search

Author Topic: Replacement Thermostats?  (Read 2132 times)

Offline NFLMVP

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Barleywine
  • Cerevisia Supra Omnia
    • NFLMVP's Trade References
Replacement Thermostats?
« on: April 29, 2014, 10:41:41 AM »
I've have a upright freezer that I would like to convert to a fridge.  I've looked into external thermostats but I'm not sure that's the route I want to take.  Although, if anyone knows of a nice used one, I'd be interested.

I found a Youtube video walk through for replacing a freezer thermostat with a refrigerator thermostat.  Does anyone have any experience with this?

Better yet, I'd love to find a thermostat with a wider temperature range so that I could cool it down to freezing if I wanted to but also to cool it only as low as 50°.  Any ideas if such a thing exists and if so, where I might find one?
Take good care of your beer and your beer will take good care of you.

Offline NFLMVP

• Barleywine
  • Cerevisia Supra Omnia
Re: Replacement Thermostats?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 12:23:15 PM »
This is probably close to what I'm looking for.  Temperature control ranges from 28° to 48°

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Convert-a-Freezer-to-a-Fridge-Keg-Beer-Refrigerator-Thermostat-Kegerator-instr-/111239808591?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19e668c64f

Ideally, I'd like to be able to go a little colder but I could live with 48° on the top end.

In the meantime, I found this to be pretty interesting but I'm not sure whether or not it's applicable and I probably won't know until I crack open the existing thermostat.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/guide-set-internal-chest-freezer-thermostat-32f-eliminate-external-control-249612/

Is anyone familiar with any of this?

Offline howardf

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Barleywine
  • If I've offended you, it made me happy.
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 12:27:34 PM »
I have an external on my two beer freezers, so I've never done any of that stuff.

Offline coldchill

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Old Ale
  • Foul balls are yours to keep.
    • Bootknocker Brewing Co.
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 01:12:12 PM »
I built an external controller (2 stage) but have never really used it.  I'm currently in the (very long) process of bulding a keezer, so I'm interested to see what you find.

Here is the controller that I built: http://www.thebeerspot.com/forum/index.php/topic,9029.0.html
"beaver butt is not kosher"

Offline NFLMVP

• Barleywine
  • Cerevisia Supra Omnia
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 02:17:49 PM »
The reason I'm looking at going this route is...
1) I already have the freezer.
2) A dedicated freezer is more wide open for beer space than a fridge/freezer (and I already have a DBF w/freezer)
3) An internal thermostat is cheaper than an external unit.
4) Once converted, I only intend to use it as additional DBF space.

Gale, that external, 2 stage controller looks nice.  What made you decide to go that route?

Offline coldchill

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Old Ale
  • Foul balls are yours to keep.
    • Bootknocker Brewing Co.
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 03:44:03 PM »
Gale, that external, 2 stage controller looks nice.  What made you decide to go that route?

"I like building things" would be part  of the reason I went that route, at least the decision to build vs. buy.  Not really sure how much of a rational thought process there was.  At the time, my wife's grandma had promised me a small chest freezer that I planned to use as a fermentation/lagering chamber.  I didn't get the freezer so I haven't used it.  I wanted the two-stage so that I could control a heat source as well as the freezer's cooling ability in case the fermentation chamber was kept somewhere with a wide variance in temperature.  Hasn't worked out that way. 

I'll probably use it to run my keezer when it is finished, but I really want to get a Brewbit (assuming it doesn't end up being vaporware) to control my keezer and the fridge that was my previous kegerator for fermentation.
"beaver butt is not kosher"

Offline rhoadsrage

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Double IPA
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2014, 03:13:06 PM »
This is what I use, ( cause I'm lazy)  just plug it in and go.  Also I can change the temp to lager homebrew, or kill Dermestid infesting taxidermy mounts. 

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/johnson-digital-temperature-controller.html
"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth."  --Mike Tyson