search

Author Topic: Best brewery/brewpub in Atlanta area?  (Read 848 times)

Offline sunscar22

• Trade Count: (0)
  • IPA
Best brewery/brewpub in Atlanta area?
« on: April 18, 2014, 10:07:03 AM »
I'm heading south in a few weeks and want to take my buddy out for a mellow bachelors party.  I know he likes sweetwater (who doesn't) but are there any other worthy breweries in the area?

Offline everetends

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Barleywine
  • The flightless waterfowl of your nightmares.
    • Birmingham Craft Beer Examiner (aka me!)
Re: Best brewery/brewpub in Atlanta area?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 02:43:23 PM »
I'm heading south in a few weeks and want to take my buddy out for a mellow bachelors party.  I know he likes sweetwater (who doesn't) but are there any other worthy breweries in the area?

IMO, SweetWater is the brewery to visit in Atlanta.  Beer is going to be good and they will take care of you.  If you talk to the right people while there, they will take even better care of you. 

If you want to expand it a bit, you have a couple of options after SweetWater.  You can head to Little Five Points area and hit Wrecking Bar Brewpub, The Porter Beer Bar, and then Vortex for some burgers; or go to Decatur and visit Twains Brewpub and Billiards, Brick Store Pub, Leon's Full Service, Raging Burrito for grub, and everything else in that area.  Whichever area you pick, you can park and walk to each spot in that area.  Convenient for bachelor party shennanigans. 
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 02:51:56 PM by everetends »
22:56:51 ‹Javit› :EXCITEDBONAR:
22:56:57 ‹Javit› keep it up gilly, keep it up

Offline GatorBeerGeek

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 03:06:10 PM »
I agree with most everything Gilly said.

One thing I think you would want to know is that Sweetwater is generally a popped collar frat boy drunk fest when they have tours (or a fat man drunk fest during Anniversary parties, but I digress).  I would skip it and likely any other brewery tours.  They just are not worth going to here since they typically just have samples of the regulars.

In terms of places to go for a mellow bachelor's party, it would definitely be Wrecking Bar.  I have been there for one myself.  They make damn good beer and setting is pretty cool as well.

If for some reason you aren't feeling it, you can walk across the street to The Porter.

The 4 places in Decatur are also definitely places you should go while here though.  As a whole, I like those places better, but for a laid back bachelor party I would go with Wrecking Bar.

Offline everetends

• Barleywine
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 04:36:00 PM »
I agree with most everything Gilly said.

One thing I think you would want to know is that Sweetwater is generally a popped collar frat boy drunk fest when they have tours (or a fat man drunk fest during Anniversary parties, but I digress).  I would skip it and likely any other brewery tours.  They just are not worth going to here since they typically just have samples of the regulars.

In terms of places to go for a mellow bachelor's party, it would definitely be Wrecking Bar.  I have been there for one myself.  They make damn good beer and setting is pretty cool as well.

If for some reason you aren't feeling it, you can walk across the street to The Porter.

The 4 places in Decatur are also definitely places you should go while here though.  As a whole, I like those places better, but for a laid back bachelor party I would go with Wrecking Bar.

I do agree with Donnie that SweetWater can be overcome by the younger/frat crowd at times, but take Donnie with a grain of salt when it comes to this brewery.  He might just be having flashbacks of a traumatic experience that started in halls of SweetWater.   ;)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 08:20:30 PM by everetends »

Offline sunscar22

• IPA
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 04:37:39 PM »
Thanks for the advice.  We toured Terrapin and it was a frat boy drunk party but we still had a good time.  Might try there or head to Wrecking Bar if we need more. 

Offline sunscar22

• IPA
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 03:24:01 PM »
I need a little more help.  Some of the guys want to stick close to Roswell versus going into Atlanta.  What good bar options to I have around there? 

Offline GatorBeerGeek

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 03:47:39 PM »
I live in Alpharetta, the next city over.  There really are not many great options.

If you want commercial options or tons of TVs for sports, then Taco Mac is probably the only option.  The one on Holcomb Bridge has a large tap list and is pretty modern at least.

Other than that, the best option is probably 5 Seasons North off of exit 10.  Their beers can be hit or miss for me though.  He usually does saisons really well.   IPAs he has more misses than hits.  Only a few tiny TVs lining the sides of the bar.

There is a newer brewpub in Alpharetta called Hop Alley.  I have not been to it yet.  I can not speak to it. 

There is a brewery in Alpharetta off exit 11 called Jekyll.  The beers are OK.  Costs $12 to get a mason jar type glass and some number of tickets for samples.

Best place is a bit further out than you likely want to go.  Cherry Street Brewing in Cumming.  If you were willing to go there, you might as well go into the city.  It would not be that much longer.

Offline everetends

• Barleywine
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2014, 03:54:30 PM »
I live in Alpharetta, the next city over.  There really are not many great options.

If you want commercial options or tons of TVs for sports, then Taco Mac is probably the only option.  The one on Holcomb Bridge has a large tap list and is pretty modern at least.

Other than that, the best option is probably 5 Seasons North off of exit 10.  Their beers can be hit or miss for me though.  He usually does saisons really well.   IPAs he has more misses than hits.  Only a few tiny TVs lining the sides of the bar.

There is a newer brewpub in Alpharetta called Hop Alley.  I have not been to it yet.  I can not speak to it. 

There is a brewery in Alpharetta off exit 11 called Jekyll.  The beers are OK.  Costs $12 to get a mason jar type glass and some number of tickets for samples.

Best place is a bit further out than you likely want to go.  Cherry Street Brewing in Cumming.  If you were willing to go there, you might as well go into the city.  It would not be that much longer.
I default to Donnie here because he has far more experience in that part of town than I do.  I have only been to Cherry Street Brewing from that list (with Donnie of course).  I had a good time and the beers were tasty, but I'm not sure the places falls into anything I'd want to do on a bachelor party excursion. 

Offline GatorBeerGeek

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2014, 06:31:59 PM »
Good point. I was just pointing out best places. Unless it is laid back, Taco Mac is only option.

Offline sunscar22

• IPA
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2014, 11:38:38 PM »
I appreciate it.  It's tough to work within these parameters.  I'm still rooting for wrecking bar but if everyone wants to stick close we'll try the new brew pub or Taco Mac.  These guys are mellow so they'll be happy with anything but I'd love to try some great places and share it with them as well. 

Thanks again for the input. 

Offline sunscar22

• IPA
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2014, 11:41:39 PM »
Just checked out Hop Alley's website.  Looks intriguing.  If I can't convince them to go into Atlanta, I think I'll shoot for there. 

Offline thehopdawg

• Malt Liquor
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2014, 02:59:01 PM »
When it comes to Roswell, I always say my basement has the best beer selection, but I digress...  The other tour option in Jekyll Brewing in Alpharetta is an easy combo with Hop Alley.  They do tours almost every day, and while I don't like their naming convention, I do think they make solid beer.  Less variety than Hop Alley, but more consistency.

In Roswell, Salt is pricey, but has a decent craft list, and within walking distance is Mac McGee's and Roux, which also both have decent craft options.  Further down, you can do tasters at Ale Yeah!.  While in town is optimal, as you say, old town Roswell might be a happy medium, offering some sociability/bar hopping and some craft beer...
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 03:03:06 PM by thehopdawg »
Owner/operator of Bear's Best Brewery & Beer Cellar

Offline GatorBeerGeek

• VIP Member
  • Old Ale
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2014, 09:57:37 AM »
When it comes to Roswell, I always say my basement has the best beer selection, but I digress...  The other tour option in Jekyll Brewing in Alpharetta is an easy combo with Hop Alley.  They do tours almost every day, and while I don't like their naming convention, I do think they make solid beer.  Less variety than Hop Alley, but more consistency.

In Roswell, Salt is pricey, but has a decent craft list, and within walking distance is Mac McGee's and Roux, which also both have decent craft options.  Further down, you can do tasters at Ale Yeah!.  While in town is optimal, as you say, old town Roswell might be a happy medium, offering some sociability/bar hopping and some craft beer...

You would be right about your basement being the best.  I didn't think that was an option on this one so I didn't mention it  :P

As far as the rest, Ben definitely knows the area even better than I do since he actually lives in Roswell.

Offline sunscar22

• IPA
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2014, 11:20:36 AM »
After all this great advice, I couldn't get the bums to venture out to any of these great places.  All they wanted to do was watch the Penguins game at Coldbrew Sports Bar and Grill.  I was disappointed to say the least but it wasn't my party. 

Offline thehopdawg

• Malt Liquor
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2014, 09:57:13 AM »
After all this great advice, I couldn't get the bums to venture out to any of these great places.  All they wanted to do was watch the Penguins game at Coldbrew Sports Bar and Grill.  I was disappointed to say the least but it wasn't my party.

Yeah... I didn't mention that place, but it does serve beer...  Sorry that was your lone experience in Roswell...
Owner/operator of Bear's Best Brewery & Beer Cellar

Offline everetends

• Barleywine
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2014, 02:34:09 PM »

Yeah... I didn't mention that place, but it does serve beer...  Sorry that was your lone experience in Roswell...
And I am sorry the Pens played so pitifully during that experience.