this is totally murdering my unicorn blood boner

Offline smellysell

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2010, 02:22:05 AM »
Opened up my temp controlled fridge cellar today to find the beer I grabbed feeling warm to the touch.  Looked at the thermometer and it was sitting just above 75 ####in degrees. :thumbdown:  Apparently its dead, thank god I moved to a place with a basement so I just moved them down there.  I wonder how long it has been dead though.

You're screwed

Javit› Nothing kills a boner like Jesus

braconid› I could have fucked her, but she was pure so I just went with the oral

Offline James Kitchens

• TBS Founding Member
  • Barleywine
« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2010, 08:05:57 AM »
Opened up my temp controlled fridge cellar today to find the beer I grabbed feeling warm to the touch.  Looked at the thermometer and it was sitting just above 75 ####in degrees. :thumbdown:  Apparently its dead, thank god I moved to a place with a basement so I just moved them down there.  I wonder how long it has been dead though.

You're screwed

Yeah, but we're talking about the beer.....
"Tenny mucho mucho deniro in su trucky trailer?"

Offline Swabs

• Where's my parrot hat?
  • VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Barleywine
  • Furley is amazNOG
« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2010, 10:13:20 AM »

You're screwed

Your mom is screwed.  Oh shit.......

I unplugged the temp controller and plugged the fridge in and it's still working.  I then lowered the temp on the controller down and I heard it click on.  I also think the thermometer I was using is dead because it says that the closet in the basement is over 70 degrees.  :bs:
Gilly> this is totally murdering my unicorn blood boner

Offline flyingbison

• Russian Imperial Stout
  • persona non grata
« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2010, 10:16:48 AM »

You're screwed

Your mom is screwed.  Oh shit.......

I unplugged the temp controller and plugged the fridge in and it's still working.  I then lowered the temp on the controller down and I heard it click on.  I also think the thermometer I was using is dead because it says that the closet in the basement is over 70 degrees:bs:

that doesn't seem out of line for the middle of summer.