search

Author Topic: Looks like Quito Ecuador is the next beer hunting site.  (Read 888 times)

Offline rhoadsrage

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Double IPA
Looks like Quito Ecuador is the next beer hunting site.
« on: February 17, 2014, 09:51:27 AM »
Wife has a new office in Quito, so I will be running around the city w/ 3 boys under five, trying to grab a beer when I can.  Best part, my Spanish is not as good as theirs so they will be translating. 
"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth."  --Mike Tyson

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian Imperial Stout
    • Research page @ Lambic.info
Re: Looks like Quito Ecuador is the next beer hunting site.
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 11:15:04 AM »
"Tell the nice man Daddy wants an IPA"

Offline rhoadsrage

• VIP Member
  • Double IPA
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 01:34:02 PM »
"Tell the nice man Daddy wants an IPA"   :lol:

My kid "Dad wants a spicy soda pop and one for me too."

Offline emerge

• VIP Member
  • Russian Imperial Stout
    • Research page @ Lambic.info
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 02:20:10 PM »
"Tell the nice man Daddy wants an IPA"   :lol:

My kid "Dad wants a spicy soda pop and one for me too."

Watch out you might wind up with a tall glass of cuy milk :blink:

There's an Ecuadorian market in Irving Park that makes really good roast pork, they call it hornado.

Offline Javit

• Old Ale
  • A wild rumpus!
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 02:59:16 PM »
Wife has a new office in Quito, so I will be running around the city w/ 3 boys under five, trying to grab a beer when I can.  Best part, my Spanish is not as good as theirs so they will be translating.

I've lived in Quito every other summer for 6-8 weeks since 2006.  Definitely a lot of places to go, do you know what part of the city you'll be in yet?
Yo lloré porque no tenía zapatos hasta que vi un niño que no tenía pies.
- Oswaldo Guayasamín

01:11:54 ‹everetends› you are a big, rigid boy

01:44:00 ‹everetends› I have huge balls

Fraka-kaka-kaka-kaka-kow!

Offline rhoadsrage

• VIP Member
  • Double IPA
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 10:13:30 AM »

I've lived in Quito every other summer for 6-8 weeks since 2006.  Definitely a lot of places to go, do you know what part of the city you'll be in yet?
I wondered from your Guayasamin avitar if you had visited.  So where are all the good Lambic/Chicha bottle shops?

This is my wife's office address in La Carolina perhaps?
Av. República del Salvador N34-107 y Suiza, Quito, Ecuador

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Av.+Rep%C3%BAblica+del+Salvador+N34-107+y+Suiza,+Quito,+Ecuador&hl=en&ie=UTF8&sll=-0.185802,-78.481865&sspn=0.006384,0.011362&hnear=Av+Rep%C3%BAblica+de+El+Salvador+N34-127+Y+SUIZA.+EDI.+MURANO+PLAZA+PISO+3+SUITE+34.,+La+Carolina,+Quito,+Distrito+Metropolitano+de+Quito,+Pichincha,+Ecuador&t=m&z=17
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 10:16:32 AM by rhoadsrage »

Offline Javit

• Old Ale
  • A wild rumpus!
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 01:46:31 PM »
You'll be close to the Turtle's Head Pub if that's where you're at:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=turtle%27s+head+pub+quito&safe=off&client=firefox-a&channel=sb&ie=UTF-8&ei=sKoDU6zjHMvqoASy9oD4Bw&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ
https://www.facebook.com/The.Turtles.Head

You'll also be moderately close to Plaza Foch as well (Gringolandia) where there are a lot of bars and clubs and good restaurants.  Careful though, it can get dangerous there at night. 

Turtle's Head was still brewing beer the last time I was there (nothing crazy, but better than the standard Club or Pilsenser that you'll get everywhere else). 

You won't find much selection outside of a few German imports either.  I recommend going to Old Town and drinking as much Canelazo as you can. 

Real chicha won't be easy to find unless you venture out of the city or know some seedy places. 
- Oswaldo Guayasamín

Offline rhoadsrage

• VIP Member
  • Double IPA
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 02:16:36 PM »

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=turtle%27s+head+pub+quito&safe=off&client=firefox-a&channel=sb&ie=UTF-8&ei=sKoDU6zjHMvqoASy9oD4Bw&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ

You'll also be moderately close to Plaza Foch as well (Gringolandia) where there are a lot of bars and clubs and good restaurants.  Careful though, it can get dangerous there at night. 

Turtle's Head was still brewing beer the last time I was there (nothing crazy, but better than the standard Club or Pilsenser that you'll get everywhere else). 

You won't find much selection outside of a few German imports either.  I recommend going to Old Town and drinking as much Canelazo as you can. 

Real chicha won't be easy to find unless you venture out of the city or know some seedy places.

Thanks that helps a lot.  I saw some reviews for Turtle head, Canelazo sounds nice.  I might BM you with questions about places to take the family. 

Offline Javit

• Old Ale
  • A wild rumpus!
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 06:59:42 PM »

Thanks that helps a lot.  I saw some reviews for Turtle head, Canelazo sounds nice.  I might BM you with questions about places to take the family.

:thumbup:

Happy to help.

For that taste of home there's a TGIFridays in Quicentro  :P
- Oswaldo Guayasamín

Offline rhoadsrage

• VIP Member
  • Double IPA
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2014, 12:35:53 PM »

:thumbup:

Happy to help.

For that taste of home there's a TGIFridays in Quicentro  :P

Can't be as bad as the Pizza Hut in San Jose, Costa Rica.  ( I was out voted on that one).  I hope TGIF has coca leaves as an appetizer.